Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2011 Fusion builds off the 2010's reputation. That's not a good thing.

2011 Ford Fusion fuel system problems

2011 Ford Fusion Owner Comments (Page 1 of 7)

Oct 072016

The purge canister valve has been replaced, but the fuel smell still remains while it is stationary and running.

- Tinley Park, IL, USA

Dec 082015

My car almost caught on fire while I was working. The fuel tank had a crack in it and gasoline was leaking out. These fumes were inhaled by my grandkids and me. When I took my car in, the Ford dealer kept my car from 12/8/2015 until 07/27/2016. I had to ride in a rental this long.a recall was issued in January. I felt that as a consumer, I was treated unfairly and the risk of my family was not consider a factor when this car could have burst into flames at any time.

- Pineville, LA, USA

Oct 022016

In the last 24 hours my vehicle stalled on the freeway (I was almost rear-ended--this highway has a curb on both sides instead of shoulders) 4 times in 5 miles. The first time was as I was turning onto the highway from an intersection. Each time, I was unable to accelerate the car with the gas pedal. Each time, this was preceded by a lurching forward and a sluggish performance of the engine for about 1 second before the engine no longer powers the wheels. The wrench light comes on and I have to turn the car off and then turn it back on in order to be able to accelerate again. As I said, when I would accelerate, the engine would die, and this happened four times. When I restart the car, but before it dies again, the check engine light comes on. This is an issue with other 2011 Ford Fusion that the NHTSA has already investigated--the throttle body is defective. However, somehow the NHTSA let Ford off the hook and didn't recall the part and allowed Ford to only apply the "customer satisfaction program 13N03" to cars with automatic transmissions. I have a manual transmission car. I will tell you that exactly what happened in cars that initiated the investigation and this program is exactly what is happening in my car. The investigation needs to be reopened and this throttle body needs to be recalled for all transmission types. I was almost rear-ended by a car going 55 mph, even though I had my 4-way flashers on in the right lane, because the highway my car died on a does not have shoulders. This defective part is an extreme safety hazard and needs to be recalled!!

- El Paso, TX, USA

Jan 312016

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that while driving at 40 mph, the "check fuel fill inlet" was displayed across the message board. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the vehicle needed to be inspected under NHTSA campaign number: 15V793000 (fuel system, gasoline) but, no trouble codes were discovered. The vehicle was not repaired however, the failure recurred and the vehicle was taken back to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the purge valve needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 95,000.

- Orangevale, CA, USA

Aug 162016

I have a recall on my car for the fuel tank and there is no fix at this time. I need to get my tags on my car by November and dont know if I will be able to.

- Tucson, AZ, USA

Aug 012016

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that the vehicle stalled more than four times after the warning indicator wrench illuminated. The vehicle was taken to a mechanic who diagnosed that the fuel throttle body needed to be replaced. The vehicle was also taken to the dealer for diagnostic testing. The VIN was included in NHTSA campaign numbers: 15V793000 (fuel system, gasoline) and 15V340000 (steering). The manufacturer was notified. The approximate failure mileage was 93,545. VIN tool confirms parts not available. Parts distribution disconnect.

- Uniontown, OH, USA

Aug 082016

2011 Ford Fusion SE (bought at doug cheverolet 3 months ago)cut out 3 times today L'm scared.pulled car over thank god not on highway turned off started up went 5 miles did it again 2 more there a recall on this system?have an appt.with mechanic tommorrow have read about throttle body problems has 93,000 miles on it.

- Uniontown, OH, USA

Jul 202016

Wrench light comes when trying to accelerate. Car stumbles and loses power. Turn car off and wrench light disappears. According to various web sites error code is not stored when the car is turned off. This has happened about 3 times in the last 2 wks. Web sites say that the throttle body is bad.

- Rochester, NY, USA

Jun 012016

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Fusion. After receiving a recall notice for NHTSA campaign number: 15V793000 (fuel system). The vehicle was repaired on May 18, 2016. Shortly afterwards, the engine malfunction light illuminated, the odor of fuel was present, and fuel was visible near the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who diagnosed that the purge valves were faulty. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 72,000. Updated 09/28/16

- Duluth, GA, USA

May 102016

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that the check engine warning indicator illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the purge valve canister failed. The vehicle was taken back to the dealer and they stated that they fulfilled their responsibility for the recall. The vehicle was returned to the mechanic and repaired. One month prior to the failure, the vehicle was taken to the dealer to be remedied per NHTSA campaign number: 15V793000 (fuel system, gasoline). The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 125,000. Updated 07/14/16

- Fripp Island, SC, USA

May 132016

My son and his new family were going across a major intersection when the car just died. They were almost hit by other cars. They coasted across the intersection, then shut the car off then restarted it it drove for a few feet then died again. My son pulled to the side of the road. There was also two children in the car, 3 year old and 2 month old. I had it towed to a dealer. They told me it was the throttle body that failed. Then I did research and found this was a common problem for this car, and that many people were also involved in near misses and or accident.

- Lewisburg, OH, USA

Mar 072016

After many failed temps from Ford for my body throttle issues & Ford dealer refusal to replace the throttle body, bc the code isn't present when they hook up they're device to it(Ford rules). Even though is known with Ford they code will clear when the car is turned off or in my case sometimes shut off by itself when the wrench light appears.06/02/15ford dealer did a PCM update for the T.body & was good to go. Less than a month later issues started again. It has happened countless of times with my bf & kids in the car. I called davidson Ford & spoke to the manger where he stated not to shut the car off so the code doesnt clear & I asked if the tow guy would leave the car on to bring it here. He goes well no! they weren┐T of help ever.on 03/07/16 heading home my car went in limp mode & steering went stiff. I couldnt control the car & ended up hitting a guard car got damage & hurt my back.the officer stated I was lucky bc 20 more ft I would of hit the telephone pole. The tow truck guy also stated the car wasn┐T safe to drive.the nxt day my bf called Ford(who open a case)& state farm our We went to N.side collison were we explained the situation & recalls on my car.he said he would try & talk to Ford to see what he could do. He couldn┐T do anything & we had to deal with Ford.this collison center was on a time frame & real I had the car transferred to alan buyer collison center who works w. my insur. & Ford. We┐ve played phone tag with Ford csd. The claim was sent to Ford legal general council whose supposed to handle the case & had 15 business to respond. They haven┐T responded or try to make contact with us!I was also told by Ford csd not to have the collison center do anything till we hear from the legal counsel. My car has been at the C.C 62+days untouched. I upload letter I sent to Ford company.

- Baldwinsville, NY, USA

Nov 152014

Mpg was not adding up though it was just me than I would notice spots of gasoline on the floor and did a inspection and looked normal until filled gas a bit higher than half and started leaking.and some loss of steering would happen here and there and decided to inspect it to couple of codes would come up in a dtc test.

- Compton, CA, USA

Jan 042016

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Fusion. The contact received a notification of NHTSA campaign number: 15V793000 (fuel system, gasoline); however, the part for the recall was not available. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was not notified of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure. VIN tool confirms parts not available.

- Marmaduke, AR, USA

Mar 242016

Had been having issues with my 2011 Ford Fusion since early 2015. Each time I put fuel into the vehicle, the vehicle wouldn┐T start ┐ similar to what happens when engine is flooded. Thought it was bad fuel. Ran the fuel tank to nearly empty and refueled. Same issue every time I refuel. Made sure there was nothing blocking the fuel filler cap/flap. Check engine light would go on and off and then stayed on. In Sept 2015, took vehicle to a certified mechanic and the error codes (PO456 and PO104) indicated a problem with the fuel/propulsion system. Replaced purge solenoid. Did not fix the problem. Received recall notice 15S34 in January 2016 related to a defect/safety issue with the fuel system & fuel tank. March 2016 (engine light still on) took vehicle to Ford dealer and explained the problems I┐ve been having and provided bill from mechanic and documentation found of other Ford owners having the same issues. Dealer inspected vehicle & said everything was fine except that I have a leak in my fuel filler neck which is not part of the recall, but they could replace ┐for about $250 or so┐. how is it that this not included in the recall? fuel and fumes leaking from the filler neck are as dangerous as cracks and leaks in the tank. Did some research and this seems to be a common problem that Ford has been made aware of. There is no reasonable explanation as to how I would have cracked the fuel filler neck. The car only has approx. 66K miles on it, was bought brand new in 2010, is regularly serviced and has never been misused. Contacted Ford and was advised that they would "note" my safety concerns in their case (cas-9098523). NHTSA needs to look into this and force Ford to take corrective measures.

- Butte, MT, USA

Jan 162016

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that the fuel cap leak and the check engine warning indicators illuminated. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the canister purge valve solenoid needed to be replaced. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for a second opinion and it was confirmed that the canister purge valve solenoid needed replacement. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 15V793000 (fuel system, gasoline). The failure mileage was approximately 78,000.

- St Charles, MO, USA

Feb 012016

My 2011 Fusion has 66,000 miles on it, and he ptu (power transfer box) is leaking. My "warranty" expired at 60K miles, so Ford will not do anything for me. This is a known issue with Ford, and they are ignoring it. My AWD shouldn't fail with fewer than 67K miles. Oil leaks all over, I am now unable to turn on point. Loud raddling noises that could only be detected after a point turn.

- Plainville, CT, USA

Jan 292016

Fusion 6-cyl

Contact team Ford las vegas nv 1/29/2016 concerning my recall. Safety recall notice 15S34/NHTSA recall 15V-793 they told me they did not know when the parts would be available for repair. They also told me that if the fuel tank had a crack, that a new fuel tank would not be available "until 2017" how is that possible if my fuel tank is indeed cracked. Am I supposed to drive the Ford Fusion with the possibility of a fire or explosion? if this is not a safety concern, I don't know what is I hope that are able to assist me in this matter thank you

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Nov 032015

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Fusion. While at a stop light, another vehicle crashed into the rear of the contact's vehicle. As a result, the contact crashed into the preceding vehicle. The air bags failed to deploy. In addition, the fuel safety cut off switch failed to activate. The air bag warning light illuminated. The contact sustained minor bruises that did not require medical attention. A police report was filed. The vehicle was driven from the crash scene and was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 112,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Colecamp, MO, USA

Oct 032015

Driving on fwy car display a wrench and you can't accelerate all you can do is coast to the shoulder of the road or hold up traffic.this has happened 10 times in one month my next problem is the dash display check fuel fill inlet and then the engine light comes on. The first time it happened was two weeks after I bought the car so they told me what shop to take it to because we had a 30 day warranty so I did they told me that it was a common problem on cars that don't have gas caps. It happened again, took it back to the same shop and he gave advise on how to fill your gas tank. It happened again took it back to the same shop this time he said that he replaced the whole fuel inlet thing. Well it happened again this time he told me to hit the reset button on the steering wheel I did and it went off but it kept on coming back on when I get back in the car and starting it. After a couple of days of doing that I took it back to the same shop he said that he would have to charge me to see what the problem is and I said it says check fuel fill inlet I should'nt have to pay so he said that he would charge the dealer he cleaned the part where the gas goes in he said and every thing is alright.well after about a week it happened again this time the engine light came on too and when you reset the check fuel fill comes right back on. I took it back to the same shop and this time I had to pay and I don't see why because its the same problem over and over again and it is not fixed I paid 50.00$ and it still has check fuel fill inlet and engine light still on. The car is at the Ford dealer right now because I had 3 recalls on the vehicle but nothing about the fuel fill inlet, Ford said that they can check out why the fuel inlet is on but I have to pay 120.00$ I don't have the money I feel that it should be fixed free because it was under warranty and was never really fixed.

- Anaheim, CA, USA