2010 Ford Fusion steering problems

2010 Ford Fusion Owner Comments (Page 3 of 29)

Oct 042016

Fusion

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Fusion. While driving approximately 35 mph down an incline, the service power steering message illuminated. The power steering suddenly failed and caused the steering wheel to lock in the neutral position. As a result, the steering wheel would not turn in either direction. After turning off and restarting the engine, the steering wheel could be turned in either direction, but the power assist would not operate and made the steering wheel very difficult to turn. The cause of the failure was not diagnosed. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 104,000.

- Springville, AL, USA

Oct 012016

Fusion

We bought this car 6-7 months ago for our daughter in college. About one month ago, as she was leaving home, her car would not steer and she received a warning light that said " power steering assist fault". she put the car in park and turned it off and back on again and the warning was gone and the car operated properly. This past Saturday while out of town, she again started the car and received the " power steering assist fault" warning only this time, no matter what she tried it would not clear. She even called a mechanic who tried disconnecting the battery, but nothing worked. She drove the car home 2 hours away with no power steering! we have found out after purchasing this car that it is a problem for many 2010-2012 Fusion owners. The 2011-2012 were recalled, but not the 2010 for the exact same problem. I will be paying our local Ford dealer $1368 Friday for this repair. Money I surely don't have lying around. We researched this car before we bought it and found only positive reviews...until this happened and we researched this "power steering assist fault" code and then our computer blew up with one complaint after another. Clearly the 2010 needs to be added to this recall.

- Steens, MS, USA

Sep 122016

Fusion

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Fusion. While driving on the highway, the power steering failed, the warning indicators illuminated, and a power steering assist message displayed. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that a component related to the power steering failed. The vehicle was repaired. The failure mileage was 87,000.

- Rockford, MI, USA

Sep 012015

Fusion

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Fusion. While turning the vehicle, the steering wheel became difficult to control. The power steering warning indicator illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the power steering failed. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 123,000.

- Leadville, CO, USA

Sep 102016

Fusion

Power steering quit working got message that said power steering assist fault, im 225 and could not turn wheel at all. Shut off car let sit for a short time started back up every thing worked as it should, ive had this happen 3 times hope it dont happen when going at high speed

- Lebanon, MO, USA

Sep 152016

Fusion

Power steering failed. I had to have the unit replaced. Vehicle was driven and parked. It set for about a week before it was driven. The power steering was not working when I drove it the next time.

- Indianola, IA, USA

Jul 082016

Fusion

Was driving and power steering just quit and it was very scary as I was just turning into a parking lot and it just stopped working all together. Luckily I was able to keep from having a serious accident or kill someone. This is a serious problem and could get people killed and really needs to be fixed and eliminated in all cars. I did see where Ford had a recall on some of the Fusion but not mine because it was manufactured in a different month. Imagine that! had to take it to the Ford dealership and pay nearly $2000 to get it fixed. I am sure glad that it was me driving it when this occurred instead of one of my children that could have been killed or injured.

- Hebron, OH, USA

May 232016

Fusion

The power steering had a small odd side to side wobble in it that felt similar to an out of balance tire. Then while driving on a city street the power steering quit working while I was driving. The steering became incredibly heavy and difficult to control. The advance track warning flashed on the console. The dealership told me the entire power steering rack had to be replaced. The dealership reset the fault and the power steering returned, but the wobble was worse and the power steering failed again while driving on the highway with no warning. The following model year has the same part and is part of a recall for the described problem.

- Selah, WA, USA

Aug 192016

Fusion

The power steering failed, fortunately while the vehicle was still in the driveway. The vehicle is used for daily commuting at highway speeds, so it was very lucky that it failed when the potential damage was minimized. I had to replace the steering gear assembly at a cost of $1872.69, invoice enclosed.

- Paoli, PA, USA

Sep 292016

Fusion

Driving car then lost power steering, able to pull to the side of the road. Power steering assist fault light comes on, also advancetrac service light and ABS light. This was a very dangerous condition. Car has approximately 70K miles. Took car to the mechanic he said it needs a new rack. This is a very expensive repair and really not acceptable in a car this age and condition. My mechanic cannot determine the ABS problem till the rack is replaced. It seems a major design flaw that these components are all controlled electrically. Seems there was a recall on the 2011 and 2012 models. 2010 needs a recall also. This is a very dangerous condition that happens with no warning. About 6 months ago had to have the motor mounts replaced(controlled by hydraulics). Passenger side air bag not functioning, the list goes on. Don't have an invoice yet as car is till in the shop. I will be reaching out to Ford, but I don't expect a resolution.

- Rahway, NJ, USA

Oct 032016

Fusion

Steering system suddenly failed while driving down the interstate. System flashed a warning and "ding" sound and I lost almost all steering. It took a lot of strength to exit and pull into a parking lot. This could have ended much worse. I turned the car off and back on and I had power steering again. This has happened twice in the last month.

- Braddock, PA, USA

Sep 282016

Fusion

The contact owned a 2010 Ford Fusion. While driving approximately 40 mph and turning left, the steering wheel seized and the "steering wheel default" warning message illuminated. The contact lost control of the vehicle and crashed into a tree. The air bags failed to deploy. A police report was filed. The driver and passenger sustained unknown injuries that required medical attention. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic and deemed destroyed. The VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 15V793000 (steering). The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 100,000.

- Jackson, MS, USA

Sep 252016

Fusion

The electronic steering assist... steering on my Ford Fusion is starting to fail I saw the was a recall from same issue on 2011 and up I contacted Ford Motor Company and explained the problem they said they was no recall for my year model.. when im experiencing the same problem.. the steering wheel has locked on me 2 times while I was at work at walmart on 9/25/ 2016. At 44665 valley central way, lancaster, ca 93536.. but Ford refused to fix the problem. Their only advice was to take car and pay the repair out of my own pocket

- Palmdale, CA, USA

Sep 232016

Fusion

Steering sensor fault/ service advance trac.... 95,000 miles. Complete loss of power steering at a speed of 2-25 mph.... 2011-2012 models recalled, however 2010 not covered and has the same TRW gen 1 epas module!?!

- Grosse Pointe Woods, MI, USA

Sep 142016

Fusion

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that the power steering failed. The dealer diagnosed that the electronic power steering module failed and needed to be replaced. The VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 15V340000 (steering). The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 40,000.

- Lawndale, CA, USA

Sep 222016

Fusion

Power steering failed trying to get of parking space, shut down engine waited 5 minutes and restarted engine...power steering was back, took car to Ford dealer and they are going to replace steering control assembly at $1900 costly fix..

- Menifee, CA, USA

Sep 092016

Fusion

My daughter's 2010 Ford Fusion power steering went out while driving after and was because she had a low tire. The advance trac system light is on but no power steering. We've had it looked atbut nobody can give me a solution and it's a $100 just to have the dealer run a diognostic on it. I've been doing some research and this appears to be a common problem with these Fusion and most are replacing the whole steering rack averaging around $1500 to replace. I think Ford needs to do a recall because of the danger of the power steering going out while driving.

- Bristol, TN, USA

Sep 172016

Fusion

2 warning service errors will show up and power steering becomes disabled as driving on residential street. Power steering became completely disabled by the time the tow truck came to pick it up. Mechanic stated it was the same codes as the recall for 2011 Ford Fusion. Had to take it to the Ford dealer to have it correctly fixed. Stated it was the steering rack assembly. Looked up issue and many others with Fusion has the same exact issue but no recall on 2010 models. Same issue and fix for the Ford Fusion with recalls (2011 and above) extremely dangerous as power steering went out and could have caused a life threatening crash. Luckily my fiance (future husband) was driving the car as I would have not been strong enough to safely pull over by turning the wheel.

- Naperville, IL, USA

Sep 152016

Fusion

I was driving and I lost steering I had had no control of my vehicle I almost crashed into another vehicle on a semi busy street, then the service power steeing now light came on. I had no steering I came to a stop put the car in park and restarted it. The service power steering now light came back on. I could not get the steering back I could not turn the wheel. My husband had to come get the car because it was to hard for me to steer. I had to have my car towed more than 60 miles because we dont have a dealership where we live. The service tech called me to let me know it was a failure on the power steering and the cost was around $2500 to replace it.

- Las Vegas, NM, USA

Sep 052016

Fusion

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that the vehicle experienced a loss of power steering. The power steering and traction control warning indicators illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the electronic steering assist assembly was defective and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 69,784.

- Indianapolis, IN, USA