Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: Ford significantly updated the Fusion for the 2010 model year. We wish they hadn't

2010 Ford Fusion steering problems

2010 Ford Fusion Owner Comments (Page 5 of 27)

Apr 232016

While driving the vehicle on a paved county road, the power steering stopped working, making it extremely difficult to steer which resulted in the front wheel impacting a concrete curb and causing the tire to blow out and damage to the wheel.

- Ann Arbor, MI, USA

Apr 122016

Power steering assist fault. Power steering stopped working while driving in parking lot.

- Cincinnati, OH, USA

Mar 182016

This vehicle has several complaints for the power steering assist failure. I have video of when mone failed and took a lot of other things with it like the air bags, brakes, advance track system and more. I called Ford only to be told that they have never heard of such failure occuring! this is bull and they need to recall those vehicles for replacement before someone is killed. Just wondering if that is what everyone is waiting for before anyone forces them to recall these vehicles. I have video proving all that it takes out when it fails. What do I do from here file a law suit of my own? had I been in an accident when the power steeringwent out I most likely would have been killed as the air bags would not have functioned. I would like to see my car replaced or at the very least repaired. When this happened to me I was driving down a highway at 70 mph and the power steering failed then the brakes then the air bags. Most everything was taken out by the failure of the power steering. My husband was with me and can attest to what happened as he was the driver.

- New London, WI, USA

Mar 292016

Fusion 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that while the driver attempted to drive from a stop, the power steering was lost and the power steering assist warning light illuminated. The vehicle was restarted but the failure recurred. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who diagnosed that the steering power control module failed. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 51,000...updated 05/02/16 the consumer stated there was no warning. When the fault occurred, the vehicle was very difficult to steer especially at low speeds. The cost of the repair was around $2,000. Updated 05/04/16

- Derby, KS, USA

Mar 142016

While driving home from work, the service advance trac and power steering light came on. I was able to make it home and I turned off the car, waited a little while and turned the car back on and this time it said "service power steering now" and the wheel was hard to turn. If 2010-2012 vehicles are affected, I don't get why only 2011-2012 are recalled. Thank god I wasn't too far from home. I could've gotten into an accident regardless.

- Mastic Beach, NY, USA

Mar 232016

Fusion 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that after the vehicle was started, the power steering assist fault and the service advance trac warning messages displayed. In addition, the contact stated that the steering wheel was difficult to maneuver. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure and the VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 15V340000 (steering). The failure mileage was 84,000. Updated 07/13/16

- Cochran, GA, USA

Mar 042016

After starting the car and backing out, the power steering went out and I was unable to get out of the line of traffic. I was almost hit from the side. Ford recalled the next 2 years for having the same problem, why havent they recalled 2010 models?! this is very dangerous and can cause an accident.

- Irvine, CA, USA

Mar 192016

The power steering went out my in car while I was driving. Thank goodness I didn't have a accident. "service power steering now" indication on the instrument panel cluster as well and an advantrac light.

- Sheridan, AR, USA

Dec 162015

While moving, the vehicle would sporadically loose vehicle power steering assist. This has happened 4 times in the last 2 months. Once while parking the vehicle. Once when driving 50 miles per hour on the highway, once when pulling into a parking space, and one more time when driving 30 mph down a highway. In all occurrences, cycling the key would "reset" the system and bring back assist.

- Wylie, TX, USA

Mar 172016

We were driving to pick up our daughter when the service power steering now and service advancetrac came on the message board. We lost power steering to the car. Luckily my mom's house wasn't far from our house. We got home safe and called the next day about repairs and found out it was over $1500. That is something we can't afford with a family. Come to find out many people have this problem with the same make and model and have gotten it fixed but the problem keeps reoccurring. This is very disappointing to hear about this car. This was my wife's dream car and now we find out its not as safe as Ford claims it is.

- Jefferson City, MO, USA

Mar 172016

While stationary, the vehicle lost all power steering. The steering rack was replaced 1 month ago for this same issue. Well, the problem came back. It appears to be a well known issue with other Fusion owners. There is a recall with 2011-2012, but not with 2010 which uses the exact same steering rack. This is a major safety concern that needs to be addressed. Car is almost impossible to drive without power steering. Do a few people need to die in wrecks for this to be added to the recall?

- Selah, WA, USA

Feb 292016

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that while replacing a flat tire on the vehicle, the power steering warning indicator illuminated. The contact stated that after replacing the tire, the steering wheel became very difficult to maneuver. The vehicle was towed to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the rack and pinion needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 74,000.

- Nashville, TN, USA

Mar 072016

Advantrac warning light came on and also power steering service now signal came on. Had no power steering. Power steering failure signal had come on three or four times in the previous months. I would turn car off, turn back on and power steering would be back to normal. This time power steering never came back on. Drove to dealer, they checked system and cleared codes and said I needed a new steering rack for $1,850. I declined. The power steering was working again but he said it would go out again. Why", when". my car drives fine so why did I need a $1,850 repair. This is criminal activity. Am I driving a computer with defective chips or a car with parts.

- Waterford, MI, USA

Mar 112016

Takada recall - I have a 2010 Ford Fusion.... my wife and I was out last night and the steering stop working and a light came on the message panel saying advance servicetrac and service power steering now... this is high dangerous because we were no where near home and I have to drive all the way home with no power steering... I am glad I did have our daughter in the car. I don't knowant what's going on but many people have had this same problem and no one is being held accountable, only the consumers. Pover steering is not a simple fix it is expensive. What are those of us who don't have the money to get it fixed suppose to do. Hopefully this issue will be resolved. I really don't even want a Ford car if all their cars come with electric power steering.

- Romulus, MI, USA

Mar 112016

City street the car became undrivable had it taken to a shop.

- Memphis, TN, USA

Mar 042016

The power steering went out on my car and because it is electric it is going to cost a lot of money to fix. I have read several complaints about the 2010 Ford Fusion and am wondering if anything is going to be done about this. Luckily I was able to pull over when I noticed it was happening otherwise I could have been in an accident.

- White Bear Lake, MN, USA

Feb 262016

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Fusion. While driving 65 mph, the traction control light and power steering light illuminated. The steering wheel seized. The vehicle was not diagnosed nor repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 95,600.

- Belton, TX, USA

Oct 172014

While driving on the interstate at about 70 miles per hour, my power steering went out. I could do nothing to restore it. That was about a year and a half ago. I took it to a Ford dealer and they wanted $100 to look at it and $1800 to repair it. I am on a fixed income and cannot afford the cost of repairs. It went out at 51,000 miles. Shortly after this hapened the transmission start leaking. I have to add 2 quarts per month. I have called Ford several times and they have no recalls on this year. Over 90% of the complaints on this web site have to do with 2010 Ford Fusion steering problems. My wife can longer drive this car and due to heart surgery there are times when I can not drive it. I finally contacted a lawyer and the state of West Virginia attorney generals office. I have been a faithful form customer for many years and this is the biggest piece of junk it has ever been my displeasure to own. My next step is to quit making payment on it. I still owe $14,000 on this piece of scrap metal.

- Charleston, WV, USA

Feb 252016

Feb 25, 2016, suddenly the power steering went out, almost impossible to steer, panel warning lights came on with power steering assist failure, power steering failure.. 2010-2012 Ford Fusion with known power steering failure problems, yet the 2010 isn't in the recall" hundreds have this same prob with their 2010 Fusion! dangerous, happened as soon as I started the car, but had to get medication to elderly parent nearby, while driving after a mi snowstorm! now, have to pay to have it towed, let alone pay to fix this" can't turn the wheel without extreme effort, also smell an odd 'burny' smell..not to mention, this car already has a fuel system recall (letter rec'd in Jan 2016) but dealership still says they don't have the parts and it's the end of Feb 2016...the power steering was recalled in the following 2 years with the exact same issue--what is status for 2010 Fusion with this problem! help!

- Belleville, MI, USA

Feb 212016

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Fusion. While driving 60 mph, the electrical power steering malfunctioned. The contact made numerous attempts to recover the power steering, but was unsuccessful. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the power steering control module was defective and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The VIN was excluded from NHTSA campaign number: 15V340000 (steering). The failure mileage was not provided. Updated 04/22/16

- Mills, WY, USA