2010 Ford Fusion steering problems

2010 Ford Fusion Owner Comments (Page 24 of 30)

Sep 142014

Fusion 4-cyl

Once the car was started a message came on stating power steering needs service and could not turn the steering wheel. Also a message about something trac appeared as well. Dealer states the steering rack must be replaced at $1800 dollars.

- Goshen, OH, USA

Sep 142014

Fusion

I'm extremely concerned about the power steering failure that just occurred. The vehicle only has 70,000 miles on it and is regularly maintained by the Ford dealership. I was taking my daughter out to drive for her first time and had this failure occurred while she was behind the wheel I'm not sure what would have happened. Luckily it was me behind the wheel first otherwise this could have ended tragically. This also appears to be a problem that a number of other Ford Fusion owners have experienced and a recognized problem in other models that Ford has already recalled. Please do something before someone is hurt or killed.

- Cincinnati, OH, USA

Sep 102014

Fusion

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Fusion. While driving 55 mph, the steering wheel seized and required the contact to use excessive force to maneuver. The power steering indicator illuminated during the failure. The vehicle was towed to the contact's residence and was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified. The failure mileage was 85,000.

- Canton, MA, USA

Aug 152014

Fusion

Just purchased used 2010 Ford Fusion SE (6cyl). After 2 days of driving, was on the interstate driving approximately 75 mph and the advance trac light came on. I noticed the power steering was getting stiff. Shortly after a "service power steering" message appeared and it was extremely difficult for me to control my vehicle. I was able to safely pull off to an exit and turned off the vehicle. After about a minute, I turned the vehicle back on.the advance trac light sensor was off but the message appears "service power steering now". the steering wheel was completely locked up and I was unable to drive the vehicle. The dealer I bought this vehicle from towed the vehicle back to their lot and had the problem diagnosed. They were told by Ford that the electric power steering had to be "reset". they "reset" the power steering, the message was cleared and the steering was good. After 2 weeks of driving, again I was on the same interstate going 75 mph and the advance trac light appeared with the message "service power steering." Luckily, I was near an exit and was able to safely park my vehicle at a gas station. The dealer again towed the vehicle back to their shop and is waiting to figure out what to do. I find this extremely dangerous and I'm surprised that a recall hasn't been made for this issue on the Ford Fusion.if you google the problem, you will see multiple forums with people complaining of same issue but all the repairs were different on their Ford Fusion. Either the module was replaced or the power steering rack and pinion was replaced. Of course, none are within warranty and were pretty costly.I saw that a massive recall has been made for this issue in the Ford escapes. I'm not sure if Ford is waiting for multiple fatalities to occur before they address this issue. I hope my complaint helps.please Ford... issue recall for the Ford Fusion power steering!

- York, SC, USA

Sep 072014

Fusion 4-cyl

While driving under normal conditions, the power steering system suddenly failed. Messages stating "service power steering now" and "service advancetrac" as well. Great difficulty turning on the windy road with four kids in car. Found numerous complaints online. See other Ford vehicles were recalled for same problem. Why not Fusion?

- Goodlettsville, TN, USA

Sep 052014

Fusion 4-cyl

Was driving to work when the power steering failed on a side street with no warning. I could not turn the vehicle and almost hit another vehicle as I was turning into my workplace. The warning on the dash monitor advised "service power steering soon" and "service advancetrac soon". vehicle acted normal upon restart at the end of the day then on my home did it again on a very curvy mountain road. I was barely able to maintain lane control and get off the road. Upon research of the issue it has been confirmed that Ford has had thousands of complaints of this issue and no recall has been issued for Fusion yet the exact same all electric steering is used in other models that are recalled due to extremely dangerous driving issues. A Ford service manager explained to me that system could completely fail at any moment causing a complete loss of steering and I needed to park the vehicle until repaired. He also advised they see it a lot and the repair could cost about $2000. My car is only 4 years old with 136,000 miles on it.

- Lenoir , NC, USA

Sep 042014

Fusion

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds, the power steering warning light illuminated and the steering wheel was difficult to turn causing the contact to apply excessive force in order to control the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to a dealer, who diagnosed that the electric motor and the rack and pinion needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 28,540.

- Kenton, MI, USA

Aug 192014

Fusion 6-cyl

I was driving to work, I live less than 5 miles away from my work, and I noticed the low pressure light came on, I went on to work where I discovered my tire picked up a nail. I changed the tire during a lunch break and during that break as I drove back to work, the service power steering now notification came on and then the advance track light came on. Immediately the steering wheel locked up and was hard to turn left or right. I feel this electronic power steering failure is a faulty part. Diagnosis from Ford states I need to replace the part due to (friction elements detected by the control module) ($1700) I feel stuck in what to do as I feel nothing was wrong ever with my power steering until the low pressure light appeared. Ford needs to recall this as its dangerous and expensive to repair.

- Orlando, FL, USA

Aug 192014

Fusion 4-cyl

While driving back home to cincinnati, Ohio from lexington, Kentucky at approximately 60 mph, my steering wheel stiffened up. I am a small frame woman and it was almost unreal for me to guide myself to safety. I frantically jumped out of my car because I saw my whole life flash before my eyes. I called a friend of mines who came to get me and my car and took it to a repair shop. They quoted a price of $2200 for rack and pinion. A four year old car should not be costing me this amount of money so soon especially after reading these forums and seeing that this has been a problem for a while. Why hasn't a recall been made for this deadly, life-threatening problem" I have a five year old daughter. What if she was in the car with me"!!! thank god she wasn't.

- Cincinnati, OH, USA

Aug 142014

Fusion

The car ran ok this morning. I drove for about 10 minutes without issues. Then I saw a message indicating "service advancetrac" on the console and it went off by itself a few seconds later. The same indicator came back again and stayed on for some time. I reset the indicator and kept driving. I did not notice any issues with driving then. About 20 minutes later, the console read "power steering assist fault" and right away the steering got very tight. Steering was ok until then. I do not recall the "power steering assist fault" indicator going off with a turn as such. It was on a straight road. I pulled over and killed the engine power, opened the door and started the engine up again in about 5 seconds. The indicator was gone and the steering was normal. I started driving and when I made a left turn, the indicator came back again and steering felt very stiff. When the steering gets stiff, it is very difficult to turn and needs a lot of manual force to make any turns or make small changes.

- Canton, MI, USA

Aug 082014

Fusion 4-cyl

Electronic power steering failure; never worked again. The car makes a loud popping/ clicking when turning sharply at lower speeds, especially when turning right.

- Commerce Township, MI, USA

May 292013

Fusion 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Fusion. While driving approximately 55 mph, the steering seized and the engine warning indicator illuminated. The vehicle was towed to a dealer and the power steering motor was replaced. One year later, the failure recurred. The dealer was currently repairing the vehicle. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 19,000. Updated 10/7/14 updated 3/25/2015

- Harper Wood, MI, USA

Aug 072014

Fusion

Power steering assist problem began to display, stopped for fuel and the car became almost impossible to steer... Ford "baugh" dealership in clanton, al interpreted that the power steering module was completely out and the steering assist failed.

- Columbus, MS, USA

Nov 072013

Fusion

I was driving home and the doing about 45 mph on the express way approaching the exit ramp the power steering just went out.

- Detroit, MI, USA

Jun 012012

Fusion

I was driving at speeds around 45 when the "advance track" warning appeared, at which time I lost power steering, the day I bought the car used. It's happened a total of around10 times while driving. Once while I was traveling at highway speeds. If the car was turned off then back on, it would clear the fault out. Since this has happened, the car has suffered a complete loss of power steering. When I took the car to the dealer prior to the complete loss of power steering, they told me that they couldn't replicate the issue, there for couldn't fix anything under warranty. I haven't taken the car in for repair now because there should be a recall and now it's no longer covered under warranty. So many people are having the same issue, it seems to be a problem with the Fusion. It's dangers because it happens unexpectedly and sometimes while in the middle of a turn, like what has happened to me twice out of the 10 times. I feel that the fact that I'm a commercial driver only helped me to know what to do. Not everyone has the skills that I do, so if this happened to my mother-in-law, it would most likely result in a crash.

- Riverview, MI, USA

Aug 022014

Fusion 6-cyl

Complete loss of power steering. Not safe!

- Lehigh Acres, FL, USA

Jul 292014

Fusion 4-cyl

Received "power steering assist failure" intermittent warings last month (June) when starting car. Took car to dealership, diagnostics /troubleshooting failed to identify problem. Problem was consistently cleared by turning off engine and restarting. On 28 July, power steering was lost completely during engine start and successive restarts failed to clear the "power steering assist failure" fault. Also received "service advance trac" warning. Car was towed to dealership. Diagnostics determined the electronic steering rack needed to be replaced. Repair estimate is $2000! had car for less than three years and car only had 78,000 on it. (Ford certified pre-owned model.) very disappointed with this car. Worst Ford car I've owned. Cursory web searches on this power steering problem reveals a myriad of occurrences for the 2010 Fusion. This sudden loss of power steering represents a serious safety issue. It's just a matter of time before this results in fatalities. NHTSA website currently indicates 120 complaints regarding the power steering failure on the 2010 Ford Fusion (more than 10% of all the complaints against the car). Why hasn't there been a recall or tsb issued for this problem? Ford experienced a similar problem with the electronic power steering in the escape and recalled over 1 million cars in May.

- Virginia Beach, VA, USA

Jul 012014

Fusion 4-cyl

I was driving to work, on a straight stretch of road at about 25 miles an hour, when a "service advanctrac" warning light came on, as well as a power steering fault. I lost power steering at that point. Luckily I was able to pull over into a parking lot, and then I drove home with my hazard lights on. The car was out of warranty so we took it to a local shop, who looked at the codes and the car and diagnosed it as a faulty rack and pinion. They replaced that (at a cost of $1500) and the power steering now works again, but I am not comfortable driving it any longer. What if this happens again while I am turning or merging onto a freeway? scary, scary thought. This needs to be addressed by Ford and a recall made.

- Commerce, MI, USA

May 072013

Fusion 4-cyl

I was driving on a state road at a rate of approximately 55 mph, as I was slowing down to enter an exit the power steering failed and I almost crashed into the cement barrier as the steering wheel locked up and was extremely difficult to turn.

- New Castle, DE, USA

Jul 212014

Fusion 4-cyl

Power steering suddenly failed with no prior warning while in reverse. Electronic power steering rack failed after only 80K miles on car. Purchased new from Ford dealer. 2nd major issue with this car. The first was the electronic throttle body. This year and model have so many issues. Just a quick google search will tell you that.

- Yonkers, NY, USA