Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: Ford significantly updated the Fusion for the 2010 model year. We wish they hadn't

2010 Ford Fusion steering problems

2010 Ford Fusion Owner Comments (Page 26 of 27)

Apr 062013

Fusion 4-cyl

I was turning out of my street at approx. 5 mph in my 2010 Ford Fusion and heard a chime looked on dash and it read "advance trac needs service" also the lights for ABS, traction control and emergency brake were illuminated. The steering wheel got very stiff and I could not turn making me hit a concrete barrier. Car had no warning before steering went out. Please fix this problem I see it is very common for 2010-2012 Ford Fusion. Car is at dealership now and he thinks it may be the steering rack, which is extremely expensive to fix especially with 0 warranty which expired last December.

- Louisville, KY, USA

Mar 282013

Fusion 4-cyl

My car has been making a weird hum/grind/low pitched roar noise for quite some time now. I took it in, it will cost 1,800 dollars to replace my power steering rack. But- apparently you cant just buy the rack, you must buy the whole kit (motor, tie rods, rack, clamps, you name it). Because its been redesigned!...I wonder why. Yet there is no recall. Fyi- if I didn't fix, the power steering would have soon failed, leaving me stranded.

- Tulsa, OK, USA

Mar 222013

I was driving the vehicle in front of daughters school and bell went off and message displayed stating advanced trac power steering disabled. The power steering was gone, took it to the dealer they want $1800 for a new power steering rack plus labor. Seems to be a common occurrence among 2010 Fusion. We are exploring other options.

- Flanders, NY, USA

Mar 162013

Fusion 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that while driving 35 mph, the steering wheel became very hard to steer and the service power steering now warning message displayed on the instrument panel. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The technician diagnosed that the electric assist had burned out and as a result, the steering system needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure but did not offer any assistance since the vehicle was no longer under warranty. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileage was 58,500.

- Brunswick, OH, USA

Sep 072012

I was on the freeway when engine speed suddenly went to idle. I was in the middle lane and almost got into a crash trying to get to the road side. When I brought the car to the Ford dealer they said the throttle body was bad and it cost me $500 they said it was not covered under the power train warranty, go figure. Also the transmission does not down shift properly after heavy acceleration, they said it was normal. It's no wonder why people shy away from so called american cars, it will be my last.

- Lyndhurst, OH, USA

Jun 282012

I was driving on the highway at a steady speed when all of a sudden, the gas pedal stopped responding, almost as if I was in neutral. I was able to get over to the shoulder. It took a few tries of restarting the car in order to get it going. The same incident happened again the next week.

- Dunellen, NJ, USA

Jan 252013

Started driving to get home from work and suddenly the service advancetrac light came on, didn't notice anything until I did a turn. The steering felt stiff, not really paying attention to the problem got home shut off the car. The next morning heading to work turned on the car and then the service power steering now light had come on as well. After that the power steering was gone, I couldn't turn the wheels. Did some research and a lot of Fusion are having this problem and so far no results without spending thousands of dollars at the dealer.

- Mcallen , TX, USA

Dec 252012

Fusion 6-cyl

While my daughter was driving the car on 12/25/12, the steering wheel became stiff and warning light came on. On 12/29/12, went to check car and could not drive it at all. You could not turn the steering wheel. I had it towed to the dealership. The power steering rack had to be replaced. They said something was wrong with the wiring. I also saw online there were many complaints concerning the same issue. Because of this, it thought there could be a possible defect. The car is only three years old with low mileage. I mostly use the car to drive back and forth to work, which is 6 miles away. This could have been very dangerous, because you could not steer the car once the power steering went out.

- Parkville, MD, USA

Jan 122013

Fusion 4-cyl

We were three hours from home in the late afternoon when the power steering service soon light came on. We had one more stop to make so we did and tried to check the power steering fluid not knowing that this vehicle had electric assist steering. When we got back in the vehicle to go to the auto parts store and the alarm came on and the reading on the dash said power steering service now and the vehicle then was very hard to steer. After finally figuring out that we had the power assist steering and that there was nothing that we could do about it at that time. The salesperson told us that we could still drive it but it would be very difficult. We had no choice but to try to make it home and praise the lord we did get home safely. We took it to a mechanic and he said that the part to replace it would be around $1,000 not including labor. In doing research on the internet I found that this is a common complaint for this vehicle but that there is no recall as of yet for it. I would like to enter this complaint so that Ford will look into making this defect a recall and help the consumers that have purchased these vehicles. My husband and I bought this vehicle less that 6 months ago and we love it but this problem has really been a disappointment not to mention the financial hardship it has placed on us. Thank you for your time.

- Dearing, GA, USA

Oct 022012

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that while driving 40 mph, the power steering assist failed. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the steering computer module was reset. The contact also stated that the failure recurred several times. The manufacturer was notified of the failure and informed the contact that there was no recall on the vehicle. The failure mileage was 131,000 and the current mileage was 132,000.

- Athens, IL, USA

Dec 162012

Fusion 4-cyl

Driving at 30 mph, sliding car icon appeared and noticed a slight stiffness in steering. Made it home with no further issues. Next morning upon starting car, I had no power steering at all. Two days later, power steering has not returned, but the 'service power steering now' indicator light is on. Dealer is telling me no history of this type of incident. Although I have found it all over the internet with 2010, 2011. And 2012 Fusion and escapes. NHTSA, please help!

- Morro Bay, CA, USA

Oct 152012

Fusion 6-cyl

The vehicle lost power steering, traction control, and brakes upon entering the freeway on ramp. To stop the vehicle and endangering other drivers, I was forced to crash into the concrete wall barrier on the drivers side of the on ramp. There were no warning lights on the dashboard until after coming to a stop and the engine died. At that point the warning lights came on.

- Mountlake Terrace, WA, USA

Nov 252012

Driving along suddenly ding ding..service advanctrac and powersteering the display said and the steering becomes hard and pulls.

- Belnan, ME, USA

Oct 272012

Power steering intermittently goes out for no reason while driving, causing very unsafe situation. Dash warning says service advanctrac and service power steering now. Ford dealer resets the code and then it works fine again until the next time(this time a month later). Ford charges $100 to reset the code each time, then say they can't find a real problem. They suggest to replace a power steering unit for $1500, but they can't guarantee that it will fix the problem. When it happens, it is practically impossible to turn the wheel when car is sitting. Even at highway speeds, it is still very hard to turn. I won't let my wife drive this vehicle any longer. No advance warning when it happens. There is a lot of traffic online about this problem, but the Ford dealer says they have never seen or heard of this problem. The car is only 2 years old.

- Bergholz, OH, USA

Nov 082012

Power steering light came on as power steering was lost. Luckily I as able to pull over and park vehicle since I was only traveling 35 mph. However, this is a safety concern since there was basically no notice before losing all power steering.

- Sun Prairie, WI, USA

Jan 102010

Fusion 4-cyl

2010 Ford Fusion sel. Customer writes in regards to continued transmission problems. The consumer stated the transmission would slip harshly and hesitate on acceleration. The recall repair did not correct the transmission problems. It was determined that the valve body and solenoid body were defective. Also, one of the tires was leaking air, there was an issue with the traction and brakes. There were noises coming from the front of the vehicle. The steering wheel would not lock into place, the cd player did not work at times, the driver side visor did not stay in place, the gas over flow tube was inoperative, the vehicle would pull hard when the brake was applied. The rear driver's side door had to be slammed extremely hard, in order to close it. The driver's side seat belt was backwards. The passenger side windshield wiper dragged on the windshield and the vehicle would sometimes surge on its own. Each time the consumer went to the dealer about certain problems, she was told no problems were found.

- Sterling Heights, MI, USA

Nov 032012

Fusion 4-cyl

Was about to turn into a parking lot off a main road and lost all control of power steering and vehicle started dinging service power steering and advance track. Vehicle became very hard to turn, had someone been exiting the lot I probably would have hit them.

- Akron, NY, USA

Oct 282012

Fusion 4-cyl

When I started the car a new message stating "service power steering now and service advance autotrac" when I started the engine, a message stated "service power steering now and service advance autotrac" on dashboard. Electrical steering failed and it was hard to turn. Dealer can not fix it. Tried to restart but problem stays. This is a dangerous safety issue and must be investigated by Ford immediately.

- Terre Haute, IN, USA

Sep 062012

Fusion 6-cyl

I had not had any issues with my car, but I left my house to drive my daughter to tumbling which was 7 miles from my house. I was about 3 miles from my home when a warning sound and the lights on my dashboard stated check power steering. I assumed that I needed power steering. I arrived at tumbling, parked for an hour. When I started the car a new message was on the dash stating service power steering now and service advance autotrac. I put the car in reverse and backed up, but when I turned the steering wheel it was locked, I could barely move the wheel. I was blocking the traffic in the parking lot and had to pull forward and park. I turned the car off and on and received the same message. Therefore I was stranded in the parking lot. We took the car to a Ford service dept. They told us that this is an issue that they have been having with Ford Fusion as well as other Ford but there was no recall. I paid for them to perform a diagnostic test the results were that they would have to replace the steering panel for $1500 and the part was on back order, but first they reset the codes, and the power steering warning was gone the car test drove and drove home fine. The next morning I left to take my daughters to school and the same cycle of events happened I was afraid to turn the car off when I dropped them off at school so that I would not be stranded. I kept the car on and drove the car to the dealership where I purchased the car paid again for a test and was told the same thing. I told them to repair the car. I called Ford co. And they told me that they were not aware of this issue and although I saw numerous complaints on the internet they were not true. Meanwhile my car is ready and I have to come up with 1500 for an issue that Ford knows they are having problems with. I am afraid my car will have problems again, this is a safety issue when it comes to steering.

- Loganville, GA, USA

Oct 202012

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Fusion. The contact started the ignition and attempted to drive in reverese; however the steering wheel failed to turn. Immediately she noticed there was a complete loss of power steering with the illumination of the warning indicator. The vehicle was driven to an independent mechanic with the power steering malfunction. The mechanic recommended the vehicle be diagnosed by a dealer. The vehicle had not been repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 64,848.

- New Orleans, LA, USA