Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2011 Fusion builds off the 2010's reputation. That's not a good thing.

2011 Ford Fusion engine problems

2011 Ford Fusion Owner Comments (Page 1 of 12)

Oct 022016

In the last 24 hours my vehicle stalled on the freeway (I was almost rear-ended--this highway has a curb on both sides instead of shoulders) 4 times in 5 miles. The first time was as I was turning onto the highway from an intersection. Each time, I was unable to accelerate the car with the gas pedal. Each time, this was preceded by a lurching forward and a sluggish performance of the engine for about 1 second before the engine no longer powers the wheels. The wrench light comes on and I have to turn the car off and then turn it back on in order to be able to accelerate again. As I said, when I would accelerate, the engine would die, and this happened four times. When I restart the car, but before it dies again, the check engine light comes on. This is an issue with other 2011 Ford Fusion that the NHTSA has already investigated--the throttle body is defective. However, somehow the NHTSA let Ford off the hook and didn't recall the part and allowed Ford to only apply the "customer satisfaction program 13N03" to cars with automatic transmissions. I have a manual transmission car. I will tell you that exactly what happened in cars that initiated the investigation and this program is exactly what is happening in my car. The investigation needs to be reopened and this throttle body needs to be recalled for all transmission types. I was almost rear-ended by a car going 55 mph, even though I had my 4-way flashers on in the right lane, because the highway my car died on a does not have shoulders. This defective part is an extreme safety hazard and needs to be recalled!!

- El Paso, TX, USA

Aug 152016

While driving at 60 miles per hour my vehicle decelerate in rush hour traffic, miles away from home. I was able to put my emergency flashers on and move over to the shoulder before my car completely lost power. I had a tool light come on the dash and the car was still on but no power. I turn the engine completely off for about T 1 minute and then restart my car. I was able to safely make it home. On my grandchildren first day of school, while picking up at 1 of 3 schools on the way to the second school my car decelerated just before a train track during rush hour once again. This time my engine light came on the dash. Following the same technique I restarted my car, made it across the track only for it to quit again. My grand baby was worried and needless to say so was I.. using the same technique we were able to make it safely home. Requiring another vehicle to go pick up at the other two school late.... please tell me I shouldn't be afraid to drive my car because right now I am I attempted to perform a vehicle health check but it want allow me too. Please say there is a solution to this ongoing problem surely Ford is aware of this problem and there's a recall and I'm unaware right

- Little Rock, AR, USA

Jul 022015

My car has had a few recalls. I brought it to watertown Ford and they did not fix it properly. I bought it at enterprise car sales, woburn MA. They were supposed to check it and it was not certified like they promised. From the first month the car had issues. It keeps showing the wrench and not accelerating properly. I can't afford to keep fixing it. I would like Ford to buy back the car. For more than 11,000.00.

- Waltham, MA, USA

Sep 272014

With cruise control on, at highway speed of 60 to 65, on level road, transmission will down shift one or two gears. Rpms go from 2000 up to 3500. To get it back to 6th gear I have to cut cruise control off. Rpms go back to 2000.Ford dealer cannot find any codes when tested. Car does this in first fifty miles or sometimes goes 100 miles before dropping gear. Car was bought 20 months ago with 21C miles as certified vehicle. Now has 34C on car. It has always had this problem. Last time tested by dealer 3-2015.

- Old Fort, NC, USA

Mar 072016

After many failed temps from Ford for my body throttle issues & Ford dealer refusal to replace the throttle body, bc the code isn't present when they hook up they're device to it(Ford rules). Even though is known with Ford they code will clear when the car is turned off or in my case sometimes shut off by itself when the wrench light appears.06/02/15ford dealer did a PCM update for the T.body & was good to go. Less than a month later issues started again. It has happened countless of times with my bf & kids in the car. I called davidson Ford & spoke to the manger where he stated not to shut the car off so the code doesnt clear & I asked if the tow guy would leave the car on to bring it here. He goes well no! they werenżT of help ever.on 03/07/16 heading home my car went in limp mode & steering went stiff. I couldnt control the car & ended up hitting a guard car got damage & hurt my back.the officer stated I was lucky bc 20 more ft I would of hit the telephone pole. The tow truck guy also stated the car wasnżT safe to drive.the nxt day my bf called Ford(who open a case)& state farm our We went to N.side collison were we explained the situation & recalls on my car.he said he would try & talk to Ford to see what he could do. He couldnżT do anything & we had to deal with Ford.this collison center was on a time frame & real I had the car transferred to alan buyer collison center who works w. my insur. & Ford. Weżve played phone tag with Ford csd. The claim was sent to Ford legal general council whose supposed to handle the case & had 15 business to respond. They havenżT responded or try to make contact with us!I was also told by Ford csd not to have the collison center do anything till we hear from the legal counsel. My car has been at the C.C 62+days untouched. I upload letter I sent to Ford company.

- Baldwinsville, NY, USA

Dec 012015

While driving on city street car just loss power and slowly stop moving, so I pull over into the center divider as it shut down. I turned the ignition to off started it back up and continued on that happened a few years after I bought the car brand new, recently my car has ben doing a lot of jerking as if I'm running over a rock so I took it in and some work was done with the transmission, that was about 2/3 weeks ago and it started doing the jerking again it usually happens when I take off. So I call today and made another appointment. My concern is that this car isn't even 5 years old and already having problems with the transmission and other issue. And I got the 5 year warranty with is soon to expire and the I stuck with a car that I feel was faulty from the beginning.

- Oceanside, CA, USA

Jun 102014

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Fusion. While driving 25 mph, the vehicle experienced a loss of power; however, it still had some electrical function. Prior to the failure, the vehicle was remedied under Ford's customer satisfaction program 13N03, but the failure recurred. The throttle body was replaced and the vehicle was reprogrammed three times. The failure occurred seven times. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 38,500.

- Charlotte, NC, USA

Sep 122015

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Fusion. While driving at approximately 70 mph, the vehicle stalled and the check engine warning light illuminated. The vehicle was able to be restarted after several attempts. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the electronic throttle body needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 50,500.

- Baltimore, MD, USA

Aug 012015

On August 1st, 2015, I was on my way home at about 10 pm at night. I was going up a hill that curved to the left and suddenly lost control of my steering wheel. Instead of turning left the car proceeded to go straight where I then began to panic. I then slammed my brake to the floor and it somehow unexpectedly sped up. I crashed into a power line and smashed the front end into a tree that had totaled my vehicle. I have seat belt burns on my neck, stitches on my knee, abrasions, suffered from a minor concussion, a large amount of bruises, small cuts on my hands and forehead. I have full medical documents of my injuries including pictures. I later found out there were 2 recalls on the vehicle a power steering and 1 full throttle body recall. The power steering was completely replaced previously in 7/16/2013 & 10/26/2013 and there was no solution to the throttle body recall except a extend warranty. I also went to the car dealership where I purchased my vehicle 2 days before the accident and they mentioned nothing about any of the recalls. They also had no clue why it was making the strange noises and told me it was fine after 4 hours of service. I'm still currently experiencing pain in my shoulder that was diagnosed at the orthopedics on August 18th. I have to attend physical therapy twice a week for 6 weeks. I currently have shooting pains in my left shoulder & muscle spasms. Also my leg has nerve damage where I'm still experiencing numbness at this time. There is also permanent scarring from the seatbelt burns & the air bag ripping off the skin of my left thumb. We have documentation of everything including the police report, car diagnosis and the vehicle is still at the tow lot. No one else was involved or injured however there is documentation of the previous power steering recall accident.

- Woodbine, MD, USA

Feb 122014

Fusion 4-cyl

I am filing a formal complaint against Ford Motor Company about sudden and repeated surging occurring on my 2011 Ford Fusion. The first time the car surged as I was braking, the car suddenly surged forward. The surge threw the car approximately 10 feet before it slowed. I was able to turn onto a side street and into a parking lot to turn off the car. After quieting down I was able to start the car, making sure that there was plenty of room between me and whatever car was ahead of me when I braked at a traffic light or stop sign. After the second time it surged, as I was again braking, I had the car checked by a Ford dealership service department that was unable to find anything wrong with the car or its settings. The car did not surge when it was test-driven by the service personnel. Today, Tuesday March 3, 2015, is the third time the car has surged. I was parking the car when, as I was backing into a parking space, the car surged forward.. I turned the steering to avoid the truck parked ahead of me. While there was no damage to the truck, my passenger side rear-view mirror was severely damaged and must be replaced. The Ford service center where I took the car has estimated that it will.cost over $400 to replace the mirror. In addition there are a number of scrapes along the side of the car which a body shop will have to repaint. This is a serious safety issue. Fortunately there have not been any personal injuries as a result of the surges to date but I am very nervous about driving the car. I have now seen identical complaints about this happening with Ford Fusion on this and other automobile complaint sites. This is a factory or product defect that needs to addressed by Ford Motor Company before someone is seriously or fatally injured.

- Denver, CO, USA

Aug 112014

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that while driving 65 mph, the engine decelerated without warning. The vehicle was merged to the side of the road. The engine restarted. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The technician diagnosed that the electronic throttle body needed to be repaired. The failure was repaired but the failure persisted. The manufacturer was not notified of the issue. The approximate failure mileage was 90,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Brentwood, CA, USA

Oct 012014

While driving one Saturday evening out of no where the car idles down to about 5 mph until it stops, the steering wheel and gas pedal locks up and my husband and I are stuck in the middle of the road with traffic behind us, thankfully there was no accident. I then put the car in park, switched to key back to turn it off and back on to try and move it from the road to the gas station that we were right in front of (thank god). We eventually got the car in the parking lot and noticed the wrench light and the check engine light were both on. We did our research and found out it is a problem concerning the throttle body, in which I heard is very costly. The problem stopped for about a week then started again and happens randomly while in traffic, again thank god no accident has occurred. This car is my husband and I only means of transportation right now and I am 4&1/2 months pregnant so we need this car to travel not only to and from work but also my doctor visits. I don't know if anyone else has experienced this problem but it's a huge safety problem and we've only had the car for about 9 months.

- Kennesaw, GA, USA

Oct 082014

Driving my car when it all of a sudden slowed down to a very slow idle speed. Got out of traffic and glided into a parking lot only for it to all of a sudden begin racing RPM's. took to Ford and they replaced the throttle body and motor assembly. Lucky that nobody hit me.

- Boynton Beach, FL, USA

Sep 192014

Fusion 6-cyl

This happened to me on multiple occasions where I will be driving and my car just looses power and the throttle wont work. I have been lucky enough not to have been in an accident but have almost been in two because of the problem. I have to pull over and shut the car off for a couple of minutes before I can start it back up and when I try to start it back up it has a hard time starting.

- La Verkin, UT, USA

Sep 132014

Fusion 4-cyl

Had cruise set at 55mph and lost all power. The wrench light came up on the dash and could not accelerate. Had to pull over to the side of the busy highway. Restarted the car and it seemed normal. The car has done this multiple more times since the incident yesterday. It is now doing it every time we drive. It is extremely dangerous to lose power in your car on a busy highway! this problem needs addressed. From what I read online there are many people that have/had the same problem!

- Russellville, IN, USA

Sep 102014

Fusion 4-cyl

My vehicle stopped in the middle of traffic (several times), while driving 25 mph. It stopped with no pre warning signs. The car is only 3 years old and I only purchased it less than four months ago. This is very disheartening!

- Cleveland Heights, OH, USA

Aug 222014

Fusion 4-cyl

Going down the road and there was a thump and the gas pedal quit working. The car didn't go dead but the gas pedal wouldn't accelerate the vehicle, coasted to the side of the road, turned it off and back on and the gas pedal worked. It did this twice on 8/22/14, once on 8/24/14 and has done it once today so far 8/25/2014. The first time it did this was 9/12/13 and it didn't do it again until 8/22/14. There are pages and pages of Ford Fusion owners having this same problem and they say it is the throttle body causing the problem. When it did it today I was pulling out on to the highway from a stop sign and could not accelerate to get across the road. I had to stop in the center lane to keep from being hit. Ford needs to fix this before someone is killed. I am scared to drive my own car but don't have any other way to get to work. The reference # for last years complaint is 10543529.

- Brent, AL, USA

Jul 172014

After stopping at a stop sign, when I pushed the accelerator, the vehicle jerked and would not accelerate past the idle drive speed; a wrench light displayed on the dash; I slowly maneuvered into a parking lot. After restarting the vehicle, I managed to get home and drive the car for several days without issue. A quick internet search led me to suspect the throttle body. On about July 29th, the same thing happened. I pulled to the side of the parking lot that I was in and restarted the vehicle. On the morning of July 31st, as I put it in park at my place of employment, the vehicle stalled (the engine stopped and RPM display showed 0) and the battery light and oil lamp light displayed. The vehicle started right back up. Upon leaving my place of employment, the vehicle stalled four additional times within the 9 miles between work and the nearest auto parts store. The employee stated that the affected part was the "throttle body" just as I had found before.

- Olive Hill, KY, USA

Jul 172014

Fusion 6-cyl

Car would not go over 10 mph. Pulled over turned car off, restarted and engine surged up and down. Turned off again, restarted. Problem went away. This is the second time it happened.

- Hampton, VA, USA

Jun 302014

Fusion 4-cyl

While driving down the interstate to work, the car all of the sudden jerked and started to decelerate. I was able to pull off onto the shoulder, while the car continued to jerk forward. I turned off the ignition, waited a few seconds, and restarted the car. I proceeded to reenter the highway, and a few seconds later it did the same thing again. I once again pulled off onto the shoulder, turned off the ignition, and restarted the car. This time the car ran fine all the way to work. I am concerned that since the freeway has a few construction spots where there are no shoulder pulloffs, I could have been in a serious accident.

- Dupont, PA, USA