Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2011 Fusion builds off the 2010's reputation. That's not a good thing.

2011 Ford Fusion steering problems

2011 Ford Fusion Owner Comments (Page 10 of 28)

Apr 032015

Fusion 4-cyl

While driving my car to the local deli market the power steering in my car just stopped working. I was unable to adequately steer my car. I was fortunate that there was a drive way I could turn into. This is very dangerous and I was also fortunate I wasn't in heavy traffic or trying to make a turn. It has come to my attention that this is an issue with some of the Ford Fusion however Ford is not announcing a recall nor advising owners of this issue. It has the potential to cause a fatal accident.

- St Petersburg, FL, USA

Apr 092015

When I turned on my Ford Fusion the other day, I saw a power steering failure message come up on my dash. I had lost power steering on the vehicle and was unsure what to do. I shut the vehicle off and started the car back up which resolved the issue for now. I'm nervous this could happen again when driving at high speeds on the freeway during my commute.

- Hopkins, MN, USA

Apr 102015

Power steering failure.

- Anaheim, CA, USA

Oct 132014

Driving to the store power steering just went out know warning.

- Clayton, NC, USA

Mar 162015

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Fusion. While driving at an unknown speed, excessive force was required in order to maneuver the steering wheel. The power steering warning light illuminated after the failure occurred. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 96,000.

- Atlanta, GA, USA

Sep 252014

Fusion 4-cyl

This is now the 6th report of steering failure on this car. This incident happened easter Sunday (April 5, 2015) with approximately 176K miles on the car. This time I was turning at a stop sign and the steering failed completely. The power steering failure light came on with no warning and I could not turn. If there would have been a car there, I would have hit it. I had to kill the engine to re-engage the steering control. It reset itself. The other report #10693725 dated 11-Mar-2015 referred the other failures: 9/25/2014 power steering complete loss turning into parking space 9/29/2014 power steering complete loss on highway 10/7/2014 power steering complete loss on highway 10/09/2014 power steering complete loss on highway 3/9/2015- power steering complete loss while traveling 83 miles an hour with traffic 4/5/2015- power steering complete loss turning right.

- Lagrange, GA, USA

Mar 022015

The power steering assist failed on my car 5 times so far, once while I was driving which caused me to crash into a curb and get a flat tire. (!) it seems to reset itself after I turn the car off and turn it back on. I am worried this failure of my power steering is going to happen while I am driving on the freeway which I must drive on in heavy traffic everyday. This is very dangerous. After reading all the other complaints about this issue with this make, model and year of car, I am suprised my car has not yet been recalled. Someone is going to get killed if this problem is not addressed and fixed. I don't have the money to fix my car, and from what I read, Ford auto repair doesn't even know how to fix this problem. What a nightmare. Please recall.

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Feb 052015

Fusion 4-cyl

One morning I started my car and the steering wheel locked up and a warning "power steering default assist" appeared. I turned the car off then restarted and the power steering was fine. This incident happened 2 more times in February. After the 4th or 5th warning appeared, I made an appointment with the dealership I purchased the car from. The informed me that they could not replicate the problem and that the could not detect a malfunction code. Last week it happened again not just once but twice while I was parked in a hospital parking deck. After the third try, the steering reset itself. The next day the power steering locked up and it did not reset. I had to have the car towed to the dealership. Now they want to stick me with at $2000 repair stating that the problem is not covered under warranty and that Ford does not have a recall. I had the car in the shop three times in 2014 for a problem we thought was the rack and pinion. Again, because the service department could not duplicate the problem, the car now has had more damage to the steering. Thankfully, my son and I made it home across the mountain after his doctors appointment before the car's steering completely locked up.

- Harrisonburg, VA, USA

Dec 222014

Fusion 4-cyl

After getting gas and car was off and in park, tried to go the power steering was gone and the car was not controllable. No one seems to know the exact problem.

- Newark, NY, USA

Mar 192015

The power steering rack went out on my 2011 Ford Fusion. I could not drive it while being fixed which was a pain, but I did get a loner vehicle to use for the gas used while being fixed. I paid to have the vehicle towed to the Ford garage. It sat for the weekend. After the diagnosis I had to come into town (17 miles) to pay for the part before it would be ordered. The problem occurred on a Thursday and it was repaired the following Wednesday at the end of the day. Total bill was $1708 and change. With a three warranty it was not covered. However there have been 94 complaints on the vehicle model of which 39 were for the power steering rack. Other Fusion models were fixed under a recall. I believe mine should also be covered by Ford because other models were covered. I am fortunate the power steering went out on a city street and not on an interstate highway while I was driving the previous week driving at 65 mph. I am 71 year old widow and do not drive recklessly. Many power steering racks last well over 100,000 miles. I really don't feel safe in this car anymore. I probably will be car shopping at another brand dealer.

- Nekoosa, WI, USA

Mar 262015

The 2011 Ford power steering unit failed gave a warning to service the car. The dealer found nothing wrong. Vehicle is not safe to drive post failure and the problem is not repeatable at the dealer. The dashboard reads "steering assist failure'.

- Modesto, CA, USA

Mar 232015

Fusion 4-cyl

While driving car the power steering failed causing a loss of proper control of the car. The car steering would not budge and was very difficult to pull over to a safe place. Message on dashboard read power steering assist failure. This has happened 3 times in the last 7 days.

- Mission, TX, USA

Mar 162015

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that while driving at approximately 5 mph, the steering wheel seized as the power assist failure warning light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the rack and pinion needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 93,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Galion, OH, USA

Mar 162015

Started car and immediately power steering fault assist came on and could not move steering wheel turned car off and back on and it corrected itself and I drove from fl to ga with no problem. 2 days later sitting in driveway the same problem occurred turned car off and back on and it fixed the problem.until next time I have googled the issue and there are 500K reports of this happening and Ford needs to do a recall. A 26K car should not have major mechanical problems in 4 years.

- Griffin, GA, USA

Mar 052015

Fusion 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that while driving at 25 mph, the steering wheel became difficult to turn. The contact had to apply force to the steering wheel in order to turn the vehicle. The contact stated that the power steering default and power steering low was displayed across the message board. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The failure recurred on numerous occasions. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 82,000. Updated 4/30/15 updated 10/23/2015

- Way Cross, GA, USA

Mar 182015

My power steering is out I waited the 30 seconds and longer with no good results I drove it home and waited and still no steering assist there is a fault light on the instrument cluster.

- Glasgow, KY, USA

Apr 072011

I have experienced multiple instances of losing power steering both while stationary and driving. The car generates a "power steering assist fault" and "service power steering now" error message. Often after turning off the car and restarting (sometimes taking several times), the fault will clear and the car operates again normally; however, this has recurred at least 3-4 times in the four years I have owned the car. This also occurs while driving, which would present a significant safety hazard for someone unlike myself who does not have prior experience with manual steering vehicles that can adjust on the fly. When taken to the dealer for diagnosis/assistance several times, I am told they cannot diagnose it unless it is actively showing the error code (which is not feasible as the codes clear after the car is turned off, and typically would require either a tow to a dealership or the ability to drive straight to a Ford facility at the precise time the incident occurs, without turning the car off at any point) and thus it does not get addressed or fixed. I have read several other reviews of others having the same issue with this same make and model, and many have resulted in highly costly recommendations for repair which do not fix the problem. I see that NHTSA currently has an investigation ongoing regarding this same issue, and as such wanted to ensure I did my part by formally documenting another instance of this problem, as I felt Ford's report that it is an isolated incident only affecting 3 in 1000 cars seems highly questionable given the extent of others reporting the same failures in a limited number of these cars of the same model year sold, and those being limited only to those (unlike myself, up until this juncture) who elected to take the time to enter an internet complaint.

- Monroe, NC, USA

Mar 022015

Fusion 4-cyl

Recently while turning on the car I have no power steering. I usually wait a while and it kicks on or I turn car on and off to fix it. One time I was leaving on my street and it went out and flashed on my dash. I parked the car and turned on and off to fix... I am concerned that this will go out on the highway and cause a very serious accident...

- Amherst, OH, USA

Aug 142014

Fusion 4-cyl

Power steering failure light came on when starting the car. Resulting in no power steering at all. This has occurred many times over the past seven months. In each case, we were able to reset the system by turning off the ignition and restarting the car. On 3-2-15 failure occurred again, this time it took three attempts to reset the system. We took the car to a Ford dealer on 10-27-14. We were told the power steering rack and related components had failed and needed replacement at an approximate cost of $1600. We consider this a major safety issue and were surprised to find that Ford was not taking care of this safety hazard with a recall.

- Loris, SC, USA

Sep 252014

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Fusion. While driving at 83 mph, the steering wheel was difficult to maneuver and the traction control warning light illuminated. The contact mentioned that the steering wheel required excessive force. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 159,000.

- Lagrange, GA, USA