2010 Ford Fusion steering problems

2010 Ford Fusion Owner Comments (Page 26 of 29)

Dec 222013

Fusion 4-cyl

Upon driving down a busy road, out of no where I lost my power steering, almost colliding into a post, and got a notification that my ESC failed right afterwards. The steering is now really stiff and requires a lot of force to turn. I tried searching the reason why this happens online and found a ton of similar if not the exact same situation as mine. This is unsafe!!

- Deer Park, NY, USA

Dec 152013

Fusion 4-cyl

I just purchased my 2010 Ford Fusion on August 1, 2013. I believed that I was purchasing a great car, however, slowly but surely I am learning that my 2010 Ford Fusion has issues along with a number of other Ford Fusion sold in the states. On Sunday, December 15, 2013, I experienced a flat tire. Luckily, a gas station was literally on the corner, I pulled into the station and filled the flat tire with the appropriate amount of air. I got back in my car, started it and proceeded to back out, my multi-function display begin to flash "service power steering now", "advance trac", I had no idea what this meant until I began to turn the steering wheel.... it was extremely difficult to do so. However, I had no choice but to try and steer it. I made it back home safely and accident free running to the computer to research this since the Ford dealership was closed. I "googled" power steering failure on 2010 Ford Fusion and there appeared a number of complaints from Fusion owners. I thought that maybe this was a good thing... perhaps there was a recall on my vehicle and this would be a quick fix or repair by a Ford service department. I contacted the Ford service department to inquire about this issue and to see if there's a recall and a representative confirmed that there is absolutely no recall on my vehicle. I grew increasingly frustrated because after reading all the complaints I couldn't fathom how no one had researched this issue and deemed it a repair/recall that Ford should take care of. I am now subject to a $116 diagnostic charge by the Ford service department although the car is already stating what the issue is, and I will still have to come out of pocket for the repair, god only knows how much that'll be. I surely hope that someone can add some insight to this issue and hazard.

- Waldorf, MD, USA

Dec 132013

Fusion 4-cyl

The service power steering and service advancetrac warning lights appeared and suddenly the power steering was lost. My daughter was driving the vehicle at the time and could not control the steering. This created a sudden emergency and dangerous situation. I've noted several complaints about this in researching solution to problem, most suggest several thousand $$ for repairs.

- Leakesville, MS, USA

Dec 062013

Fusion 4-cyl

After getting gas my wife and I pulled out into traffic and mid turn the power steering went out. No warning stuck right in the lane of on coming traffic.

- Baltimore, MD, USA

Dec 092013

Fusion

Power steering failure while driving. Ford advanctrak AWD failure. Total loss of stability/traction control, ABS, and steering.

- Clarkston, WA, USA

Dec 102013

Fusion 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that while driving 45 mph, the steering wheel became difficult to turn without warning. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified. The approximate failure mileage was 126,459.

- Baytown, TX, USA

Nov 192013

Fusion

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Fusion. The contact stated he was driving 55 mph when the power steering assist malfunctioned. The contact took the vehicle to the dealer and was informed that the electronic power steering gear needed to be replaced. The contact stated the defect was not remedied. The contact called the manufacturer and was informed that the vehicle was not recalled. The vehicle mileage was 43,850.

- Spencer, WV, USA

Nov 112013

Fusion

Steering dash light came on. When the vehicle was shut off the power steering assist was not working on re-start. The steering gear box was replaced and the problem happened again. The car is showing codes for transmission and anti-lock brake components. When the codes are cleared the steering is ok for a while.

- Wayland, NY, USA

Nov 092013

Fusion 6-cyl

I was driving at approximately 40mph when a "service power steering now" and "service advancetrac" message came up. At this point, it became difficult to steer. I then parked my vehicle, turned the car off, and back on. The message was still there. I took it to the dealership and they mentioned the power steering rack needed to be replaced. The cost (parts and labor) is $1,830.73. This an absurd cost that I have to incur because I noticed many people have experienced something familiar. In many cases, it seems as though the service message went away when the car was restarted making it seem like a sensor issue; however, in my case, I'm being told that the rack needs to be replaced.

- Canton, MI, USA

Nov 082013

Fusion

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that while traveling approximately 70 mph, the power steering warning light illuminated as the vehicle became extremely difficult to steer. The vehicle was towed to the dealer where it was found that the steering rack needed to be replaced. The vehicle was being repaired. The manufacturer was not contacted about the failure. The failure mileage was 76,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Fort Brag, NC, USA

Oct 242013

Fusion 6-cyl

Started car and shifted to drive then it chimed and advancetrac service light and powersteering failure light came on. Had to turn key off and restart to get it off display.

- Monrovia, IN, USA

Oct 032013

Fusion 4-cyl

While driving in residential neighborhood I got a warning chime with a message: Power steering failure - service advancetrak. The car becomes very difficult to steer!!! tried to shut down and restart car. Will not reset. This happened about a year ago. Ford dealer found nothing wrong, just cleared the code and it worked as normal. Very dangerous issue!! I have been letting my daughter, who is a new driver, use this car. I am now rethinking it, might have to sell the car and buy a safer car for her.

- Pensacola, FL, USA

Sep 202013

Fusion 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that while driving 65 mph, the power steering warning light illuminated as the steering wheel became extremely loose, making it difficult to control the vehicle. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The failure and current mileage was 56,000. Updated 10/29/13 the consumer stated the warning light for the throttle body illuminated. The throttle body was repaired but the failure recurred. The air bag light illuminates periodically. Updated 10/30/2013

- Carthage, TX, USA

Sep 162013

Fusion

I was traveling approximately 45mph when the power steering service light came on and the wheel became difficult to turn. I had to move over onto the bike lane out of the way of oncoming traffic and came to a complete stop. I could not turn into a parking lot because the wheel was in the lock position. I then towed my vehicle to my house and called the dealership where it had been purchased. They looked up the VIN and stated that there had not been any recalls, but according to the internet several 2010-2012 Ford Fusion have had this problem.

- Corpus Christi, TX, USA

Sep 182013

Fusion 6-cyl

I recently purchased the vehicle used with 43,000 miles on it. In order to get the vehicle registered in my state I had to have an emissions test done. At some point during the test the vehicle's electronic power steering system detected a fault that disabled the power steering. When I got back in the car I had no power steering and the trip computer listed the following errors: "service power steering now" and "service advanced trac". I immediately took the car to the Ford dealer where they diagnosed the problem as being an internal electrical issue with the eps system. They stated this wasn't an issue that could be fixed other then replacing the whole power steering rack. The dealer is charging $1,854.52 for the job. I have looked up this issue online and it appears that many people have had this happen while driving. I wasn't driving the car at the time but the test did involve driving the car on a dynamometer up to speeds of around 60 mph. If the system failed then, it could have happened at anytime. I don't understand why the system shuts off automatically when it detects an issue. Driving the car, and suddenly loosing power steering is a scary concept. These systems seem to be unreliable and put the passengers and other vehicles at risk. When reading in the owners manual about these error codes it states that the system will shut off when it detects a fault. But this is not a "normal" problem for cars. With a hydraulic system this would never happen.

- Lakewood , CO, USA

Aug 092012

Fusion

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that while driving approximately 40 mph, there was a complete loss of engine power without warning. The vehicle was coasted to the side of the road where the engine was turned off. The engine was restarted after several attempts and the vehicle resumed normally. The failure recurred seven times. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. In addition, the rack and pinion failed. The vehicle was repaired by an independent mechanic. The manufacturer was not notified of the defect. The approximate failure mileage was 80,000. The VIN was not available.

- Charlotte, NC, USA

Apr 022012

Fusion 4-cyl

2nd time it happened: While driving, electrical power steering gear failed, steering was hard to turn, dealer reset the failure (power steering assist fault; service power steering now) and steering was working fine again. This is a serious safety issue and needs to be investigated. Thanks

- Terre Haute, IN, USA

Aug 312013

Fusion 6-cyl

Traveling down the street at about 25-30 mph when the car alerted us that there was a problem, messages read service power steering now & service advtrac. We pulled over at the next block into a parking lot, turned the car off & looked for the power steering reservoir. Found none, . turned the car back on and had no power steering.

- Findlay, IL, USA

Aug 292013

Fusion

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Fusion. The contact was driving 60 mph when the power steering failed. The vehicle was driven to the contact's residence and was not repaired or diagnosed. The manufacturer was not notified of the incident. The approximate failure mileage was 103056. The VIN was not available.

- Bayminndtte, AL, USA

Jun 112013

Fusion 4-cyl

Started indicated "power steering fault in parking lot. Power steering inoperative. Dash board. Shut down and restarted steering now fine.

- Salem, NH, USA