Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: Ford significantly updated the Fusion for the 2010 model year. We wish they hadn't

2010 Ford Fusion steering problems

2010 Ford Fusion Owner Comments (Page 2 of 27)

Sep 282016

The contact owned a 2010 Ford Fusion. While driving approximately 40 mph and turning left, the steering wheel seized and the "steering wheel default" warning message illuminated. The contact lost control of the vehicle and crashed into a tree. The air bags failed to deploy. A police report was filed. The driver and passenger sustained unknown injuries that required medical attention. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic and deemed destroyed. The VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 15V793000 (steering). The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 100,000.

- Jackson, MS, USA

Sep 252016

The electronic steering assist... steering on my Ford Fusion is starting to fail I saw the was a recall from same issue on 2011 and up I contacted Ford Motor Company and explained the problem they said they was no recall for my year model.. when im experiencing the same problem.. the steering wheel has locked on me 2 times while I was at work at walmart on 9/25/ 2016. At 44665 valley central way, lancaster, ca 93536.. but Ford refused to fix the problem. Their only advice was to take car and pay the repair out of my own pocket

- Palmdale, CA, USA

Sep 232016

Steering sensor fault/ service advance trac.... 95,000 miles. Complete loss of power steering at a speed of 2-25 mph.... 2011-2012 models recalled, however 2010 not covered and has the same TRW gen 1 epas module!?!

- Grosse Pointe Woods, MI, USA

Sep 142016

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that the power steering failed. The dealer diagnosed that the electronic power steering module failed and needed to be replaced. The VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 15V340000 (steering). The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 40,000.

- Lawndale, CA, USA

Sep 222016

Power steering failed trying to get of parking space, shut down engine waited 5 minutes and restarted engine...power steering was back, took car to Ford dealer and they are going to replace steering control assembly at $1900 costly fix..

- Menifee, CA, USA

Sep 092016

My daughter's 2010 Ford Fusion power steering went out while driving after and was because she had a low tire. The advance trac system light is on but no power steering. We've had it looked atbut nobody can give me a solution and it's a $100 just to have the dealer run a diognostic on it. I've been doing some research and this appears to be a common problem with these Fusion and most are replacing the whole steering rack averaging around $1500 to replace. I think Ford needs to do a recall because of the danger of the power steering going out while driving.

- Bristol, TN, USA

Sep 172016

2 warning service errors will show up and power steering becomes disabled as driving on residential street. Power steering became completely disabled by the time the tow truck came to pick it up. Mechanic stated it was the same codes as the recall for 2011 Ford Fusion. Had to take it to the Ford dealer to have it correctly fixed. Stated it was the steering rack assembly. Looked up issue and many others with Fusion has the same exact issue but no recall on 2010 models. Same issue and fix for the Ford Fusion with recalls (2011 and above) extremely dangerous as power steering went out and could have caused a life threatening crash. Luckily my fiance (future husband) was driving the car as I would have not been strong enough to safely pull over by turning the wheel.

- Naperville, IL, USA

Sep 152016

I was driving and I lost steering I had had no control of my vehicle I almost crashed into another vehicle on a semi busy street, then the service power steeing now light came on. I had no steering I came to a stop put the car in park and restarted it. The service power steering now light came back on. I could not get the steering back I could not turn the wheel. My husband had to come get the car because it was to hard for me to steer. I had to have my car towed more than 60 miles because we dont have a dealership where we live. The service tech called me to let me know it was a failure on the power steering and the cost was around $2500 to replace it.

- Las Vegas, NM, USA

Sep 052016

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that the vehicle experienced a loss of power steering. The power steering and traction control warning indicators illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the electronic steering assist assembly was defective and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 69,784.

- Indianapolis, IN, USA

Sep 082016

Power steering. This is 7th time I taking my car to the dealership in the past 2 years, and 3 times this just past month. Ive been told I new steering wheel has been put on and the same issue keeps coming back. I have never had any other problems with my car besides the damn power steering failing. What is Ford going to do about this.!!!!!!? or are they waiting for someone to die before they do something about it.

- Albuquerque, NM, USA

Sep 022015

I bought a 2010 Ford Fusion from planet Suzuki dealership in 2014. I didn't have any real problems for 2 years. I am leasing this vehicle for $22000. However, in Sept 2, 2015 the power steering rack went. I brought it to the dealership to be fixed and they told me there was no warranty on it. My finance company financed the payments of $870 in my weekly payments. The dealership informed me, it would be a new power steering rack put on. But, 3 weeks later the power steering went again. This time the dealership fixed it, because there was a warrant on the part. Then 6 months later it went again in june23, 2016. But this time they wouldn't fix it, cause they told me the warranty was expired, cause I went over 22000 miles. They say they don't no what keep causing it to go out! I feel like if it went out 3 times in 9 months, it should get fixed and not by me again. Then I found out there is recall on the power steering rack. However, I don't know if that pertains to my 2010 Ford Fusion. The dealership did not disclose to me there was any recalls on my vehicle. I can't affordd to pay $2500-$3000 for the power steering for a brand new one to be put on, as well as make my weekly payments on this vehicle. The first time the power steering went out on my I was on the highway, with my daughter and granddaughter, and we almost ended up having an accident.

- Charlotte, NC, USA

Sep 022016

My vehicle was stationary, setting in a parking lot. When I went to back out of a parking spot, I got an indication on my dash "power steering fault" and the steering wheel was unmovable.

- Mt. Airy, NC, USA

Sep 062016

I was driving down a mountain pass and a warning light came on stating "power steering sensor fault" and at the same time my power steering went out. I did not know what to do so I manhandled it until I got to my office but had a difficult time making a left turn and could not manhandle it into a parking space; I had to find one I could drive straight into. When I came out a couple hours later, the power steering worked. I took my car directly to my mechanic and he looked it up online and found many were having the exact same issue and yet there has not been any recalls (please see: I took my car to riverside Ford in sumner, wa to get this fixed and they are telling me that there has not been complaints regarding this issue. All you have to do is go online and you will see many stating the same issue. This is a safety issue and I am worried about others out there who have a sudden loss of steering. Please look into this before someone gets hurt. A recall needs to take place. I called corporate received a case number of cas-10508774.

- Tacoma, WA, USA

Aug 232016

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Fusion. While driving 20 mph, the steering wheel seized and "power steering failure assist" was displayed across the message board. The contact restarted the vehicle to correct the failure. After restarting the vehicle, "service vehicle" was displayed across the message board. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the computer needed to be reset. The vehicle was repaired. The VIN was excluded from NHTSA campaign number: 15V340000 (steering). The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 59,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Santa Rosa, CA, USA

Aug 172016

The power steering column went out when attempting to pull out of driveway. When I started the car and put the car into reverse I immediately had an alert on the dash that stated "power steering assist failed" then flashed to "service autotrac". those warnings kept flashing and I had no power steering while attempting to drive my car 4 miles to the dealership for a diagnostic test. I was informed the power steering was non-repairable and must be replaced. The repair cost me approximately $2000 and despite being a single mother I did not have my car for three days.

- Bowling Green, KY, USA

Jun 052016

The power steering on my 2010 Ford Fusion went out while my husband was driving. My husband was on his way home from work when the power steering completely stopped working causing him to almost crash into a car when he was attemping to turn.

- Jonesboro, GA, USA

Jan 042016

Power steering goes in and out power steering gear bad due to internal friction in motor. Sensor code comes on to fix asap took to dealer will not honor recall because not right year. Recall for 2011 not 2010 this problem needs to be recalled for all years having problem around those dates. Vehicle was in motion when this problem started was lucky I was not on the high way I was able to pull into a parking lot and had to have towed home.

- Belleville, MI, USA

Jan 012015

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that the steering wheel failed while driving in reverse. The driver was able to restart the engine and regain normal steering function. The failure was experienced several times. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic for diagnostic testing, but was unable to locate a failure code. The manufacturer was notified. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 114,000.

- Springfield, VA, USA

Aug 142016

Started the car this morning and a message popped up saying power steering assist fault tried to move the car but could not move the wheels. The car can only go straight. So I turned the car off and back on and it seemed to fix. Glad I was not driving the car.

- Currie, NC, USA

Aug 122016

I was pulling out of the bank drive thru and power steering quit working at all while I was turning onto the street.

- Meadville, PA, USA