CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2011 Fusion builds off the 2010's reputation. That's not a good thing.

2011 Ford Fusion engine problems

2011 Ford Fusion Owner Comments (Page 8 of 13)

Aug 032013

Fusion 4-cyl

On Saturday, I was driving out from a complex making a left turn into traffic when my vehicle abruptly slammed stopped at a green light. I put on my hazards and noticed a wrench signal popped on. I put the car in park and turned the vehicle off, then started it back. The vehicle turned on again. I was lucky I was not rear-ended. I drove home and decided not to drive the car until I took it to nearest dealer. Monday morning, I got into vehicle headed to the dealer and again driving out of my complex, the code popped on, vehicle sputtered and stopped. I turned it off then on again. It started and I headed to the dealer close by with hazards on. My vehicle was diagnosed needing throttle body totaling $585. Mind you my vehicle is two years old.

- Brownstown, MI, USA

Jul 082013

Fusion

While driving on I-95 South approximately 65-70 mph in moderately heavy traffic, at exit 180, the car sounded like it dropped out of gear while accelerating. I was able to merge to the shoulder of the highway. The car continued coasting and the "wrench light" appeared. The car would not accelerate at all. When stopped, the car rattled and idled very hard and was shaking. The service engine light came on. I turned the car off and I waited a few minutes and cranked the car back and all was fine, wrench light and service engine light was off. This has happened 6 more times since July 8th 2013, yesterday it happened 4 times in the 1 hour, almost got slammed by two 18 wheeler trucks. This really should be a recall due to this type of situation can get people killed.

- Dillon, SC, USA

Aug 022013

Fusion 6-cyl

Vehicle lost engine power and would not accelerate. Vehicle was maneuvered to the road side where it was shut off for 1 minute. Upon restart, vehicle drove and accelerated normally. After driving for 5 minutes, vehicle again lost engine power and would not accelerate. Vehicle was again maneuvered to the road side and shut off for 1 minute. Upon restart, vehicle drove and accelerated normally. Condition was experienced three times the same day. ECU stored code for throttle control system.

- Nashville, TN, USA

Jul 122013

Fusion 6-cyl

I was braking because someone in front of me was turning right. When they turned and I let off the brake, I gave it gas to go. I didn't go after flooring it, and the car started bucking and jerking like crazy. It was in rush hour traffic. Thanks be to god that I was right by a Ford dealership. It was a very dangerous situation to be in when your throttle goes completely out. That's what the problem was...I need a new throttle body. That could have easily cause an accident. I've read on line where several people have experienced the same issue with the Ford Fusion SE 3.0L V6. I firmly believe this is a matter that Ford needs to correct. This is a situation that could have ended very badly had I been on a freeway/highway. I have never submitted something to you before. Please do something! no one needs to get hurt. When your throttle goes out when you're driving it, it's a potential deadly consequence.

- Rogersville, MO, USA

Aug 012013

Fusion 6-cyl

While driving at highway speeds, my Ford Fusion accelerator became unresponsive. It was as if the car shifted into neutral. There was no shoulder and I was forced to come to a complete stop on the highway. After a brief internet search, it was apparent this is a very big problem for Ford Fusion and Ford has done nothing to fix the problem. The malfunctioning part was specifically the throttle body.

- Sherwood , AR, USA

Dec 142010

Fusion

The vehicle will stop at random and will not move again until you put the vehicle in park and restart the vehicle. It has repeated several times and is getting worse. Today the car stalled 4 times.

- Fayetteville, NC, USA

Jun 062013

Fusion

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that while driving 70 mph, the vehicle stalled with the illumination of the check engine light. The vehicle was not repaired and the manufacturer was notified. The approximate failure mileage was 60,000.

- Quicksburg, VA, USA

Jul 052013

Fusion 4-cyl

I drive on freeway and light came on. And I couldn't accelerate. My rpms dropped and so I need pulled off several cars need to brake because my speed reduce to fast and put me on dangerous situation.

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

Jul 272013

Fusion 6-cyl

Two days in a row my 2011 Ford Fusion stalled and an error symbol of a wrench appeared on the instrument panel. I coasted to curb, turned the car off and then restarted. Vehicle then resumed normal operation. In both cases I was at an intersection and fortunately the vehicles behind me were able to drive around me.

- Elk Grove, CA, USA

Jul 272013

Fusion 6-cyl

While driving at a highway speed of 65 mph, vehicle suddenly lost all ability to accelerate and the wrench light on the dash became illuminated. Driver was in outer fast lane of the interstate and had to proceed to change several lanes with no acceleration in order to remove the vehicle from the highway as quickly as possible. When the vehicle came to a complete stop, the engine rpms started to rev up and down continuously.

- Chesapeake, VA, USA

Jul 262013

Fusion 4-cyl

Driving at 60mph vehicle lost all engine power but remained running. Luckily I was in the right lane and near a exit. I coasted down the exit and turned into first street I could get to. Tried to accelerate but no power. Turned car off then back on. Everything appeared to be normal. Preceded to get back on the road I had just exited, not even a mile down the road it did it again. It did it to me 7 more times before I made it home. In the process of making my way home, stopped at the dealership to see if they could run a diagnostics but they didn't have time. Appt for Monday. But after reading all the complaints sounds like throttle body issues. This could had been extremely bad situation had I had been on I-35 as I live in the area of I-35 that is the deadliest stretch. NHTSA you need to force Ford to recall these cars before someone dies. Its preventable and I say you and Ford should be held accountable when someone does die. And another issue I recently had to get fixed was the purge valve and fuel canister which after reading seems to be an issue as well. Come on Ford do the right thing. Is even one life worth losing?

- Temple, TX, USA

Jul 242013

Fusion

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that while driving 60 mph, the vehicle independently decelerated to 2 mph in less then ten seconds. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer for inspection or repairs. The failure and current mileages were 44,700.

- Farmingdale , NY, USA

Dec 292012

Fusion 4-cyl

As I was driving down a crowded highway the vehicle lost power and refused to accelerate. It was later determined that the throttle body had malfunctioned.

- Corpus Christi, TX, USA

Jul 032013

Fusion 6-cyl

While driving on the freeway the car went an idle speed forcing me to get off of the freeway at reduced speed. Tried to restart car several times. Would only idle rough. Let it sit 1/2 hour waiting for aaa ran ok after another restart. Repeated several times since. Once I was stalled in the middle of a traffic controlled intersection. Was told I need a new throttle body and they are back ordered could take 6 weeks before one would be available because of long list of orders. This says it is a major design/manufacture fault/issue. I feel it should be recalled and replaced free if there are that many issues with this item.

- Oconomowoc, WI, USA

Jul 222013

Fusion 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that while driving approximately 55 mph, the engine stalled with the illumination of the wrench warning indicator. The contact was able to restart the vehicle thirty minutes later but the engine rpms increased drastically as the engine exhibited a loud roar. The vehicle was powered off and restarted a second time. The vehicle then resumed normally. The vehicle was neither diagnosed nor repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the defect. The approximate failure mileage was 37,000. Updated 09/05/13

- Acushnet, MA, USA

Jul 112013

Fusion

I wanted to contact you about a serious safety issue in my 2011 Ford Fusion. I took it in for service in January 2013 and was told that the throttle body needed replaced after my car stalled a few times. I was told then the throttle body was backordered. I tried again in June and was told that this is a common problem and they are still backordered. After that, I was told that I could simply take the key out and put it back in after it stalled and it would be fine. And they were backordered from Ford. On July 11th, the car stalled at the corner of I-70 and I-270 in columbus while traveling at 65mph. I pulled off to the side of the road and reset the car. While trying to get off the road, I went off the road to avoid any other cars as their was construction and no shoulder. After restarting it, I got back onto the road and the car stalled and I wasn't able to make it back off the road and nearly was hit by a semi from behind. The car stalled a minimum of ten times during rush hour.

- Hilliard, OH, USA

Jul 102013

Fusion

I was traveling about 45mph when the car just shut off. Had to coast to side of the side of the road almost got rear ended. This has happened at least three more times in less than a week. The service department claims to know nothing about this problem. I'm sure the service managers are told to act dumb about this issue. I have read that other people have had this same issue. What will it take to get action, someone hurt or killed??

- Beverly Hills, FL, USA

Jul 182013

Fusion 6-cyl

***note: This started in May 2013 happened 3 times. Dealership replace an intake sensor and then it happened again as listed below. This is putting me and my daughters in danger everytime this happens without prior warning. ---------------------------------------- July 19, 2013 @ 3:29 am: Without warning this time the "check engine" indicator came on, the car made a weird noise like a dying rumble/purring noise as it became silent and all power left. -she put the care in "P? park -started the engine and it acted normal -------------------------------------- July 19, 2013 @3:28 am: Without warning the ?throttle control/transmission? indicator lit up, the car became silent and all power left. -she put the care in ?P? park -started the engine and it acted normal ------------------------------------------- July 19, 2013 @ 1:20 am : without warning the ?throttle control/transmission? indicator lit up, the car became silent and all power left. -she put the care in ?P? park -started the engine and it acted normal ---------------------------------------------------------- July 18, 2013 @4:30 pm: Without warning the ?throttle control/transmission? indicator lit up, the car became silent and all power left. -she put the care in ?P? park ".I was in the back seat & instructed her what to do. -started the engine and it acted normal ***** Ford dealership service technicians could not find or duplicate the problem. The issue escalated to the Ford engineers. They determined that it was something like the massive intake air flow sensor and installed a new one ( Ford part: Fp 3L3Z-128579-ba sensor assy) June 13 just prior to my business trip on June 17,2013.

- Eugene, OR, USA

Jan 012013

Fusion 6-cyl

Driving on the highway at a rate of 70 mph with traffic behind and ahead of me, I lost power and the car went into limp mode. The wrench light and check engine light went on. I could no longer speed up and began to lose speed (rather quickly I might add) the car immediately behind me came very close to colliding with me! I couldn't go faster than 30 mph and had to pull over on the shoulder of the highway. I turned the car off and when I tried to turn it back on, it took an oddly longer amount of time to turn on. (like holding the key turned in the ignition) then sitting at a traffic light, when I started to go when it turned green, I was going 5 mph and the RPM's shot up to 3000 RPM! under 40 mph, it was up near 3000 RPM! Ford, please examine this again! this is dangerous! why wait until an accident actually happens?

- Robbinsville, NC, USA

Jul 162013

Fusion

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that while traveling at unknown speeds, the vehicle suddenly stalled. The vehicle was moved to the shoulder where it was restarted. The vehicle resumed normal function. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was contacted about the failure. The failure mileage was 72,000.

- New Millford, CT, USA