Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: Ford significantly updated the Fusion for the 2010 model year. We wish they hadn't

2010 Ford Fusion fuel system problems

2010 Ford Fusion Owner Comments (Page 5 of 11)

Aug 252013

Fusion 4-cyl

As I was driving on the interstate, my car began to lose power and I could not accelerate. Fortunately, I was in the far right lane and was able to pull off the highway safely. Had I been in the center or far left lane, my safety and that of my passenger could have been seriously jeopardized. Aaa towed me to a Ford dealer and it was necessary to replace the throttle body. I have since learned that this is a common problem with this model and believe a recall should be in order.

- Southgate, MI, USA

Jul 272013

Fusion 4-cyl

The car has died unexpectedly. The wrench and engine light will go on, it did it once on July 27, Aug. 24 and 25 and on Sept 4, it died twice on the freeway in rush hour traffic. The Ford service dept. Diagnosed it as a "faltering throttle box". there is a wait of a month for these.

- Greendale, WI, USA

Aug 302013

Fusion 4-cyl

Driving on highway, traveling at appx 65-70 miles per hour - car started rattling and then slowed down considerably - car did not stall, but pressing on the gas pedal and the car did not accelerate. Was able to safely pull over, turned the car off, tried to drive, but the car wouldn't drive - engine worked fine, but car would not move forward or backward. Yellow wrench light came on. Had car towed to dealership. Was told it needs a new throttle body assembly.

- St Clair Shores, MI, USA

Sep 022013

Fusion 4-cyl

PE13-003 my 2009-2011 Ford escape, Fusion, mariner and Milan electronic throttle body malfunction 21-Feb-2013 my 2010 Ford Fusion 4 cylinder has malfunctioned twice in two days with sudden power loss and the wrench icon of the gauge cluster. Each time, the engine would drop to 800 RPM and crawl at less then 20 mph. The first incident was near hunt auto as leaving a 4-way stop on Sunday with near 90 degree heat. The second was Monday while on I-65 N near millersville at 68 mph. Scary. Both times I had to pull over, inspect the idle behavior, turn the car off, wait 30 seconds then turn-on again fine with normal behavior. After research, this appears to be under investigation by the NHTSA since Feb 2013 as likely throttle body issues of this engine type. I have sent this info to my local Ford dealer please advise and assist as possible.

- Franklin, KY, USA

Jul 202012

Fusion 6-cyl

At highway speed, there was a controlled loss of power to the engine. Upon shutting down and restarting, the problem cleared but recurred. The vehicle was serviced and the electronic throttle body was replaced.

- Savannah, GA, USA

Aug 312013

Fusion 6-cyl

Driving on a busy interstate highway when suddenly my car looses power and goes into limp mode. Absolutely no throttle response. Wrench light indicator came on. I pulled over to the side of the road and my car shuttered a bit as I slowed down. Turned the car off and waited a minute before restarting. Restarted sluggishly. Began driving again and no more than 5 minutes later, the same thing happened. This time the check engine light came on. Once again, turned car off, restarted and began driving again. Made it into a local brake/muffler shop where they were kind enough to diagnose the problem for me. Error code P2112 came over with a description about the throttle body actuator being stuck closed. They informed me they've seen this problem many times and it seems to be a common issue. It made sense to me because, leading up to this event, I had been experiencing a lagging throttle. It has happened to me twice more since this initial occurrence.

- Wappingers Falls, NY, USA

Jul 302013

Fusion 4-cyl

Fuel inlet error on dash..transmission shifts hard when pulling out.

- Man, WV, USA

Aug 242013

Fusion 4-cyl Diesel

Turned onto side street traveling at about 30 mph. Suddenly lost power and car began to buck and chug. Car stalled twice and re-started but only could go between 5 and 10 mph, bucking all the way about a mile or so to a service station where I left it to be repaired. Had to call friends for a ride home. It actually bucked more going downhill where I was able to get up to 10 mph. Mechanic replaced throttle body housing at a cost of $543.56, parts, labor and tax. Running the car like that also fouled spark plugs and it cost me another $285 for a tune up.

- Wayland, MA, USA

Aug 092013

Fusion 4-cyl

Friday August 9, 2013 turning right on green light and lost all forward power, but engine did not stall car would move very slowly on engine idle. Turned key off then car started back up ran ok. Sunday August 11, 2013 driving in traffic a 45mph lost all forward power was able to stop at the side of the road without being rear ended in traffic. Monday August 12, 2013 turning left out of driveway into traffic lost all forward power was able to get to curb before being T-boned in traffic. On Monday August 12, 2013 had throttle body assembly replaced at a cost of $488.56. $324.34 for a part that should last longer then 45,000 miles.

- Toledo, OH, USA

Aug 212013

Fusion 4-cyl

Without warning, engine stalled on highway at 60 mph causing rapid deceleration. After restart, continued intermittent stalling without warning creating a hazardous situation.

- West Monroe, NY, USA

Aug 072013

We just bought the car the day before and as my son backed it out of the driveway the car lost power. After turning the engine off and on again he was able to drive the car normally. The car was driven without any problems for about two weeks. But after about two weeks, the car was being driven at about 40mph when it suddenly lost power. After coasting to the side of the road and turning the engine off and on again it briefly regained power but the car went only about 100ft before losing power again. After letting the car sit for 20 minutes we were able to start it and drive the remaining half mile home. We had dismissed the first incident as possibly being a mistake on the part of my son driving an unfamiliar vehicle and perhaps not shifting properly when backing out of the driveway. But the second incident was clearly an indication of a failure on the part of the vehicle. It was not safe to drive. Although the problem was intermittent, a loss in power could happen at any time and could potentially leave us helpless without power in a dangerous situation. We had the car towed to a Ford dealer who determined that the problem was a bad throttle body. They replaced it at a cost to us of $537. A throttle body that fails at less than 100,000 miles is defective and should be recalled because of the safety issue.

- Midland, MI, USA

Aug 132013

Fusion 4-cyl Diesel

I was driving down the interstate and I pushed the gas pedal but the car would not accelerate. This happened twice within 2 miles. I took the car to a local garage and they said it was the throttle body. I took the vehicle to my local Ford dealership and paid for it to be fixed because the car was no longer under warranty. Hopefully if there is a recall, I can get reimbursed for my repair bill.

- Covington, GA, USA

Aug 122013

Fusion 4-cyl

My wife and son were in the car and had stopped at a busy 4-way stop intersection. With no prior warning the car started to shake and the check engine light and battery light came on. The power steering was barely working and the car stalled just past the intersection. They were able to restart the car, but the minute the car was put in drive it would start shaking etc.... we had to have the car towed back to van bortel Ford in East rochester NY for repairs. The dealership stated that we needed a new throttle body ($465.34) and a new battery ($123.90) on a 3 year old car. They indicated they new of a possible recall and told us to hang on to our receipt for a refund if the recall happens.

- Penfiled, NY, USA

Jun 092013

Fusion 4-cyl

Pulled out into traffic and my car lost all acceleration and began to shudder when I got it to the shoulder. Turned it off, and back on: No issue. Less than 40 yards down the road it did it again. Took it to auto zone, the only code that came up was that my "fuel door stuck open". which is impossible, because it came with a "racing cap" I.e no twist-off cap. Drove fine for two months, then came back something awful to the tune of freeway 75mph to zero, at which point it went into "limp mode" and barely made it home due to numerous stalls. Just had to replace this defective throttle body on a 3-year old car. Ridiculous Ford. Also, my drivers' side interior door handle broke out of nowhere.

- Livonia, MI, USA

Aug 102013

Fusion 4-cyl

As I was driving on the interstate the car RPM jumped and the car proceeded to shake a bit. When I tried to give the car gas nothing happened. We had to pull off to the side of the road, when the car began to shake much harder. We were forced to turn the car off, wait a moment a turn the car back on. It has done this two us a couple of times while we wait for the part to come in.

- New Providence , PA, USA

Aug 152013

Fusion 4-cyl

It 68000 miles had to replace the throttle body on this 2010 Ford Fusion 2.5.this is not under the 80000 mile coverage, and it is a part of the fuel system that is covered.

- Durham, NC, USA

Nov 072012

Fusion 6-cyl

We had just bought our 2010 Ford Fusion 10 days prior to this incident. I had just picked up my children from school and when I was leaving the school parking lot I had too come to a complete stop (which is on a downward slope) when trying to accelerate the car lost all power and had shut off, I had no control of course and rolled right in front of an oncoming school bus that was in other lane. The bus had to come to a complete stop to avoid hitting us. It cranked right back up but seemed a little sluggish. My little girl was screaming for me to turn (which I was trying but could do nothing) she was very upset and crying. It never showed any sign of problems before hand. I contacted the dealer we purchased it from and they said they could do nothing it was not a Ford dealer it was used when we bought it with 50000 miles. I contacted a Ford dealership and they said unless it showed a sign they could do nothing I have tried other mechanics and nothing. We did have throttle body checked and it was fine. We have had several incidents of it shutting off with no warning and it is a regular basis it seems to not want to go when I press the seems slow to respond. The shutting off of the car only seems to happen when im trying to take off from a stopped position then it will die right after it starts going. This makes me very nervous and not want to go anywhere. We haven't had it long so we cant get rid of it due to the negative we have in the car and cant afford higher pmt. I will never go with Ford again not saying that all are like this, but one bad apple can spoil them all for me.

- Vinemont, AL, USA

Aug 152013

Fusion 4-cyl

I had just started and was exiting a retail establishment. I was driving down a slight incline approaching a stop light when the car started shaking and dramatically lost speed. The wrench light came on which according to the manual indicates a possible powertrain/transmission issue. I turned the car off and then restarted (in the middle of the road) and drove to a safe location. I was lucky that at the time I was driving at a slow speed and approaching a stop light. If a car had been behind me someone would have been injured.

- Louisville, KY, USA

Aug 122013

Fusion 4-cyl

Gasoline is leaking through welded seam of gas tank.

- La Salle, MI, USA

Aug 092013

Fusion 4-cyl

Car loses power and stalls at city or highway speeds (have to pull over). Car shuts down when idling. Ford was contacted by our service center and we're told we need a new throttle body, but they are on back-order. There are at least 5000 orders ahead of us. Service person said he is not aware of a recall for this problem. Car was purchased new.

- Marshfield, WI, USA