Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2011 Fusion builds off the 2010's reputation. That's not a good thing.

2011 Ford Fusion steering problems

2011 Ford Fusion Owner Comments (Page 11 of 28)

Mar 062015

Fusion 4-cyl

I started receiving a power steering assist failure warning light, and loss of power steering, about a week before it failed completely. Each time I was in a parking lot and reset the warning light by turning off the car and turning it back on. I was pulling out of the driveway on Friday March 6th, 2015 when the light came back on, and I lost power steering in the vehicle. Due to the vehicle not being operable on the road, I had it towed to the local Ford dealership. They diagnosed the issue as a steering rack module failure and suggested a replacement of the steering rack. We ended up having them replace it and the total bill was over $1,700. The dealership stated that this is a common problem with this specific model year and car and had this part in stock. A simple internet search also shows that many other cars with this specific model year have the same issue. Please look into issuing a recall as losing power steering could potentially be dangerous if driving the car on a highway.

- Feasterville Trevose, PA, USA

Mar 102015

Was driving the vehicle on the highway at 70 mph when power steering and electronic stability control suddenly quit working and "service now" message appeared. Reset when I was able to pull off the road and turn the car off and on. Was driving straight at the time, thankfully.

- Edmond, OK, USA

Dec 142014

Fusion 4-cyl

My 2011 Ford Fusion worked fine for about a year after the original purchase in November of 2013 from framingham Ford Lincoln. In December of 2014, the power steering and advancetrac suffered a total system failure. I brought it in to framingham Ford Lincoln's service department where it was repaired. The same failure occurred in January of 2015. I brought the car in again and the service department told me they replaced the rack which they did not feel was necessary the first time, and expressed their confidence that the car would hold up this time around. The power steering and advancetrac failed for a third time in February of 2015, and I forced Ford to take the car back and provide me with another one. However, over 5000 dollars of my original financing has been rolled into my new loan for the car I received to replace the Fusion. This is unacceptable to me, and I filed a complaint with the Massachusetts attorney general seeking mediation to get that money back. Every time this error occurred, the car become unsafe and unreliable as the steering would toughen up and make it near impossible to operate. The three times the steering and advancetrac failed, I was on the road driving and I could have seriously injured myself or others. Ford refuses to publicly acknowledge this issue. They are endangering drivers across the country with their gross negligence and lack of concern for their customers' safety. I want to report this issue because apparently, according to what I have read on the internet, many other people have experienced this same issue and some have even been hurt. Please force Ford Motor Company to recall these vehicles and make sure they are in good enough condition to operate on the road. At least force them to acknowledge this is a pervasive issue, so people know what they are getting into before purchasing a car from them in good faith.

- Framingham, MA, USA

Jul 012013

Fusion 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that while driving at approximately 10 mph, the power steering warning light illuminated and the steering wheel became difficult to turn. The contact restarted the vehicle and it resumed to normal operation. The failure occurred on numerous occasions. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 70,000.....updated 06/09/15 the consumer stated the power steering went completely out in the first week of April. It was taken to a Ford dealership, and was advised that the rack and pinion needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. Updated 11/20/2015

- Meeker , OK, USA

Feb 052015

Fusion 6-cyl

I was backing out of my drive way, my car acts like it was going to die my power steering goes out. Kn the message center it says power steering assists fault and then service advance trac. Have not had power steering since but it has came back on for about an hour at the most three different times.

- Goshen, IN, USA

Feb 282015

Fusion 4-cyl

While driving down a street suddenly truly out of no where, the car dings and power steering failure repair advancedtrac now appeared in the display. The car lost power steering and I nearly ran into someone while attempting to pull into a parking lot to park. I researched the issue since the dealerships "front end person" was not available on Saturday when I had the problem and it is a very common problem with the car. I could not imagine if my wife would have been driving would she have been able to pull the car over without hurting herself or someone else. There was zero warning, one moment everything was fine and the next power steering was out and I was on my own. This is unacceptable, especially being a common problem that cost $2081 to fix from my local dealership. This should be looked into as a recall!

- Sherwood, AR, USA

Nov 032014

Fusion 4-cyl

I went to start the car and the message "power steering assist fault" came on the dashboard and I could not move the steering wheel. This was the first time it happened. It has now happened 3 more times. The last time this happened so far was today. Today it happened while I was driving in a parking lot getting ready to park. The immediate loss of power steering caused me to almost hit another car while parking.

- Hendersonville, TN, USA

Feb 022015

Fusion 6-cyl

Warning light came on indicating service power steering now, service advancetrak now. Power steering subsequently stopped working without notice. Steering rack needed to be replaced. Appears to be a common problem with this vehicle.

- Carver, MA, USA

Feb 262015

Fusion 4-cyl

I was pulling out of a restaurant parking lot and the power steering warning came on and the advance trac warning came on. Power steering then went out. I was lucky that I wasn't going at a higher speed. I would have wrecked. I looked up power steering warning on 2011 Ford Fusion, and to my astonishment, there have been numerous complaints. This is the 1st Ford that I have owned. I bought a Ford because they didn't take a bailout from the government. I don't know if I will be a repeat Ford buyer or not. Ford needs to step up and recall for this issue before people get killed!!!

- Summitville, OH, USA

Feb 282015

Fusion 6-cyl

I was parked in a parking lot. When I turned my car on, the power steering assist fault warning came on. I put the car in reverse to see what would happen, and there was no power steering. I turned the car off, waited a minute, then on again; the warning did not return and the power steering now worked. I was able to drive home without incident. I have a picture of the warning message. I am taking my car to the Ford dealer regarding this issue.

- Redondo Beach, CA, USA

Feb 262015

Sudden power steering failure. "powers steering assist failure" message displayed. Power steering returned to normal after restart. This issue has occurred five times since the first occurrence. Dealer claims they have never heard of the issue.

- Scottsdale, AZ, USA

Feb 242015

Fusion 4-cyl

My Fusion is one of the many suffering from the electronic power steering assist fault (epsaf). Fortunately, the failure came at startup and not while driving down the freeway. The first time it happened, I was able to turn the car off to reset it. The next morning the epsaf failed at startup and I was not able to reset it.

- Cibolo, TX, USA

Feb 192015

Fusion 4-cyl

My power steering assist failed along with advance trac. This has been a complete nuisance not to mention a ridiculous amount of money to have replaced. North brothers Ford has quoted me over $2,000. I am not left with a choice but to fix the vehicle. I have read numerous reviews that many others have posted in regards to this defective part. Please have Ford Motor Company recall this vehicle and have this problem fixed. ~a very unsatisfied Ford owner

- Canton, MI, USA

Feb 232015

Fusion 4-cyl

Twice now my vehicle has lost power steering while driving. The lights suddenly come on saying "service power steering now" "service advancetrac". I completely lose power steering which makes the car very unsafe at any speed. This time I had my 3 of my children in the car with my wife and myself. I am afraid to drive the car now and I don't have $1500 to $2000 laying around to fix this. I can't believe Ford is not owning up to this problem. I have read all the other complaints, this is obviously a manufacturing defect and Ford should be held 100% accountable.

- Salem, OH, USA

Apr 192014

Fusion 4-cyl

Not sure of the exact date of the first time this happened but I put in the correct month, however the same problem has happened again just Friday Feb. 13, 2015 less than a year from the first time it happened. While driving down the road the power steering on the car just went out without warning, this time there was ice on the road and I had my 8yr old child on the car. I did not have to pay due to the car still being under warranty and seeing that it has been less than a year being repaired I hope it is still covered. There has to be a problem with this system and I hope Ford Motor Company and/or the maker of this part find a way to fix it. I have owned Ford/Mercury most of my driving life and never had a serious problem like this.

- Garysburg, NC, USA

Feb 172015

Fusion 4-cyl

As I was pulling into a gas station to go inside the advancetrac and steering pump is low alert came on. I pulled into a parking spot and got out. When I came back out and started the card I was not able to turn my wheel. It was locked. I had tried to shut off engine so it can reset and unplug the battery and check the fuse. My steering wheel still did not moved. I had it towed to the Ford dealership and they did a diagnostic on it and it is the steering gear and lower control arms that are malfunctioning and they also said the control board might have to be replaced. I wish I had more time ahead warning than just 5 minutes before my car broke down. What would have happened if I was on the highway and could not turn my car.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Feb 142015

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that the check power steering and stability traction control warning lamps illuminated. While driving at an unknown speed, the steering wheel locked and was unable to be turned. The vehicle was towed to the authorized dealer who diagnosed that the steering gear needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 72,200.

- Glasgow, KY, USA

Jan 142015

Fusion 6-cyl

I placed my car in reverse and began to back up. The steering locked up and the message center indicated power steering assist fault. I turned the car off and re-started and the steering was normal. I drove a few hundred feet down the road and the steering locked up again. This time it remained locked. It was not easy, but I was able to drive to a near by Ford dealer. They said the rack and pinion steering went bad and needed to be replaced. I complained that I have heard there is a potential recall for this defect. The service writer told me don't believe everything you hear. The out of pocket cost to me for repair was $1,929.44. I have been a Ford owner most of my life, but will never buy another one unless Ford makes good on this obvious defect.

- Joppa, MD, USA

Aug 142012

Power steering went out when driving. Had it fixed to the amount of $1300 replaced the rack and pinion steering. Six months later while driving again the power steering failed again. Replaced the rack and pinion again. Not even two weeks later, and not having driven it no more than fifty miles, the power steering failed again. This is a serious problem.

- Easley, SC, USA

Feb 142015

First the advance track warning light came on and service power steering. No problems the next morning my husband drove the car to the grocery store and the service power steering now came across the screen, which then the steering just went out without warning. Thank god he was driving because its normally the car I drive making this a very dangerous situation. Now Ford is telling me they will not help with servicing the problem and its 2100 to fix.

- Hobart, IN, USA