2010 Ford Fusion steering problems

2010 Ford Fusion Owner Comments (Page 1 of 30)

Jan 152017

Fusion

I was driving my 2010 Ford Fusion in a parking lot and when making a right turn the "service power steering" and "service advance trac" lights started flashing. My boyfriend and I weren't sure what that meant so we continued to drive home a few minutes down the road. Once reaching our driveway the car seemed a little harder to turn, but it still wasn't that bad. We decided in the morning to take it to the dealership. We started the car and we could not move the steering wheel at all. I do see that this is a common problem with the 2010 Ford Fusion, but Ford has not made this a recall and there is a lawsuit regarding this. Thankfully we nor anyone around us was hurt, but now we are looking at paying around $1500 for repairs. It would be nice if Ford could have this issue fixed

- Garden City, MI, USA

Oct 182016

Fusion

Takata recall. We have taken the vehicle 4 times towed to the same Ford dealership. Lorenzo Ford in homestead, Florida. Steering wheel locked could not turn or steer. While driving the vehicle with my family in the car and turning on a busy intersection on 157 avenue and North kendall drive we almost got into a very serious accident head on. On another occasion while turning on sw 137 avenue and 152 street again the steering wheel locked up. Also we paid $1800 to the dealership for repairs for this problem and the vehicle is sitting in our driveway with the same issue a locked steering wheel. It shows that the airbag is open and it is not. We are very upset and dissatisfied with the service that was performed at the dealership. We need help.there could have been a serious accident and perhaps loss of life. We usually don't complain but this is not acceptable. We have not yet received notice that the part is in to fix this problem. It's been since July 2016 that we received the letter for the recall and nothing has happened so far. The part that was replaced was the gear assembly -steering $1186.74 plus labor. Since 5/2016 -10/2016 its been in the dealership 4 times. Still not drivable.

- Homestead, FL, USA

Jan 042017

Fusion

Power steering failure while driving. Vehicle reports error code, and all power steering is lost without warning. Dealer's service department says it is a manufacturing defect but is not covered under current recall.

- Zanesville, OH, USA

Dec 142016

Fusion

Power steering not working. Took the vehicle to a mechanic who replaced the right front knee and electric power steering rack and reset fault codes for steering angle and ABS. Power steering worked for approximately 40 miles. Drove to supermarket. Came out of market to find power steering not working (stationary). Took directly to Ford dealer. Ford dealer updated software, performed steering angle reset, and cleared all codes after reprogramming. Power steering worked for approximately 50 miles. Leaving work I found the power steering not working again (stationary).

- Dublin, OH, USA

Jan 092017

Fusion

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Fusion. While attempting to make a left turn, the steering wheel became difficult to maneuver. The advance trac and power steering assist fault warning indicators illuminated. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure and the VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 15V340000 (steering). The failure mileage was 209,000.

- Lower Peach Tree, AL, USA

Jan 072017

Fusion

Power steering assist fault. NHTSA already has an open investigation, I'm just another person experiencing this problem with my 2010 Ford Fusion, which has not been issued a recall by Ford. Extreme difficult turning the car, especially at low speeds.

- Centerville, OH, USA

Jan 012015

Fusion

Electric power steering went out while driving on state highways, making it almost impossible to drive, steer to a safe place just to prevent a head on collision.without any warning driving and out of nowhere electric power steering goes out while in a curve I can guarantee you the average driver will end up in a crash, possibly dead. I was only lucky no one was coming towards me. Cost was around 1,200$ at Ford dealership. I'm not sure the date of the incident, it was over a year ago.

- Pineville, LA, USA

Jan 052017

Fusion

I am just wondering what the status is of the steering lockup with the 2010 Ford Fusion. My son has this car and the steering is completely locked up. Luckily he was not driving it. It was just after starting it this morning. He called Ford and they told him that his VIN was not under the recall. I am having trouble understanding why not when it falls in the bad year range and clearly has the same issue. I feel that Ford should cover this one.

- Buffalo, MN, USA

Dec 202016

Fusion

Power steering went out on my way home on December 20 2016. Took it to the dealer on January 4 2017 and was told the steering rack had to be replaced. Seen where Ford had a problem with the steering failing on this model. There were some recalls on some but not on mine.

- Durham, NC, USA

Jan 012017

Fusion

Power steering stopped working on my 2010 Ford Fusion. Power steering failed when car was started while sitting in driveway. Took to shop and told a $1500 steering gear replacement is required. 2011-13 yr models were recalled for same problem. Ford will not and has not yet included 2010's in the recall. 1000's of online complaints

- Coarsegold, CA, USA

Dec 152016

Fusion

I was driving and the power steering went out. The service power steering came on and service advancetrac came on.

- Taylor, MI, USA

Dec 312016

Fusion

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Fusion. While driving approximately 45 mph, the steering wheel seized intermittently and the power steering warning indicator illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the steering gear had to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 127,600.

- Chesapeake, VA, USA

Dec 272016

Fusion

While driving in town all the sudden my service advancetrac and power steering warning lights come on. The power steering was still working I was on the way out of town so I stopped shut my car down and restarted and got the error service advancetrac and service power steering now warning lights and lost power steering. Lucky at this time I was driving and not either of my teenage sons. Not sure why these go out unexpectedly with no warning but seeing that there are literally thousands of complaints with this happening yet the recall starts in 2011 to fix this?

- Plover, IA, USA

Dec 262016

Fusion

I was driving and all of the sudden the power steering went out.

- Alexandria, VA, USA

Dec 182016

Fusion

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Fusion. The contact, a mechanic, stated that there was a sudden loss of power steering, the warning lights flashed to service the eps, and the stability traction control and various warning indicators flashed. The contact had to coast the vehicle over to the side of the road and restart it, but the failure continued. The vehicle was diagnosed by a dealer who indicated that the rack and pinion needed to replaced. The contact inspected the vehicle and noticed a leak from the air conditioner drain on top of the steering gear. It was diagnosed that the steering wheel angle sensor in the steering column needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 15V340000 (steering). The contact indicated that the dealer's mechanical diagnosis was a sufficient solution to repair the vehicle. The manufacturer was not notified. The approximate failure mileage was 89,000.

- Port Neches, TX, USA

Dec 132016

Fusion

While driving at posted speed, power steering assistance unexpected failed. Driver error notice "service power steering now" displayed immediately, followed soon by "service advancetrac." Just barely kept the vehicle on the road, avoiding a rather large ditch. Local mechanic diag revealed the following relevant diag codes: * C1277 (invalid or missing data for steering wheel angle sensor) * C1963 (stability control inhibit warning)

- Lansing, MI, USA

Dec 142016

Fusion

Total loss of steering while pulling out of driveway. Warnings on dash for service steering now and service advancetrac.

- Ottawa, OH, USA

Dec 122016

Fusion

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Fusion. While driving 30 mph and making a right turn, the power steering failed. The contact stated that the service advanced trac warning indicator illuminated. The contact stated that the steering wheel became difficult to operate. It was diagnosed that the electronic power steering control module needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 139,000.

- Detroit, MI, USA

Dec 122016

Fusion

Power steering suddenly went out turning in parking lot.got it to the shop he finally got to work on it and everything worked fine can't fix what's not broke. Picked it up and before my wife got home suddenly went out again coming down a city street, no warning very dangerous 2011-12 was recalled for same reason need to include 2010.

- Odenville, AL, USA

Dec 092016

Fusion

While driving the vehicle straight down a city street at approximately 30 mph, the power steering suddenly went out and were two warning messages "service powering now" and "service advancetrac". with difficulty, the car was pulled into a parking area a couple hundred feet down the road. The Ford mechanic that diagnosed the issue advised us the electronic steering gear had gone out and it would be about $1850 to replace it. We were lucky this happened at relatively low speed while driving straight. If it had happened near other vehicles while turning it may have caused an accident.

- Fayetteville, AR, USA