Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2011 Fusion builds off the 2010's reputation. That's not a good thing.

2011 Ford Fusion fuel system problems

2011 Ford Fusion Owner Comments (Page 6 of 6)

Jun 022013

While driving the wrench light came on and the car slowly decelerated. After pulling over and putting the vehicle in park, the engine shut off. I remove the key from the ignition, waited a minute, and restarted the vehicle. There were no longer any warning lights and I was able to continue driving home.

- Madison, AL, USA

May 242013

Had stopped at a stop sign, accelerated and would only go slow, got off onto roadside, turned the ignition off, restarted, did the same thing, three times until I could pull it completely off the road and out of the way, had to get towed home, same thing happened the next day and had to get towed to a Ford dealership where it still sits after one week, waiting on the throttle body.

- Seaford, VA, USA

Jan 312013

Fusion 6-cyl

While driving my car lost power. I was not able to accelerate. I stopped the car, turned it off and turned it back on again. I was able to continue driving. Took the car into the car dealer for investigation. They did not find a problem. On 5/8/2013 I was driving down the highway at a speed of 73 mph, all of a sudden my car lost power and started jerking again. I was not able to accelerate. I pulled over, turned the car off and turned it back on and was able to drive the car home. The next day I took it to the dealer and they said the throttle body was sticking. They cleaned it and said if it happens again it would have to be replaced. On 5/31/2013 I was driving down the highway at a speed of 70 mph. My car lost power again and starting jerking. I turned the car off for about 1 minute, turned it back on and was able to drive home.

- Dexter, MI, USA

May 302013

I was driving home from school (this has happened before, just not as bad) and my car stopped responding. The wrench light came on and the check engine light came on. I was on a really busy road, so I had to pray that I would not get hit. I turned off the car, and tried to restart it, but it did not want to restart. I sat for a few seconds and was finally able to get it restarted. This happened numerous (probably 6-8 times) on my 12 mile trip home. I took it to the shop this morning and found out it is the throttle body. I just looked it up online and have found out this is a common issue, and that the dealerships (when the car is under warranty) act like they don't know what it wrong. This is not right. There needs to be a recall! I don't have a warranty now, and I took my car to the dealership before the warranty was up and they said there was nothing wrong with it multiple times!!!!

- Columbia, SC, USA

May 022013

Fusion 6-cyl

The car was traveling on the highway at the speed of 70 mph when it just stopped responding to the gas pedal being pressed. The car came almost to a complete stop and was lucky enough to make it to the side of the rode. The car was almost hit by a truck which swerved into the median to avoid hitting the car. With the car alongside the rode it would not start. The throttle body had failed.

- Flowery Branch , GA, USA

Apr 252013

Fusion 6-cyl

Was driving 2011 Ford Fusion then shut down to idle, no power, almost got re ended, pulled over and put in park turned off and restarted problem was gone but recurred less than 2 tenths of mile. Repeated steps with caution floored gas peddle but still happen. Autozone checked it and cleared the computer. Happen right away after leaving. Called Ford could not repair because no codes. Problem came back 5 days later. At intersection light change green car did same thing, stuck in middle on intersection. Put in park and restart was hard to start. Red light now just got out of traffic way. Car is at Ford now. This is a very bad safety feature and will cause an accident sooner or later. Ford said they have had a few problems but no recall.

- Johnson City, TN, USA

May 012013

Fusion 6-cyl

Accelerating from a stop at green traffic signal, my 6 cylinder Fusion accelerated to approximately 25 mph and the engine stopped. I had no problem coasting into a nearby parking lot on my right. I turned the ignition off and after 10 seconds I restarted the engine. I drove home without incident afterwards.

- Hollywood, FL, USA

Jan 312013

Car bucked then completely died (in the middle of the street)! lights that came on: Stop safely now, wrench, engine, triangle with exclamation point. Took a few times to start back up. Took it to the dealer and they said they did not have a code but did not find anything wrong. A few days later, it happened again. This time in the middle of the intersection! ( same codes) brought it to dealer again, this time apparently they found the code. The dealer said gas was going in the wrong place and replaced a valve. It has since happened more than five times, all happening at less than 5 mph when starting after a stop. Currently with another Ford dealership (given the previous one cracked the windshield but claimed it was already there, not to mention the poor service to the car). This latest incident we had the car towed. This was at the recommendation of the Ford regional representative who has been extremely helpful. (by the way, this Fusion is a hybrid.) currently waiting for diagnosis.

- Portsmouth , NH, USA

Mar 082013

Fusion 6-cyl

Driving the car, it will have sudden loss of all power. The throttle control/transmission light indicator comes on. You have to turn the car off and restart. Owners manual states to take to the dealer if it stays on or continues to come on.this has happened numerous times over the last six months. Friday 3/8 it happened twice. Took to the dealer. State they are unable to repair due to no code in the computer. They had it 5 days, put 100 miles on it trying to get it to do this again. Safety issue is this occurring while in an intersection of on the interstate. No solution offered by Ford. States have to have a code. No instruction on making sure the code is recorded by the computer. When engine restated clears computer.

- Crockett, TX, USA

Jan 162013

Fusion 6-cyl

While driving at highway speed on an incline, the car lost all propulsion power. After several seconds, the check engine wrench light turned on and I pulled over to the side. Shutting down the vehicle, waiting 1 minute and restarting cleared the check engine light and restored power. The same thing happened 6 weeks later, while idling at a traffic light. After restarting, the system failed again 2 minutes later while driving on level road at 15 mph. The car rested for 2 hours and was then driven without incident to the dealer for repairs. The service technician performed eec test, ppt and component tests, then replaced the throttle body. No subsequent incidents after 1 week.

- Knoxville, TN, USA

Oct 272011

Fusion 6-cyl

I had just purchased my 2011 Ford Fusion just over a month when I encountered my first stall on my way home from work. I was fully stopped at an intersection waiting for the stop light to turn green. I pressed down on the accelerator only to realize the engine was no longer running. The car behind me bumped into my back bumper anticipating I would be accelerating through the intersection. There was nothing on the dashboard indicating the engine had died. I put the car into park and was able to get it to start normally. I didn't have any further problems until about 6 months later in June 2012. The second time, I was turning right into a parking lot and as I made the turn and pressed down on the accelerator I discovered the car was coasting with the engine dead and the dashboard console lit up as if everything was still running normally. Again, I put the car into park and the engine started immediately and everything was back to normal again. The third time just happened in February 2013 when I again was stopped at a stop light. When the light turned green, I pressed down on the accelerator only to discover the engine was no longer running and no indication on the dashboard anything was wrong. I did the same thing and put the car in park and the engine started and everything returned to normal. For the first 2 times, the Ford dealership just shrugged their shoulders and said there wasn't anything they could do if they couldn't duplicate the problem. The 3rd time, they did a software update based on a bulletin from Ford the computer wasn't possibly shifting at the proper times which could possibly cause the engine to stall. So now I have to wait and see if the software update really fixed the problem or I will have the pleasure of experiencing another sudden surprise of having a zombie car that appears to be alive but isn't.

- Centennial, CO, USA

Dec 192012

Fusion 6-cyl

I have now twice experienced the same problem described in the news articles from this date regarding engine stall. The first occasion, the vehicle was driving on a surface street at approximately 40 mph when it suddenly stalled. The second occasion was while I was trying to enter a freeway at between 50-55 mph. After the engine was turned off for a minute, the vehicle started working again properly.

- Garden Grove, CA, USA

Jul 102012

Fusion 6-cyl

Traveling at freeway speed, engine suddenly lost all power and reverted to idle RPM. Engine was idling roughly, and pressing on accelerator would not increase rpms. The "wrench" (check engine) light was illuminated. Was able to coast downhill to exit freeway; very unsafe condition. Switched off engine, restarted engine... and it ran normal; "wrench" light extinguished. Took car to walnut creek Ford following morning; they said no fault code was recorded on the cars computer and they could not replicate problem. Service rep told me Ford had no records of any previous problems of this nature, so I should just keep driving the car. I told him that was unsafe, and he replied there was nothing else he could do. He said he "could not just throw parts at an unknown problem"'. same problem occurred on Nov 01, 2012. I did an on-line search on various Ford Fusion forums and found multiple reports of this same situation with V6 engine attributed to throttle body housing. Immediately took car to walnut creek Ford and told service manager I would not accept the car until it was repaired. Showed him copies of multiple on-line reports of same problem and told him his rep had lied during my previous visit about Ford not knowing of any previous reported problems. Service manager replied that "on-line reports are not always real", but said he would have his best mechanic check my car. Mechanic found defective throttle body housing and replaced. Have not had recurrence of the engine failure.

- Walnut Creek, CA, USA

Nov 112012

Fusion 6-cyl

Driving normal for around an hr then all of a sudden a lighted wrench shows on dash and the accelerator does not engage properly and car feels like it is very rough and low idle. Power brakes and power steering work fine and can pull over but was in a turnaround for a highway access rd. Turned vehicle off and turned it back on again and it worked ok. Next day it happened twice, one of those times just from the start of turning on vehicle and trying to leave parking lot of work, and second time was on a 45mph rd which felt dangerous. Same thing accelerator stopped working and it coasted down till I could put in park and turn of vehicle and turn back on. It does not work if you are coasting and put it in neutral and turn off and on as the problem is still there. Afraid of it happening on highway. Seems like a software or sensor issue with throttle body as when you do give it gas on the peddle it feels like the throttle plate is blocked or trying to open up but not enough to go just small weak spurts.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Oct 272012

Fusion 4-cyl

2nd incident w/ gas peddle stopping working while driving w my children in the car. Wrench light came on and I put on my flashers and turned off ignition due to burning smell coming from under the hood should note every time this has happened I have just put gas in my car as well, also had to have a new battery put on my 1yr and 10 month old car today. Restarted the car and was only luckily 100yrds or less from my driveway so will call and have car towed to dealership again. Car is not safe for me and my family!!!

- Church Hill, TN, USA

Oct 112012

Fusion 4-cyl

While travel ing up a busy hwy in around 2 in the afternoon, the gas peddle quit working and car started to violent shake. At the time of incident I was traveling at 45 mph and could have been seriously injured. Pulled to the side rd. Put the car in park and turned off the ignition and restarted the car and gas peddle worked now and I drove it to dealership where they kept it for six days and did not do any repairs on it.

- Church Hill, TN, USA

Sep 212012

Fusion 4-cyl

Made 10 mi trip to school. 1/2 - 1 hr later, made 1/2 mi trip to store. On return to school on highway lost throttle response until car was turned off and restarted. (wrench light on dash displayed.) 2 hrs later, lost throttle response when turning onto highway from school. Car responded as normal after restart. Ford dealership replaced etb, A71, gasket, and throttle body. Car has returned to normal function.

- St Charles, IL, USA

Aug 122012

Fusion 6-cyl

As we were traveling we suddenly began slowing to a halt. Though my husband was pressing the gas pedal and the engine was running, there was no response. Luckily he was able to steer the car to the shoulder before we stopped completely. We were on a sparsely traveled road at the time. After checking under the hood, repeatedly trying to push the pedal and calling roadside assistance, he finally turned the engine off and then restarted it. The throttle seemed to work fine and we continued to our destination. The following day the same thing occurred. Again we were not in heavy traffic and there was a shoulder available for us to get to. This time he immediately turned the engine off and restarted it with everything returning to normal. We were very fearful of this occurring in heavy traffic or where there was not a shoulder available. We took the car back to the dealer where they charged us $387.43 to replace the throttle body #ds7Z-9E926-a.

- Malvern, AR, USA

Aug 212012

Fusion 6-cyl

While driving ~55mph in left lane of a 3-lane interstate at morning rush hour, the engine lost power, continued running at ~1000rpm, but would not accelerate. The check engine and wrench lights were on. The car was nearly hit by numerous vehicles as I coasted to the emergency lane on the right side of the expressway. The engine was shut off, then restarted, and it was ok for several miles. The same scenario was repeated twice while driving to a nearby dealer. The throttle body was replaced at a cost of $650 since it was out of warranty. Service personnel told me that they had seen several of these same problems on Fusion. This one dealer is most likely representative of others, so there must be a very large number of these problems occurring in nearly new vehicles. Why hasn't Ford, where quality used to be job one, issued a recall? this car has been otherwise flawless up to this point.

- New Salisbury, IN, USA