Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: Ford significantly updated the Fusion for the 2010 model year. We wish they hadn't

2010 Ford Fusion steering problems

2010 Ford Fusion Owner Comments (Page 13 of 27)

Jun 122015

My wife was driving home from work when suddenly she experienced a loss of power steering in her vehicle. After trying to keep from being in an accident she was able to pull her 2010 Ford Fusion into a parking lot. After she turned into the parking lot she turned off the vehicle and let it sit for a few seconds then she restarted the vehicle and she was able to proceed a little further. Then it happened for a second time. Once again she turned the ignition off, let it sit for a few moments then restarted the vehicle. She was able to drive a little further until it once again happened as she was turning into our driveway. On the morning of Saturday 6/13/2015 I went out to the vehicle and started it up and tried to back it out of our dive way when the service the advance trac system message appeared. I turned the vehicle off the restarted the vehicle and then a different message appeared. This time it was the service power steering assist message. I then turned off the vehicle and contacted the local Ford dealer and was told that it was a common problem with the Fusion and that I would need to schedule an appointment to have the power steering rac replaced and it would cost around $1,800 to replace. I told the man that was ridiculous for a vehicle that has only 56,787 miles on it. I have researched this and have found that many other owners have experienced this same issue. I feel that this is a major safety issue and if it was not for my wife's quick thinking she may have been involved in an accident. Please research this issue before it happens to someone else and unfortunately cost someone their life. Please feel free to contact me anytime for additional information.

- Parkersburg, WV, USA

Jun 122015

While my wife was driving home from work on 6/12 the power steering went out. She had a very difficult time trying to steer the car. It happens twice on her way home first time nearly caused an accident but she was able to coast it into an empty parking lot. She turned the car off and let it sit for a few. She then started it up again and tried to continue home when she got a block away it happened again I had one hell of a time trying to get it to turn into our driveway. Got up the next morning as still the same issue advance trac needs seviced. If Ford wants to turn out a substandard part I won't be buying another Ford product again. No I'm being to it needs a new rack at 55000 miles and will cost around $1800. This is complete bs for a vehicle to need a new rack at that low of miles. This is very dangerous a Ford needs to have a recall for this issue before someone gets hurt or causes an accident. If not sounds like I need to contact an attorney.

- Parkersburg, WV, USA

Jun 032015

Driving 2010 Ford Fusion sel V6 home at night at around 70 mph, suddenly message came up "advance track, service power steering now". we had seen this message before. This is the fifth occurrence. The vehicle maintains its steering ability (going 70 mph), but upon arrival at our destination, and the shut off of the engine, all power-steering assist is lost. This has happened five times before. The Ford dealer can clear all of the error messages and the car will have its power steering ability again; however, when the Ford mechanic diagnosed the error messages and the problem, his solution was to replace the electrical rack and pinion steering assist at a cost of $1200 plus labor. I declined, as I am sure that the problem will recur. How do I get rid of this car" how can I sell it and not declare its ugly persistent problem?? why doesn't Ford act on this" the mechanic stated that he didn't know of any other cars with this problem.

- Gillespie, IL, USA

May 042015

The steering went out in the vehicle January 2014, power steering went out with no warning. The repair shop stated that the steering rack needed to be replaced and would cost about $2000. They also made mention the power steering with the Ford Fusion's have had alot of problems in this year. Once again May 4th, 2015 23,000 miles later, I felt the steering wheel binding and locking. My service power steering now indicators came on. Ford claims when you loose power steering the car will go into a manual mode. This is true to some extent. You are fighting to steer the car because you are fighting with the gears in the rack. The steering locks and I almost crashed several times to get to a safe location, I went into oncoming traffic, because the steering locked. I had the car take to Ford dealer for repairs and was told the steering rack was bad again, and once again had to make repairs. There is no resaon I should of had to put two steering racks in within 20,000 miles. The recall done was for 2011 vehicles. The NHTSA needs to look into the 2010 models. The company I work for owned 5 Ford Fusion all the same model, we have all had the same problems.

- Browns Mills , NJ, USA

Jan 142015

Fusion 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Fusion. While driving 15 mph, the steering wheel seized and the power steering warning light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to a dealer for diagnostic testing. The power steering gear and rack and pinion assembly was replaced. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 89,000. MA 08/10/15 updated 8/14/15

- Water Valley, MS, USA

Mar 012015

I have been pulling out of my driveway and the car will start beeping, screen on dashboard says power steering assist fail your steering wheel locks you have to shut off the car then turn it back on and it is fine. This has happened pulling out of stores, work, and my house multiple times. Yesterday driving down the road at 45 mph it starts beeping and I can't turn!!!!! thank god no one was behind me as I have to come to a stop on a road and shut it off and turn it back on. I have 3 small children and this isn't safe. I will be contacting everyone I can. Ford needs to recall this and fix my car.

- Breezewood, PA, USA

Dec 012014

When trying to turn the steering wheel when starting from a stopped position, the power steering was not working and a service advance track warning came on. If I did not have the physical power to turn the wheel, I could have very easily have hit another vehicle. I took the car in for a car wash, and the power steering came back on about 5-10 miles down the road. It went out and back on intermittantly during the next few months. It totally went out somewhere around the end of March or beginning of April. According to "Ford power steering failure reports investigaterd by federal regulators/" dated October 6, 2014 at 8:46 am "Ford says it's cooperating with the investigation and anyone experiencing power steering problems with their vehicles should contact their dealer". May 12, 2015 I took the vehicle to the Ford dealer and they pulled codes 100410 - unable to communicate with power steering system. Checked for powers and grounds, power and grounds ok. Referred to interactive vehicle diagnostic. They found power steering module/rack failure. Recommended replacement at a cost of #1647.79. They said it was not on the recall at that time. When the mechanic brought the car forward, he also informed me that models produced six months earlier have the old power steering with the fluid. He said I have the electronic one that the newer models have. I recently checked the recall that Ford was having on the Fusion. My VIN # shows 0 recalls. The Fusion recall mentions road salt and other contaminants can cause corrossion and breakage. I live in Wisconsin and feel that my car should be included in this recall. My wife hauls kids and has a hard time trying to drive this car. For safety sake, I feel it should be recalled and fixed immediately.

- Greenville, WI, USA

May 302015

Driving home from the store the service power steering now light came on. Power steering went out. My wife and son were also in the car, luckily we were able to make it home without issue. Reading online it turns out this is a very common and expensive issue with other Ford owners and needs to be addressed by Ford immediately.

- Memphis, TN, USA

May 102015

I was driving home from work (70 or so miles away from where I live) at about the halfway point I heard car ding and a warning popped up on my dashboard saying "powersteering assist fault" and "service advancetrac" and right away I immediately could feel the steering wheel being unable to turn. I was going 50 miles an hour and as soon as the warning popped up my steering wheel became nearly impossible to turn. I went right into a field as the road turned into a curve and the steering wheel was too hard to turn. I went off the road and into a field. No air bags went off and I slammed my head into the steering wheel. After the shock of what happened I shut my car off and called my fiancÉ crying freaking out as I was still another 40 or so miles away from home. My head hurt but I did not relieve medical attention. He told me to calm down and he would see if there was anything on the internet about this issue with my car. And he found out it is an ongoing issue with many people. He told me to leave my car off for a while and turn it back on. When I did the powersteering worked again and after taking a few deep breaths I was able to get out of the field and rice the rest of the way home without any more incidents that day. 2 days later on May 12th 2015 the powersteering failed again and has since continued to not work. I was inches away from going into a guardrail at 65 mph before I slammed on the breaks and pulled the wheel to the left as hard as I could to get away from the guard rail, thankfully there was no car coming in the left lane.

- Florence, VT, USA

Dec 102014

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Fusion. While driving approximately 45 mph, the steering wheel became very difficult to steer and was unable to turn causing damage to the electric motor and the front tires. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the steering wheel electric motor needed to be reprogrammed and the steering column needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 82,000. Updated 7/28/15

- Mesquite , TX, USA

Aug 052014

Fusion 4-cyl

Power steering went out while husband was turning onto a neighborhood street resulting in hitting a parked vehicle on approximately 8/5/2014. As of today, 5/28/2015, power steering/vehicle has not been repaired and has aggravated/caused neck injury to wife from having to drive without power steering. Wife is currently seeing a neurosurgeon as well as pain management for neck pain, compressed spinal cord, bulging disc, spasms. Wife is currently waiting on epideral steroid injections.

- Choctaw, OK, USA

May 242015

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that while driving at 45 mph, the power steering seized and became difficult to maneuver when making a right or left turn. The failure recurred numerous times. The vehicle was taken to a dealer, but was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 91,000.

- Douglasdille, GA, USA

Apr 292015

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Fusion. While driving approximately 45 mph, the steering wheel seized. The failure recurred multiple times. The vehicle was taken to a dealer for diagnostic testing. The contact was advised that the steering gear needed to be replaced and programmed. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 105,000.

- Shelbiana , KY, USA

Sep 012014

Car had a flat tire, then changed to the spare and started to drive it to get a new tire. Once I started a dashboard notification came up "service advancetrack" and the power steering was gone. The vehicle was nearly impossible to turn. A mechanic replaced the rack and pinion and reset the warning. A few days later the car alerted the same warning and steering assist was gone, mechanic reset the code and the power steering returned. Then 3 days ago, without a flat tire or any notice the power steering went out again making the car nearly impossible to drive again.this time the mechanic said that the code could not be reset due to a component failure.

- Cordova, AL, USA

May 282015

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Fusion. While driving approximately 5 mph, the steering wheel seized while pulling into a driveway. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 138,000.

- Anitoch, TN, USA

May 272015

I was pulling out at an intersection and the power steering went out causing me to have to drive it in a ditch. I was so upset. It almost caused me to hit head on with another vehicle. Apparently lots of people are having this problem and it should be recalled. I am so upset.

- Jackson, GA, USA

May 092015

My vehicle's power-steering got disabled out of nowhere apparently I'm not the only one with this issue, I get an error on the driver panel saying to service power steering now.

- San Juan, PR, USA

May 232015

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Fusion. When the vehicle was started, the power steering failed. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who stated that the power steering module needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The failure mileage was 82,000.

- Norman, OK, USA

May 232015

My power steering is out in my car. It says power asset fault and then it will say service autotrack. I am not the only one I have looked everywhere and there is a lot of people having the same problems that I'm having. It should be recalled. I will tell everyone I know not to get a Ford unless this problem gets recalled. I don't have the 2000 to fix my car.

- Norman, OK, USA

Jan 082015

I was driving around a curb doing 55 mph and all the sudden the steering went out. Way beyond manual steering, extremely hard to handle. It went off the road and almost caused an accident. I have found this is a common problem. The electric steering box is a problem and now I can barely drive it. My wife has no chance of using the vehicle.

- Lackeyy, KY, USA