CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2011 Fusion builds off the 2010's reputation. That's not a good thing.

2011 Ford Fusion engine problems

2011 Ford Fusion Owner Comments (Page 5 of 13)

Sep 252013

Fusion 6-cyl

This has happened multiple times varying from accelerating from a stop to highway speeds of 55+ mph. 2011 Ford Fusion sel suddenly loses all power and wrench icon illuminates and no acceleration happens at all. The engine remains at idle with fluctuations. Had to cross multiple lanes and was almost ran into by cars going a lot faster than me while I was movingto the emergency lane. Once car is turned off and restarted the problem will go away. After much research and the one time it showed a check engine light I ran the codes and it all was pointing to a defective throttle body. I noticed that there are a lot of complaints with this aspect on this car and just hope someone doesn't have to get killed on the road.

- Philadelphia, PA, USA

Sep 252013

Fusion

This has happened multiple times varying from accelerating from a stop to highway speeds of 60+ mph. 2011 Ford Fusion sel suddenly loses all power and wrench icon illuminates and no acceleration happens at all. The engine remains at idle with fluctuations from 800-1200 rpms. Had to cross multiple lanes and was almost ran into by three cars going a lot faster than me while I was listing to the emergency lane. Once car is turned off and restarted the problem will go away. After much research and the one time it showed a check engine light I ran the codes and it all was pointing to a defective throttle body. I noticed that there are a lot of complaints with this aspect on this car and just hope someone doesn't have to get killed on the road like I almost did to get a recall on this car and part.

- Atlanta, GA, USA

Jul 302012

Fusion

The car continuously goes limp at highway speeds and also while in traffic. It is intermittent but has occurred over 50 times. There are times where it will die on me a dozen times in a 10 mile drive. The wrench and emissions warning lights go on and I lose all ability to accelerate but do not lose electrical power and the engine does not turn off. Restarting the vehicle temporarily fixes it, but also clears the warning lights so my mechanic cannot diagnose the problem. It is so dangerous and just a matter of time until I get in an accident. There are no warning signs before it happens and no remedy other than restarting, whether on the highway or in the middle of an intersection.

- Portsmouth, NH, USA

Sep 192013

Fusion

When coming to a stop, my car began to severely shake back and forth. It posed a danger risk for myself and my kids. Fortunately, I was able to get to the side of the road in time, because it seemed that my car was about to crash into the car in front of me. I have been told by the dealership that it is a throttle body issue and is not covered under the warranty.

- Williamstown, WV, USA

Sep 202013

Fusion

Was driving on a local road, speed limit was 35mph, I was slowing down to stop at a red light then it turned green so I accelerated on the gas and then the vehicle started to lose power and and did not want to go and started acting like it was going to stall, so I pulled over parked and turned the vehicle off and then waited a few minutes and turn the car back on and the car seemed fine and I was able to drive again, this has happened at least 3 times in since then and I was told it was the throttle body that needed to be replaced, I am going to replaced it and hopefully it will do the trick. I heard that this is also a problem with other Ford cars and is currently under investigation for a recall, I hope this letter helps with getting a recall submitted.

- Bessemer City, NC, USA

Sep 182013

Fusion

My wife was driving and I was her passenger on miller park highway on the 18th when all of a sudden the car jerks forward on us, it starts sputtering like it was going to choke out, my wife then tried to get on the should when she noticed that the cars accelerator went all the way to the floor without any response from the car. Traffic was flying by us as the cars engine brake continued to slow us way way down. We were able to use the brakes. My wife finally got over to the side, turned on her hazards and turn off the car. We both sat on the side off roadway and I had to calm down my wife due to the fact hat she thought she was going to be in an accident. After a few minutes we turned on the car and the "wrentch" alert re-set itself and we were able to drive. My wife and I used to feel safe in our Ford Fusion, but unfortunately now we don't have any safe feelings after everything that our car has gone through ( blew out engine due to failed bearings, the trans slips all the time on us, etc etc ). we both truely loved this car, but now......

- West Allis, WI, USA

Jul 142013

Fusion

Was going just going down a residential street and a warning light came on and my car started surging and running rough and basically just stopped. I turned it off and let it sit a bit and then it restarted and the warning light was off and drove fine. One month later this happend again in town and approximately at the same speed. I figured I would have them check it as the owners manual stated to do if it happened more than once when I got my oil changed. About 3 weeks after the 2nd incident and 2 months after the 1st, I was on the interstate going 65 mph and the light came on and it was as if I was not getting any power, the accelerator didnt do anything and I had to pull over to the shoulder in heavy traffic. Again I turned the car off let it sit a bit and continued on. My dealership is 10 miles from my home, as I was taking the car in to get checked and the oil changed the incident happened 2 times in this 10 mile distance in interstate traffic and again I had to pull off onto the shoulder in heavy traffic just to get to dealership. It happened 3 times in a 3 day period. They said this was not covered under the powertrain warranty and my car only has 54000 miles on it and it was $500 to fix.

- Ankeny, IA, USA

Sep 182013

Fusion 6-cyl

I was driving home going 45 mph when my car stalled without warning. When I tried to give it gas, it started jumping and jerking the wrench light came on. I was able inch by inch to move my car to the adjacent turning lane, turn on my flashers and call my husband on my cell phone. He was on his way home also and pulled up behind me. He tried to give it gas too but it would not budge. He turned the ignition off and then cranked the car. The wrench light went off and the car had power - just like turning it off had reset something. We were only a couple of miles from our house, so he drove by 2011 Ford Fusion home and I followed in his truck. I then called my dealer, jim tidwell Ford on barrett parkway and told them what had happened. They suggested that I call a wrecker and have it towed to their location as driving the car might due further damage or the incident might re-occur. So, that's what I did. A service technician called me first thing this morning and I went over what had happened with him. He called me this afternoon and said my car was ready for pick up. The problem was the throttle body and motor assembly and since it was under warranty there would be no charge to me. I can't believe Ford isn't declaring a recall on this part. If I had been on the expressway, I feel certain I would have been rear ended. This problem will cause someone to get killed. I'm just lucky no one hit me. It happened so suddenly and without warning. This type of situation will make you fall out of love with your Ford product. I don't believe I will ever buy a Ford product again, even though I prefer to buy american products.

- Acworth, GA, USA

Sep 072013

Fusion 4-cyl

I was driving on a main thoroughfare going about 45 mph when my vehicle lost all power and slowed down to about 2 mph. The car began sputtering and shaking so I had to immediately get off the road and turn the car off. I waited for a few minutes and started it again, but it would not go over 2 mph. A family member happened to be behind me and had to help me get off road with traffic passing by us. He thought perhaps I had water in the gas so we bought an additive to see if it helped, and it seemed to work for about a week and a half, but then it happened again two more times. This time the service engine light came on as well. I went to an auto parts store where they tested it and got an error code of P2111. I had to go the Ford dealership where I was told that the throttle body needed to be replaced. I have a friend who had this exact same issue with her Ford Fusion just a few months back. She paid over $500 to get hers repaired and I had to pay about $400 to get mine repaired. I understand that this seems to be an issue, and I believe Ford needs to issue a recall.

- Fern Park, FL, USA

Sep 172013

Fusion

I was traveling at a rate of 65 on the highway. The car started to slow down and would not accelerate. I was able to move over to the left hand shoulder of the highway. The "wrench" symbol displayed on the dash. I turned the car off, turned on hazard lights. I waited a few minutes started the car up and was able to travel to the dealership. The dealership diagnosed the problem as a faulty throttle body codes P2111 P2112. The throttle body was replaced and the vehicle appears to be running well now. This was a huge safety concern. My 9 year old son was in the backseat. Thank goodness we were able to make it to the shoulder of the highway. I did not receive any advance warnings from the vehicle prior to it refusing to accelerate.

- Manor, TX, USA

Sep 052013

Fusion

Car stalled while on highway. Because of traffic, speed was approximately 40 mph. With no power/ acceleration, driver turned on hazards and maneuvered to left shoulder. Car was shut down and restarted. Problem recurred. Car was towed to nearest dealer. Throttle body was replaced and problem has not recurred.

- Novi, MI, USA

Sep 042012

Fusion

While driving in the center lane on the southbound I-5 freeway my 2011 Ford Fusion began to feel like it was driving through mud and lost acceleration. When I attempted to compensate by accelerating the car, it resisted and continued to slow significantly. Thankfully traffic was not extremely heavy at the time and I was close to a freeway exit. I pulled to the right, avoiding oncoming traffic (barely) and coasted down the off ramp. By the time I got to the off ramp (about 10 seconds) the car had gone from 65 mph to less than 5 mph. If it wasn't for the momentum of the vehicle I would not have been able to make it and would have been at a dead stop in the middle of the freeway with oncoming traffic (and semi trucks) going between 60 and 75 mph. The engine was throbbing, the car was shaking, and I had no acceleration capability at all. I had enough momentum on the off ramp downslope to turn right and stop my vehicle at the side of the road. I called a tow truck and the car was taken to a dealership for repairs. I was told the throttle was the problem and it was replaced under warranty. Had timing not been exactly right, this problem could have caused a very serious or even deadly accident for me and for other drivers on the road. I have since learned about this ongoing issue online and wish I would have known at the time that it was a problem and known how / that I could submit a concern to the NHTSA.

- Santa Ana, CA, USA

Sep 102013

Fusion 4-cyl

Vehicle was getting up to speed at about 40-50 mph and upon depressing gas pedal combined with shifting of gears (automatic), engine stalled. Occurred twice with 5 miles on busy highway. Engine light and wrench light came on each time. After shutting down engine on shoulder, it started right back and ran fine for a while. Was fortunate with no traffic incident/accident either time. Occurred three more times before getting to dealership. Dealership service informed me that it was a throttle body issue and replaced the throttle body part it at my cost as the extended warranty did not cover it.

- Arlington, OH, USA

Jul 162013

Fusion 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that while driving 65 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. The contact was able to restart the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnosis where it was stated that the fuel filler needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired and the manufacturer was notified. The approximate failure mileage was 64,000. Updated 10/31/13 the vehicle was repaired at a cost of $390. Updated 11/12/13

- Arnold, MO, USA

Jul 162013

Fusion 4-cyl

Started the vehicle and began driving, the throttle died in the middle of an intersection. Had to restart car in intersection. The throttle returned momentarily. Slowly drove the vehicle at < 5mph (as all it would allow) to autozone. Received P2112 code: Throttle control stuck shut. Had to tow home. Relevant to this article and investigation: www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2013/02/25/probe-Ford-cars-SUVS-stalling/1945799/ have since paid for Ford to replace the throttle body. Am awaiting recall for reimbursement.

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Aug 292013

Fusion 4-cyl

Driving 70 mph down the highway and the motor simply cut off. Was fortunately able to make it to the emergency lane and come to a stop safely. Turned ignition off. Then turned the ignition on and the car immediately cranked back up. Drove to nearest gas station thinking maybe being low on gas with about 40 miles to empty was the issue. Filled up with gas and proceeded home. The next day, as we were beginning to take a trip, after turning onto the on ramp and started to accelerate to get onto the highway, the engine turned off again. Fortunately was able to get stopped before being hit from behind by the cars closely behind me that were accelerating to get on the highway as well or by the flowing traffic on the highway itself as I entered the busy highway, thus endangering the lives of my whole family and those persons of the vehicles that may have come in contact with my vehicle. Cranked car right back up and slowly proceeded to the Ford dealership. Where I was told that the mfi throttle body and motor assembly had to be replaced to correct the problem. This is failure is a danger to every Fusion driver and their occupants, as well as, anyone that is driving near them that could hit them in the rear or possibly hit them in the door killing the driver or occupants because the car will not accelerate though an intersection or onto a highway.

- Simpsonville, SC, USA

Aug 102013

Fusion 4-cyl

I left from my home in the early afternoon. The car had not been used since the previous evening. About 2 miles from my house I got onto a state route and started to go up a slight hill. I had accelerated up to approximately 45 mph and the engine started running really rough, then stalled. The check engine light lit up. It seemed to go down to idle with no response from engine while pushing the pedal. I glided to the side of the road and crested the hill, then let the engine sputter at around idle as I was able to put it in neutral and let gravity take me to the bottom of the hill where I could glide around the corner into a safe parking lot. I shut the car down, waited a minute and it started back up as though nothing had happened. The check engine light was clear. I have not tried to check to see if it stored any codes yet. I had experienced 2 previous events in the previous 2 weeks with this car. The car has been serviced regularly.

Sep 112013

Fusion 4-cyl

My wife was driving down the highway and the engine bucked and seemed to stall, then recovered. The previous week it had stalled completely. Shortly after it stalled while I was driving it again and did not recover.

Aug 022013

Fusion 4-cyl

Drove a mile from our home to pick up pizza. Went into the shop for about 5 minutes, came out and started the car. Backed out of the space and pulled across a divided road to head home and the car sputtered and lost power so that I had to pull over to the side. The check engine light was lit. I shut down the car and it started right up and the check engine light was clear. It repeated this issue again about 1 week later on the highway for my wife though recovered. Then again for me while accelerating up a state route but did not recover.

Sep 122013

Fusion 6-cyl

I have been sensing a surge in engine power for several months in my 2011 Fusion. I suspected a throttle body problem and googled for information. I found all of the information on the NHTSA website about throttle body problems for this car as well as information in other forums. It was a good thing as I was prepared for what happened today. I had just left my house when the dreaded (and expected) loss of engine power with the wrench light being illuminated. I experienced the same symptoms reported by so many complaints logged for this issue: Loss of power, rough idle, just enough power to barely move the car, certainly not enough to limp anywhere, much less home, even though the engine was in "limp home" mode. I had my code scanner with me and was able to retrieve the P2111 (throttle stuck open) code before I restarted the car to restore full power. This only worked enough to get the car turned around when limp home was triggered again. I restarted again and was able to get within a block of my house when limp home triggered once more. The third time I was able to get to my house. I called the dealer and then roadside assistance to get my car towed to the local Ford dealer after verifying that they had a throttle body in stock. The car was towed there and a defective throttle body was diagnosed and replaced. This is not a case of if the failure will happen, but rather when. I was fully expecting it any day and sure enough, it happened. I was extremely fortunate as I was less than a mile from home, knew what to expect and how to deal with it, and my car was still in warranty, but only by 1,806 miles! any other situation would have resulted in me being in a very dangerous predicament with a car that was basically dead in the water. I was almost to the point of purchasing a new throttle body on my own in the interest of being proactive rather than being stranded.

- Little Rock, AR, USA