Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: Ford significantly updated the Fusion for the 2010 model year. We wish they hadn't

2010 Ford Fusion fuel system problems

2010 Ford Fusion Owner Comments (Page 3 of 11)

Nov 032013

Fusion 4-cyl

Driving approximately 70mph at night on the interstate when engine stopped producing power. Rough idle and vibration, forcing me to coast to the shoulder. Pressing gas pedal had no effect even though engine was running. I attempted to restart and was successful. This occurred four times during my 30 mile trip. Each time I was forced to coast to the side of the road during moderate traffic. Once on a side street I was forced to stop in the driving lane as there was no shoulder. Very dangerous. On all of the occasions the wrench light illuminated as well as the check engine light. I called the dealer the next morning and they were very familiar with the problem. My car was out of warranty, so I was forced to pay for the part and labor. Ford knows that there is a faulty part that causes a hazardous loss of power and control of the vehicle. Error code was P2111.

- Fishers, IN, USA

Nov 042013

Fusion 4-cyl

I was driving South on coburg road about 10:00 am this morning and the car started to rock front and back and my speed suddenly dropped. I went from about 25 mph to drifting and about 2 to 5 mph in traffic. I coasted and turned at the next intersection and pulled over. All of a sudden a warning light came on to check the engine. I was able to restart the car and drive about 3 miles to the Ford dealership. This happened 3 times on the way to the shop. The total cost was about $350 and I was told that it wasn't covered under warranty. I was told it was the throttle body. We have 2 Ford Fusion and I am concerned that the same thing will happen to the 2012 while my wife is driving. Extremely unsafe.

- Eugene, OR, USA

Jun 142013

Fusion 4-cyl

This is a complaint for an issue that has an existing preliminary evaluation - NHTSA PE13003. I purchased a 2010 Ford Fusion sel in July 2010. It was purchased new. In may of 2013, while driving on city streets with my 3 year old daughter, my vehicle appeared to stall as I was turning at a traffic light. While the vehicle was still powered, my ability to control the vehicle or accelerate to speeds over 5 mph was instantly removed. I was able to limp to the side of the road and restart the car, which drove normally until the next day when I was driving across town to meet the person providing me a ride to and from the Ford dealership. Over the course of an hour, my vehicle exhibited the same symptoms 4 separate times while trying to get to a Ford dealership. The dealership reported to me the next ay that I would have to have the throttle body replaced, at a cost of $486. None of the cost would be covered under warranty, and that I would be advised to have the work done immediately as the necessary replacement part was in shortage nationwide, and the dealership only had 1 on hand. I had the part replaced, and the vehicle has functioned normally since.

- Sugar Hill, GA, USA

Nov 022013

Fusion 4-cyl

Driving along at normal highway speed the vehicles jerked once and then did not respond to pressing the gas pedal. As I coasted to side of the road, I noticed the RPM gauge sputtering between 500-1100 RPM. As I stopped the vehicle it began to shake. I turned off the ignition and restarted it. I drove another 5 miles and the problem recurred. This happened twice more before I arrived at my job at different speeds.

- Summerville, SC, USA

Oct 312013

Fusion 4-cyl Diesel

My wife was driving home from work on interstate 85, she was in the middle lane, 70 mph at rush hour, a wrench light came on and the car lost all power, she almost got rear ended, and could barely get the car to the side of the road, it did start again after a few minutes, she got it to the dealer, they told her it was the throttle body, which had gone bad.

- Youngsville, NC, USA

Sep 252013

Fusion 4-cyl

The throttle body on my 2010 Ford Fusion SE failed. My car lost power and stalled out four times while driving in traffic. I have replaced the part and would certainly like to see Ford recall this part.

- Auburn, NY, USA

Oct 152013

Fusion 4-cyl

At the end of an interstate on ramp, the Ford Fusion clunked, stalled, and the wrench light came on. It was in a very dangerous place. Lots of honking that I could do nothing about. After turning the car off and back on a couple of times, I was able to get it to a less dangerous place. Towed it to the Ford garage where they replaced the throttle body.

- Altoona, IA, USA

Oct 232013

Fusion 4-cyl

Tried to start vehicle after filling up on gas, already had about 1/4 tank prior to fill up, recently driving for several miles (car is warmed up fully) and it immediately stalled. This had never happened to me, and it occurred to me that just before the gas fill up I noticed somewhat rough engine response in a very short drive from across the street. I've read that there are issue with throttle body faults on Fusion and escape that do not log under normal odb 2 codes after turning engine off. I never saw the check engine light come on.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Oct 162013

Fusion 4-cyl

Driving 75mph on highway vehicle suddenly without warning or signals stalls. The vehicle dropped the speed from 75mph to 10mph as I continuously was trying to accelerate the speed but was unsuccessful. The code of P211 throttle body is defective & thank god no vehicle was behind me cause it could of caused a tremendous crash accident.

- Alice, TX, USA

Sep 012013

Fusion 4-cyl

Driving southbound on Georgia 400 in center right and car engine stops. Pushed gas pedal a few times, but car would not respond and slowed down quickly. Was heading uphill just South of the chatahoochee river. Electrical was working as radio remained on and I was able to apply hazard lights and coast to the shoulder. Placed card in park and turned ignition off. Immediately turned ignition on and car started. Was able to drive car to destination with no issue. I paid Ford dealership to replace throttle body and motor assembly.

- Livonia, MI, USA

Oct 122013

Fusion 4-cyl

We were driving approximately 65 mph when the car suddenly started to decelerate at a rapid pace and eventually stalled. We noticed a wrench light on the dashboard as we pulled the car over. After restarting the car we were able to drive a couple of miles before the same thing would occur. After a couple more times of having to pull over and restart the car the check engine light also came on. Thankfully we were able to get to a family members house as we were approx 90 miles from home. The code we pulled from the car was P2111.....indicative of this infamous throttle body problem in this make and model. We ended up having to get towed to the nearest dealership 35 miles away.....yet another 35 from our home. Thankfully this was covered under our extended warranty plan from Ford. A coworker of mine had the exact same issue about 6 months ago....same make/model/year. Luckily the highway we were on wasn't busy at the time the car stalled repeatedly. I don't see how this can't be a recall......

- El Dorado, KS, USA

Oct 172013

Fusion 8-cyl

Car would not accelerate, wrench symbol displayed. Had to be towed. Dtc code P2111 (throttle body had to be replaced). 6 weeks out of warranty as not covered by powertrain extended warranty.

- Flushing, MI, USA

Oct 162013

Fusion 4-cyl

Driving down interstate and lost all throttle response. Fortunately was able to pull over to the side and turn car off. Re-started and was able to make it home. P2111 error code; sounds exactly the same as hundreds of other complaints about these models. Mechanics all say the same thing, faulty throttle body and needs replacement. Someone needs to step in at some point and force Ford to issue a recall.

- Bradenton, FL, USA

Oct 062013

Fusion 4-cyl

I was approximately 2 miles from my starting point traveling at a speed of 55 mph. Suddenly, the 2010 Ford Fusion lurched while shifting into overdrive. When it lurched all ability to accelerate was lost. With cars on each side, I had no ability to accelerate; I lost speed quickly and worked my way to the side of the road (very dangerous situation). I immediately noticed the ┐┐wrench symbol warning light on the dashboard, but did not know what that warning signified. During the loss of acceleration, the car did not lose power steering and it remained running, but the engine was sputtering and not idling at a steady pace. When I got to the side of the road, I put the car in park and tried to ┐┐rev┐Ł up the engine, but I had absolutely no control of the throttle. The wrench light was still on. I then turned off the ignition and waited about 1 minute then restarted. The car again had no acceleration ability and sputtered which sounded very much like a cough. I turned the car off again and called for assistance. Approximately 5 minutes later, when assistance arrived, I started the car again. At this time, the wrench warning light was off and the car appeared to idle normally. Upon research, I found that the wrench symbol means: Throttle control/transmission problem. The driver of the car should contact the authorized dealer for service as soon as possible.

- Edwardsville, IL, USA

Jul 062013

Fusion 4-cyl

I was going down the freeway at approximately 65 mph, and out of nowhere my car lost power and began to decrease speed. I tried to press the accelerator and there was no response. I pulled to the side of the road and put the car in park and it was very rough idling. I turned off the car, waited a few seconds and turned the car back on and it seemed fine. Now this has happened to me at least 20 times in the last few months, at random times and speeds. The scariest one for me was in a very busy intersection and my car did this 4 times trying to get through the intersection. I would really like to see this get fixed as soon as possible before someone really does get hurt.

- Livingston, TX, USA

Sep 042013

Fusion 4-cyl

Car stopped just as I was making a left hand turn in a busy intersection. Put flashers on, re-started the car and limped through the intersection on a yellow light, and pulled over. Limped to a Ford dealership 7 miles away and had the throttle body replaced for $444.

- Lake Forest , IL, USA

Sep 042013

Fusion 4-cyl

2010 Ford Fusion, maintenance light comes on and all gas/throttle is cut to rough idle with no response. This incident has almost caused accidents to stalling while trying to cross roads. You have to remove the key and restart 1-4 times before the light goes away and you can use the throttle, all while it may shut off again after you get moved just a little way.

- Durant, OK, USA

Sep 272013

Fusion 4-cyl

The rpms on the car surged and then that car shut off, and would only stay running for 15 seconds afterward. The autoshop is have to replace the throttle body.

- Pendleton, SC, USA

Sep 252013

Fusion 4-cyl

Driving on roadway making a turn when car began to buck & stall out. Car would not go over 1000 RPM. Gas pedal would not respond. Car would not go over 5mph. Made it to a parking lot. Called a tow truck & had the car towed to dealership. They called & let me know that the throttle body was defective & had to be replaced. Car just has 66,000 miles luckily we weren't on the highway when this occurred could have had an accident.

- Ashland, MO, USA

Sep 102013

Fusion 4-cyl

When I drive on I26 in nc going up hill. Gas peddler just quit working and slow speed down fast. I was hurry pull over. Dang 18 wheeler is piss off me for front of truck. They blow horn loud which I know they mad me. I have no choice to pull front truck because they can slow down. I not want car in middle of hwy. That scare me. I turn off for min to calm down my self. Then I try start again and gas peddler back working. But next day I was in local store it did again so I pull over side rd I did hit mailbox because I can not speed up. Ford dealer act like they not know why. After I read website learn that many of 2010 Fusion have same problem. I went back show the print. He say ohoh yeah I know this then say 400 dollar change part in just 30 min. I refuse buy because he lie to me. What can I do" what is correct price"

- Inman, SC, USA