CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2011 Fusion builds off the 2010's reputation. That's not a good thing.

2011 Ford Fusion engine problems

2011 Ford Fusion Owner Comments (Page 11 of 12)

Aug 152012

Fusion 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that while driving approximately 35 mph in rainy weather, the wrench and engine warning lights illuminated. The contact stated that the vehicle would not accelerate when depressing the accelerator pedal. The contact shut the engine off and restarted the vehicle without failure. The failure recurred intermittently as the contact drove at various speeds but only in rainy weather. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 52,000.

- Quicksburg, VA, USA

Feb 072013

Fusion 6-cyl

On the morning of February 7th 2013, I noticed the vehicle's acceleration and deceleration was ridged and jumpy. Prior to this problem, the vehicle has shut off randomly approximately three times while in drive and in motion. This prompted me to bring the vehicle in for maintenance at a Ford dealer auto center. They determined the power takeoff unit and drive shaft were faulty, replaced both parts and returned the vehicle to me on February 15th 2013. On March 18th 2013, the vehicle shut off again while driving at highway speeds on a busy road, forcing me to navigate cautiously to a shoulder. The engine light and wrench light were illuminated this time. I shut the vehicle off, waited 5 minutes, and restarted. The engine light remained on and the vehicle was drivable. I quickly returned the vehicle to the previous Ford auto center, in which they discovered the throttle body was faulty. They replaced the throttle body and returned the car to me on March 21st 2013. On March 22nd 2013, the engine cover fell off while the car was in motion, I immediately returned vehicle to the previous Ford auto center, they replaced with new engine cover. As of today, the vehicle is again showing hesitation at acceleration and deceleration, RPM dash meter needle bounces plus minus 500rpms during acceleration and deceleration. Breaking is not smooth or instant, the vehicle tends to jump during breaking. At coasting speeds, the vehicle also jumps. These are similar problems that occurred prior to the vehicle spontaneously shutting off. This problem is alarming and an extreme safety hazard to yourself and others around you, notably at high highway speeds. Ford has been presented with the issue and has claimed that the issues are all unrelated, even though the vehicle shuts off each time. I am concerned for my safety and the safety of others driving this model, 2011 Ford Fusion sel AWD.

- Gainesville, VA, USA

May 312013

Fusion

The problem has to do with the gas pedal and throttle body. Merged on to highway, accelerated to speed, set cruise. A few seconds later, cruise disengaged and speed began dropping. When I pushed the gas pedal to attempt to accelerate, there was no response. It was if the car shut off but it hadn't. after I came to a stop and tried to start moving again, the gas pedal again had no response and I could only move at the speed the car pulled itself and it seemed to be lurching forward. I pulled over and this time shut the car off. When I restarted it, the problem was gone and it worked normally. The next day, same problem all over again, this time in town at about 30mph. Mechanic tells me it's a $468 repair. I'm only 6,000 miles past the warranty period. I was also told the parts are nationally out of stock, which is a good sign it's a known Ford defect.

- Logansport, IN, USA

May 302013

Fusion

I was driving home from school (this has happened before, just not as bad) and my car stopped responding. The wrench light came on and the check engine light came on. I was on a really busy road, so I had to pray that I would not get hit. I turned off the car, and tried to restart it, but it did not want to restart. I sat for a few seconds and was finally able to get it restarted. This happened numerous (probably 6-8 times) on my 12 mile trip home. I took it to the shop this morning and found out it is the throttle body. I just looked it up online and have found out this is a common issue, and that the dealerships (when the car is under warranty) act like they don't know what it wrong. This is not right. There needs to be a recall! I don't have a warranty now, and I took my car to the dealership before the warranty was up and they said there was nothing wrong with it multiple times!!!!

- Columbia, SC, USA

May 102013

Fusion 4-cyl

On Friday evening (5/10/2013), I had just exited the interstate when the wrench light came on and the car suddenly appeared to stall (engine was running, but had no acceleration). With traffic stacking up behind me, I managed to get the car off the road and turned it off. After sitting for a minute or two, I restarted the car and continued down the road. The car died again less than two miles later. Vehicle was taken to the dealer the on following Monday 5/13/2013 (after sitting all weekend). The dealer checked the car and determined the throttle body was bad. As of today, 5/26/2013, the car is still at the dealer waiting on a replacement part.

- Walton, KY, USA

May 232013

Fusion

While driving roughly 45 mph vehicle suddenly began shaking and dropped speed quickly and drastically to less than 15 mph. This happened repeatedly after turning car off and back on. Car would still run no problems under 25.

- Scottsdale , AZ, USA

May 132013

Fusion 6-cyl

I was on the expressway with the cruise set at 72. The car itself shut off the cruise and began immediately de-accelerating. Pressing the gas pedal had no effect - the engine remained in idle. The wrench bar indicator lit up. I pulled off the side (huge potential safety issue had there been traffic around) and shut the car down in neutral. Restarted - same issue - would not accelerate - it was as if the throttle was disconnected. I put the car in park, shut down, waited 2 minutes, and restarted. All functioned normally. Ran the vehicle health report test and no indication was made of an electrical issue..

- Allenton, MI, USA

May 012012

Fusion 4-cyl Diesel

Anytime vehicle slows to a speed of approx. 20 mph.,it seems to want to stall then seconds later without touching gas pedal, speeds up and accelerates. I have had the vehicle in for service to village Ford / dearborn Michigan and they continually tell me no problem is detected. I have had several individuals drive my vehicle and have experienced the same issue. I have also located an article from my local news chanel wxyz speaking of this issue, stating it was not yet serious enough for recall. With Ford motor's history I would say this needs to be looked into before serious injury does occur.

- Dearborn, MI, USA

May 022013

Fusion 6-cyl

The car was traveling on the highway at the speed of 70 mph when it just stopped responding to the gas pedal being pressed. The car came almost to a complete stop and was lucky enough to make it to the side of the rode. The car was almost hit by a truck which swerved into the median to avoid hitting the car. With the car alongside the rode it would not start. The throttle body had failed.

- Flowery Branch , GA, USA

Apr 252013

Fusion 6-cyl

Was driving 2011 Ford Fusion then shut down to idle, no power, almost got re ended, pulled over and put in park turned off and restarted problem was gone but recurred less than 2 tenths of mile. Repeated steps with caution floored gas peddle but still happen. Autozone checked it and cleared the computer. Happen right away after leaving. Called Ford could not repair because no codes. Problem came back 5 days later. At intersection light change green car did same thing, stuck in middle on intersection. Put in park and restart was hard to start. Red light now just got out of traffic way. Car is at Ford now. This is a very bad safety feature and will cause an accident sooner or later. Ford said they have had a few problems but no recall.

- Johnson City, TN, USA

Apr 262013

Fusion

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that while driving 60 mph, the vehicle stalled. The contact was able to restarted the vehicle several minutes later. The contact took the vehicle to a dealer for diagnostic testing and the test results determined that there was a defective throttle body assembly. The dealer replaced the throttle body assembly. The failure mileage was 40,000. The VIN was not available.

- Virginia Beach, VA, USA

Feb 012013

Fusion

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that the speed control warning light was illuminated. The engine rpms then increased excessively as the vehicle accelerated independently and stalled. The vehicle was inspected by the dealer and the throttle body was replaced however, the failure recurred. The vehicle was taken to dealer a second time and the cause of failure was not determined. There were no further repairs. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 48,000. The current mileage was 52,369.

- Shrewsbury, MA, USA

Apr 142013

Fusion

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that while driving at 40 mph, the speed reduced rapidly and independently. The contact was almost unable to control the vehicle. The check engine warning light illuminated. The contact stopped at a shoulder where the vehicle was shutdown and restarted but the failure recurred several times. The vehicle was inspected by dealer. The contact repaired the vehicle on his own by replacing the throttle body. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure and current mileage was 50,743.

- Kissimmee, FL, USA

Apr 092013

Fusion

Driving on highway at 65 miles went car would lose power and couldn't accelerate and car started to shake when came to a stop, cut car off, waited a min, cut car on, took a couple extra cranks before turning over, and car worked fine this had happened 3 times and is very random and dangerous.

- Pompano Beach, FL, USA

Apr 022013

Fusion 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Fusion. The contact stated while at a stop light, the vehicle accelerated independently and crashed into the rear of another vehicle then continued accelerating until the contact put the vehicle in park. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was unavailable. Updated 06/07/13

- Atlanta, GA, USA

Oct 272011

Fusion 6-cyl

I had just purchased my 2011 Ford Fusion just over a month when I encountered my first stall on my way home from work. I was fully stopped at an intersection waiting for the stop light to turn green. I pressed down on the accelerator only to realize the engine was no longer running. The car behind me bumped into my back bumper anticipating I would be accelerating through the intersection. There was nothing on the dashboard indicating the engine had died. I put the car into park and was able to get it to start normally. I didn't have any further problems until about 6 months later in June 2012. The second time, I was turning right into a parking lot and as I made the turn and pressed down on the accelerator I discovered the car was coasting with the engine dead and the dashboard console lit up as if everything was still running normally. Again, I put the car into park and the engine started immediately and everything was back to normal again. The third time just happened in February 2013 when I again was stopped at a stop light. When the light turned green, I pressed down on the accelerator only to discover the engine was no longer running and no indication on the dashboard anything was wrong. I did the same thing and put the car in park and the engine started and everything returned to normal. For the first 2 times, the Ford dealership just shrugged their shoulders and said there wasn't anything they could do if they couldn't duplicate the problem. The 3rd time, they did a software update based on a bulletin from Ford the computer wasn't possibly shifting at the proper times which could possibly cause the engine to stall. So now I have to wait and see if the software update really fixed the problem or I will have the pleasure of experiencing another sudden surprise of having a zombie car that appears to be alive but isn't.

- Centennial, CO, USA

Feb 052013

Fusion

Car just stalled pulling out of a driveway.

- Quakertown, PA, USA

Jan 072013

Fusion 6-cyl

I bought this 2011 Ford Fusion at 40,000 miles and since it has been at 45,000 miles I been having stalling and idle problems. I thought I was going crazy until I seen an article in the news today. My car has stalled on the hwy to where on numerous occasions I have almost been hit. I have had to pull over and restart it. I also see the wrench when it happens. I also have been sitting still at lights to where my car would idle up real fast. My car also pops and gets stuck when I change gears. I hate this car. I just pray something gets done before someone really gets hurt including myself....

- Blue Springs, MO, USA

Sep 152011

Fusion 6-cyl

On a few separate occasions, while either sitting in traffic at a light or driving my 2011 Ford Fusion has stalled in the middle of traffic. It hasn't happened for a few months and there is no rhyme or reason to when it will happen. When the stalling occurs the car literally shuts down in the middle of traffic and I have to restart the car to proceed.

- Sioux City, IA, USA

Jan 202012

Fusion

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Fusion. The contact was driving approximately 65 mph uphill when a loud noise emitted outside of the vehicle with a sudden loss of engine power. The contact was able to coast to the shoulder where the vehicle was towed to an authorized dealer for diagnosis. The technician advised that the failure was contributed to the electronic throttle body. The faulty part was replaced. The manufacturer was not notified of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 33,658.

- Norwood, MO, USA