2010 Ford Fusion steering problems

2010 Ford Fusion Owner Comments (Page 24 of 29)

Mar 072014

Fusion

Started my car and everything was fine, within 45 seconds of driving my dash said service power steering now and then service advancetrac, with the advancetrac light coming on. As soon as this happened my power steering was completely gone and I could hardly turn. It has never worked since and whenever I start the car it says service power steering now shortly followed by service advancetrac.

- Trenton, MI, USA

Mar 162014

Fusion

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Fusion. The contact stated while driving approximately 35 mph, the steering wheel became difficult to maneuver. There was a sudden loss of power steering with the illumination of the warning indicator. The vehicle was driven to the side of the road where the engine was turned off. Upon restarting, the vehicle resumed with the steering wheel malfunction. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer and an unknown repair was performed. The failure persisted. The vehicle had not been repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 48,382. The VIN was unavailable.

- Detroit, MI, USA

Mar 032014

Fusion 6-cyl

I was driving home from work on the interstate when the car became hard to steer. I pulled off the road turned the car off. When I turned the car back on it was fine and I went on home. The next day when I started the car there was a power steering assist failure. I took the car to the Ford dealer. They said the steering gear was going out and would cost $1600 to repair. Since my 2010 Ford Fusion had only 43000 miles on it, I called Ford. They said they couldn't help me.

- Huntington, WV, USA

Mar 122014

Fusion 4-cyl

While driving on road at 50 mph the car suddenly alarmed "service advancetrac" and "service power steering now." My steering wheel locked on me. Thank god it didn't cause an accident. I see on this website and the internet there are multiple complaints about this but no recalls. This is very expensive to fix!!!!I why no recalls yet?

- Hampshire, IL, USA

Mar 082014

Fusion 4-cyl

Service advancetrac fault displayed service power steering now displayed then powering steering turned off and then vehicle was very hard to steer epas is now not working dealer stated this was the reason why power steering is off.

- Evansdale, IA, USA

Jan 012014

Fusion 4-cyl

From the time of starting the vehicle up to approx 5 - 10 minutes there is no power steering in my car. I can be going any speed and it doesn't work.

- Danville, PA, USA

Mar 032014

Fusion 6-cyl

Twice in parking lot message appeared -power steering assist fault. At first appeared to be power (battery) related, because the car was in park and when I turned car off then on again message is gone, car was driving fine. - about an hour later, same message appeared and power steering no longer works. Turning on and off no longer correcting the problem. This is the second potentially very dangerous problem I have had with this car in the last 6 months.

- Chico, CA, USA

Mar 012014

Fusion 4-cyl

I was driving my 2010 Ford Fusion on a dry level street and suddenly the service power steering now and advance trac failure displayed on my radio. It is estimated to cost $1200 to fix this and I have seen approximately 25% of the complaints about Ford Fusion involve this issue. Please help us there is an obvious fault from Ford.

- Colona, IL, USA

Feb 272013

Fusion

While driving home on highway at 50 mph the car suddenly alarmed service advancetrac and power steering now. My steering wheel locked on me. Thank god it didn't cause an accident. I called a Ford dealer they suggested I pull over try turning the car off and starting it again to see if message would disappear it didn't. they told me I would have to bring it in to be serviced. Just for them to look at it it's $130. When I looked on internet I seen that there has been multiple complaints about this but no recalls. I also seen that it is very costly and the problem recurs. Why no recalls yet?

- Maple Heights, OH, USA

Feb 262014

Fusion

My wife was driving to a appointment and about 2 miles away from the house, the advance trac light came on then the car steering locked up and the car lost control, she was able to pull up against the side walk safe, but it scared her really bad thinking it was going to be a serious and that her and the baby she carrying would be hurt, why is their not a recall on this problem, so many people has had the same problem with the Ford Fusion it should be.

- Baltimore, MD, USA

Feb 012014

Fusion

Turning corner with children present, service advance trac & service power steering light came on and lost power steering. Very very dangerous situation. Should be a recall on steering gear 2010-2012 Fusion models. Electric sealed unit too costly to keep repairing. Faulty and dangerous. Could have been fatal.

- Noblesville, IN, USA

Dec 162013

Fusion 6-cyl

Every time engine starts, Ford Fusion dash displays two (2) fault codes: Cross traffic system fault, and check rear park aid. Both fault alerts clear after pressing controls on the steering wheel. However, both, the rear park aid, and the cross traffic system stopped working. Each provides unique audible buzzing alerts when auto is in reverse to warn of an impending crash/contact with a person or object. Two safety system features that no longer worked. The 2010 Ford Fusion was out of warranty, (4 years old, less than 8,500 miles on odometer) so I had to pay the dealership about $150 to diagnose the problem. The dealership diagnosed the problem as a broken, and non-working speaker in the top of the rear seat. The cost to replace this speaker would be approximately, $350, and there would be no guarantee that this will fix the 2 problems, although the mechanic said he was 98% sure the diagnostic was correct. Ford Motor Company offered to pay $200 toward the repair. Result: Two safety systems are now working, but I had to pay $300 of the $500 cost to diagnose and repair these safety system features. A speaker in the top of the rear seat¿ is a part of an auto that an owner expects would last for the life of the auto, and certainly more than 8,500 miles on an odometer. Since this speaker is an integral part of both safety systems, not subject to any wear and tear, its failure to work/operate as designed is an obvious design or product fault, and something that Ford motor should repair at its expense.

- Fort Lauderdale, FL, USA

Jan 312013

Fusion

Driving home from work on the expressway at 65 mph when suddenly the service power steering now alert came on. Lost all power steering and had to pull off the expressway. Car had to be towed as steering wheel was locked in position. Ford dealer tells me had complete power steering failure. This is a very dangerous problem and due to the number of complaints filed, I can't believe there has not been a recall on this.

- Clinton, TN, USA

Fusion 4-cyl

Power steering completely failed and service power steering now came on the dash warning. Later service advancetrac also came on dash warning. Steering very difficult at slow speeds. Likely too difficult for small person to negotiate a parking lot. Car has electric power steering and entire steering rack must be replaced as the failed sensor is not serviceable from actual rack and pinion. Cost of part Ford part ste27 is $1186.74 plus labor. If part failed in a turn when driver assumes easy steering I could see a problem occurring.

- Glendive, MT, USA

Feb 012014

Fusion 4-cyl

I turned right out of a parking lot onto the highway traveling at 35 mph when the "power steering fault" light came on the steering felt heaver than usual I drove about 7 miles than parked car. When I restarted the car after 2 hours the information panel said "service power steering now" and "service advancetrac" and the power assist was off extremely difficult to steer. Could be extremely dangerous if this was to happen in a parking lot with people around.

- Myrtle Beach, SC, USA

Jan 242014

Fusion 4-cyl

I have just had this fixed 2 weeks ago for the same problem. January 24, 2013 my power steering and advance trac light came on again. I took it to the mechanics today and they tell me that the tires may need to be replaced and I have even done 60,000 miles on the tires-yet they are worn out already. I knew I needed tires, my inspection is due next month. I have only had this car for 3 years and I am already having problems with it. I'm angry! I thought Ford were better built now-A-days. Wrong............I'm so disappointed with this car. Fairly new and having what I consider major problem.

- Rochester, NY, USA

Fusion

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that while driving a 35 mph, the power steering system malfunctioned. The contact stated steering wheel was very difficult to control. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 80,000.

- Elsmere , KY, USA

Fusion 4-cyl

There was a flat tire on the vehicle causing the eps (electronic power steering) to have a problem. When the tire was aired up, the error on the power steering did not go away. I have read from many online websites and resources that this is a very common problem. Dealerships act like they have never heard about it, but if you type in the year make and model and steering, it pulls many pages of the exact problem. I have been reading reports from these sites and they all say it is something else wrong with it and all the dealerships replace something different just to make money. I have talked to many mechanics that are not associated with Ford and if the code is cleared from the computer, or reset so to speak, the problem is erased but the dealerships don't want to do that because that is how they make money.

- Hot Springs , AR, USA

Dec 112013

Fusion

2010 Ford Fusion sel V6 entered vehicle for errand. Vehicle started normally, however after short distance power steering almost locked up, info on dash stated service power steering and advance trak systems now. Have replaced power steering rack with new Ford parts. First one lasted four weeks then trouble message on dash activated. Vehicle still drove normally. Upon parking and restarting steering was almost locked up again. Replaced rack second time. Vehicle drove normally for two weeks then system acted as it had before the first rack was replaced. Currently vehicle is steerable for very strong person but average could not steer vehicle. This issue, would without doubt lead to crash and injury were it to occur while on highway.

- Sherman, TX, USA

Dec 072013

Fusion 4-cyl

In the middle of driving approx 25mph, service advancetrac light came on and then off very quickly, thought maybe it was an electrical glitch. Arrived at destination 5 minutes later and shut off car. A half an hour later, went to turn on car and the service advancetrac/service power steering now lights were on. When I tried to drive the car to the nearest gas station, the car would barely move at all let alone turn. Had to put hazards on and continue driving while almost hitting about 5 cars due to no power steering. Extremely dangerous and extremely costly problem. After having this happen to me I have been researching and very many cases of this occurred, I am very shocked that Ford has not issued a recall for the 2010 Fusion.

- Clinton, CT, USA