2010 Ford Fusion steering problems

2010 Ford Fusion Owner Comments (Page 11 of 29)

Oct 182015

Fusion

Shortly after beginning my drive, my car alerted me to "service advancetrac soon" and "service power steering soon". the wheel turned as it did normally so I didn't think I had anything to worry about. I got to a stoplight a little further down the road and thought perhaps a reset would clear the error. I put my car in park, and shut off the engine. When I started it up again, I got a much more urgent sounding ding and my screen said "service power steering now". it was at that point that I had no power steering in the car. It was so difficult to steer that I was worried I might break something, feeling like at any moment the steering wheel was going to snap. Upon reading the complaints and recalls of other Ford Fusion, I am shocked that the 2010 model isn't included in the recall. The only fix for this issue according to Ford is to replace the rack and pinion assembly. My suspision is that the issue is with a sensor that became faulty, and the system turned off power steering to protect itself. However I have heard that because the sensor does not have a part number, it cannot be sold separately from the rack and pinion assembly. I understand components break and wear out, especially in cars, but I think it's insane to have to replace a $1300 part when a $50 component fails.

- Southington, CT, USA

Oct 142015

Fusion

I have had the power steering assist fault light come on 4 times in the passed year and a half. When I went to Ford they said they could not help me unless the light was on. So finally the light stays on and suddenly it is not covered by a warranty and the repair is close to $2000, how convenient is that. You know they knew that evidently the system would fail. I couldn't even turn the wheel and when I called them to explain that they told me to drive safely. This is a problem that needs to be recalled.if it was recalled for other years why not 2010?

- Jackson, NJ, USA

Oct 162015

Fusion

While my husband was driving my car, he lost all power steering ability and the advance trac and service power steering light came on. It is requiring extra ability to turn vehicle. I do not understand why this model is not included in the recall of 15V340000.

- Greenville, SC, USA

Oct 102015

Fusion

I was driving home with my 12 year old son down the post road in orange ct and all of a sudden, the malfuction indicator light for traction control illuminates and then I get a message to service power steering now. Without warning, in an instant, I lost the ability to steer my car smoothly and safely as the steering wheel became extremely tight. I drove about a mile until I could pull my car over safely and thought that it was just something as simple as resetting my car so I turned the car off and restarted it, but by this time, the steering wheel was even tighter than before and I could barely turn the wheel. I prayed and did my best to maneuver my car so that I wouldn't hit anybody else, but it was hard to even drive in a straight line pattern. The turns I had to make to drive to my home were extremely wide and unsafe. I'm upset with this as I've done my home work and it looks like there was an investigation regarding this scenario but not an actual recall. Ford acknowledges a safety issue, but apperently does nothing until something happens. I live in a state that is in a rainy season and soon winter if this had of happen with snow on the ground...this would have been bad....very bad.

- West Haven, CT, USA

Oct 032015

Fusion

As I was backing out of a parking space, a warning sign popped up on my dash requesting that I service power steering immediately. It was then that my steering wheel locked up and I was unable to turn, almost hitting cars in the rows behind me. Thank god that I have backup sensors because it could have been nasty! anyways, it was difficult for me to steer throughout the parking lot and for me to get to where I needed to go....updated 12/10/15

- Lorain, OH, USA

Oct 052015

Fusion

Power steering is defaulted while driving. It became so hard to turn. Thanks god there is no crash. It happened 3 days ago in winston salem nc and I now parked the vehicle in my driveway thinking about where to find money to fix

- Winston Salem, NC, USA

Mar 152015

Fusion

Power steering assist is not working

- Helenwood, TN, USA

Fusion

Power steering assist and check advance trac came on! had to drive home with no power steering. It appears there are several Fusion that have the same problem. It cost $1300 to fix. Ford should reimburse for parts or and at least have a recall on these cars. I was parked when it happened! the power assist has came on before but they couldn't find the problem until it actually quit working. I helped my granddaughter out so she had a way to get to school! who could I contact to see if Ford will help with the cost?

- Moab, UT, USA

Sep 272015

Fusion

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Fusion. While driving approximately 65 mph, the steering wheel seized. In addition, the advanced track and power steering assist warning indicators illuminated. The contact also stated that the vehicle stalled. The vehicle was towed to the contact's residence. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of failure. The failure mileage was 85,000. The VIN was not available.

- Gilbert, SC, USA

Sep 192015

Fusion

My 8 month pregnant wife was driving the Fusion and the power steering failed on her. The vehicle was difficult to control and felt very unsafe. The dash reported, "service power steering now." This is the third catastrophic failure with my 2010 Ford Fusion, you can read more about the problems here: fordpowersteering.com/

- Fairhope, AL, USA

Aug 232015

Fusion

While driving a message appeared on the instrument panel, "have power steering serviced", within a few seconds "have advance trac system serviced" warning appeared. I shut off the car. Upon restarting the car there was a total failure of the power steering system. It was impossible to drive the car due to the difficulty of turning the steering wheel. I detected a slight burning smell. The car had to be towed to the dealer. Repair invoice states an internal fault of electric power steering. Rack and pinion system had to be replaced. Mileage at the time was 60,402. If this would have happened on the highway or on a busy road there would have been great potential for an accident.

- Port St Lucie, FL, USA

Fusion

Complete loss of steering assist fault. Luckily my wife and daughter were parked when this fault popped up otherwise something bad could have happened. 2011 through 2012 Fusion have been recalled for the same exact issue. It is completely unfair for me to have to pay for this safety issue.

- Sapulpa, OK, USA

Sep 232015

Fusion

There is a problem with my power steering. It failed on me when parallel parking. An error referring to advancetrac appeared on the dash. I had to turn my car off in order to reset it, but I fear it may happen when driving on a freeway.

- San Diego, CA, USA

Sep 152015

Fusion

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Fusion. While the vehicle was in reverse, the steering wheel became inoperable and the power steering warning indicator illuminated. The failure recurred on two other occasions. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and stated that the VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 15V340000 (steering). The approximate failure mileage was 132,000.

- Ft. Worth, TX, USA

Aug 222015

Fusion

While on a road trip I received a message that read "power steering assist fault" as soon as I started the car and at the exact same time I lost the power steering. Turn out that corroded wires fried the rack & pinion. I had to have it towed over a 100 miles to get it home. Ford tried to tell me that the wires were damaged by rodents. They conveniently left out the important fact that my car (built 04/07/2010) was not built with an epas gear heat shield on the rack & pinion. The heat shield would have prevented the wires from incinerating & frying the rack & pinion. Ford knew that the lack of the heat shield was a problem and took steps to correct this on the future cars. Fusion built after 04/12/2010 had the heat shield added to the rack & pinion. But they have made no attempt to correct the error on the cars built before 04/12/2010 that were built without the heat shield. I am blessed that I was not on the road at the time that I lost my power steering since I was just starting back home on country roads in the middle of the night. In the past 5yrs I have now had 3 potentially dangerous car malfunctions. 1. Aug. 2013 - engine shaking. Not safe to drive. Needed new engine & trans. Mounts. 2. Oct. 2013 - throttle body failure while in rush hour traffic. 3. Aug. 2015 - power steering assist fault.

- Brunswick, OH, USA

Fusion

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Fusion. While driving at any speed, the steering seized and the dashboard displayed a "power steering assist fault" error message. The VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 15V340000 (steering). The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 50,200.

- Newark, DE, USA

Sep 162015

Fusion

Was driving on I75 from Michigan at highway speeds when I went to change lanes to exit and had no power steering. Needless to say this car steers like a very big truck without to power assist.. it also has a power steering assist fault light and service acutrac light. Have shut it off and restarted several time fault doesn't clear and steering has not returned!

- Alger, OH, USA

Sep 172015

Fusion

I was driving on three occasions and turned a corner. My steering locked up causing me to almost get hit from behind. I went to a repair shop to get the power steering added. However, I was told no fluid is necessary. My car has electronic power steering, which may be malfunctioning. Ford states my car isn't part of any recall. However, this issue creates a danger when driving.

- Wilmington, DE, USA

Sep 112015

Fusion 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that while turning into a parking space, the steering wheel became very difficult to turn and the power steering warning message displayed on the instrument panel. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who replaced the entire power steering mechanism. No further information on the repair was available. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 38,900. Updated 11/09/15

- Winter Park, FL, USA

Sep 112015

Fusion

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Fusion. While driving at 30 mph, the steering wheel failed. In addition, the service power steering and the track warning lights illuminated. In addition, the vehicle stalled. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that there was a mechanical failure of the epas steering gear. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 140,000.

- Gulf Breeze , FL, USA