Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: Ford significantly updated the Fusion for the 2010 model year. We wish they hadn't

2010 Ford Fusion fuel system problems

2010 Ford Fusion Owner Comments (Page 1 of 11)

Nov 242015

Fusion 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that when the ignition was turned to the on position, the check engine warning indicator and the fuel inlet warning indicator illuminated continuously. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the fuel inlet filler neck was leaking and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and stated that the VIN was included in NHTSA campaign number: 15V793000 (fuel system, gasoline). The part to do the recall repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The failure mileage was approximately 50,000. Updated 04/29/16

- Bolivar, MO, USA

Sep 152015

Fusion 6-cyl

Fuel tank started leaking fuel when the tank is filled above 1/2 on the passenger side. Ford repair shop found a tank defect on the bend of the upper tank flange, stress fracture along the flange that is not normal wear and tear but in my and the repair shop's opinion is a defective tank. I am filing a complaint with Ford as in my over 40 years of owning many vehicles of several brands, never had a tank leak - one vehicle I have has 340K miles with no leaks. I see from research on the internet that this problem is not isolated to just me. Ford - improve your quality before I buy another vehicle from you! this is an extremely dangerous condition.....updated 10/27/15

- Canton, GA, USA

Aug 012015

Fusion 4-cyl

My 2010 Ford Fusion developed a gas leak on August 1 2015. The leak was a constant drip coming from the gas tank. I immediately took my car to the repair shop to be fixed. After reviewing the gas tank, I was told by the repair shop that the metal gas tank was corroding at the seams and had corroded almost all the way through in one area(passenger side). The gasoline was seeping through the corroded seam in multiple areas. I was also told the metal tank did not have a weather coating to prevent corrosion. I was very surprised and frustrated that a five year old car has a gas tank that corroded through and leaked gasoline. This is a huge safety issue and Ford needs to have a recall....updated 10/27/15 updated 11/03/15.

- Rochester , MN, USA

May 112015

Fusion 4-cyl

2010 Ford Fusion. Consumer writes in regards to vehicle fuel tank leak and corrosion problems. The dealer informed the consumer the fuel tank was damaged during manufacturing, resulting in the fuel tank rust coating not adhering to the tank, which resulted in corrosion....updated 10/27/15

- Durand, WI, USA

Jun 022015

Fusion 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Fusion. A day after refueling the vehicle, there was a fuel odor coming from the vehicle and there was a puddle of fuel coming from the fuel tank. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the seam of the fuel tank had become undone and needed replacement. The vehicle was not repaired due to the part not being available. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 63,000. Updated 7/16/15

- Johnson City, TN, USA

Oct 072014

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that there was a strong fuel odor coming from the fuel tank. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic, who diagnosed that the fuel tank needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 60,000. The VIN was not available.

- Pittsburgh , PA, USA

Oct 012014

Fusion 4-cyl

Driving on I-10 from biloxi to diamondhead ms car loses power pull over car starts again drive 5miles quits again drive out of gas station across street car quits again have towed to repair shop starts they can't get it to quit I pick up car drive it home runs drive to car wash runs ok when will it quit again we will see.

- Diamondhead, MS, USA

Aug 272014

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that gasoline was leaking from the rear passenger side wheel after refueling the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to a mechanic where the contact was told there was crack on the top of the fuel tank. The vehicle was repaired by the fuel tank being replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 90,000.

- Macomb Township, MI, USA

Jul 212014

Fusion 4-cyl

Noticed fuel smell and fuel on ground after filling up car. Took car to dealership and they checked under the car and said the gas tank may have a crack on the top. Suggested to only fill up half way and tank should not leak. We filed a complaint with Ford and are waiting for reply.

- Weiser, ID, USA

Jul 152014

Fusion 4-cyl

I was driving at 35 mph when I lost the throttle. The engine kept running but without acceleration. I pulled into a parking lot restarted and continued. The next day while driving 55 mph at the intersection of two merging expressways the throttle stopped working. I was able to stop in the vee just as the expressways merged. It was extremely dangerous. Had it happened 200 yards ahead I may have been stuck in the middle lane of the road. Ford fixed the problem but I am afraid that an inexperienced driver could have had a fatal accident. This is too dangerous an occurrence not to have a recall.

- Elmhurst, IL, USA

Jul 192014

Fusion 4-cyl

I was driving on an interstate going 70+ mph when my gas peddle stopped working, it would not make my car accelerate. The rpms dropped down to 1000-1500 and my car immediately started to slow down. I pulled to the side of the road and as I slowed down the car jumped and acted like it was stalling out. The wrench light on the dash also illuminated. I put the car in park and turned off the ignition, thinking that my car was broken down and I was going to have to get it towed. I thought to restart the car and when I did, it ran fine. Until 3 days later when it repeated the same symptoms, 3 times in one day. It has now been a week and I have had countless times where this has happened, many times on the interstate, or busy roads. Just today in a 2 mile stretch this happened 4 times!

- Madison , TN, USA

Fusion 4-cyl

It started out that when I filled up my fuel tank I would try to start the vehicle and it would not start, I would have to try several times then it would start. It then started shaking and idling rough when I came to a stop. Then as I was driving on the interstate it just died. I would pull over and start again then would die. I had to have it towed to dealer and they told me it was the vapor lock that went bad which in turn caused gas to get into my oil. They also stated that this part caused fuel to get into the vapor canister. Research has showed me that several Ford Fusion with the cap less fuel has caused several problems. They have since stated they have upgraded the cap less gas tank but what about the 2010. It ended up costing me 700 for both parts but the issue that caused the problem is still there. Please help.....

- Camby, IN, USA

Fusion 4-cyl

When our vehicle a 10'Ford Fusion sel sedan started this the vehicle would start to shake and die when the speed would exceed forty mph then after a couple days of not bein able to drive over forty mph the vehicle would not go at all it would start and jerk and die to the point that the vehicle could not be driven.

- Straughn, IN, USA

Fusion 4-cyl

I am filing this complaint in hopes that Ford will be forced to issue a recall regarding the dangerous acceleration issue the Fusion are having. My car will lose power when driving. I have to press the gas pedal almost to the floor to get the car to accelerate once I have lost power and the car jerks and sputters. The issue began on June 3, 2014 and worsened today, June 4, 2014. I do not have any check engine lights or wrenches. I have only traveled back roads and have not driven the car at a high speed due to fear of having an accident. I have read multiple complaints regarding a throttle body issue. So, I am taking my car to a Ford dealership on tomorrow, June 5th to have my similar issue diagnosed. I am concerned because the service advisor said that the extended warranty will only be for an update to my power train system; which is not what I read in the letter. I want to have my throttle body replaced and the power train update so to prevent any future and more dangerous failures. I am also fearful because of the 'one-time' repair program, I will be out of luck and a bunch of money should my throttlebody fail after the power train update.

- La Vergne, TN, USA

May 012014

The gas tank hisses and the car begins to die when the car is sitting idol. The manual states to shut the car off and relieve the pressure by pushing the cap of where you would put the fuel in this does not fix the issue. When gas is put into the car to refill the tank the car does not start instantly. The ignition cont. To turn over and it takes several times of turning the key to get the car to start. After gas is put in the car the car runs slow the service engine light stays on and the car continues to jerk and die when the car stops for lights or to turn.

- N.Hampton , OH, USA

May 232014

While driving my vehicle it suddenly felt like it stalled, but it actually had not. Before I could safely pull off the road it began violently jerking the whole car. Gas and brake controls were effected and the car was difficult to get off the road safely and difficult to stop it from moving forward once I got off the road. I quickly put it in park and turned it off. The check engine light came on as well as a wrench light during this incident. After about 5 minutes I turned the car back on and it seemed to be running fine. I started to drive to the body shop I use and after a couple minutes it did it again in the middle of an intersection. The car was extremely difficult to control and I was scared I would be hit by another car. After making it off the road again, I turned the car off. I eventually did get it to my body shop, but the defective throttle body could have resulted in a serious accident. Ford should recall this part and fix it!

- Holly Hill, FL, USA

Apr 302014

Fusion 4-cyl

Traveling on I-10 near beaumont tx, with cruise control on when the car suddenly lost power/speed. I pulled off the freeway, tachometer jumping and with brakes and steering working. I could not get idle to steady, wrench light on; so I shut down engine. Restarted was slow but I was able to continue normal driving. Next morning took it to kinsel Ford dealer, they checked it out Friday and found no issues. Yesterday May 3rd it happened again. Knowing the posted throttle body issues, kinsel should not have sent me on a 7 hour trip back to dallas!!! this almost got me killed.

- Allen, TX, USA

Apr 252013

Traveling on a road in orlando fl and lost speed and then eventually loosing power and had to drift off the side of the road. Finally was able to start the car just to be able to get it back to my home. Had to get the vehicle towed to the Ford dealership and found that the throttle body had went bad. Had to get it replaced. This is very dangerous when driving at a good speed and all of a sudden you loose power, thank god I didnt get in a accident. I see that there is a recall on this part with Ford but my VIN is not included.

- Westminster, MD, USA

Mar 072013

Fusion 4-cyl

After driving for ~20 minutes and the engine warming up, the engine will surge when coming to a complete stop after braking. There is also a smell of gas. Immediately after refueling, the engine is difficult to start. Once started it runs rough for a few seconds and wants to lurch away.

- Laurel, MD, USA

Mar 102014

Fusion 4-cyl

Smelled gas and saw leak from top of tank down side of tank by passenger side rear wheel. Mechanic dropped the tank and said a split occurred on a seam through no fault of corrosion. He believes it to a manufacturer defect. All the vehicles I have owned never had a leaking gas tank from corrosion or otherwise.

- Pittsboro, NC, USA