Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: Ford significantly updated the Fusion for the 2010 model year. We wish they hadn't

2010 Ford Fusion steering problems

2010 Ford Fusion Owner Comments (Page 15 of 26)

Jan 272015

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that while driving at 50 mph, the steering wheel seized as the power steering warning light illuminated. The vehicle was not taken to a dealer. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 50,000.

- Bufflao, NY, USA

Jan 272015

Started the car in the morning and noticed the advancetrac notification on and soon as I turned the wheel it was extremely hard and took all my strength. When I went to pull forward I nearly jumped the curb because I wasn't able to turn the wheel fast enough. I can no longer work as my requires me to drive all day. And don't have the funds $1400-2000 estimated cost of fix. I've seen numerous videos and complaints of the same problem. This needs to be addressed before it becomes fatal.

- Sacramento, CA, USA

Jan 112015

My son was running errands. He went inside a store & when he got back in the car the service power steering now light was illuminated as well as advance trac. He called home & said he tried to back up but could not get the steering wheel to turn. We left the car parked & had it towed to a Ford dealer on Monday a.M. I went on the internet to see if I could find out what kind of repair might be needed & how much it would be. I was shocked to find out that there was a class action lawsuit against Ford for the exact steering failure my Ford Fusion had experienced. I am thankful my son was not driving at the time the steering failed. However, I am very concerned at this time because I own a 2nd 2010 Ford Fusion which my other son drives. I bought both my sons a Ford Fusion AWD because I wanted them to have a safe vehicle. Ford should be ashamed for not informing owners of this potential power steering failure. They should be made to replace the faulty steering before a serious or even fatal accident happens as a result of their negligence. I had to pay $1750 dollars to have the power steering replaced & the advance trac fixed. The Ford dealer knew of the problem with the Fusion but said Ford would not pay for the repair. I have always done the required preventative maintenance on my cars & keep them in perfect condition. I had to put the full amount on a charge card, which now I will pay interest on. I don't have the financial ability to pay for or even "charge" another $1750 to replace the power steering on my other 2010 Ford Fusion. I am scared to death something will happen while my other son continues to drive what seems to be a "steering failure ticking time bomb" as he needs a car to get to work daily. Ford needs to fix this...quickly!

- Tomball, TX, USA

Jan 022015

Fusion 4-cyl

I was driving my 2010 Ford Fusion when the power steering just gave out on the entrance the highway. There is no explained problem with Ford on why this is happening, but from what I understand this is an on going safety investigation with NHTSA. Ford should address this safety issue before someone gets badly hurt.

- Bronx , NY, USA

Jan 222015

Fusion 4-cyl

Power steering failed completely without warning. Vehicle was nearly impossible to steer. Without my upper body strength their would have undoubtedly been a crash. Even with my upper body strength, which is considerable, an accident was narrowly avoided.

- Bedford, IN, USA

Oct 012014

While driving the vehicle the power steering went out during a turn with no warning what so ever. A light came on and the steering has been effected ever since making it nearly impossible to turn the vehicle safely.

- Fayetteville, NC, USA

Jan 132015

Fusion 4-cyl

Just made it home from work and picking up my son from school. I put the car in reverse, began backing out the driveway, when the warning light came on and power steering went out simultaneously. 2010 Fusion under $50K miles. My car is at the dealership now.

- Detroit, MI, USA

Jan 102015

Fusion 6-cyl

Our 16 year old daughter was driving in town on Saturday on our icy roads when suddenly the power steering failed. As a relatively new driver she had no idea what happened but was able to maintain control of the car and get it parked. From the description of the sensors it appears to be a electric power assisted steering (epas) failure. In looking through the internet this appears to be a relatively common problem on the Ford Fusion of this era.

- White Bear Lake, MN, USA

Sep 012014

Fusion 4-cyl

Was traveling at about 50 mph on side street and the power steering assist light came on and lost all power steering. I am a big man and was not to far from home and was able to muscle it to the driveway. It has sat there since. My wife is slight in stature and if this had happened to her I have no doubt she could not steer the car.

- Houston , TX, USA

Jan 032015

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Fusion. While driving approximately 45 mph, the power steering light illuminated and the steering wheel became difficult to turn. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 108,000.

- Commerce , GA, USA

Dec 192014

Fusion 4-cyl

While driving to a friends house, the power steering just went out. The vehicle was almost impossible to steer though it was able to be driven off the side of the road. Had it taken to the nearest Ford dealership and they stated that it was a power steering failure that would cost 2000 to repair.

- Manvel, TX, USA

Dec 212014

Fusion 4-cyl

When driving home with my baby I noticed I wasn't able to turn the steering wheel to move over in the other lane. I had to stop my car in the middle of the street and have someone come to help me get my car to the side of the road. There was not any warning of anything being wrong with my car. The power steering went out in the car. I called the Ford dealership and spoke to the head of the service dept and he confirmed the cost would be about $1600 to repair but couldn't be for sure until I get a diagnostic check done for $89.99. He was aware of the issue and stated his own daughter in law had the same problem that is how he is pretty sure what the issue is and the cost to repair. I asked about a recall and he had not heard of anything as of now. I'm a single mom and can't afford this repair. I feel like Ford should pay for the faulty part with especially with the number of complaints. If I hadn't had control at the time the situation could have been a lot worse. I'm praying that Ford will take responsibility and fix my car as I'm currently without transportation.

- Marietta, GA, USA

Dec 272014

While driving 30mph the advancetrac system flashed on the that dash board. As a result I lost all power steering control and almost ran head on to an, on coming vehicle as I was making a right hand turn. Took the vehicle to dealer to get repaired ($1249.40). This all occurred on 12/15/2012. The second incident happened on 12/27/ 2014. As my family was traveling 70mph down I44 near joplin, Missouri. The advancetrac system flashed on the dash board and once again I lost all power steering control. In doing so the vehicle took a hard right almost putting my vehicle underneath a tractor tailor. I was able to get the vehicle under control and limped the vehicle back to my home. The fault in this vehicle almost killed me and my family, this is a on going problem with this vehicle around the nation. How many fatalities is it going to take before the NHTSA forces the Ford Motor Company to recall the vehicle's and fix the problem. Thank you for your work, in getting this problem resolved.

- Independence, KS, USA

Dec 212014

Fusion 4-cyl

The power steering went out where I wasn't able to steer the car. I had to pull over and not drive it or I could have had a reck.

- Marietta, GA, USA

Nov 112014

Fusion 6-cyl

While driving through parking lot and turning into a spot power steering suddenly went out and service auto trak light came on. Power steering was immediately lost and I almost struck a car. I was able to get stopped and maneuver the vehicle out of harms way. Checked for power steering pump failure and found that it was electrical power assist. This sudden loss of power steering could have caused fatality had I been on the highway or on a busy street. This problem requires further investigation.

- St Marys, GA, USA

Dec 192014

While driving, a traction light came on, some warning beeping and it said service power steering and auto trac. Steering wheel got really hard to turn and had to drive it in to mechanic.

- St. Paul, MN, USA

Dec 172014

I had a problem with my power steering wheel wit a Ford Fusion 2010 I investigate end found that 2009 to 2011 have a power steering wheel problems that cost 1600 to fix it there's 1000600 complains about this and Ford needs to change all the power steering wheels end there's being a lot of accidents when people are driving on the freeway when the power steering brake down they should make Ford fix this problem like they made Chrysler I don't know know how much people are going to die until you guys fix this.

- Richmond, CA, USA

Dec 022014

My car started saying power steering warning message, and the wheel very hard to turn, I went to the dealer ship, where I purchase, he told me he couldn't do nothing, I just purchase my Fusion 2010 Ford four months ago.

- Corpus Christi, TX, USA

Nov 172014

Fusion 6-cyl

This is 3rd incident. Daughter driving vehicle on interstate approx 75mph. After 1 hr of driving, steering got stiff, advance trac light sensor appeared and "service power steering". she slowed down and was able to exit the interstate safely and park the vehicle at a gas station. After turning off the vehicle and turning back on, power steering was completely out. "service power steering now." My husband went to pick up the vehicle and see if it needed to be towed back to dealer. Once the car sat for about an hour, my husband turned on the vehicle and steering was operational. He was able to drive the vehicle back to the dealer (an hour drive on interstate going 50mph). He noted that the steering would come and go - didn't matter what speed he was going- it was sporadic. Dealer recommends new power steering even though the power steering was replaced 2 years ago. They weren't sure if this would or would not happen again. Seems to be a Ford defective part (software issue or sensors) that hasn't been recalled yet so by replacing the module again may only be a band aid till a recall is made and a "fix" is made to this part. "advance trac sensor, ?torque sensor, etc.. seems like once the advance trac sensor is tripped, it's a domino effect and power steering sensor is somehow disabled. Ford already recalled other models with this epas for different defective sensors - not sure why the Ford Fusion haven't been recalled yet. Maybe they don't know the exact cause of the power steering failure"

- York, SC, USA

Dec 092014

Fusion 6-cyl

The power steering had started to whine on Monday morning December 8th. The problem ceased to repeat until this morning Wednesday December 10th, the problem came back much worse. The steering wheel feels to lose electronic assistance - at lower speeds it is more noticeable. This has the likeliness to cause a safety issue when on the road and electronic steering malfunctions or does not assist properly.

- Eastpointe, MI, USA