2010 Ford Fusion steering problems

2010 Ford Fusion Owner Comments (Page 2 of 29)

Oct 222016

Fusion

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Fusion. While driving 30 mph, the power steering did not respond and the "service advancetrac" and "service power steering now" warning indicators illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, but was not diagnosed or repaired. The vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 15V340000 (steering). The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 126,750.

- Nashville, NC, USA

Oct 182016

Fusion

My wife was driving her 2010 Ford Fusion when she hit a pot hole which caused the power steering assist module to stop working. She in turn lost all power steering and almost lost control of the vehicle.

- Columbus, IN, USA

Aug 312016

Fusion

Unable to steer car. Car was stationary. Car was parked in a parking lot. Was leaving the site. I started car and when I started to move I realized the steering was not working. I was unable to steer car. Immediately stopped and called aaa for a tow to the local Ford dealership.

- Bolton, CT, USA

Oct 192016

Fusion 4-cyl

My daughter was driving home from work last night made a turn and the power steering locked up, the dash went dark and it displayed a power assist failure, she stopped the car, turned the ignition off then on and the power steering worked so she could get home. On the way to dropping the car off at the repair shop the power steering failed again. This is a very serious problem with this 2010 Ford Fusion the power steering has fallen not once but twice, we replaced the power steering rack and pinion 3 years ago at 69,460 miles. The repair shop just called and the diagnostic code is that the power steering rack and pinion has failed again at 98,000 miles. I called fair oaks Ford and they said they haven't had any issues like I described but you can see on the website that there are hundreds of issues. Why hasn't there been a recall for this problem.

- Naperville, IL, USA

Oct 192016

Fusion

My power steering goes out each year, displaying on my dashboard to "service advancetrac" and service power steering. I have been having this issue for 3 years now. It is very difficult to turn the steering wheel. The first time this issue occurred, I paid metro Ford ( located on 6455 S western which is where I take my vehicle for service), five hundred dollars to repair my vehicle. The second time this happened, I bought the car back, I was told this time the problem is much more severe and I will have to have my entire power steering unit replaced, which could cost between $2,000 - $3,000. I could not afford it. I drove around an entire year with a dysfunctional steering wheel. I received a letter in the mail stating to bring my vehicle in for a inspection, so I did. The inspection was complete and I was told, they also had reset the car (which solved the power steering issue). This is now the third time this is happening, I called in and made an appointment to bring my vehicle in for a resetting and also explained the situation. They never attempted to reset the car, they were dismissive of my situation, and just keep insisting I pay $2K-$3K. Please accuse any typos or run on sentences. I am frustrated as I type this. Sorry!!! I have been told by a rep. There, they do not reset vehicles there, but I have documents stating that the vehicle was reset. The reps continue to dish out prices reassuring me my power steering unit needs to be replaced, but when I ask did anyone attempt to reset the car, I was told no.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Oct 122016

Fusion 6-cyl

The electric power steering on the vehicle went completely out while driving the vehicle after the indicator light warning to service soon came on. This happened on a major roadway where the speed limit is posted at 55 miles per hour while the vehicle was in motion. During the turn is when it became more evident that it had already gone out, as the turn is narrow and it almost caused an accident with the car in the lane close to the direction I was going in.

- San Bernardino, CA, USA

Oct 162016

Fusion 4-cyl

The power steering assist fault indicator will not reset. Loss of power steering. How can Ford have a recall for the 2011 and 2012 Fusion but not the 2010? this is very dangerous when you lose power steering while your driving.

- Canton, GA, USA

Oct 152016

Fusion

Every since I have owned the car the power steering assist fault will go out randomly. I had a Ford dealership check it and they couldn't find anything after they hooked it up. The other places either. This time it went out on the road which was dangerous. I am very frustrated there is no recall on my year when this is obviously a Ford problem. Looking online there are tons of complaints.

- Russell, KS, USA

Oct 112016

Fusion

I have been experiencing issues with my power steering assist in my vehicle. The steering wheel automatically locks while either trying to drive (stationary) and while driving (in motion) the vehicle. The Ford company has not released a recall for this issue, however there is a class action lawsuit for this very issue with motorists owning the same make and model vehicle who are experiencing the electric power wheel assist issue. I have found other sites where motorists have explained the same issue of the steering wheel locking/not working during the time of someone driving, turning the wheel, or simply preparing to drive the vehicle. I am expressing my deep concern for national safety as many americans have purchased this vehicle and are driving on the roads! I pray this recall can occur before someone may experience a fatality leading to death. I have uploaded a picture of my very own vehicle experiencing the power steering assist fault.

- Columbus, OH, USA

Oct 122016

Fusion

Service power steering now warning light resulting in no power steering. Yesterday morning when we started our car to drive me to work, the service advancetrac and service power steering warnings flashed and stayed on the dash. It was driving ok when we left our house to stop for gas. Upon turning rhe car back on the warning changed to service power steering now and we had no power steering. My husband was able ro get me to work and back home which was a major struggle and now the car is sitting in front of our house. Mileage is right around 78000 or so and just had service last week of August.

- Old Forge, PA, USA

Oct 092016

Fusion

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Fusion. While driving 35 mph, the power steering seized and the power steering warning indicator illuminated. The vehicle restarted after one attempt. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the power steering rack needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 184,500.

- Uniontown, PA, USA

May 102015

Fusion

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Fusion. While driving approximately 40 mph, the power steering failed. The vehicle was driven to the dealer, but was not diagnosed or repaired. The failure recurred multiple times. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 120,000.

- Moreno Valley, CA, USA

Aug 232016

Fusion

While driving down the interstate, I experienced a sudden loss of power steering followed by the power steering/advance trac failure light appearing on the dash. I carefully pulled over and had my car towed to the service department. Ford determined I needed to replace the pscm R&R steering gear at a cost of $1919.63

- Paducah, KY, USA

Sep 162016

Fusion

Power steering system fault message came on when starting the car. Restarted the vehicle but message remained. Drove home 45 miles without power steering. Next time I started the vehicle power steering was fine. Stopped at Ford dealer and they stated that nothing could be done if message was being displayed. Message again appeared approximately two weeks later but went off when vehicle was restarted. Took the vehicle to another Ford dealer and described the problem (October 5, 2016). Their diagnostic indicated that the power steering gear assembly needed to be replaced. This appears to be the same part that was recalled on 2011-2013 Ford Fusion. The part has been replaced at a cost of approximately $1,800.

- Lansing, MI, USA

Oct 102016

Fusion

Steering assist fault. No power steering. Was on and off, now just no power steering at all.

- Whittier, NC, USA

Sep 212016

Fusion

Driving home from work my steering asst fault light came on at the stop light and the car became difficult to drive fought the car home. Days later got to the dealership to tell me the power steering gear need to replaced to the tune of 1800. To no fault of my own. The recall only included 2011-2013 when my car is doing the exact same thing noted in the other recalls

- Hope Mills, NC, USA

Sep 062016

Fusion

My daughter's 2010 Ford Fusion power steering went out while she was driving it. She didn't crash the car but it made it hard to turn. He low tire indicator light came on and then all of a sudden the power steering just went out. We got the tire pressure back but now the power steering won't work. We had one mechanic look at the car but he says it's the steering rack and those cars are known for this issue. I've researched this and see there has been lots of complaints with the same issue and think Ford needs to issue a recall before someone gets hurt bad or killed. I also own a 2012 Ford Fusion and the fuel pump went out in it and I have seen that this is a issue with this year. The cost of that repair was $555 and the steering rack can range from $1200 to $1600 and if Ford doesn't do anything about either issue then I will not buy another Ford vehicle again.

- Bristol, TN, USA

Jul 272016

Fusion

Power steering failed and power steering assist fault displayed on dash. Restarted car and power steering worked ok. I took the car to the dealer on 07/28/09 to have it checked out and they could not duplicate the problem. They told me that there was a recall for this problem on later models but not on the 2010. The same thing happened yesterday 10.07/16. I am concerned that this could happen at high speed and cause a major accident.

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

May 152016

Fusion

On may14th the check steering warning message came on. The following day the power assist on the steering was not working. I was able to drive the car slowly to the dealer. They had to replace the steering gear. There was 112, 000 miles on the car when the failure occurred.

- Dearborn, MI, USA

Aug 292016

Fusion

When back up from parking spot and garage, the steering wheel was locked. "power steering assist fault" message showed on the dash. Happened several times during the week, sent the car to dealer to check. But, the dealer couldn't find anything wrong. The dealer's action was reset the software code. It happened again during the weekend. The car was sent back to the dealer. The whole steering gear was replaced and cost $1670.

- Troy, MI, USA