2010 Ford Fusion steering problems

2010 Ford Fusion Owner Comments (Page 3 of 30)

Nov 162016

Fusion

Started the car in the morning to take kids to school, and as soon as we left the driveway and drove about 50 yards down our neighborhood street at about 15 mph, the service power steering and the service advanctrac light and warnings appeared in the information area on the dashboard. The steering became hard to turn but was able to drive the vehicle about 5 miles to the school with some muscling of the steering wheel required. Once at the school, I turned the vehicle off, then returned to the vehicle about 20 minutes later. I started my vehicle and immediately the service power steering now warning appeared as well as the service advanctrac warning and light. This time I was barely able to turn the steering wheel and get back home. If I was driving around 40 mph, it was slightly easier to steer. But when turning at slow speeds, I had to use all my strength to turn the wheel. I attempted to reset the warnings by disconnecting the battery and waiting 10 min before reattaching the battery. It did not fix the issue. Haven't driven it since.

- Maricopa, AZ, USA

Nov 132016

Fusion

" takatarecall" power steering assist fault showed on the dash when I turned engine along. Steering vey hard and unable to ride the car. The vehicle was parking in a shopoing mall. Recalls on 2011, 2012 and 2014 presenting same mechanical problem still waiting for 2010 recall.

- Chula Vista, CA, USA

Nov 152016

Fusion

When I turned on my vehicle and went to move, I had no power steering. I had a message "power steering assist fail". I turned the car off and back on and the error went away. I am calling the Ford dealer now for more information/

- Ridley Park, PA, USA

Nov 062016

Fusion

While driving service steering now came on and no power steering started. Luckily a strong man was driving and was able to get vehicle home, if wife was driving could have been a huge safety issue. Took to dealership and steering rack had to be replaced.

- Netcong, NJ, USA

Oct 152016

Fusion

Takata recall in a period of 30 days I lost power steering control twice while operating the vehicle. On both occassions I pulled over and turned the car off and on and the power steering continue working. Due to the harzard and safety issues of this faulty power steering pump, I took the vehicle to my Ford local dealership. They said that they would fix it and needed to replace the entire power steering assembly, cost was over $1,600 dollars. The same day I found out that there is a recall for the same model but 1 year newer. I contacted Ford and they refused to replace it because my manufacture date did not correspond to the current open recall # 15S18. The car is running fine right now but as you can understand this is a faulty power steering issues and I dont feel safe driving this car like this.

- Mesa, AZ, USA

Nov 072016

Fusion

Vehicle power steering assist failure. Restarted the vehicle after dropping my wife off. Steering failed as I was backing up (vehicle in motion when failure occurred). Display indicated vehicle power steering assist failure (or words to that effect) simultaneously with loss of assist. Note that loss of assist doesn't default to manual steering efforts. One can manually steer but only with herculean effort. My wife would not have been able to steer. Very lucky this didn't happen while on the road at speed (which is 90% of this vehicles driving).

- Lake Forest, CA, USA

Nov 072016

Fusion

I turned on my car while it was stationary and the power steering in my car did not work and I received an error message on my dashboard saying "power steering assist fault". I also received a message saying the activetrak was not working as well. I took it to a Ford dealer ship and was told my steering gear assembly needed to be replaced.

- Chattanooga, TN, USA

Nov 012016

Fusion

Daughter was driving 2010 Ford Fusion to school when she unexectedly lost power steering. Fortunately, she was albe to safely park the car. When I went to get the car it was displaying both a "service advancetrac" and a "service power steering now" warning.

- Leawood, KS, USA

Nov 042016

Fusion 6-cyl

My 17 year old son drove car home residential neighborhood, complaining it was hard to turn. I got in car and service advance trac came up as well as power steering assist fault. You can't turn the steering wheel, while driving!! so unhappy as I thought Ford Fusion had a good reputation. This is truly very dangerous, and I find it upsetting that 2010 year has not been recalled. Going to take to service not looking forward to the cost as I'm seeing its over a thousand dollars!!

- Sioux City, IA, USA

Nov 012016

Fusion

Power steering went out while driving. Called dealer and there was no recall. Mechanic said needed new rack on rack and pinion. Cost $1500

- Sterling Heights, MI, USA

Oct 172016

Fusion

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Fusion. While driving at a slow speed, the power steering failed without warning. The contact had to exert extra effort to steer the vehicle. The contact stated turned the vehicle off and back on and the vehicle operated normally. The dealer stated that the steering gear internal module failed, and was a fixed non-repairable component. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 60,000.

- Stanton, VA, USA

Oct 202016

Fusion

After starting the car, a power steering fault would appear on the dash starting around 60K miles. The power steering will not engage with this fault. If the car was turned off and then turn back on, the fault would disappear. This continued off and on until 110K miles and now no matter how many starts and stops, the fault will not disappear.

- Bel Aire, KS, USA

Oct 272016

Fusion 4-cyl

Steering became extremely difficult while driving on the freeway turning the steering wheel to exit the freeway.

- Norwalk, CA, USA

Fusion

Power steering locked up at very low speed when making turn; dash went dark, power assist failure displayed. Turned off ignition, then back on and power restored. Repair shop, for the second time in 3 years, replaced power steering rack and pinion unit. 70K miles on this car. Ford recalled 2011 for this but not 2010 yet is very dangerous. Ford refuses to acknowledge problem with 2010 Fusion steering.

- Naperville, IL, USA

Oct 252016

Fusion

Takata recall started engine light popped on power steering failure steering wheel would not turn, turned engine off started engine again light went off and steering were normal.I know a recall were on 2011 and up what about the 2010 Ford Fusion?

- Oxford, NC, USA

Oct 222016

Fusion

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Fusion. While driving 30 mph, the power steering did not respond and the "service advancetrac" and "service power steering now" warning indicators illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, but was not diagnosed or repaired. The vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 15V340000 (steering). The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 126,750.

- Nashville, NC, USA

Oct 182016

Fusion

My wife was driving her 2010 Ford Fusion when she hit a pot hole which caused the power steering assist module to stop working. She in turn lost all power steering and almost lost control of the vehicle.

- Columbus, IN, USA

Aug 312016

Fusion 4-cyl

Unable to steer car. Car was stationary. Car was parked in a parking lot. Was leaving the site. I started car and when I started to move I realized the steering was not working. I was unable to steer car. Immediately stopped and called aaa for a tow to the local Ford dealership.

- Bolton, CT, USA

Fusion 4-cyl

My daughter was driving home from work last night made a turn and the power steering locked up, the dash went dark and it displayed a power assist failure, she stopped the car, turned the ignition off then on and the power steering worked so she could get home. On the way to dropping the car off at the repair shop the power steering failed again. This is a very serious problem with this 2010 Ford Fusion the power steering has fallen not once but twice, we replaced the power steering rack and pinion 3 years ago at 69,460 miles. The repair shop just called and the diagnostic code is that the power steering rack and pinion has failed again at 98,000 miles. I called fair oaks Ford and they said they haven't had any issues like I described but you can see on the website that there are hundreds of issues. Why hasn't there been a recall for this problem.

- Naperville, IL, USA

Fusion

My power steering goes out each year, displaying on my dashboard to "service advancetrac" and service power steering. I have been having this issue for 3 years now. It is very difficult to turn the steering wheel. The first time this issue occurred, I paid metro Ford ( located on 6455 S western which is where I take my vehicle for service), five hundred dollars to repair my vehicle. The second time this happened, I bought the car back, I was told this time the problem is much more severe and I will have to have my entire power steering unit replaced, which could cost between $2,000 - $3,000. I could not afford it. I drove around an entire year with a dysfunctional steering wheel. I received a letter in the mail stating to bring my vehicle in for a inspection, so I did. The inspection was complete and I was told, they also had reset the car (which solved the power steering issue). This is now the third time this is happening, I called in and made an appointment to bring my vehicle in for a resetting and also explained the situation. They never attempted to reset the car, they were dismissive of my situation, and just keep insisting I pay $2K-$3K. Please accuse any typos or run on sentences. I am frustrated as I type this. Sorry!!! I have been told by a rep. There, they do not reset vehicles there, but I have documents stating that the vehicle was reset. The reps continue to dish out prices reassuring me my power steering unit needs to be replaced, but when I ask did anyone attempt to reset the car, I was told no.

- Chicago, IL, USA