2.6

2010 Ford Fusion fuel system problems

2010 Ford Fusion Owner Comments (Page 4 of 11)

Sep 132013

Fusion 4-cyl

My car suddenly lost power and turned off 3 times in the past week. The first time at about 9pm I was driving on the freeway when my car suddenly shut off going at about 65 mph. It was scary as the car seemed to jerk and swerve before shutting off. I had to cruise off to the right but with traffic blowing by so fast and my car dropping speed super fast I almost got into a car accident. I was able to turn the car back on about 10 min later and got off the freeway. About 5 miles later the car shut off again at a slower speed appx. 15mph. My check engine light came on and my car no longer started. I got towed home. Today 9/16/13 my car started and I drove to my nearest Ford service center (sunrise Ford North hollywood). While on my way my car shut off again. I waited 5 min. And it started again. My car was diagnosed ($150) and I was told that it was the electronic throttle body. Total cost of repair is going to cost me apprx $480. This includes diagnostic, parts and labor. Oh and I was told that this part is back ordered. Powertrain warranty does not cover this issue and my 3 year 36000 miles expired. I was having jerking problems with the car at about 36,000 miles, I was told that my warranty expired and that I had a bad battery.

- North Hollywood, CA, USA

Sep 122013

Fusion 4-cyl

While driving approximately 40mph on a six lane divided road, the wrench caution light appeared (indicating transmission/throttle malfunction). The engine RPM immediately dropped and began fluctuating around 1,000 and the vehicle began to shake violently. There was absolutely no response to accelerator inputs. The driver was able to maneuver the vehicle clear of traffic. The maximum speed that could be attained at the fluctuating RPM was 14 mph. It is a miracle the vehicle was not in rear end collision as the posted speed limit was 45mph. Car was allowed to idle at the reduced RPM while driver inspected the engine and pressed the accelerator. The car was turned off and back on (with a little bit of trouble turning over). The incident occurred once on 26aug2013, four times on 13sep2013, and once on 14sep2013. The car has not been driven since the last occurrence. The vehicle was taken to a mechanic who recommended taking it to a Ford dealership due to only having 1,400 miles left on the powertrain warranty. The service department was able to pull P2111 code. After receiving an exorbitant quote for the repair ($230 for part, $280 for labor) with no estimated delivery date for the backordered part, the repair was denied to allow for further research. The dealer has absolutely no qualms releasing the car with a known malfunction, presenting a hazard to the driver and others on the road. A car that immediately decelerates should be considered as dangerous as an uncommanded acceleration. To prevent serious injury/death, Ford should issue and immediate recall for the failing throttle body.

- Chesapeake, VA, USA

Sep 142013

Fusion 4-cyl

Driving at highway speed of 55 mph vehicle shook and lost all power. Pressing gas pedal down had no effect on vehicle RPM or speed. Coasted to side of the road. Engine continued to run erratically. Shut engine off and waited a few minutes. Restarted vehicle, appeared to be fine. Throttle response normal. Resumed driving. After approx one mile same issue, complete loss of power at 55 mph! attempted restart again and appeared normal. Drove 5 miles and issue happened again!. attempted restart and appeared normal but this time the check engine light was illuminated. Pulled stored faulted code - P2111 throttle actuator control system stuck open. Lots of reports on web with same common problem. This part is clearly defective and should be recalled. Going to take to dealer for repair but will probably have to pay as car is outside the 3 yr warranty period. Part cost is ~$400 so not looking forward to this bill. Losing engine power control at highway speeds has a very great potential to cause an accident and it is only a matter of time before this defective part is responsible for killing someone. Please issue a recall asap!!

- Sauk Rapids, MN, USA

Sep 132013

Fusion 4-cyl

When driving through a intersection the car just quits working almost were ran into many times. I took the car to the Ford dealer and they are replacing the throttle body.

- Streamwood, IL, USA

Sep 122013

Fusion 4-cyl

I was slowing to exit the interstate when the yellow wrench light came on and the car lost power. I was able pull the car to the side of the road. The engine was running extremely roughly and I turned it off. After about 15 seconds, I was able to restart the car and it acted normally. I was able to continue on my way. I parked the car several times and had normal restarts. I headed home. I only got a few miles before the yellow wrench light came on and then the yellow engine light. I was not possible at this point to restart the car without the yellow wrench light coming on immediately. I had the car towed to a local dealership. They determined the car had an error code P2111. The dealer replaced the throttlebody.

- York, ME, USA

Sep 082013

Fusion 4-cyl

While traveling on I64 Sunday September 8th on the way home from williamsburg, my car, while in a lot of heavy traffic on the interstate, stalled and the " wrench " light came on. Luckily I had good control of the car to pull off the interstate. The car lost all power and wouldn't response to throttle input. The car was shut off and after 10 minutes, attempt to restart car which was successful. Car run normally for about 140 additional miles, then stalled to low power and lack of throttle response yet again. Turning off and then turning back on was unsuccessful in getting the vehicle to run normal again. Tow truck was called and vehicle towed to local Ford dealership. Was informed that the throttle body was the culprit and was on backorder. If this is a known problem, why are people being put at risk for serious injury or death, without being informed of the potential of probable stalling.

- Grottoes, VA, USA

Sep 112013

Fusion 4-cyl

This is the third incident (different days) where I've been driving and the car starts to lose power. The wrench light came on and the car stutters and loses power. The past two times (different days), it happened once and I shut the car off and restarted and it was fine. Today I went 3-4 miles in the city and it happened 5-6 times in a short period. I have a scheduled appointment with the Ford dealership in our area. They said they do this same repair (throttle) 2-3 times a week. I am very frustrated and disgusted with Ford. There have been numerous reports and still no recall. Are they waiting until someone gets killed before they will do something? the dealership said it would cost about $500 and luckily they have the part in stock.

- St. Johns, MI, USA

Sep 102013

Fusion 4-cyl

Drove off from work and shortly after I noticed the car slowed down and started to vibrate and finally lost power. I was able to pull over, I turned off car then tried to restart but it did the same thing. I then decided to shut it off again and give it more time surely after a few minutes it seemed to be fine but right before getting home it happened again. Husband drove to autozone and had a diagnostic check and results were..."trouble shooting problem from auto zone code P2111 the throttle actuator control system".

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Sep 242012

Fusion 4-cyl

While I was driving, the car would loose power. It would not die but would not have any acceleration. When I pulled off the road the idle would get very rough. I shut the car off and started it back up, then it would operate properly for awhile. Then it would do the same thing at different times and different speeds.

- Houston, TX, USA

Aug 012013

Fusion 4-cyl

While on highway the vehicle stuttered, lost all throttle power (no acceleration) and the wrench light came on. Had to pull over to the nearest shoulder while losing speed. Once stopped the car jittered and tugged and continued to do so even while in park! after turning the vehicle off and then waiting a while, it started up without the issue and without the wrench light on. After taking it to the Ford dealership they told us it was the throttle body and that we would have to wait until it was ordered because it was backordered and also they said we would not be covered for this under warranty. I suspect they know of their faulty products and had the audacity to charge so much to get it fixed. This is truly a safety hazard.

- Spring Valley, CA, USA

Aug 012013

Fusion

Throttle body faults w/out warning (Ford part 9E926). When driving at highway speed the engine light (wrench) appeared and the car abruptly lost acceleration decreasing immediately from 70 mph to approx 10 mph in high speed interstate traffic. Engine idle bounced between 1.5 and 3.5 RPM causing the car to jerk and feel like it was going to stall. I was driving with my 5 year old son and was almost rear ended and nearly struck several times by other cars on the interstate still traveling at a high rate of speed while I had to switch lanes limping at 10mph. I was able to restart the car and clear the engine error after I reached the should and proceed. However this has continued to occur and even when the car is running without the engine light the RPM bounces around and the engine will not idle properly. The second time this happened I was in the middle of a busy intersection and lost thrust stalling and blocking oncoming traffic. In the last month I would estimate this has occurred 3-4 times per week during normal driving. I contacted Ford and was informed there was no recall however the part is on indefinite back-order and unavailable to me for repair. It may be several weeks before I can even obtain the part. I am forced to drive this car not knowing when it's going to shut down again and hoping that I am not involved in an accident while I wait for the part. This is entirely unacceptable.

- Tallahassee, FL, USA

Sep 062013

Fusion 4-cyl

Wednesday, two days before the incident I had taken my vehicle to Ford for the $423.74 recommended 60,000 miles service. The car had never stalled before this scheduled service. Friday I was traveling on a three lane interstate in traffic and passing a vehicle in the left hand lane when I realized that I had completely lost power. Everything was working, steering, air, radio, etc. But there was no power when pressing the gas pedal. I was placed in a dangerous situation as I made my way without power to the right hand lane and the side of the road coasting slowly. As I slowed I once tried moving the car from drive to low but still no power. When my car had almost stopped I could feel a bumpy low power as I pressed the gas. The car stopped and I turned off the engine. I immediately tried to start the car again but nothing happened. It was like the starter was bad, but after 5 minutes the car started and behaved normally. I immediately took the car back to the Ford dealer and was told it was the throttle body and that there is a problem with it but not a recall. It costs over $500 to fix. I was lucky not to have been involved in an accident because of this problem. There needs to be a recall. This is unacceptable.

- Zionsville, IN, USA

Sep 062013

Fusion 4-cyl

My car's throttle has failed about 20 times over the last few days. About 10 of those failures occurred on a dangerous interstate highway in heavy traffic. The car loses throttle and must be pulled to the side of the road, turned off, and restarted each time. The potential for an accident was high and I consider myself lucky.

- Mt Laurel, NJ, USA

Sep 092013

Fusion 4-cyl

This is the second incident where I've been driving and the car started to lose power. The wrench light came on and the car started stuttering. I was able to pull over to the side of the road and shut the car off and restart. It started a little rough so I turned off the air, and it drove fine. I'm seeing a lot of comments from others that they are having the same problem and it ends up being the throttle. I'm now deciding my next step.

- St. Johns, MI, USA

Aug 212013

Fusion 4-cyl

Car suddenly without any warning loses all power. Faulty electronic throttle control.

- Port Washington, WI, USA

Aug 032013

Fusion 6-cyl

Car engine shut off at 40 mph, step on gas nothing happens. Car jerks and sputters. Must pull to side of road and shut off engine. Wait 2 minutes and try to restart. Returned to dealer without success 3 times. Car has shut off 6 times since at different speeds and heavy traffic. A real safety hazard!

- Friendsville, MD, USA

Aug 182013

Fusion

On August 18,2013 I was driving about 50 mph when car went limp( did not stall), idle was very rough. After trying for about 10 minutes to figure out what was wrong, we turned off engine and restarted car. The car was fine for the next week. Then on August 25, 2013 the same thing happened again. Again, repeated turning engine off and restarted. On August 26, 2013, I was wait in a drive through and the car stalled. I had to keep the car running by two footing it ( one foot on gas all the time and one on break as to not hit the car in front of me). I then called my mechanic and we replaced the battery since it read weak, and no codes come up when put on computer. That did not fix the problem. After he did research on the problem, he replaced the throttle body. This should be a recall part. It is going to cause a death one of these times when the car goes limp traveling on highways and such.

- Factoryville, PA, USA

Sep 052013

Fusion 4-cyl

While driving this morning my car seemed to "surge". almost felt like it was going to stall a few times at stop lights and such. Then while going 45-50 mph my car wouldn't respond when I pushed the accelerator. When I pulled to the side of the road, the car started shaking. There was a wrench light in my dash that came on. When I turned off the car I restarted it and it ran with the surging problem until I reached my destination. No wrench light when I restarted the car.

- Prior Lake, MN, USA

Jul 182012

Fusion 4-cyl

I was driving on the highway, and all of a sudden, my car slow down quickly and a light came on that looked like a wrench. I had to pull over quickly and try to restart the car, it restarted and I was on my way. This happened several other times and eventually, the vehicle would start, but wouldn't move. Took the vehicle to the dealership, to be told I needed a new throttle body on a vehicle that was two years old. The warranty was up due to the mileage and the cost was around $600. This appears to be a known issue, but Ford is not stepping up to the plate and covering the cost of the repair.

- Indianapolis, IN, USA

Jul 092013

Fusion 6-cyl

This has happened on multiple occasions. While driving down the road going approx 45 mph. Suddenly the vehicle would lose throttle response and/or stall all together. On at least two occasions I have almost been rear-ended once almost by a semi-truck. I have done my research on the symptoms concerning my vehicle, and have found out that this is due to a failing throttle body. I have also found out that this has happened on quite a lot of Ford Fusion built at least between 2006 and 2011. I am quite surprised that Ford has not issued a recall on these vehicles' parts, this is definitely a safety issue.

- Orlando, FL, USA