2010 Ford Fusion steering problems

2010 Ford Fusion Owner Comments (Page 6 of 29)

Mar 012016

Fusion

When making turns the power steering goes out and "power steer assist fault" comes up in the message center. I can turn the car off and back on again and it usually resets itself but always occurs again. This has happened over 20 times and is very dangerous as power steering is lost.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

May 032016

Fusion

The power steering failed many times rendering my car undeliverable. After researching, I found that there is a pending class action (philips V. Ford Motor Co.) involving the same issue and the 2010 - 2014 model year. The car is out of warranty; however, it was discovered that Ford knew of the defect prior to the 2010 model year going into production. The repairs have coat me approx. $1,600 and the car has been in and out of the repair shop for the same issue. I asked Ford to reimburse me for the repairs. They denies my claim. Please assist me in obtaining reimbursement for this known defect.

- Norco, CA, USA

May 202016

Fusion

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Fusion. While driving 5 mph, the electric power steering malfunctioned and the steering wheel seized without warning. The contact had to apply a significant amount of pressure to the steering wheel in order to properly steer the vehicle. The contact depressed the brake pedal and the steering returned to normal. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The failure mileage was 124,000.

- Plant City, FL, USA

May 212016

Fusion

Power steering fault appeared on dashboard while driving and steering became hard to control. Turned ignition switch off and restarted power steering was working again. Carried car in for service I was told everything was normal. Now it's happened 4 or 5 times. Being that it's out of warranty now its out again.

- Tuscumbia, AL, USA

Mar 082016

Fusion

This is my husbands car, the power steering message came on the dashboard and he lost control of the car while he was driving on a winding road. He was able to drive it back home, but has not had any power steering since. We took our car to the Ford dealership where we had purchased it from. They said that our car needed a new epas rack. We were quoted at $1,600 to replace. We have not been able to use the vehicle since this had happened.

- Jeannette, PA, USA

Mar 142016

Fusion

I was turning left at a major intersection and all of sudden I lost power steering. On my message screen the words popped up "service power steering now" then another message popped up regarding traction control. I almost collided with another vehicle. I was able to muscle the car to the right and avoid the collision. If my wife was driving, she would have hit the other vehicle. This is very much a safety issue. When I heard the repair costs to get it fixed, I cannot afford to have it fixed and now I am making payments on a vehicle I cannot drive due to this safety issue.

- Rootstown, OH, USA

May 072016

Fusion

Daughters car had power steering failure. Came home from work, changed and was leaving, started car and check power steering assist fault came on and no power steering. After checking web sites, NHTSA and seeing 100S of complaints, called Ford, no help, please have dealer fix and pay him if its added to the recall, we will reimburse you! need you to have dealer fix, so its added to our warranty data!.. news flash, I called you as 100S of others add it to your data. 9K on my Super Duty last month, know 1500-2000, no more Ford for me buy buy Ford> hello Chevy

- Oconomowoc, WI, USA

May 072016

Fusion

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Fusion. While driving 40 mph, the steering wheel seized and the tire pressure warning light illuminated. The vehicle was not diagnosed nor repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failures. The failure mileage was 149,000.

- Minneapolis, MN, USA

May 032016

Fusion

The power steering suddenly went out without warning with message to service power steering now on dashboard making car impossible to steer.I was driving through a residential street when it happened. The car has the electronic power assisted steering.

- Oak Park, MI, USA

Apr 132016

Fusion

As I pulled out of a gas station (turning right), the 'service advance trac and power steering' warning came on. I was able to make it home, with extreme difficulty. Unable to turn the wheel, I did almost hit another vehicle as it went out while driving. The next morning, steering was completely gone, I couldn't even move it an inch, and had to be towed to a mechanic. After two days of diagnostics and trying to figure out what was going on, the mechanic was not able to figure out what was wrong and simply reset the computer. He said it now is a matter of waiting to see if that happens again, and if it does, he would suggest a new rack and pinion.

- West Allis, WI, USA

Apr 102016

Fusion

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that the steering wheel was becoming extremely tight and the power steering failed to work. The power steering warning light illuminated. In addition, the steering wheel would not turn left or right. The contact had to turn the vehicle off and restart it each time the failure continued. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The VIN was not available. The approximate failure mileage was 52,000.

- Cleveland, OH, USA

Apr 232016

Fusion

While driving the vehicle on a paved county road, the power steering stopped working, making it extremely difficult to steer which resulted in the front wheel impacting a concrete curb and causing the tire to blow out and damage to the wheel.

- Ann Arbor, MI, USA

Apr 122016

Fusion

Power steering assist fault. Power steering stopped working while driving in parking lot.

- Cincinnati, OH, USA

Mar 182016

Fusion

This vehicle has several complaints for the power steering assist failure. I have video of when mone failed and took a lot of other things with it like the air bags, brakes, advance track system and more. I called Ford only to be told that they have never heard of such failure occuring! this is bull and they need to recall those vehicles for replacement before someone is killed. Just wondering if that is what everyone is waiting for before anyone forces them to recall these vehicles. I have video proving all that it takes out when it fails. What do I do from here file a law suit of my own? had I been in an accident when the power steeringwent out I most likely would have been killed as the air bags would not have functioned. I would like to see my car replaced or at the very least repaired. When this happened to me I was driving down a highway at 70 mph and the power steering failed then the brakes then the air bags. Most everything was taken out by the failure of the power steering. My husband was with me and can attest to what happened as he was the driver.

- New London, WI, USA

Mar 292016

Fusion 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that while the driver attempted to drive from a stop, the power steering was lost and the power steering assist warning light illuminated. The vehicle was restarted but the failure recurred. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who diagnosed that the steering power control module failed. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 51,000...updated 05/02/16 the consumer stated there was no warning. When the fault occurred, the vehicle was very difficult to steer especially at low speeds. The cost of the repair was around $2,000. Updated 05/04/16

- Derby, KS, USA

Mar 142016

Fusion

While driving home from work, the service advance trac and power steering light came on. I was able to make it home and I turned off the car, waited a little while and turned the car back on and this time it said "service power steering now" and the wheel was hard to turn. If 2010-2012 vehicles are affected, I don't get why only 2011-2012 are recalled. Thank god I wasn't too far from home. I could've gotten into an accident regardless.

- Mastic Beach, NY, USA

Mar 232016

Fusion 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that after the vehicle was started, the power steering assist fault and the service advance trac warning messages displayed. In addition, the contact stated that the steering wheel was difficult to maneuver. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure and the VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 15V340000 (steering). The failure mileage was 84,000. Updated 07/13/16

- Cochran, GA, USA

Mar 042016

Fusion

After starting the car and backing out, the power steering went out and I was unable to get out of the line of traffic. I was almost hit from the side. Ford recalled the next 2 years for having the same problem, why havent they recalled 2010 models?! this is very dangerous and can cause an accident.

- Irvine, CA, USA

Mar 192016

Fusion

The power steering went out my in car while I was driving. Thank goodness I didn't have a accident. "service power steering now" indication on the instrument panel cluster as well and an advantrac light.

- Sheridan, AR, USA

Dec 162015

Fusion

While moving, the vehicle would sporadically loose vehicle power steering assist. This has happened 4 times in the last 2 months. Once while parking the vehicle. Once when driving 50 miles per hour on the highway, once when pulling into a parking space, and one more time when driving 30 mph down a highway. In all occurrences, cycling the key would "reset" the system and bring back assist.

- Wylie, TX, USA