Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2011 Fusion builds off the 2010's reputation. That's not a good thing.

2011 Ford Fusion engine problems

2011 Ford Fusion Owner Comments (Page 3 of 13)

Mar 122014

Fusion 4-cyl

After about 3 weeks of having the vehicle it started having a hard time starting it would take 3 or 4 times before the vehicle would actually start, this has been going on since 3/12/2014 then on May 9th, 2014 I was going to ft wayne and I lost power in the vehicle pulled over sit for a few minutes (and was lucky I was able to pull over on the interstate) after sitting for about 10 to 15 minutes then the vehicle started. I was late arriving to where I was going after the event I get in my car it takes 5 times to start, after the vehicle starting I head to the interstate it is 11pm I stop for a cup of coffee get back in my car and it will not start it back fires I let it sit for about 30 minutes after 3 attempts of trying the vehicle starts and I head for home. I call the southworth Ford in marion Indiana and now they are telling me that they need to do a diagnostics test and it will cost me $80 to see what is wrong and if there is a recall. (I have already talked to someone and they told me there is a recall of the electronic throttle body) and now another person is telling me it will be $80 to determine what is wrong with the vehicle. I need this fixed!!!! my son is getting ready to leave for afghanistan this is the reason I bought the vehicle so that I could go and see him off and I will be having a 10 hour drive. (I paid cash for this vehicle) and now they want to charge me for a recall? please help so I can see my soldier off for his 2nd tour.......

- Marion, IN, USA

Apr 282014

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Fusion. The contact stated while traveling at various speeds, the vehicle stalled without warning. The service engine warning illuminated. The failure recurred multiple times intermittently. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 16,000.

- West Palm Beach, FL, USA

May 012014

Fusion 4-cyl

2011 Ford Fusion. Consumer writes in regards to throttle body problems. The consumer received a letter from Ford stating he could possibly experience a sudden reduction of engine power. The consumer believed a recall should be issued, instead of issuing warranty extension.

- Durand, WI, USA

Apr 252014

Fusion 6-cyl

Vehicle over accelerated when coming to a stop. I put both feet on brakes and shifted into park/neutral (has happened several times) and car accelerates to over 7000 RPM and automatically goes back down to normal. I have had the throttle body & motor assembly replaced (4/28/2014) yet it happened again immediately upon initial drive from Ford dealership. Dealership kept my car for 3 additional days and then advised that they could find nothing wrong and I was told (sales general manager) that what I was reporting to them "could not happen".

- Manlius, NY, USA

Apr 132014

While driving our car, my wife (along with my 9 month old baby girl) experienced a sudden loss of power and shaking engine. The car was not drivable so she pulled onto a side street and parked the car, leaving them stranded. No engine warning lights ever came on. This is exactly as described (minus the lack of check engine light) in the "Ford customer satisfaction program 13N03" letter that we received a few months ago. This is an intermittent problem, so we were able to take the car in to the Ford dealer. Our local Ford dealer was not able to pull a code as the check engine light never came on. The dealer, and Ford customer service, refuse to replace the throttle body until the code for malfunctioning throttle body is read. My wife and infant daughter must now drive around (twice a day, 5 days a week) waiting for it to fail again, and take the car to the dealer at the time of malfunction. This is a major safety concern as the car will barely move and shakes so badly. It should not be driven across the city to the dealership in this condition, especially with a baby in the car. Ford needs to recall these parts and replace them all to stop putting customers in danger with cars that barely move. As for the "customer satisfaction program"? not feeling very satisfied at all...

- Jamestown, NY, USA

Feb 152014

Fusion 6-cyl

During normal driving conditions and speed, the car just stopped being responsive to the acceleration pedal without warning, the maintenance wrench light came on, and the car started slowing down. I was able to turn on the hazard lights and pull over to a safe location, while cars were pulling up behind me very quickly. As the car was left idling it became very rough, like the car was missing. To correct the problem, I had to turn off the car, wait thirty seconds to a minute and start the car again. The car started a little rough but returned to normal operation. The maintenance wrench light was not illuminated and no other warning lights illuminated. This has happened twice so far about a month apart. The first time this happened the vehicle was less than three years old and only had 23,214 miles on it. Luckily both times it happened on a local street and not on a highway. I consider this a safety and reliability problem. You have no idea when your car is going to just stop accelerating as you are driving.

- Twinsburg, OH, USA

Jan 032014

Fusion 6-cyl

I was driving home from work and turn left at 25 mph. I suddenly lost the ability to accelerate and a wrench service light came on. I had to pull over and turn the car off. It took a while to start again. It happens everytime I take the car out and now shifts really rough. I took it to dealer and they said they know about the problem but will not replace part under warranty. The throttle body need to be replaced. It is just a matter of time before someone gets hurt. Please act quickly. I think this should be a safety recall.

- El Paso, TX, USA

Nov 122013

Fusion 4-cyl

While driving, vehicle suddenly lost power. Rpms dropped and vehicle slowed to only a few mile per hour. Vehicle would not accelerate. Vehicle had to be towed to dealership, and I was informed it was a throttle body issue. I was informed this is a common issue, and there might be a recall. If this had occurred on the freeway, it could has been disastrous.

- Detroit, MI, USA

Dec 112013

I was driving on the highway, first my check engine light came on, then I drove a little farther and the wrench light came on and the car powered down to 5 mph. I had it towed and took it to the dealership today, and they are telling me that its the throttle body. I see all these complaints and it enrages me that something has not been done about this, I could have cause a major accident due to trying to get over to the side of the road. They need to hurry up and do a recall so someone else doesnt get stuck having to shell out $420 dollars like I did.

- El Paso, TX, USA

Dec 082013

Fusion 4-cyl

Vehicle was being driven slowly to parking area when it suddenly accelerated and engine kept revving up and it lunged forward and crashed into a large tree, demolishing the front end. The Ford parts performed exactly as they should have, preventing damage to the windshield or cabin area, but airbags did not deploy. The driver was not injured but was shaken up by the accident. Upon inspection by the body shop and mechanic, the linkage was broken and damaged and needs further investigation to see if a defect in the linkage was a cause or contributing factor. Damage to the front end is substantial and estimated in excess of $8,000 with the seen damage thus far.

- Greensboro, NC, USA

Dec 022013

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that while driving approximately 60 mph, the wrench warning icon illuminated as the vehicle lost power. The vehicle was taken to the dealer however, the technician was unable to diagnose the failure. The manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was 50,000.

- Arvada, CO, USA

Nov 272013

Traveling 70 mph on the highway and lost power with no warning. Coasted to a stop with engine at a rough idle only. Accelerator pedal had no effect on engine RPM. Had vehicle towed the my Ford dealership which diagnosed a failed "drive by wire" throttle body. I only have 37,400 miles on the car and yes 1,400 past the warranty (convenient $ for Ford). This failed component at 70 mph on the highway caused several moments of anxiety until I got safely off the road.

- Grand Rapids, MI, USA

Aug 012013

Fusion 6-cyl

Sudden decrease of power followed by total shut down (similar to being totally out of gas). Gas tank was almost full each time this occurred.

- Grand Prairie, TX, USA

Nov 152013

I was driving downtown and next thing I know my wrench light comes on and I lose all power to my Ford Fusion. I was scared because I didn't know what was going on. I couldn't do anything until I pulled off the road and shut my car off and restarted it. This problem has happened to me multiple times within the past 3 weeks. I would have to say its happened at least 15 times in those 3 weeks. I am starting to get annoyed with this problem because I took the car to the dealership and they constantly tell me nothing is wrong with my car, yet I know there is definitely something wrong. The problem happened again on 11/26/2013 and when it did my check engine light came on with the wrench light so I took it to autozone for them to check the engine light code and the code was P2111 and the description it gave was that the throttle actuator control system was stuck open. I now have proof to take to the Ford dealership that something is wrong with the car. They better fix this problem!

- Alamogordo, NM, USA

Nov 202013

I was on the freeway driving approximately 65 mph and the car just suddenly shut off. I managed to coast off the freeway and was able to start it back up but shut off again two blocks down the road. It continued to shut off all the way to my mechanics shop. My mechanic found the issue to be with the throttle body. I had the throttle body replaced. He advised me that if the issue persisted that I would have to go to Ford dealer to have the powertrain control module reprogrammed.

- Waddell, AZ, USA

Nov 202013

I was driving on the freeway when suddenly the vehicle lost speed completely and the wrench light turned on. I was fortunate enough to be driving fast enough and in the right lane and so was able to exit the freeway but the vehicle was extremely slow, not even 1mph. It did begin to shake while slowing down. This is an extremely dangerous malfunction. Had I been in the left lane it would have been impossible to remove myself off the freeway safely. This is an issue that must be addressed.

- Carson , CA, USA

Nov 192013

Driving on freeway the car went limp and lost speed without responding to gas pedal. The wrench light came on at the time it happened. This happened twice, first time yesterday on the freeway, second time today while on freeway going to work. Once I was able to pull over and stop the engine, it car started up again and ran.

- Carlsbad, CA, USA

Nov 162013

Fusion 6-cyl

The error occurred as I was driving on a major 8-lane highway. I was about a quarter-mile from my exit (after being on the highway for 60 miles) when I felt a "clunk" and an orange-lit wrench appeared on my dash. As I turned onto the exit ramp, I slowed to a stop at a stop-light, waiting to turn left. While the brake was depressed, the car was attempting to move forward very abruptly, as part of it's "limp home" feature. When the light turned green, I released the brake and attempted to accelerate through the intersection, but pressing the gas pedal produced no response from the car. After limping through the intersection, I shifted the car into park and turned the engine off. After waiting 10-15 seconds, I restarted the car and the throttle issue and dash light were both gone. I have since driven ~100 miles without seeing the issue re-appear.

- Carlsbad, CA, USA

Oct 292013

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that while driving 65 mph, the vehicle stalled. The contact mentioned that the battery and oil warning lamps illuminated. The vehicle was towed to the dealer where the technician diagnosed that the air flow sensor failed and needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was repaired. The failure mileage was 96,540 and the current mileage was 99,448.

- Williamston, MI, USA

Nov 132013

Fusion 4-cyl

Driving down highway, car loses power like it wasn't pulling, luckily I was in slow lane on highway, when I got over to shoulder of 2 lane highway the wrench on dashboard lit up & car died, after sitting for 5--7 minutes it cranked back up and I was able to take to Ford dealership. I am not real happy after reading all the problems people are having. I usually take my 5 yr old grandson to daycare in morning so after this I am kinda leary of driving this car. If I had have been in the fast lane on this highway I would have had a harder time getting out of traffic and probably hit by another car or an 18 wheeler. Thank god I did not have my grandson with me. After this I seriously think I need to get rid of this vehicle.

- Marshall, TX, USA