2010 Ford Fusion steering problems

2010 Ford Fusion Owner Comments (Page 15 of 30)

Aug 072015

Fusion

My 19 year old daughter was driving to college when out of the blue she went to drive around a right hand corner at about 45 mph and the electronic power steering completely failed the car steering was so hard to turn the car didn't make the right hand turn so the car went across the road and up over the curb and almost hit a lady walking her dog no one was hurt but sure could have been the car has no other damage besides the steering and the advance track not working I'm very glad everyone is ok I'm 50 years old and I have never seen anything like this I had to go get the car off the curb and drive it to the Ford dealer way hard to do even harder then a older vehicle if the power steering failed something really needs to be done before someone gets killed 42000 miles car is like new and I see well over 500 complaints so far so I would say this isn't just a random problem.

- Erie, PA, USA

Mar 012015

Fusion

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds and approaching a turn, the steering wheel required force in order to steer the vehicle. The power steering assist warning light illuminated. The failure recurred intermittently. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 97,000.

- Orlando, FL, USA

Aug 112015

Fusion

While driving approximately 30 mph lost all power steering. Very hard to steer could have caused a crash. The dash readout said power steering assist failure, service advancetrac. Car has only 55,708 miles on it. Very dangerous problem when you can loose power steering while driving. Thank god there wasn't an accident.

- Northwood, OH, USA

Aug 022015

Fusion

While driving steering locked and service advancetrac light came on. It is happening multiple times almost causing me to crash

- Cottonport, LA, USA

Jul 212015

Fusion

Driving on I 76 and power steering stopped working a of a sudden. A message came up on the dashboard that said "check advancetrac" " service power steering". the dealer said it's a problem with the computer module and I need a new rack and pinion which will cost me over $1800. There has been numerous complaints about the power steering for Ford Fusion and even recalls regarding the issue on 2011 through 2015, but since my car is a 2010 and is not part of the recall I have to pay out of pocket. It is a major safety concern. When my power steering went out I could barely make turns and had to get a man on the street to park my car because I didn't have the strength to. My 1 year old son was in the vehicle with me when this happened. My car is 5 years old and only has $33000 miles on it and Ford refuses to help me with this expense at all. They are a terrible company who only cares about saving money. They are not even concerned about their customers safety and how this can cause accidents. Sorry Ford all of us don't have $1800 to shell out on repairs that are something that should of never happened in the first place. Do not buy a Ford Fusion! also do not take your car for repair at john kennedy Ford in conshohocken, pa.

- Philadelphia, PA, USA

Aug 012015

Fusion

My 20 year old daughter and two friends were traveling back from the campground heading back to one of the friends house for the night. They had decided to stop by a coffee shop just around the corner from where they were heading. When she went to make the turn from the highway into the parking lot the car lost all power steering. She managed to get the car into a parking space and no one was injured nor was there a wreck. She stated to me that the car was fine no problems at all until she slowed to make the turn into the parking lot that when the power steering went out and a message came up on the dash along with the traction control symbol. There were no warning signs before the problem accrued just happened at the snap of your finger.

- Stanley, NC, USA

Jul 302015

Fusion

Power steering failure while driving. Was extremely difficult to manually steer it into safe place. This also happened to my mother in law and my wife when they were driving. So three incidents total. Very unsafe. All three times, the steering worker again when car was restarted

- Fairfax, VA, USA

Jun 032015

Fusion

Electric steering stopped working just like the recalled 2011 & 2012 Fusion but the 2010 was not recalled. Ford reset the codes and it happened again. Multiple other error codes had them replace other parts for $600 but the electric power steering kept faulting every few days after a reset so they replaced the defective electric steering part for $2400. No problems since. Why wasn't the 2010 recalled too?

- Wilton, CT, USA

Jun 142015

Fusion

While driving at 50 mph my daughter lost power steering and had great difficulty pulling over safely. Had the vehicle towed to garage who couldn't fix it so she had to drive to a dealer (it pulled badly as she drove) and the dealer fixed it $1525. And said they had seen this several times before

- Fernandina Beeach, FL, USA

Apr 062015

Fusion

I was driving, and the car chimed a couple of times and the power steering immediately stopped working. The service power steering system now reading and advance trac reading started to show. Ford says it has not had any major issues as per 2 Ford service dealerships. I went to college for automotive and worked as a tech for Ford and I know power steering randomly going out is a safety issue. We were fortunate to not have any injuries, but this issue almost got us into a wreck. I will not pay Ford to fix a dysfunctional part that they installed. Paying Ford to fix the problem is like paying a serial killer to sharpen your knives before he/she decides which knife to stab you with.

- Washougal, WA, USA

Jan 142015

Fusion

This issue happens often. It has happened in neutral, first and second gears. I will either be stationary or driving and the power steering assist will fail and throw up a fault on my dash. At that point it is impossible to turn the steering wheel causing me to not be able to control the car.

- Smithton, MO, USA

Jul 062015

Fusion

My wife was driving the Ford Fusion and an error for "service power steering" came up on her dashboard. She still had power steering and was able to make it to work and park. Upon leaving work, she turned the car on and realized the power steering was completely gone. She could not drive the car because she could not efficiently turn the wheel. I had to go pick her up and at which point I realized I could attempt to steer the car. I was able to make the commute home safely, although the drive was a struggle the entire time. We took the car to a Ford dealership. They were unaware of any common issues. They diagnosed the car needing a new rack and pinion unit (the epas unit). We replaced the rack and pinion, not through Ford because they wanted $1800 we did not have. And the issue is still present. The car not safe to drive. It has been a real inconvenience for my family. The car is 5 years old and this is a major issue. And we still have 3 years left of payments on something that is currently not drive-able....//. updated10/27/15

- Winston-Salem, NC, USA

Nov 192014

Fusion

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that the power steering warning light illuminated. The contact mentioned that while driving at low speeds, the steering wheel required additional force in order to steer the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the power steering control module needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 80,000.

- Orlando, FL, USA

Jul 192015

Fusion

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Fusion. While driving at any speed, the service advance traction and service power steering now warning lights illuminated and the power steering seized. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The manufacturer was made aware of the failures. The approximate failure mileage was 120,000.

- Smyrna, SC, USA

Jul 182015

Fusion 4-cyl

While making a right hand turn, after stopping at a traffic light, an alarm sounded and a notification popped up saying "service advancetrac" and there was a complete loss off power steering. As I have done in the past when this issue has occurred, I shut the car off and then restarted it and the problem and notification were gone. Moments later while driving on the highway the exact same problem happened again. I pulled off to the shoulder, restarted but this time the problem persisted. Now after 3 restarts the problem remains and my car remains extremely difficult to steer safely. Updated 12/21/2015

- Lakewood, OH, USA

Dec 012014

Fusion

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that the power steering warning indicator illuminated. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 72,000.

- El Cajon , CA, USA

Feb 022015

Fusion

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Fusion. While driving at slower speeds, the power steering assist failed. Once the failure occurred, the power steering assist fault, engine light, and advance track failure warning indicator illuminated on the instrument panel. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer for diagnostic testing. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 48,000.

- Detroit , MI, USA

Jul 132015

Fusion

This morning I drove my 2010 Ford Fusion without incident. Went out later the same day and had the power steering and advance trac service messages appear less than a mile after I started driving. I went 3 or 4 more miles and had the power steering message go to service power steering now!. in the span of 4 miles I went form no issues to having no power steering and barely being able to keep the car on the road. Looking on line several other people have experienced the same issue. This is extremely dangerous if a less experienced driver or someone not as strong as I was would have been driving there could have been a major incident. Please look into this problem before someone gets seriously hurt.

- Hampstead, NC, USA

Jun 252015

Fusion

Car lost power steering as I was turning, pulled hard right, causing car to hit a small tree. Minor damage; cracked headlight lens and front nose piece detached from fenders. The car was restarted and the steering appeared to be fine. However, since this happened, the steering appears to be harder to control and the car has a hard pull when accelerating similar to torque steering. The car never had a problem with torque steering prior to this incident. The car also developed a sway when hitting the smallest road bumps, such as coming off a bridge.

- Winter Haven, FL, USA

Apr 152015

Fusion

For months I have been resetting my cars "power steering assist fault" by turning my car off and turning it back on and the power steering would suddenly work again. Last night my car took a couple turns on and off for it to work which is the first time it took more than once to reset. Today after church I turned my car on and off 10 times and it still wouldn't reset so I was forced to drive my car home with no power steering, thinking about the fact that if a car served or a kid ran out in front of me, I wouldn't be able to swerve to avoid them. Besides the fact that I can't drive my car to get to and from work this way, I don't have 1500 dollars to fix a problem that should be recalled in my 2010 Ford Fusion as well as the 2011-2012 years. This problem is obviously a result of faulty equipment used in manufacturing and not because of the driver.

- Greer, SC, USA