CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2011 Fusion builds off the 2010's reputation. That's not a good thing.

2011 Ford Fusion steering problems

2011 Ford Fusion Owner Comments (Page 13 of 28)

Oct 082014

Fusion

Why is GM recalling steering failure problems for the same type of problem I have been experiencing with the Ford Fusion 2011? I understand Ford recalled a couple other models but has not addressed the Fusion steering failure and many are aware of the Fusion steering loss problem. Complaints & lawsuits have been filed but nothing is being done.

- Brooklyn, MI, USA

Jan 082015

Fusion 4-cyl

Started the car to go home from work and the dash lights indicated "power steering assist fault" and it would not let me turn steering wheel. I turned the car off, turned it back on and it showed up again while I was going about 10mph so I had to stop, turn off the engine and start it up again. I was able to go home but this same thing has happened many times before. This malfunction is incredibly unsafe and I would hate for it to happen at high speeds or with my wife driving.

- Okc, OK, USA

Aug 042014

Fusion 6-cyl

I was driving and a ding sound was presented so I looked at the dashboard and it said power steering needed. So as I was parking and got out got back in my car and cranked it up it said power steering service needed now and as I took off to drive it was hard to steer the wheel.

- Mobile, AL, USA

Feb 092015

Fusion

When backing out of the drive way attempted to turn and steering was very difficult and steering assist fault was displayed on the instrument cluster. I was able to get the car back in the garage and turned the car off. About two hours later my husband came home from work and looked at the fuses, didn't find anything wrong. He started the car and the error was gone. I used this car to get myself and my children around town. I do not trust this car to get us to our destination safely with this type of an error being erratic. We just bought this car, how can it be having such major problems at such low mileage?

- Tucson, AZ, USA

Feb 032015

Fusion 4-cyl

When putting car in reverse, power steering assist light flashes and there is no power steering. When I turn ignition off, then restart, it is ok. This incident has happened approx 1 out of every 7 starts during the past week.

- Lincoln, NE, USA

Feb 062015

Fusion 4-cyl

Power steering assist went off resulting in the loss of power steering. Turned car off restarted and it worked again.

- Columbus, OH, USA

Nov 052014

Fusion 4-cyl

2011 Ford Fusion has had multiple occurrences at low speed either parking or backing in reverse where steering locks up and a warning light for advance trac comes on as well as a warning message about "power steering failed assist." Ability to steer becomes very difficult. Vehicle has under 28,000 miles on it and has always been maintained by Ford dealership. Ford dealer says warranty has "timed out" and the repairs will cost $1,900 and are not covered by any warranty support. Diagnosed part by Ford dealership is replacement needed of the electronic rack and pinion. A case number and complaint was also documented to Ford Motor Company in December 2014.

- Collierville, TN, USA

Jan 312015

Fusion 4-cyl

While driving down my street at 15 mph power steering went out and received warning of "power steering assist failure" and "service advancetrac." There were no prior issues with the steering and the vehicle is driven daily. After reading all of the complaints I can not believe that a recall has not been issued by Ford. This is extremely dangerous!! this is my first Ford vehicle. Prior to this I owned 8 Toyota over the years. I will not purchase another Ford vehicle after this experience.

- Norco, LA, USA

Jan 292015

Fusion 4-cyl

Power steering went out while exiting the freeway and almost caused an accident. Has happened several times.

- Houston, TX, USA

Jan 282015

Fusion

Turning corner to park, loss of power steering. Service advancetrac light and also anti slip light came on. I took to dealer and they just reset codes. Worked for 3 days andnthen total failure of advanctrac. Suburban Ford now says I need whole new rack and pinion assembly. Looks like this is a major issue with units.

- Bruce Township, MI, USA

Dec 222014

Fusion

While driving on 12/21/14, a service power steering and service advancetrac warning lights came on. I was able to get home but the following morning had no power steering whatsoever. Leo kaytes Ford in warwick, NY performed a software update which seemed to correct the issue but said I would need to replace the ps system at a price of $2200 if it occurred again. On 1/28, the same warning lights came over an hour from home on a busy highway. I was just barely able to get home and lost all power steering altogether as soon as I turned my car off. This is an extremely dangerous situation that seems to impact Ford Fusion from 2010 to 2012. Ford needs to issue a recall.

- Warwick, NY, USA

Jan 242015

Fusion 4-cyl

Vehicle was in motion when the ability to steer failed. As I was turning into a shopping center the steering failed. Nearly missing impact I was able to get the vehicle into a safe spot in the parking lot. This was a complete component failure. Dealer is charging $1,811.95 to make the repair. Called Ford Motor Company customer service. They refused to pay even though the car is a 2011, Ford Fusion with only 40,457 miles.

- Farmington Hills, MI, USA

Jan 232015

Fusion

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that while driving at approximately 35 mph, the steering wheel seized without warning. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 70,178.

- Middlesex, SC, USA

Jan 192015

Fusion

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that while driving at approximately 45 mph, the steering wheel seized as the power steering and check advance track system warning indicators illuminated. The failure recurred numerous times. The vehicle was taken to a dealer, where it was diagnosed that the power steering system needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 87,000.

- Rochester, NY, USA

Oct 022014

Fusion 6-cyl

I took my vehicle to a dealer for evaluation because I got a "power steering assist fault" error message. The steering became very stiff and I turned the ignition off and back on and was able to get steering. The dealer told me that they were unable to duplicate the message and said the steering was fine. I told them that this is a known issue with this vehicle and that in fact there was a class action lawsuit against Ford for it. They claimed no knowledge and repeated there was nothing wrong with the steering. On 12/30/14 I attempted to use my vehicle late in the afternoon. I again got this message and when turning the wheel heard a terrible grinding/groaning noise in either direction. Turning off the ignition and restarting did not resolve so the next morning I called a tow truck to take my vehicle back to the dealer. This time I was told there is indeed a problem and that I need a new steering rack. My repair bill was $1,821.48. Had I been on the road when this occurred who knows what might have happened. I think it is unconscionable that Ford is aware of this issue but refuses to address it.

- Estero, FL, USA

Jan 152015

Fusion

Twice now my vehicle has lost power steering while driving. The lights suddenly come on saying "service power steering now" "service advancetrac". the first time this happened they were able to reset the computer stating it was an issue with the electronic computer. Now it has happened again and it is completely unsafe. This is not the only electrical issue I have had with this car. About a year ago the electronic throttle body sensor went on it. This was an intense safety problem that was thankfully recalled. Ford really needs to realize the implications of electronic issues in this vehicle.

- Mansfield, MA, USA

Oct 232014

Fusion

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that after starting the vehicle, the steering wheel seized. The vehicle was taken to a dealer, who diagnosed that the electrical steering gear needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 103,000.

- Cape May Court House , NJ, USA

Jan 152015

Fusion

I was leaving school and put my car in reverse, a chime came on and a message was shown saying power steering assist fault. I put it back in park and turned it off and back on again and drove straight home. This just happened and by reading the comments I am terrified to drive my car anymore, even to the shop. I do not make enough money to pay for the maintenance. This is definitely a safety hazard and needs to be addressed right away. This sounds to me like it needs to be a recall!!! if it happens while I'm driving I could be liable to hit something or someone else and my car be damaged. I feel a recall is very necessary!

- Sellersburg, IN, USA

Dec 102014

Fusion

Letter from congresswoman slaughter on behalf of constituent re safety concerns with certain Ford automotive products (attn: John pellito). 2011 Ford Fusion. The consumer stated her son was driving, when suddenly the vehicle became difficult to steer.

- Rochester, NY, USA

Jan 072015

Fusion 6-cyl

Without warning the power steering stopped working. I was able to get the vehicle to the side of the road. Power assist steering fault was indicated in the message center. I turned the car off and restarted. The power steering was working again, so I proceeded down the road only to have the same thing occur a short distance down the road. From that point the power assist steering fault came back on and the car has no power steering. I'm thankful I was not traveling at highway speed because the vehicle is extremely hard to steer without the power assist.

- Joppa, MD, USA