Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: Ford significantly updated the Fusion for the 2010 model year. We wish they hadn't

2010 Ford Fusion steering problems

2010 Ford Fusion Owner Comments (Page 8 of 27)

Dec 102015

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Fusion. The contact stated while driving at approximately 35 mph, the steering wheel seized. The service advanced auto track and the power steering warning indicators illuminated. The failure recurred numerous times. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 84,000. The VIN was not available.

- Haverhill, MA, USA

Dec 062015

While driving at highway speed 65 mph or so got a power steering warning message on the dash. The car continued to drive fine until we got home. The next morning we went to leave the and immediately upon starting the vehicle I got a "service power steering now" message and had no power assist making the car almost impossible to drive safely. There has been a recall issued from Ford for the 2011-2012 models but nothing for the 2010 with the exact same part number steering rack that is in all three years. The recall needs to be expanded to the 2010 models.

- Pflugerville, TX, USA

Dec 042015

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Fusion. While driving approximately 30 mph, the power steering warning indicator illuminated and the steering wheel became extremely difficult to manuever. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 73,000.

- Slidell, LA, USA

Dec 022015

I was driving.making a turn and steering light came on, trac light came on then lost steering control very hard to steer to side of road. Very lucky no accident.

- Pontiac, MI, USA

Dec 022015

Went to go somewhere. Cranked the car. Steering wheel would not turn. Left stranded in a parking lot>

- Seneca, SC, USA

Nov 292015

Power steering failed. The car was stationary. It seems there are recalls for other model years but not 2010. If recalling 2011 and 2012, I'm guessing a recall should include 2010 as well or any model year that is showing the same issues as a recall. Dealership wants to charge $1,600 to repair.

- Livonia, MI, USA

Nov 262015

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Fusion. While driving at approximately 10 mph after the front passenger side tire blew out, the steering wheel became difficult to turn. The service power steering now warning indicator illuminated. The contact merged to the shoulder of the road and replaced the tire, but the steering wheel failure persisted. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, but was not diagnosed or repaired. The VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 15V340000 (steering). The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 168,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Shelby, NC, USA

Nov 242015

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that while driving at approximately 35 mph, the advanced tracking and the power steering warning lights illuminated continuously. In addition, an unknown tire was flat and the steering wheel seized. The contact mentioned that air was added to the tire. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where the failure was undetermined. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 125,000.

- Hyattsville, GA, USA

Nov 222015

While in motion, at 40 mph, the front panel error messages, "service power steering now" & "service advancetrac" displayed. I fortunately avoided traffic and pulled into a parking lot off a major roadway in the city of suwanee, Georgia. All power steering was lost. This seems to fall under the following preliminary evaluation #PE14030.

- Sugar Hill, GA, USA

Nov 182015

I was pulling out of a parking lot when I realized I wasn't able to turn my steering wheel. I saw the alert message "power steering assist fault." I pulled back into my parking spot, restarted my car, and was able to drive and use the steering wheel just fine. This has actually happened several times before when starting my car but I thought my car just needed to 'warm up.' This was the first time it didn't work after waiting a few moments. I researched other complaints online and I'm seeing that this issue has happened to other Ford Fusion 2010 owners while they were driving, and many of the cases resulted in accidents. Also, issue with impaired lug nuts. Some car shops have been unable to rotate my tires because they couldn't get them off.

- Scottsdale, AZ, USA

Nov 192015

While driving the service power steering now light and the advance trac light came on. Car got hard to steer. Came to a stop and had no power steering. This is the second time this has happened to this car.

- Lawson, MO, USA

Oct 082013

While driving the service power steering now and the advance trac light came on. Car became hard to steer. Pulled into a parking lot, turned off the car and restarted. Complete loss of power steering assist.

- Lawson, MO, USA

Nov 012015

Pulled vehicle into my driveway Sunday afternoon after normal operation and turned it off. After 5 minutes went to move vehicle. Turned key to start and power steering assist fault message appeared. Steering wheel was very hard to turn so vehicle wasn't moved. Tried to move again 15 minutes later but still no power steering. Vehicle stayed in driveway overnight. Monday morning, vehicle was started and steering was back to normal. After 3 weeks, problem has not happened again. Contacted a Ford dealer and 2 private shops, all tell me there is no code retained for this issue and it would have to be diagnosed with the problem actually happening. Also contacted Ford customer service. The rep said she would record my info but could not provide technical assistance.

- North Ridgeville, OH, USA

Nov 172015

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that while making a right turn, the steering wheel seized and caused the contact to crash into a concrete guard rail. There were no injuries and a police report was not filed. The vehicle was driven to the contact's residence. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 15V340000 (steering). The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 111,000.

- Henderson, NV, USA

Nov 132015

The eps system malfunctions at speeds that could result in dangerous accidents. I was traveling at 40 mph and the steering locked up. Message center stated clearly that the power steering needs service now. The steering was manual at this point, so I tried hard to pull it over to the side of the road and get out of the way of traffic. I then had it towed to my repair shop. This is going to cost $1000's of dollars! this is a major problem that could cause major accidents.

- Bedford, TX, USA

Nov 022015

As I was driving the power steering stopped workin. And couldnt turn the wheel. While I had my children in the car. Also the gas tank whenever I get gas the car shakes & when I turn the car on after the gas is done, the car stalls & have to restart it twice before it stays

- Brooklyn, NY, USA

Nov 142015

While driving my car my steering wheeling locked and I could not control the car. When I took it to the shop the mechanic told me that my car does not have a standard hydraulic steering wheel system but instead it has an electronic one that will cost over $1000 to repair. I'm considering suing the Ford Motor Company because I almost died in my car due to this faulty system they provided in my car. After doing research I found out that a lot of Ford customers with a 2010 Ford Fusion are going through the same issue and Ford is not willing to help. I will be in contact with a lawyer on Monday. I live in buffalo NY while driving my car I was on a busy street intersection why my power steering went out.

- Buffalo, NY, USA

Nov 042015

Power steering failed, and fixed itself after resetting the codes. A week or so ago I was driving 65 mph when the power steering failed again causing me to go off of the road! thankfully I had my seatbelt on and I was not injured and their was no damage to my vehicle. Ford has only issued a recall for 2011 and newer models which is ridiculous because from what I have read online more people are having issues with the 2010 models. Was told it could be close to 3,000 to fix the issue! and that it isn't guaranteed that it won't happen again! beyond upset and frustrated! I don't have the money to fix the car, but can't afford not getting it fixed either! for mow oh age been driving around with no power steering because I need to go to work and go to school!

- Florence, VT, USA

Nov 132015

Well I could have seriously hurt someone else or my loved ones and my vehicle because without any warning once so ever my car stopped turning. Meaning it was 20 times harder for me to control my vehicle. The warning that flashed in the instrument panel in the split second of me trying to fix whatever was going on was that I needed to get my power steering serviced immediately! so in return my car's steering abilities just abruptly stopped. Luckily, I was at a gas station and not moving too fast, able to turn on my hazard lights and honk at everyone in passing not to come near me while my sister waved everyone away. The issues with the 2010 Ford Fusion is beyond ridiculous and quite frankly too dangerous! now the electronic power steering control module needs servicing. Ford has issued a recall for the problem but only for 2011's and up. This car is highly uncontrollable and terrifying to operate w/O power steering. This is going to cost me towing to a dealership, rental car fees, a diagnostic test of $99 dollars, parts and labor and of course my time. All with the hanging carrot that I might be reimbursed if they do issue a recall down the line or at least that's what the Ford relations customer service people told me. Not only will this cost me upwards $2000 and more but the parts are on back order too. This is my only car and I have to still make car payments during this. What a headache!!! and for the life of me, I just can't understand why there's no recall for 2010 Ford Fusion models pertaining to this problem when there's significant research that states many 2010 Ford drivers are experiencing this. Ford built cars with electronic power steering which doesn't take fluid so if there's an electronic software issue that persists with one make and model give everyone the courtesy of being able to have their cars updated/fixed.

- Chandler, AZ, USA

Nov 032015

I was driving the car and the advanced trac light came on. Service power steering now. I was in the car with my 9 year old son and I am 5 months pregnant.this is very dangerous and need to be fixed this is my only transportation.

- Garner, NC, USA