2010 Ford Fusion steering problems

2010 Ford Fusion Owner Comments (Page 14 of 30)

Jul 232015

Fusion

I was going down the road at 25 mph and the steering failed. Power steering was going in and out, and was mostly out. I had to pay for a new steering gear assembly - despite the fact that there seemed to be many, many, many vehicle recalls for steering on the Ford Fusion. The dealership and Ford was unwilling to pay for the replacement part and labor. I had to pay a total of $1833.57 for the steering, labor, and for the alignment. I am hoping that I will be reimbursed from the dealer for the the parts.

- Ypsilanti, MI, USA

Sep 012015

Fusion

Power steering locked up, could not turn the wheel in any direction. This happened in a very rural area where there was no phone service to even call for help. I could have died. This is not safe.

- Aztec, NM, USA

Aug 262015

Fusion 4-cyl

My wife was driving home from work when our 2010 Ford Fusion started pulling hard to the right. She pulled into a tire shop parking lot believing she had a right front tire failure when the information panel said "service power steering now" and "service advance trac, tires were fine. I am very grateful she was no longer on the highway as this could easily have resulted in an accident.

- Greenville, TX, USA

Aug 192015

Fusion

I am receiving numerous "power steering assistance failure" warnings. It happens upon starting my car and it's now becoming more frequent. The result is a total loss of power steering. I know Ford has recalled this item but my year (2010) was excluded. I believe this is a significant enough safety issue to warrant an addendum to the recall to include the year 2010.

- Lancaster, PA, USA

Sep 032015

Fusion

As of last Thursday, the power steering system had been functioning intermittently. As of yesterday it no longer functions at all. At first, the information display would show "power steering system fault" and the power assist would be gone. So I would restart the car and all would be fine. Well yesterday it required 4 restarts before the power assist would work. Then on my last time using the car yesterday it went out completely, no matter how many restarts the system shows that message and has no power assist. There is a recall for this very issue for 2011-2012 but the 2010S definitely need to be included as well. It's the same car and 2010 owners are left to pay for the costly repair ourselves while this is obviously a known issue that is being rectified for 2011 and up owners. It's not fair, Ford needs to stand behind their product not bury their heads in the sand on this 1 year model.

- Dallas, TX, USA

Sep 052015

Fusion

While traveling down a curvy back road at 11:00pm, the power steering service now message appeared on my 2010 Ford Fusion's instrument panel. A mile further down the road, the power steering completely went out forcing me to use every bit of strength I had just to turn the wheel. Thank god I was able to get home safely. After doing some research, I found this is an all too often problem with many 2010 Fusion owners and knew I needed to file this complaint. Shame on Ford for not issuing a recall for the power steering yet. How many bodies do they need to rack up before acknowledging there is a "problem"?

- Covington , OH, USA

Sep 032015

Fusion

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Fusion. While driving approximately 70 mph, there was a complete loss of power steering and the warning indicator illuminated. The contact was able to maneuver to the side of the road cautiously and the engine was turned off. After restarting, the failure persisted and the steering wheel was extremely difficult to turn. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 57,000.

- Lithonia, GA, USA

Apr 292015

Fusion

A couple of months ago the power steering fault light came on when I put it into gear and went to move the vehicle. So I put it back to park waited a min then restarted the car. After doing so the light wouldn't reappear for a week or two. Then it would do it again. So I checked the fuses being its electric power steering and no blown fuses. Then it would happen about every week. The user manual stated that without the power steering it would not harm the advance trac. This is not the first car ive driven without power steering(also a Ford). The advance trac light would apear after another month and only when the power steering light was on. Which is now every time I start the car.so I took it to the Ford dealership were they gave me a quote for the gear asy part# ae5Z-3504-de. This car is not old, very well maintained with appropriate maintenance. This should not be happening and I fear the car is not going to turn when needed to avoid hazards and other needed situations while driving.

- Winnemucca, NV, USA

Jun 172015

Fusion

I was driving the Fusion when the power steering suddenly went out. It is nearly impossible to turn and could cause a serious accident if it goes out while being driven, as mine did. After parking the car, the advance trac and power steering service lights came on. Unacceptable in a car less than 5 years old!!!!

- Archdale, NC, USA

Jul 162014

Fusion

My power steering light came on and within ten miles of the light coming on the steering wheel would not move at all. I had to have it towed to the mechanic where I was told it needed a new steering rack and that this was a common problem with the Ford Fusion. It has been thirteen months since then and I need to replace it yet again. Twice in thirteen months and when I called the dealer they didn't get back to me. My car shouldn't cost $4400 in thirteen months for the same problem.

- Portsmouth, NH, USA

Aug 202015

Fusion

2010 Ford Fusion. When driving through a construction zone, going around a slight bend, my steering wheel got extremely tight. For a second I thought the engine shut down. It took all I had to turn the wheel to avoid hitting the median. I lost all power steering. I am lucky that I was strong enough to be able to turn the wheel to avoid the median. After the complete scare, and thankfully I was the only one in the car, the message came up "power steering asist fault, service advanctrac". I took it right to a Ford garage. They told me that the steering rack needed to be replaced at the lovely tune of $1,400. After doing some digging, I found that there has been a recall for the same problem for the 2011+ Ford Fusion, built in the same plant mine was(Mexico). I contacted Ford, which is actually precepta, and they told me that the recall is VIN specific. I question why the 2010's we not recalled when they are having the same problems.

- Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Jun 302015

Fusion

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Fusion. While driving at various speeds, the power steering assist warning indicator illuminated and the steering wheel seized. The failure recurred numerous times. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was repaired, but the failure recurred. The repair details were unknown. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 120,000.

- Cornell, WI, USA

Jun 042015

Fusion

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Fusion. While driving 37 mph, the power steering failed which made it difficult to drive the vehicle. The contact mentioned that the power steering assist fault warning light illuminated on the instrument panel. The vehicle was taken to a dealer, who diagnosed and recommended that the power steering control module needed to be replaced. The failure was reported to the manufacturer who referred the contact to NHTSA. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 107,000.

- Macon, GA, USA

Aug 212015

Fusion

Steering wheel locked up going down road at about 40 very dangerous if on a curvy road. The light came on and said check power steering then it went out.

- New Market , AL, USA

Jul 022015

Fusion

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Fusion. Immediately after starting the vehicle, the power steering light illuminated on the instrument panel and the power steering seized. The failure recurred four times. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, where it was diagnosed that the power steering needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 130,000.

- Buena Park, CA, USA

Aug 112015

Fusion

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Fusion. While backing out of a driveway at 5 mph, the power steering seized and the power steering warning indicator illuminated on the instrument panel. The vehicle was powered off and restarted, which resumed normal operation. The contact stated that the issue recurred intermittently. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The failure mileage was 82,495.

- Warren, MI, USA

Mar 152015

Fusion

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that the fuel inlet warning light illuminated. The contact also stated that the check engine warning light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the fuel tank failed. The vehicle was not repaired. While driving approximately 5 mph, the steering wheel seized and required excessive force. The contact stated that the power steering assist fault message appeared on the dashboard. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failures. The approximate failure mileage was 82,000.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Fusion

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Fusion. While making a left turn at approximately 35 mph, the steering wheel became difficult to maneuver without warning. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the rack and pinion needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 42,000. Updated 9/28/15

- Eerie, PA, USA

Fusion

While driving my 2010 Ford Fusion the power steering went out without warning. Luckily no one was hurt. At first I could turn the engine off and back on again and the power steering was back. Not the case now. Now the messege comes up..."power steering assist fault. Service advancetrac" no power steering at all. This has happened while I was driving! ++ no recall"?" I've researched this and 100's of people have experienced the exact same problem. Ford should fix this problem for everyone before someone gets hurt or killed.

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Fusion

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Fusion. While driving at 60 mph, the steering wheel became difficult to turn. The contact had to apply force to the steering wheel in order to steer the vehicle and the service power steering now message displayed across the message board. The tire pressure monitoring system warning light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to a dealer. The contact was unsure about the part that needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 80,000.

- Dearborn, MI, USA