Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: Ford significantly updated the Fusion for the 2010 model year. We wish they hadn't

2010 Ford Fusion steering problems

2010 Ford Fusion Owner Comments (Page 21 of 27)

Sep 042014

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds, the power steering warning light illuminated and the steering wheel was difficult to turn causing the contact to apply excessive force in order to control the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to a dealer, who diagnosed that the electric motor and the rack and pinion needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 28,540.

- Kenton, MI, USA

Aug 192014

Fusion 6-cyl

I was driving to work, I live less than 5 miles away from my work, and I noticed the low pressure light came on, I went on to work where I discovered my tire picked up a nail. I changed the tire during a lunch break and during that break as I drove back to work, the service power steering now notification came on and then the advance track light came on. Immediately the steering wheel locked up and was hard to turn left or right. I feel this electronic power steering failure is a faulty part. Diagnosis from Ford states I need to replace the part due to (friction elements detected by the control module) ($1700) I feel stuck in what to do as I feel nothing was wrong ever with my power steering until the low pressure light appeared. Ford needs to recall this as its dangerous and expensive to repair.

- Orlando, FL, USA

Aug 192014

Fusion 4-cyl

While driving back home to cincinnati, Ohio from lexington, Kentucky at approximately 60 mph, my steering wheel stiffened up. I am a small frame woman and it was almost unreal for me to guide myself to safety. I frantically jumped out of my car because I saw my whole life flash before my eyes. I called a friend of mines who came to get me and my car and took it to a repair shop. They quoted a price of $2200 for rack and pinion. A four year old car should not be costing me this amount of money so soon especially after reading these forums and seeing that this has been a problem for a while. Why hasn't a recall been made for this deadly, life-threatening problem" I have a five year old daughter. What if she was in the car with me"!!! thank god she wasn't.

- Cincinnati, OH, USA

Aug 142014

The car ran ok this morning. I drove for about 10 minutes without issues. Then I saw a message indicating "service advancetrac" on the console and it went off by itself a few seconds later. The same indicator came back again and stayed on for some time. I reset the indicator and kept driving. I did not notice any issues with driving then. About 20 minutes later, the console read "power steering assist fault" and right away the steering got very tight. Steering was ok until then. I do not recall the "power steering assist fault" indicator going off with a turn as such. It was on a straight road. I pulled over and killed the engine power, opened the door and started the engine up again in about 5 seconds. The indicator was gone and the steering was normal. I started driving and when I made a left turn, the indicator came back again and steering felt very stiff. When the steering gets stiff, it is very difficult to turn and needs a lot of manual force to make any turns or make small changes.

- Canton, MI, USA

Aug 082014

Fusion 4-cyl

Electronic power steering failure; never worked again. The car makes a loud popping/ clicking when turning sharply at lower speeds, especially when turning right.

- Commerce Township, MI, USA

May 292013

Fusion 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Fusion. While driving approximately 55 mph, the steering seized and the engine warning indicator illuminated. The vehicle was towed to a dealer and the power steering motor was replaced. One year later, the failure recurred. The dealer was currently repairing the vehicle. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 19,000. Updated 10/7/14 updated 3/25/2015

- Harper Wood, MI, USA

Aug 072014

Power steering assist problem began to display, stopped for fuel and the car became almost impossible to steer... Ford "baugh" dealership in clanton, al interpreted that the power steering module was completely out and the steering assist failed.

- Columbus, MS, USA

Nov 072013

I was driving home and the doing about 45 mph on the express way approaching the exit ramp the power steering just went out.

- Detroit, MI, USA

Jun 012012

I was driving at speeds around 45 when the "advance track" warning appeared, at which time I lost power steering, the day I bought the car used. It's happened a total of around10 times while driving. Once while I was traveling at highway speeds. If the car was turned off then back on, it would clear the fault out. Since this has happened, the car has suffered a complete loss of power steering. When I took the car to the dealer prior to the complete loss of power steering, they told me that they couldn't replicate the issue, there for couldn't fix anything under warranty. I haven't taken the car in for repair now because there should be a recall and now it's no longer covered under warranty. So many people are having the same issue, it seems to be a problem with the Fusion. It's dangers because it happens unexpectedly and sometimes while in the middle of a turn, like what has happened to me twice out of the 10 times. I feel that the fact that I'm a commercial driver only helped me to know what to do. Not everyone has the skills that I do, so if this happened to my mother-in-law, it would most likely result in a crash.

- Riverview, MI, USA

Aug 022014

Fusion 6-cyl

Complete loss of power steering. Not safe!

- Lehigh Acres, FL, USA

Jul 292014

Fusion 4-cyl

Received "power steering assist failure" intermittent warings last month (June) when starting car. Took car to dealership, diagnostics /troubleshooting failed to identify problem. Problem was consistently cleared by turning off engine and restarting. On 28 July, power steering was lost completely during engine start and successive restarts failed to clear the "power steering assist failure" fault. Also received "service advance trac" warning. Car was towed to dealership. Diagnostics determined the electronic steering rack needed to be replaced. Repair estimate is $2000! had car for less than three years and car only had 78,000 on it. (Ford certified pre-owned model.) very disappointed with this car. Worst Ford car I've owned. Cursory web searches on this power steering problem reveals a myriad of occurrences for the 2010 Fusion. This sudden loss of power steering represents a serious safety issue. It's just a matter of time before this results in fatalities. NHTSA website currently indicates 120 complaints regarding the power steering failure on the 2010 Ford Fusion (more than 10% of all the complaints against the car). Why hasn't there been a recall or tsb issued for this problem? Ford experienced a similar problem with the electronic power steering in the escape and recalled over 1 million cars in May.

- Virginia Beach, VA, USA

Jul 012014

Fusion 4-cyl

I was driving to work, on a straight stretch of road at about 25 miles an hour, when a "service advanctrac" warning light came on, as well as a power steering fault. I lost power steering at that point. Luckily I was able to pull over into a parking lot, and then I drove home with my hazard lights on. The car was out of warranty so we took it to a local shop, who looked at the codes and the car and diagnosed it as a faulty rack and pinion. They replaced that (at a cost of $1500) and the power steering now works again, but I am not comfortable driving it any longer. What if this happens again while I am turning or merging onto a freeway? scary, scary thought. This needs to be addressed by Ford and a recall made.

- Commerce, MI, USA

May 072013

Fusion 4-cyl

I was driving on a state road at a rate of approximately 55 mph, as I was slowing down to enter an exit the power steering failed and I almost crashed into the cement barrier as the steering wheel locked up and was extremely difficult to turn.

- New Castle, DE, USA

Jul 212014

Fusion 4-cyl

Power steering suddenly failed with no prior warning while in reverse. Electronic power steering rack failed after only 80K miles on car. Purchased new from Ford dealer. 2nd major issue with this car. The first was the electronic throttle body. This year and model have so many issues. Just a quick google search will tell you that.

- Yonkers, NY, USA

Jun 052014

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that while driving 60 mph, the power steering assist warning light illuminated and lost power steering. The vehicle was able to restart an hour later and resumed to normal. The contact mentioned that the failure occurred on three different occasions. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 52,000 and the current mileage was 52,800.

- Varnville, SC, USA

Jul 112014

I was driving on a major road when the power steering maintenance light came on followed by the ad track maintenance alert. I pulled into a gas station and turned off the car for about 3 min. When I turned the car back on the light changed to power steering maintenance now and I no longer had any power steering. I was not able to to drive my car so my husband had to pick me up and drive it home. I read that there are many problems with this system, but I never received a notice for recall.

- Dearborn Heights, MI, USA

Jul 022014

On the home I was turning onto my neighborhood street, and at a sudden it became difficult to turn. I had to force my steering wheel to the right and come to a dramatic stop to keep from going into the house on the corner. This is an on going problem and I have called the dealership to complain and was told to bring the car in, but because I don't have that $100 fee for them to diagnose my vehicle I had no choice but to turn away. My steering wheel has lost power countless of times and my life is in danger. This is my only means of transportation and I cant afford to purchase another vehicle at the time....please please!!!! help I don't want to die or be seriously hurt!!

- Memphis, TN, USA

Jun 182014

Fusion 6-cyl

The steering issue on the car happened only two weeks after I purchased the vehicle. Car became very difficult to steer, thought perhaps for some reason there was no fluid in it. Cam to learn that this car does not use a power steering pump, rather it has an electric motor that assists the steering. After doing some searches, I found out that several people have had this issue. Contacted the dealer and was told to bring it in to have it checked out, came to learn that the power steering rack had to be replaced to the cost of 1500.00... I am beside myself as I just bought the car!!! this is a recall item, based on all the reports of people having this same issue, Ford needs to step up to the plate here and realize they have a problem and bad design to get these components replaced out on these cars before someone seriously gets injured. The car is almost impossible to steer when this goes out and if someone like an older person or younger inexperienced driver runs into this situation the problem is going to cause serious injury... the failure happens without any indications. Ford recall the part and fix these cars!!!

- Geneva, IL, USA

Jun 212014

Fusion 4-cyl

I was driving 45mph then suddenly my steering wheel started going all over car lost control and steering was uncontrollable and really hard. I had to drive really slow to get back home.

- Edinburg , TX, USA

Jun 182014

While driving at approximately 25 mph, I lost steering. I received a dash warning that I have a power steering assist issue and it needs to be serviced. I luckily made it to the side of the road, turned the engine off and back on and I appeared to have my steering back. I drove home and my husband followed me to the dealership. The dealership looked at it, pulled some codes but they couldn't duplicate the problem. I was told that if it happened again, I would need to "manhandle it" to get it to the side of the road and bring it back to the dealership. I have had the same issue twice today, June 21, 2014. It is as though my steering wheel is locked; it is very difficult to manhandle a locked steering wheel. We researched Ford Fusion issues and this steering issue seems to be quite common. Steering is pretty important: Please investigate this issue before someone gets hurt, or worse.

- Hillsboro, OR, USA