2010 Ford Fusion steering problems

2010 Ford Fusion Owner Comments (Page 13 of 29)

Sep 052015

Fusion

While traveling down a curvy back road at 11:00pm, the power steering service now message appeared on my 2010 Ford Fusion's instrument panel. A mile further down the road, the power steering completely went out forcing me to use every bit of strength I had just to turn the wheel. Thank god I was able to get home safely. After doing some research, I found this is an all too often problem with many 2010 Fusion owners and knew I needed to file this complaint. Shame on Ford for not issuing a recall for the power steering yet. How many bodies do they need to rack up before acknowledging there is a "problem"?

- Covington , OH, USA

Sep 032015

Fusion

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Fusion. While driving approximately 70 mph, there was a complete loss of power steering and the warning indicator illuminated. The contact was able to maneuver to the side of the road cautiously and the engine was turned off. After restarting, the failure persisted and the steering wheel was extremely difficult to turn. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 57,000.

- Lithonia, GA, USA

Apr 292015

Fusion

A couple of months ago the power steering fault light came on when I put it into gear and went to move the vehicle. So I put it back to park waited a min then restarted the car. After doing so the light wouldn't reappear for a week or two. Then it would do it again. So I checked the fuses being its electric power steering and no blown fuses. Then it would happen about every week. The user manual stated that without the power steering it would not harm the advance trac. This is not the first car ive driven without power steering(also a Ford). The advance trac light would apear after another month and only when the power steering light was on. Which is now every time I start the car.so I took it to the Ford dealership were they gave me a quote for the gear asy part# ae5Z-3504-de. This car is not old, very well maintained with appropriate maintenance. This should not be happening and I fear the car is not going to turn when needed to avoid hazards and other needed situations while driving.

- Winnemucca, NV, USA

Jun 172015

Fusion

I was driving the Fusion when the power steering suddenly went out. It is nearly impossible to turn and could cause a serious accident if it goes out while being driven, as mine did. After parking the car, the advance trac and power steering service lights came on. Unacceptable in a car less than 5 years old!!!!

- Archdale, NC, USA

Jul 162014

Fusion

My power steering light came on and within ten miles of the light coming on the steering wheel would not move at all. I had to have it towed to the mechanic where I was told it needed a new steering rack and that this was a common problem with the Ford Fusion. It has been thirteen months since then and I need to replace it yet again. Twice in thirteen months and when I called the dealer they didn't get back to me. My car shouldn't cost $4400 in thirteen months for the same problem.

- Portsmouth, NH, USA

Aug 202015

Fusion

2010 Ford Fusion. When driving through a construction zone, going around a slight bend, my steering wheel got extremely tight. For a second I thought the engine shut down. It took all I had to turn the wheel to avoid hitting the median. I lost all power steering. I am lucky that I was strong enough to be able to turn the wheel to avoid the median. After the complete scare, and thankfully I was the only one in the car, the message came up "power steering asist fault, service advanctrac". I took it right to a Ford garage. They told me that the steering rack needed to be replaced at the lovely tune of $1,400. After doing some digging, I found that there has been a recall for the same problem for the 2011+ Ford Fusion, built in the same plant mine was(Mexico). I contacted Ford, which is actually precepta, and they told me that the recall is VIN specific. I question why the 2010's we not recalled when they are having the same problems.

- Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Jun 302015

Fusion

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Fusion. While driving at various speeds, the power steering assist warning indicator illuminated and the steering wheel seized. The failure recurred numerous times. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was repaired, but the failure recurred. The repair details were unknown. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 120,000.

- Cornell, WI, USA

Jun 042015

Fusion

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Fusion. While driving 37 mph, the power steering failed which made it difficult to drive the vehicle. The contact mentioned that the power steering assist fault warning light illuminated on the instrument panel. The vehicle was taken to a dealer, who diagnosed and recommended that the power steering control module needed to be replaced. The failure was reported to the manufacturer who referred the contact to NHTSA. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 107,000.

- Macon, GA, USA

Aug 212015

Fusion

Steering wheel locked up going down road at about 40 very dangerous if on a curvy road. The light came on and said check power steering then it went out.

- New Market , AL, USA

Jul 022015

Fusion

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Fusion. Immediately after starting the vehicle, the power steering light illuminated on the instrument panel and the power steering seized. The failure recurred four times. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, where it was diagnosed that the power steering needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 130,000.

- Buena Park, CA, USA

Aug 112015

Fusion

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Fusion. While backing out of a driveway at 5 mph, the power steering seized and the power steering warning indicator illuminated on the instrument panel. The vehicle was powered off and restarted, which resumed normal operation. The contact stated that the issue recurred intermittently. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The failure mileage was 82,495.

- Warren, MI, USA

Mar 152015

Fusion

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that the fuel inlet warning light illuminated. The contact also stated that the check engine warning light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the fuel tank failed. The vehicle was not repaired. While driving approximately 5 mph, the steering wheel seized and required excessive force. The contact stated that the power steering assist fault message appeared on the dashboard. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failures. The approximate failure mileage was 82,000.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Fusion

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Fusion. While making a left turn at approximately 35 mph, the steering wheel became difficult to maneuver without warning. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the rack and pinion needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 42,000. Updated 9/28/15

- Eerie, PA, USA

Fusion

While driving my 2010 Ford Fusion the power steering went out without warning. Luckily no one was hurt. At first I could turn the engine off and back on again and the power steering was back. Not the case now. Now the messege comes up..."power steering assist fault. Service advancetrac" no power steering at all. This has happened while I was driving! ++ no recall"?" I've researched this and 100's of people have experienced the exact same problem. Ford should fix this problem for everyone before someone gets hurt or killed.

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Fusion

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Fusion. While driving at 60 mph, the steering wheel became difficult to turn. The contact had to apply force to the steering wheel in order to steer the vehicle and the service power steering now message displayed across the message board. The tire pressure monitoring system warning light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to a dealer. The contact was unsure about the part that needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 80,000.

- Dearborn, MI, USA

Aug 072015

Fusion

My 19 year old daughter was driving to college when out of the blue she went to drive around a right hand corner at about 45 mph and the electronic power steering completely failed the car steering was so hard to turn the car didn't make the right hand turn so the car went across the road and up over the curb and almost hit a lady walking her dog no one was hurt but sure could have been the car has no other damage besides the steering and the advance track not working I'm very glad everyone is ok I'm 50 years old and I have never seen anything like this I had to go get the car off the curb and drive it to the Ford dealer way hard to do even harder then a older vehicle if the power steering failed something really needs to be done before someone gets killed 42000 miles car is like new and I see well over 500 complaints so far so I would say this isn't just a random problem.

- Erie, PA, USA

Mar 012015

Fusion

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds and approaching a turn, the steering wheel required force in order to steer the vehicle. The power steering assist warning light illuminated. The failure recurred intermittently. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 97,000.

- Orlando, FL, USA

Aug 112015

Fusion

While driving approximately 30 mph lost all power steering. Very hard to steer could have caused a crash. The dash readout said power steering assist failure, service advancetrac. Car has only 55,708 miles on it. Very dangerous problem when you can loose power steering while driving. Thank god there wasn't an accident.

- Northwood, OH, USA

Aug 022015

Fusion

While driving steering locked and service advancetrac light came on. It is happening multiple times almost causing me to crash

- Cottonport, LA, USA

Jul 212015

Fusion

Driving on I 76 and power steering stopped working a of a sudden. A message came up on the dashboard that said "check advancetrac" " service power steering". the dealer said it's a problem with the computer module and I need a new rack and pinion which will cost me over $1800. There has been numerous complaints about the power steering for Ford Fusion and even recalls regarding the issue on 2011 through 2015, but since my car is a 2010 and is not part of the recall I have to pay out of pocket. It is a major safety concern. When my power steering went out I could barely make turns and had to get a man on the street to park my car because I didn't have the strength to. My 1 year old son was in the vehicle with me when this happened. My car is 5 years old and only has $33000 miles on it and Ford refuses to help me with this expense at all. They are a terrible company who only cares about saving money. They are not even concerned about their customers safety and how this can cause accidents. Sorry Ford all of us don't have $1800 to shell out on repairs that are something that should of never happened in the first place. Do not buy a Ford Fusion! also do not take your car for repair at john kennedy Ford in conshohocken, pa.

- Philadelphia, PA, USA