CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2011 Fusion builds off the 2010's reputation. That's not a good thing.

2011 Ford Fusion steering problems

2011 Ford Fusion Owner Comments (Page 11 of 28)

Mar 262015

Fusion

The 2011 Ford power steering unit failed gave a warning to service the car. The dealer found nothing wrong. Vehicle is not safe to drive post failure and the problem is not repeatable at the dealer. The dashboard reads "steering assist failure'.

- Modesto, CA, USA

Mar 232015

Fusion 4-cyl

While driving car the power steering failed causing a loss of proper control of the car. The car steering would not budge and was very difficult to pull over to a safe place. Message on dashboard read power steering assist failure. This has happened 3 times in the last 7 days.

- Mission, TX, USA

Mar 162015

Fusion

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that while driving at approximately 5 mph, the steering wheel seized as the power assist failure warning light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the rack and pinion needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 93,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Galion, OH, USA

Mar 162015

Fusion

Started car and immediately power steering fault assist came on and could not move steering wheel turned car off and back on and it corrected itself and I drove from fl to ga with no problem. 2 days later sitting in driveway the same problem occurred turned car off and back on and it fixed the problem.until next time I have googled the issue and there are 500K reports of this happening and Ford needs to do a recall. A 26K car should not have major mechanical problems in 4 years.

- Griffin, GA, USA

Mar 052015

Fusion 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that while driving at 25 mph, the steering wheel became difficult to turn. The contact had to apply force to the steering wheel in order to turn the vehicle. The contact stated that the power steering default and power steering low was displayed across the message board. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The failure recurred on numerous occasions. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 82,000. Updated 4/30/15 updated 10/23/2015

- Way Cross, GA, USA

Mar 182015

Fusion

My power steering is out I waited the 30 seconds and longer with no good results I drove it home and waited and still no steering assist there is a fault light on the instrument cluster.

- Glasgow, KY, USA

Apr 072011

Fusion

I have experienced multiple instances of losing power steering both while stationary and driving. The car generates a "power steering assist fault" and "service power steering now" error message. Often after turning off the car and restarting (sometimes taking several times), the fault will clear and the car operates again normally; however, this has recurred at least 3-4 times in the four years I have owned the car. This also occurs while driving, which would present a significant safety hazard for someone unlike myself who does not have prior experience with manual steering vehicles that can adjust on the fly. When taken to the dealer for diagnosis/assistance several times, I am told they cannot diagnose it unless it is actively showing the error code (which is not feasible as the codes clear after the car is turned off, and typically would require either a tow to a dealership or the ability to drive straight to a Ford facility at the precise time the incident occurs, without turning the car off at any point) and thus it does not get addressed or fixed. I have read several other reviews of others having the same issue with this same make and model, and many have resulted in highly costly recommendations for repair which do not fix the problem. I see that NHTSA currently has an investigation ongoing regarding this same issue, and as such wanted to ensure I did my part by formally documenting another instance of this problem, as I felt Ford's report that it is an isolated incident only affecting 3 in 1000 cars seems highly questionable given the extent of others reporting the same failures in a limited number of these cars of the same model year sold, and those being limited only to those (unlike myself, up until this juncture) who elected to take the time to enter an internet complaint.

- Monroe, NC, USA

Mar 022015

Fusion 4-cyl

Recently while turning on the car I have no power steering. I usually wait a while and it kicks on or I turn car on and off to fix it. One time I was leaving on my street and it went out and flashed on my dash. I parked the car and turned on and off to fix... I am concerned that this will go out on the highway and cause a very serious accident...

- Amherst, OH, USA

Aug 142014

Fusion 4-cyl

Power steering failure light came on when starting the car. Resulting in no power steering at all. This has occurred many times over the past seven months. In each case, we were able to reset the system by turning off the ignition and restarting the car. On 3-2-15 failure occurred again, this time it took three attempts to reset the system. We took the car to a Ford dealer on 10-27-14. We were told the power steering rack and related components had failed and needed replacement at an approximate cost of $1600. We consider this a major safety issue and were surprised to find that Ford was not taking care of this safety hazard with a recall.

- Loris, SC, USA

Sep 252014

Fusion

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Fusion. While driving at 83 mph, the steering wheel was difficult to maneuver and the traction control warning light illuminated. The contact mentioned that the steering wheel required excessive force. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 159,000.

- Lagrange, GA, USA

Mar 062015

Fusion 4-cyl

I started receiving a power steering assist failure warning light, and loss of power steering, about a week before it failed completely. Each time I was in a parking lot and reset the warning light by turning off the car and turning it back on. I was pulling out of the driveway on Friday March 6th, 2015 when the light came back on, and I lost power steering in the vehicle. Due to the vehicle not being operable on the road, I had it towed to the local Ford dealership. They diagnosed the issue as a steering rack module failure and suggested a replacement of the steering rack. We ended up having them replace it and the total bill was over $1,700. The dealership stated that this is a common problem with this specific model year and car and had this part in stock. A simple internet search also shows that many other cars with this specific model year have the same issue. Please look into issuing a recall as losing power steering could potentially be dangerous if driving the car on a highway.

- Feasterville Trevose, PA, USA

Mar 102015

Fusion

Was driving the vehicle on the highway at 70 mph when power steering and electronic stability control suddenly quit working and "service now" message appeared. Reset when I was able to pull off the road and turn the car off and on. Was driving straight at the time, thankfully.

- Edmond, OK, USA

Dec 142014

Fusion 4-cyl

My 2011 Ford Fusion worked fine for about a year after the original purchase in November of 2013 from framingham Ford Lincoln. In December of 2014, the power steering and advancetrac suffered a total system failure. I brought it in to framingham Ford Lincoln's service department where it was repaired. The same failure occurred in January of 2015. I brought the car in again and the service department told me they replaced the rack which they did not feel was necessary the first time, and expressed their confidence that the car would hold up this time around. The power steering and advancetrac failed for a third time in February of 2015, and I forced Ford to take the car back and provide me with another one. However, over 5000 dollars of my original financing has been rolled into my new loan for the car I received to replace the Fusion. This is unacceptable to me, and I filed a complaint with the Massachusetts attorney general seeking mediation to get that money back. Every time this error occurred, the car become unsafe and unreliable as the steering would toughen up and make it near impossible to operate. The three times the steering and advancetrac failed, I was on the road driving and I could have seriously injured myself or others. Ford refuses to publicly acknowledge this issue. They are endangering drivers across the country with their gross negligence and lack of concern for their customers' safety. I want to report this issue because apparently, according to what I have read on the internet, many other people have experienced this same issue and some have even been hurt. Please force Ford Motor Company to recall these vehicles and make sure they are in good enough condition to operate on the road. At least force them to acknowledge this is a pervasive issue, so people know what they are getting into before purchasing a car from them in good faith.

- Framingham, MA, USA

Jul 012013

Fusion 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that while driving at approximately 10 mph, the power steering warning light illuminated and the steering wheel became difficult to turn. The contact restarted the vehicle and it resumed to normal operation. The failure occurred on numerous occasions. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 70,000.....updated 06/09/15 the consumer stated the power steering went completely out in the first week of April. It was taken to a Ford dealership, and was advised that the rack and pinion needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. Updated 11/20/2015

- Meeker , OK, USA

Feb 052015

Fusion 6-cyl

I was backing out of my drive way, my car acts like it was going to die my power steering goes out. Kn the message center it says power steering assists fault and then service advance trac. Have not had power steering since but it has came back on for about an hour at the most three different times.

- Goshen, IN, USA

Feb 282015

Fusion 4-cyl

While driving down a street suddenly truly out of no where, the car dings and power steering failure repair advancedtrac now appeared in the display. The car lost power steering and I nearly ran into someone while attempting to pull into a parking lot to park. I researched the issue since the dealerships "front end person" was not available on Saturday when I had the problem and it is a very common problem with the car. I could not imagine if my wife would have been driving would she have been able to pull the car over without hurting herself or someone else. There was zero warning, one moment everything was fine and the next power steering was out and I was on my own. This is unacceptable, especially being a common problem that cost $2081 to fix from my local dealership. This should be looked into as a recall!

- Sherwood, AR, USA

Nov 032014

Fusion 4-cyl

I went to start the car and the message "power steering assist fault" came on the dashboard and I could not move the steering wheel. This was the first time it happened. It has now happened 3 more times. The last time this happened so far was today. Today it happened while I was driving in a parking lot getting ready to park. The immediate loss of power steering caused me to almost hit another car while parking.

- Hendersonville, TN, USA

Feb 022015

Fusion 6-cyl

Warning light came on indicating service power steering now, service advancetrak now. Power steering subsequently stopped working without notice. Steering rack needed to be replaced. Appears to be a common problem with this vehicle.

- Carver, MA, USA

Feb 262015

Fusion 4-cyl

I was pulling out of a restaurant parking lot and the power steering warning came on and the advance trac warning came on. Power steering then went out. I was lucky that I wasn't going at a higher speed. I would have wrecked. I looked up power steering warning on 2011 Ford Fusion, and to my astonishment, there have been numerous complaints. This is the 1st Ford that I have owned. I bought a Ford because they didn't take a bailout from the government. I don't know if I will be a repeat Ford buyer or not. Ford needs to step up and recall for this issue before people get killed!!!

- Summitville, OH, USA

Feb 282015

Fusion 6-cyl

I was parked in a parking lot. When I turned my car on, the power steering assist fault warning came on. I put the car in reverse to see what would happen, and there was no power steering. I turned the car off, waited a minute, then on again; the warning did not return and the power steering now worked. I was able to drive home without incident. I have a picture of the warning message. I am taking my car to the Ford dealer regarding this issue.

- Redondo Beach, CA, USA