Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2011 Fusion builds off the 2010's reputation. That's not a good thing.

2011 Ford Fusion engine problems

2011 Ford Fusion Owner Comments (Page 12 of 13)

Feb 252013

Fusion 6-cyl

While driving to work one day my car shut off right after a turn going down a hill, the dash was illuminated and no lights were on other than the dash. I put the car into park and turned it off then started it right back up, it ran fine after that. There is another issue as well though, while driving it hesitated by shifting at higher RPM's than it should and took it to dealer on Monday February 25, 2013 and they still have it with no explanation as to why it did any of those things that I mentioned. The only thing that the service guy says is "well until it is billed out I do not know what is going on with the car." I am very frustrated and just bought this certified pre owned two weeks ago. There should be a lemon law on certified pre owned cars, this is not cool. It has caused a headache for me and now I am stuck paying for a car I cannot even drive right now.

- Omaha, NE, USA

Feb 222013

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that while driving approximately 45 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. The vehicle was towed to the dealer for diagnostic testing. The technician stated that the throttle body box would have to be replaced. There was an investigation under NHTSA action number: PE13003 (engine) that could have been related to the failure. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure however, the vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was not available. The approximate failure mileage was 55,000.

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Jan 172013

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that while driving 50 mph, the engine lost power with the illumination of the wrench warning icon and the check engine warning light. The contact pulled the vehicle over and allowed it to sit for a minute before he was able to proceed with driving the vehicle. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer for inspection. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was 23,000.

- Williamstown, NJ, USA

Feb 222013

Fusion 4-cyl

I purchased a 2011 Ford Fusion SE on February 22, 2013. I drove an hour and 15 minutes to the dealership to get this vehicle. On my drive home, I was sort of skeptical about the car because on the ride back, up and down the hills, I could feel a slight uneasiness of the car but thought that was just the how it was. The next three days it drove fine around town. On the fourth day, on my way pulling into work, I braked at the stop sign to let traffic go and as I let off the brake the car did not go anywhere. I sat there about 3 or 4 minutes before I could get it to go. Once I got home, I left out to go to a store and parked to go inside. I came out and the car would not reverse. It took me about 15 minutes of constantly cranking it, shifting gears and pressing the gas before I could get it to move again. I love the car and its features but I hate that this is happening. What can be done to keep the car and avoid the problems with it?

- Orangeburg, SC, USA

Feb 262013

I had just got off the highway and was in rush hour traffic. Traffic had come to a complete stop. When traffic started to move I attempted to accelerate and the engine rpms immediately dropped to around 500 and were very erratic. The engine was running very rough and the amber wrench light was illuminated. I was unable to accelerate and had to idle the car off the road to a nearby parking lot. I turned off the car and looked under the hood but couldn't see anything wrong. I started the car back up and it ran fine; the amber wrench light was no longer illuminated. I took it to autozone to have the obd2 codes read but it didn't show any codes.

- Oviedo, FL, USA

Jul 062012

Fusion 6-cyl

I read where the NHTSA was looking into issues with Ford engines from 2009-2011 in Fusion & escapes. Thought I would relay my incident. Traveling about 55-60 mph, the vehicle suddenly and without warning slowed to a crawl on a busy highway. We were able to nurse the car to the side of the road. Noticed a amber "wrench" warning light. Turned off the vehicle and re-started it. We were able to get the vehicle home under normal operating conditions. Since it was a very hot day, just assumed it was heat related. Happened 2 more times that week-end (at lower speeds in parking lots). Took it to the dealer, but they could not duplicate the problem and could not get an error code. Seems like the light has to actually be on. The dealer replaced the throttle body (under warranty). Have not experienced another incident since, however the gears seem to shift much harder now, though not constant. It's a great vehicle, but I always have that power loss in my mind, praying it wont occur again.

- Severna Park, MD, USA

Dec 192012

Fusion 6-cyl

I have now twice experienced the same problem described in the news articles from this date regarding engine stall. The first occasion, the vehicle was driving on a surface street at approximately 40 mph when it suddenly stalled. The second occasion was while I was trying to enter a freeway at between 50-55 mph. After the engine was turned off for a minute, the vehicle started working again properly.

- Garden Grove, CA, USA

Dec 272012

My car lost power and we had to pull over to the side of the road. Eventually I got it started again, limped to a Ford dealership, and was charged $591 for a throttle body replacement.

- Nacogdoches, TX, USA

Sep 022011

Fusion 6-cyl

This happened sometime back, however it could be related to your current investigations. When I had approx 1900 miles on the car and while I was going around 70 mph, the car went into limp mode and I lost all throttle control. After nearly getting hit from behind from a truck (cause I lost speed), I managed to pull over to safety and saw I had no throttle response. I turned off the car, and then turned it back on to find it out it wouldn't start. So I turned it off once again, waited 20 or so seconds, and turned the car back on and proceeded to work. Later on that night, I pulled the codes off the system and kept them as pictures (P2104 and P2112) just in case the codes cleared (cold cycle). Sure enough I go to the dealer the next day, no codes found and there is nothing they (Ford) can do. I showed them the pictures, however I was still turned away. Later on at around 7500 miles, this happened again and this time I was close enough to the dealer to run the codes. They performed tsb 11-4-23 on the engine throttle body and ECU, and installed a new wiring harness. Little did I know at the time, but this states that under rare conditions the engine will emit those codes while the wipers are on.

- Bayonne, NJ, USA

Jan 072013

Fusion 6-cyl

I bought this 2011 Ford Fusion at 40,000 miles and since it has been at 45,000 miles I been having stalling and idle problems. I thought I was going crazy until I seen an article in the news today. My car has stalled on the hwy to where on numerous occasions I have almost been hit. I have had to pull over and restart it. I also see the wrench when it happens. I also have been sitting still at lights to where my car would idle up real fast. My car also pops and gets stuck when I change gears. I hate this car. I just pray something gets done before someone really gets hurt including myself....

- Blue Springs, MO, USA

Jan 302013

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that while driving approximately 35 mph, the vehicle jerked and powered off. Also, the contact stated that the check engine warning light illuminated. The contact mentioned the failure occurred intermittently. The vehicle was taken to a private mechanic who was unable to diagnose the failure. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure and current mileage 40,000.

- Cloverdale, CA, USA

Sep 132012

Fusion 6-cyl

While entering interstate 275 South on ramp in tampa, fl my car abruptly stopped responding to the gas pedal and the little wrench light came on. All I could do is coast to a stop on the side of the road. Once my speed slowed to around 5 to 10 miles per hour, the car began to jerk and shake. I put it in park, turned it off and restarted the engine, and it worked like normal for about another month or so until it happened again while I was turning right on red on a major 5 line street. Since then it has happened at least 20 times and has become increasingly more frequent. After a little research on the web, it seems hundreds of people are describing the exact same problem. I mean exactly in every way except for the speeds and locations. The oldest model that I recall seeing this problem described about online is a 2010 with only 15000 miles on it. This is a potentially very dangerous issue, that in my opinion, needs to be fixed. When I was making that right turn, the car just stopped in the middle of the road and I had to quickly restart the engine and floor it to avoid causing an accident.

- Tampa, FL, USA

Jan 132013

Fusion 6-cyl

Vehicle began to shake, would not accelerate, wrench light came on.

- Wayne, NJ, USA

Dec 132012

Fusion 6-cyl

While driving my 2011 Fusion on the road at 55 mph, the engine suddenly quit and the wrench light came on. The slowdown was fast, and I could have been hit from behind very easily, but I lucked out because the person behind me took notice of my drastic drop in speed. I coasted off to the side of the road, turned off the car, waited a few moments and then restarted the engine. Fortunately I got home ok, so I thought is was maybe a fluke occurrence. When I left for work the next morning, the same thing happened as I was driving; same road, same speed, same wrench light, etc. When I got the car restarted, I took it to the local Ford dealer. They thought they had fixed the problem with a relay switch(?), but once again, the engine quit while I was driving back to work that same morning. This time more than the wrench light lit up. I went through the restart routine again, but this time it was not a very smooth start - I did not think it was going to start, but it did, and I took it back to the dealership again where they are currently trying to figure out what the problem is. This is a considerable safety hazard to anyone traveling with me and/or driving my car, and an unsafe environment for those driving near me. My car has been at the dealership most of the day now, and no word on the problem or rectification thereof. I am extremely concerned and very worried this issue will "mushroom".

- Grand Haven, MI, USA

Dec 052012

Fusion 6-cyl

While driving at highway speeds, the engine will go into a very violent idle and the throttle will become un-responsive and an orange wrench light will come on the dash. This has happened twice now in a week and is very dangerous when it happens. You have to try and navigate through traffic to get off the highway while coasting only since you can't give it any gas. Ford has to know about this issue since its everywhere online and everywhere on this website. It is a very serious issue and needs to be fixed. Ford won't fix it under the power train warranty even though its a critical part of making the vehicle go.

- Muskogee, OK, USA

Jul 102012

Fusion 6-cyl

Traveling at freeway speed, engine suddenly lost all power and reverted to idle RPM. Engine was idling roughly, and pressing on accelerator would not increase rpms. The "wrench" (check engine) light was illuminated. Was able to coast downhill to exit freeway; very unsafe condition. Switched off engine, restarted engine... and it ran normal; "wrench" light extinguished. Took car to walnut creek Ford following morning; they said no fault code was recorded on the cars computer and they could not replicate problem. Service rep told me Ford had no records of any previous problems of this nature, so I should just keep driving the car. I told him that was unsafe, and he replied there was nothing else he could do. He said he "could not just throw parts at an unknown problem"'. same problem occurred on Nov 01, 2012. I did an on-line search on various Ford Fusion forums and found multiple reports of this same situation with V6 engine attributed to throttle body housing. Immediately took car to walnut creek Ford and told service manager I would not accept the car until it was repaired. Showed him copies of multiple on-line reports of same problem and told him his rep had lied during my previous visit about Ford not knowing of any previous reported problems. Service manager replied that "on-line reports are not always real", but said he would have his best mechanic check my car. Mechanic found defective throttle body housing and replaced. Have not had recurrence of the engine failure.

- Walnut Creek, CA, USA

Nov 162012

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that while traveling 62 mph, the vehicle suddenly stalled. The contact was able to merge to the side of the road to restart the vehicle. The vehicle seemed to be functioning normally when the failure recurred. The vehicle was able to be driven to the contact's destination and was not taken to a mechanic. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was contacted about the issue. The failure and current mileages were 56,000.

- Belvidere, IL, USA

Nov 112012

Fusion 6-cyl

Driving normal for around an hr then all of a sudden a lighted wrench shows on dash and the accelerator does not engage properly and car feels like it is very rough and low idle. Power brakes and power steering work fine and can pull over but was in a turnaround for a highway access rd. Turned vehicle off and turned it back on again and it worked ok. Next day it happened twice, one of those times just from the start of turning on vehicle and trying to leave parking lot of work, and second time was on a 45mph rd which felt dangerous. Same thing accelerator stopped working and it coasted down till I could put in park and turn of vehicle and turn back on. It does not work if you are coasting and put it in neutral and turn off and on as the problem is still there. Afraid of it happening on highway. Seems like a software or sensor issue with throttle body as when you do give it gas on the peddle it feels like the throttle plate is blocked or trying to open up but not enough to go just small weak spurts.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Sep 122012

Fusion 6-cyl

It has happened before to my wife on two other occasions. So I took the car out and drove it around and was coming back home and after turning onto our rode and got up to 45 mph the wrench light and the check engine light came on and loss all power. Step on the gas pedal and there was nothing. Rolled over to the shoulder and put in park and waited for a couple of minutes and restarted it. Went about another 300 yards and it did it again. Did some research on the internet and Ford has been having this problem with the Fusion and there other cars like the escape. They all came down to the throttle body being bad and had to be replaced. But my question is if they have been having this problem for awhile why hasn't Ford or someone put a recall on these throttle body's. this can cause a serious accident if a person is going down the highway and this occurs the person could be possibly rear ended.

- Mcdonough, GA, USA

Jul 282012

Fusion 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that while driving 70 mph, the wrench warning light illuminated on the instrument panel. There was also an increase in the engine rpms and the engine lost some of its power. The contact was able to maneuver to the shoulder and the vehicle towed to a dealer. The dealer was able to start the vehicle and perform a test drive. The dealer informed the contact that there was nothing wrong with the vehicle. The failure and current mileages were 23,000. Updated 8/31/12 the consumer stated the vehicle duplicated the failure on August 2nd at 23,500. The dealership in knoxville replaced the throttle body. The failure did not recur. Updated 09/11/2012

- Knoxville, TN, USA