Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: Ford significantly updated the Fusion for the 2010 model year. We wish they hadn't

2010 Ford Fusion fuel system problems

2010 Ford Fusion Owner Comments (Page 8 of 11)

Jul 092013

Fusion 4-cyl

While driving my 2010 Ford Fusion at around 25 mph, the vehicle stalled while in motion and I could not accelerate. The wrench warning light also came on. Luckily, I managed to get my vehicle safely to the side of the road, and when I placed it in park, the car started to shudder. I turned the car off, and when I re-started it, the warning light was gone and the car was operating normally. I am very lucky that the stall did not occur on the highway at a faster speed. A co-worker of mine also has a 2010 Ford Fusion and had this same issue a few months ago.

- Glen Allen, VA, USA

Fusion 4-cyl

We lost all acceleration while pulling out of the store parking lot. We turned off the car, started it up again and it did the same thing while turning left into our neighborhood. Luckily no traffic behind or oncoming while making these left turns. We got it to the dealer and they said it was the throttle body, not under warranty, not on recall, advised against driving our car, did not have a car for us to drive, would not pay for a rental, and the part was on nationwide back order for a month! we called Ford customer service told them our situation (my wife is six months pregnant without a vehicle for a month). They agreed to pay for a rental car and put us on an expedited list. However, we have yet to hear when that part is coming in.

- Elkhart, IN, USA

Jul 072013

Fusion 4-cyl

Engine wrench light comes on, car will not maintain speed, engine drops to rough idle, accelerator is unresponsive. Car must be stopped, with trans mission in park, turned off and restarted. It has done this 9 times in the last day and a half... once while turning across traffic. This puts my life and passenger's lives at jeopardy.

- St Charles, MO, USA

Jul 052013

Fusion 6-cyl

While driving in heavy traffic the car suddenly lost power, I pulled the car over to get out of the traffic. I came to a stop turned the engine off let it sit for approximately 10 minutes. I restarted the engine it seemed fine, I attempted to return home but experienced the same problem twice on my way home. I called the dealer to bring the car in regarding the problem. I described the problem to the service advisor, he seemed to know immediately what is causing the problem. $575 later I'm back on the road. Less than 4,000 out of warranty and this happens, it seems a common occurrence with other Fusion.

- Raleigh, NC, USA

Jun 232013

Fusion 4-cyl

June 22nd driving with my family to church along major highway at a rate of 60-62 mph the vehicle just went limp and I was barely able to pull the car over into the emergency lane. The car behind slammed its brake and horn. Wrench light came on. I turned off car ignition and waited a couple of minutes. Needed time to compose myself after almost being struck from behind. Started the vehicle and wrench light was off. Placed my emergency flashers on and drove very slowly off the next highway exit. Left car in commuter lot and called my wife to pick me up in the dependable Honda. This vehicle has placed my family's lives in a unsafe position. I will never trust driving it.

- Norwalk, CT, USA

Dec 102012

Fusion 4-cyl

Traded in our Ford freestyle to purchase used 2010 Fusion vehicle in September 2013 with 53,000 miles and a 30-day warranty. This was our third Ford vehicle and we've enjoyed dependability, comfort and safe driving with our previous Ford, so we saw no need in purchasing a warranty. One month later, we were struck by hurricane sandy. Our Honda CRV-06 parked along side the Fusion was nearly totaled by a downed tree but not a scratch to the Fusion just few inches away. Now, we wish that the Fusion would have been in it¿¿ place. We noticed a rubbing right away to find our the stamford dealership sold us a car with summer tires and warped rims. December 2012, light came on which looked like a fuel cap. They told us it's a sensor and would cost $300 part is on back order. They reset light.

- Norwalk, CT, USA

Jul 032013

Fusion 4-cyl

I was making a turn into a mall when my car's accelerator quit working. I let off and pressed the accelerator and still nothing. I had to coast over to the side of the road and turn my car off. I left it off for a minute and restarted. It worked fine after the restart. A few miles later I had the same problem on the interstate at 60 mph. I did the same procedure as before and again, my car ran fine. A few minutes later I was pulling into a church parking lot and the same thing happened again. I decided to just go back home before I had serious problems at night. A few miles further the same thing happened while trying to accelerate after stopping at a traffic light. I had a parts store hook up a diagnostics machine and got a "throttle actuator control system stuck open" code. I began to google this and found that there have been multiple complaints about Ford doing this, yet Ford has not issued a recall. Needless to say, I am a bit furious that they would know there is a potentially deadly problem with their vehicles and they won't issue a recall to fix this.

- Warrior, AL, USA

Jul 012013

Fusion 4-cyl

I was accelerating from a traffic light when all of a sudden I had no response from my gas pedal and my check engine light came on. I was able to coast until I could pull over out of the way of traffic. I turned the car off and back on. The check engine light turned off, so I thought maybe I'm okay. But, once I got up to speed again, the same thing happened. I was able to get my car back home by driving on back streets at 25 mph. Using my odb-II reader, I retrieved code P2112 from my car. This points to the throttle body assembly.

- Lexington, KY, USA

Fusion 4-cyl

The car's throttle-body failed instantly, and without warning while it was being driven on a major secondary road. The failure resulted in a complete loss of power and required immediate emergency action to get off the two travel lanes (during rush-hour in northern Virginia), and nearly resulting in an accident. I was only 1/4 mile from entering interstate 66, which did not have a safe shoulder during the time of the failure, and which would have resulted in a much more dangerous situation.

- Vienna, VA, USA

Jun 272013

While getting onto the interstate the accelerator failed the wrench light came on I pulled to the side of the road shut the car off restarted it drove another 10 miles and again same issue restarted and drove less than 5 miles and again restart drive less than 1 mile and yet again I called three different Ford dealerships and none of them have the part to even think about fixing this problem this needs to be recalled asap as some people don't have $400-$700 including myself to say ok Ford here is my car fix it while waiting a week to a month for it.

- Little Rock, AR, USA

Jun 302013

While driving at 45mph the car jerked and lost thrust. The wrench light came on and I coasted as far as I could get. The engine did not seem to be running so I turned the key off and waited 20 seconds or so and attempted to start the vehicle. The car cranked many times but then started back up and was fine for the next 5 days. The first time this happened I brought the car to the Ford dealer and was told that they needed to check it out. Two days later they still had not looked at it so I took the car back. 5 days later it happened again but I came to a stop just around a corner and was concerned about being rear ended. I brought the car back to the dealer a second time and this time they looked at it. They said that the throttle body had to be replaced and that I was lucky that they had just received a shipment that day. The service associate said that this is a common problem and that these throttle bodies have been on back order for weeks. I had to pay for the diagnosis but it seems that this service should be done as a recall since there are so many problems. This is also a safety problem.

- Cibolo, TX, USA

Fusion 4-cyl

Car stalls while driving at any speed.

- Wixom, MI, USA

Jun 212013

Fusion 4-cyl

My wife was driving the car and it lost power and as she described "it started to buck". there was little response and the orange wrench light came on. She turned off the car and started it back up. The car was fine and a couple miles down the road the check engine light came on and it did it again. She turned the car off and started it again. She was able to get it home. I looked at it the following day and contacted my local Ford dealer. Speaking to a technician, he told me a diagnostic probably wouldn't bring anything up since the lights were now off and the computer had reset itself. On Sunday June 30th, 2013, I was driving approximately 55 mph when I pressed the accelerator to switch lanes and there was no response from the engine. The orange wrench light came on and my wife told me that that's exactly what had happened to her. Fortunately, there was little traffic and I was able to coast to a nearby parking lot. I turned the car off and let it sit for about 5 minutes. When I started it back up, it idled rough and quickly smoothed out. It sounds like there are many similar issues with the throttle body on this vehicle. I stopped reading after 55 reports all listing the same issue. A recall should be placed on this part since it causes a high hazard/major safety issue.

- Pawtucket , RI, USA

Fusion 4-cyl

Car went into limp mode (all electric functions on and car running, but no acceleration) as I exited the freeway. Car began shaking when stopped in parking lot off of road. I turned the car off, and restarted about 5 minutes later. Car did the same thing when attempting to reach 30-35 mph. Pulled into apartment complex, waited, and restarted. Care failed two more times within a 3 mile distance, and was restarted. Wrench light vanished after restart, but engine light now remains on. Reporting due to ongoing investigation with throttle bodies for Ford vehicles. Researched this issue online.

- Austin, TX, USA

Jun 292013

Fusion 6-cyl

As I was driving to the store my car stalled, there was a complete loss of power. A wrench symbol appeared as well as the check engine light. After restarting the vehicle I was able to move another 200 feet before it happened again, repeatedly I would need to put it in park, shut off the vehicle and begin again. This has happened about 10 times since last night. I am not unable to safely travel to work or any other location due to this situation.

- Dublin, OH, USA

Fusion 4-cyl

While driving on a highway at about 45 mph the gas pedal stopped working. The car engine remained running but would not respond to the pedal. The car slowed and luckily could be pulled to the side of the road. When the car slowed to a stop it started bucking. After turning the engine off, the car was able to be restarted and ran ok for the rest of the trip to work. The car had the same failure on the way home from work and on the way to the dealership the next morning. The deal service has diagnosed the problem as a bad throttle body and that the part was on back order.

- Yorktown, VA, USA

Jun 262013

Car was stopped at stop light. When light turned green, the car would not accelerate, but only creep along. Fortunately, there was a parking lot just across the intersection where car was stopped. Towed to dealer where they told us it needed a new electronic throttle.

- Saint Charles, MO, USA

Jun 022013

Fusion 4-cyl

While driving, the car jerked and the rpms dropped and I could not accelerate. I was able to get the car to the side of the highway and noticed that the wrench light had turned on. I put the car in park, shut off the engine, waited a few seconds and started the care again. No lights were on so I got back on the highway for it to happen again a mile down the road. This happens occasionally (roughly 15 times in the last 3 weeks) and sometimes the wrench light comes on, sometimes it's the engine light and sometimes it's the battery light. This occurs no matter the speed, no matter the temperature, no matter the number of things using the battery (because the battery light came on a few times). It is completely random and got it to the shop to tell us it was code P2111, something with the throttle body. It needs replaced, so they say - but is on national back order.

- Kansas City, KS, USA

Feb 282013

Fusion 4-cyl

***throttle body**** during several times of driving at low speeds, I accelerated and the RPM on the car jumped suddenly and stuck at a high position for several seconds in which the car slowed to a stop. The "wrench" light then came on and after turning the car off and on I was able to maintain use of it. This is happening frequently.

- La Grange Park, IL, USA

Fusion 4-cyl

***** bad throttle body******** my wife and son was driving and the car just shut off going through a interaction a car almost hit them to the rapid loss of speed. This is not the first time. When this happens you have no power and very little control of the car. This has happen about four times now. Looks like Ford is doing nothing about this and after this did it on me today 6/27/13 someone is going to get killed in a accident or hurt real bad. From looking at all the reviews this is a defect in the throttle body. This should be on a recall list before someone is hurt or worst. Please help us get this on a recall list. Thank you.

- The Colony, TX, USA