Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: Ford significantly updated the Fusion for the 2010 model year. We wish they hadn't

2010 Ford Fusion steering problems

2010 Ford Fusion Owner Comments (Page 14 of 27)

Nov 032014

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Fusion. While driving at 25 mph and making a left turn, there was a sudden loss of power steering. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the rack and pinion needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 78,000.

- Saint Johns Bury, VT, USA

May 092015

Electric power assisted steering (epas) failed

- Plainfield, IL, USA

May 092015

I was traveling down the highway around 60 mph and the power assist check message came on. I stopped in the next town and shut car off. When I restarted I said to check system now and had no power steering whatsoever. Since I was 1.5 hours from home I tried driving for about 20 miles and decided that was enough as there was very little control of car. Ended up having someone come pick up car a trailer it home.

- Shell Rock, IA, USA

May 082015

I turn on my Ford Fusion 2010 żż I was leaving my garage in a reverse mode when the direction wheel stuck no opportunity to move in any direction, was stiff one message appears on my front display power stering assit fault I put again my car on parking, turned off wait for 5 minutes and restart the car again, message displayed was erased and direction wheel released, I donżżT feel comfortable that this problem can happened again when I am driving on the I-35 North

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Mar 092015

Driving in rural neighborhood. Pulling into driveway slightly downhill when steering became very difficult to operate. Thank goodness no children were in the area as usual. This steering issue will become a fatal flaw with the Ford Fusion when someone with less strength is involved. Lucky it was a full grown man in the seat and not my daughter. This needs recalled before we lose a life over profit. An ounce of prevention is worth injury to anyone.

- London, KY, USA

Apr 202015

Fusion 4-cyl

Car was driving fine. When I was leaving destination, I was backing out warning light came on epas failure light. Power steering was out very hard to steer. Shut car off, restarted car, light was still on no power steering also advancetrakc light came on. Could have went out at any given time all at once. Very expensive to fix.

- Wichita , KS, USA

Oct 022014

Fusion 6-cyl

Electronic power steering stopped working after having started the car and driving off, messages that displayed on dashboard include "service advancetrac" and "power steering assist faulty".

- Detroit, MI, USA

Apr 242015

Fusion 6-cyl

Vehicle was being driven approximately 45 mph when suddenly the power steering failed and the vehicle became very difficult to steer.thankfully there was not an accident or fatality from an accident. Have been told the power steering control module and rack will need to be replaced. The estimate was $1500. The vehicle is outside of the warranty, so I will have to figure out how to pay for a safety item that Ford obviously knows about.

- Temperance, MI, USA

Apr 222015

Fusion 4-cyl

As I was driving down a city street in heavy traffic, the power steering went completely out. The power steering assist fault came on after the incident.

- Niceville, FL, USA

Apr 202015

Fusion 6-cyl

I was driving about 25-30 mph in the busy streets of van nuys California, I had my entire family in the car as we were going to eat dinner. As I approached the parking lot from the street, the "vehicle dynamic control off indicator light" turned on, then immediately right after a message on the dashboard popped up and read "power steering need service". as soon as I tried to turn into the parking lot the power steering went out, I had to use all my strength to pull the steering wheel and avoid crashing into the cars exiting the parking lot (the cars were waiting to make a right, into the main street van nuys blvd). I can usually muscle a car without power steering, if it were a traditional oil pump, but the electrical system was almost impossible to turn. Luckily I made the turn without incident or injuries, but this is definitely something Ford has to address. There are many situations I can imagine where this power steering failure may lead to property loss, injury or even death. The power steering gave no warning, I looked up how to fix this problem online, only to find that hundreds of people had experienced the same exact problem, I also noticed that all their posts were within the last month, so this problem is not uncommon. Ford must address this problem asap in order to avoid injury or death, they should have noticed this in the testing phase of Fusion production. Thankfully my family and I are ok, but now I have to find a way to work and come up with $1800+ for repairs.

- Burbank, CA, USA

Feb 182015

Power steering assist fault. Service advanced trac. Car has no power steering. Took to Ford on 2/28/15....updated 04/21/15

- West Jordan, UT, USA

Apr 012015

Fusion 6-cyl

My son was driving me on the interstate at about 70 mph. Without any warning, the power steering went out. I am glad he was driving as I had heart surgery a while back and it is very difficult for me to drive this car now. There is also no way that my wife can drive it. Every time I get in the car, I pray that I do not pull something in my chest because it is very difficult to steer. I have a $32000 car that is a piece of junk. I called Ford and they just as well to say tough luck. They have no plans to fix it.

- Charleston, WV, USA

Apr 082015

I was stopped at a 3 way stop. As the car started moving I could not steer the car. When I finally stopped the car I was partially in a someone's yard with a culvert and telephone or electric pole only 2 or 3 feet from me. I thought the car had gone dead. I tried to crank the car only to realize it was still running. I then put the car into reverse and backed out. That was when I realized the steering was the problem. The advance track system then came on. After reading the manual I was hoping that it was due to us having put new tires on the week before. When we took the car to our mechanic he said that Ford would not sell the part and we would have to take it to a Ford dealer. Needless to say it is costing $1700 to repair this. There was a new motor put in the vehicle when it was 2 1/2 years old. It also went out with no warning whatsoever and Ford told us this was the second car they had this happen to.

- Bremen, GA, USA

Oct 292014

On the way to work tcs light and power steering light came on and the dash said service power steering soon and service tcs system soon, then the next time I started my car it wait service tcs and power steering "now" and then there was no power steering at all just manual steering.

- Victorville , CA, USA

Apr 052015

Fusion 4-cyl

Upon exiting the highway and coming down the ramp the dash displayed a message to "service power steering now" then a message to "service advancetrac". the power steering went completely out and I had to use much force to turn the steering wheel. Contacted the dealership service department to setup a service appointment. I have the 6 year, 100,000 mile warranty, but was informed that this was not covered under that warranty. Was told that I would have to pay out of pocket to have the car diagnosed and repaired.

- Etta, MS, USA

Apr 052015

I was traveling during clear conditions, approx. 45 mph, when suddenly the power steering turned off and nearly caused me to crashed my car. I had received a check steering and advancetrac light when I first turned on the car, then 20-30 minutes into my trip the power steering failed and I nearly lost control. This is a very dangerous piece of faulty equipment that needs to be addressed. Ford needs to be held accountable for this. It should not take over 500+ complaints to warrant attention. However, had I been in a fatal crash I'm sure that would attract more attention.

- Parkland, FL, USA

Mar 312015

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Fusion. While driving at 65 mph, the steering wheel became difficult to turn. The contact had to apply force to the steering wheel in order to turn the vehicle. The traction control warning light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic. The mechanic diagnosed that the power steering rack needed to be repaired. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 57,682.

- Philadelphia, PA, USA

Mar 172015

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that the power steering warning lamp illuminated and the vehicle had a sudden loss of power each time the failure recurred. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer for further inspection and diagnostic testing. The VIN was not available. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 70,000.

- Hastings, NE, USA

Mar 242015

Fusion 4-cyl

When driving the power steering system stops and it makes it impossible to make a turn left or right. I called the dealer and it will cost me about $2,000 out of pocket to repair. Error message is, "power steering failure".

- El Paso, TX, USA

Mar 182015

I was driving and service power steering soon and advance trac lights suddenly came on. When I arrived at my destination, I turned off the car and then turned it back on and dash message appeared saying to service power steering now. I went to turn the steering wheel and I could not turn the steering wheel at all. I then had vehicle towed to dealer. Dealer notified me that the power steering rack needed to be replaced at a cost of $1600. I had no prior issues with the power steering prior to this sudden, unexplained incident.

- Royersford, PA, USA