Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: Ford significantly updated the Fusion for the 2010 model year. We wish they hadn't

2010 Ford Fusion lights problems

lights problem

2010 Ford Fusion Owner Comments

Mar 172016

Tail lights are too hot causing burning of tail light sockets, exploding bulbs and melting of tail light assembly. Toxic fumes are being generated by the melting plastic. The tail light/head lights were on and we were in heavy traffic. While driving we smelled burning plastic. Upon inspection I found that the right tail light bulb was burned and melted into the tail light assembly, the light socket was black from burning. Now there is no way to secure the tail light bulb into the tail light assembly due to the melted plastic. See photos.

- Collierville, TN, USA

Feb 022015

Fusion 4-cyl

Noticed on way home that the right rear turn signal was blinking faster than usual. Having had the light bulb replaced under warranty at the dealer less than 2 years ago, I thought this was rather soon for the bulb to have burnt out twice now on a 4.5 year old car. Went through the steps to get to the light, noticed a severe burn mark around the bulb and housing, and am unable to remove the bulb from the housing at all. It is quite obvious that combustion has occurred around the light bulb as there are burn marks. I believe from a quick glance that Ford knows of this safety issue and is ignoring it. I believe there could be fires caused by this defect that is widely reported by searching for Ford brake light melted on any search engine.

- Louisville, KY, USA

Dec 042012

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that the tail lights failed. The contact stated that the only way that the tail light would operate would be if he manually turned on the light switch. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer for inspection. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified but provided no assistance. The failure mileage was 38,234.

- Grand Forks, ND, USA

Oct 192011

Fusion 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that when the vehicle is turned on the headlights come on but the tail lights do not come on unless you turn the switch for the lights. The contact stated that they drove without tail lights and got a ticket. The contact had not spoken to the manufacturer. The failure mileage was 12,260 and the current mileage was 37,148.

- Grand Fort, ND, USA

Oct 202011

Fusion 4-cyl

While driving on interstate I-81 the dash lights started going completely off and staying off for quite sometime before coming back on. I was not really sure if I had headlights until later when stopping behind someone on my destination and was able to see my headlights in their rear car. The weather was horrible, raining very hard and visibility was really only a few feet away. I turn on my fog lights just in case I had no headlights. I had hoped they work but I did not get out in the pouring rain to check. Fortunately, this incident was during the daytime and not at night. This could have lead to a fatal accident if it was at night. I feel that others should be aware of this problem and Ford should take care of it with no cost to owner. Also the spots on the charcoal dash should be dealt with by Ford because there is some reason other than sunlight or cleaner that has cause this, for I have only clean dash with a damp cloth and the car has been garage kept except for the time it spent on the dealership lot. There are many complaints on the charcoal dash on the Ford Fusion online. The dealership service department was very rude when I ask about this problem and seem to care less about their customers on this behalf and accuse me of using some type of harse cleaner on it...would not even listen to what I had to say. Lets hope that Ford stays behind their customers with problems on the Fusion since it does have some problems.

- Dandridge, TN, USA

Apr 242010

2010 Ford Fusion SE, head lights and dash board lights are on at all times but the tail lights are not, this model does not have automatic on switch. First night I drove the car a neighbor told me I had no tail lights, I had strong running lights that I was driving by that I though were automatically switched head lights. My husband drove the car and assumed the same. We did figure it out. On 4/24 I was issued a warning for no tail lights. I spoke to other owners and they too have been pulled over for no taillights. Also was following a Fusion last week that did not have tail lights. This is dangerous, the tail lights should be part of the running light circuit or the running lights should not be sufficient to drive by. I just wanted to be on the record before I get rear ended at dusk after I realize that I have not turned on my tail lights.

- Lakeland, FM, USA