Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2011 Fusion builds off the 2010's reputation. That's not a good thing.

2011 Ford Fusion steering problems

2011 Ford Fusion Owner Comments (Page 13 of 28)

Oct 232014

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that after starting the vehicle, the steering wheel seized. The vehicle was taken to a dealer, who diagnosed that the electrical steering gear needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 103,000.

- Cape May Court House , NJ, USA

Jan 152015

I was leaving school and put my car in reverse, a chime came on and a message was shown saying power steering assist fault. I put it back in park and turned it off and back on again and drove straight home. This just happened and by reading the comments I am terrified to drive my car anymore, even to the shop. I do not make enough money to pay for the maintenance. This is definitely a safety hazard and needs to be addressed right away. This sounds to me like it needs to be a recall!!! if it happens while I'm driving I could be liable to hit something or someone else and my car be damaged. I feel a recall is very necessary!

- Sellersburg, IN, USA

Dec 102014

Letter from congresswoman slaughter on behalf of constituent re safety concerns with certain Ford automotive products (attn: John pellito). 2011 Ford Fusion. The consumer stated her son was driving, when suddenly the vehicle became difficult to steer.

- Rochester, NY, USA

Jan 072015

Fusion 6-cyl

Without warning the power steering stopped working. I was able to get the vehicle to the side of the road. Power assist steering fault was indicated in the message center. I turned the car off and restarted. The power steering was working again, so I proceeded down the road only to have the same thing occur a short distance down the road. From that point the power assist steering fault came back on and the car has no power steering. I'm thankful I was not traveling at highway speed because the vehicle is extremely hard to steer without the power assist.

- Joppa, MD, USA

Nov 182014

Fusion 6-cyl

I have a 2011 Ford Fusion that started having power steering issues to where I would intermittently have increased steering resistance while driving. This went on for a few weeks but I was still able to steer the car however it was a major annoyance. No warning lights ever came on however eventually it came to where when I went to start my car the wheels would lock up and I could not turn the steering wheel at all. After restarting or warming my car the steering would occasionally come back, but it was extremely frustrating. I had no choice but to take it to my Ford dealership and pay the $1500 to have the steering rack replaced. With 64000 miles on the car this is truly unacceptable and I'm hoping after a recall investigation I will be able to have my repair cost refunded.

- Fairfield, OH, USA

Oct 292014

The steering completely locked up in driveway, 3 people tried to turn the tires, stuck at 11 oclock position, we could not turn wheels, and towed to shop. This is the shop writing this.

- Dillingham, AK, USA

May 222014

The power steering is not working.the vehicle is hard to make turns. I only had this car almost 3 years and I purchased it used. The power steering is gone and I have seen a lot of complaints about this model with power steering problems. I know there should be some kind of recall on this vehicle. I can not afford to have this fixed. I am hoping that you all will check into this. It is unsafe. I am considering the news about this because I keep getting the run around. I love my car and I just can't afford to have it fixed because of this mechanical problem.

- Erwin, NC, USA

Jan 012015

I lost power steering when coming down my street, if I had been on open highway I have no doubt I would have crashed. Now the car sits in my driveway, because I have no warranty to cover the needed work, my first and last Ford !!!!!

- Mdison, WV, USA

Jan 042015

While driving on the express way the car lost power steering and the power steering failure light came on. Became almost impossible to turn the vehicle. The dash messaging system read service advancetrac. We tried resetting everything, turning the car on and off, nothing fixed it so we are taking it to the dealership. But read it was a common issue and we believe it should be recalled so something like this does not happen to someone else and end in a fatality.

- Newark, OH, USA

Jan 012015

Fusion 4-cyl

This has happened a few times in my Ford Fusion sel. Usually I will be driving about 10-15 mph, when suddenly the power steering fails and I get a message, accompanied by a loud beep, on the dash, warning me that it has failed. The car becomes almost impossible to control when the steering fails. Most of the times it fails, it does it while turning into a parking lot. A few times it has happened while backing out of a parking spot. This is extremely dangerous and highly annoying, since I still owe money on this car, and I was promised up and down what a safe, reliable, and affordable car it was.

- St. Charles, MO, USA

Dec 292014

Fusion 4-cyl

As I was pulling into my driveway the power steering shut down and the "power steering assist default" warning came on. At that point I was already in my driveway but could no longer steer the car at all. Now I cannot drive the car.

- Brick, NJ, USA

Dec 302014

I drove to wal-mart it was fine but when I left wal-mart I drove.back home the service power steering and advantrec light came on I had to struggle turning.the wheel the fastest I was going was 35.

- Fayetteville, NC, USA

Dec 312014

Fusion 4-cyl

Steering failure assist light came on first thing this morning at 6:30am. Was wondering if this has ever been a recalled part for the 2011 Ford Fusion.

- Jacksonville, AL, USA

Dec 302014

While driving, the advance trac light came on. Then an error message telling me to service power steering. The wheel suddenly became hard to turn while driving. There was no advanced warning. As soon as the light came on, the car became difficult to steer.

- Richmond, VA, USA

Oct 132014

Fusion 6-cyl

I was driving the vehicle and the skid/slide light came on. Not much longer the power steering/advancetrac warning came on and I completely lost power steering, almost running off the road.

- Lubbock, TX, USA

Dec 272014

While driving my 2011 Ford Fusion sel V6 on December 25th, 2014, the advance track light came on. It stayed on until I parked the car in the garage about 10 miles (15 minutes) later. Two days later, on a trip from North Carolina to Kentucky, the advance track light came on again. This time it came on and stayed again until the car was parked at the final destination in Kentucky. It stayed on for about 50 miles +/-. later in the day, I got in the vehicle to take a short trip to the grocery store. When I started down the road, at approximately 30 mph, the "service power steering" and " service advance track system" error codes popped up and the power steering just quit working. I still had steering in the car but it took most all the strength I had (and I'm no small guy) to muscle the car to the side of the road and get it stopped. I hate to think what would have happened if my wife, son, or daughter had been driving the car at the time. I towed the car home on 12/28/14 and scheduled an appointment at the local Ford dealer for 2 pm today (12/29/14).

- Hudson, NC, USA

Dec 192014

Fusion 4-cyl

On December 19 I started my car and tried to drive away. However, the steering wheel appeared locked. It would not budge. I cut the car off and restarted it, and the wheel then moved. This happened again on December 21, 25, and 27, but on the 27, a message appeared: "power steering assist fault." On December 28, the power steering went out while I was driving down a nearby street. I had to manhandle the steering wheel and coast to a stop. Again I received the message.

- Douglas, GA, USA

Dec 032014

I have lost power steering twice now. It has always been when I have just started my car. I start the car, back out of a parking spot and when I put the car in drive I lose power steering and a power steering failure light comes on. I have been able to drive the car to a safe area and turn it off and restart the car. This seems to reset the power steering.

- Meeker, OK, USA

Dec 012014

Driving son to school on secondary road with turns; light came on indicating failure of the power steering assist and the power steering went out. Had to drive several hundred feet to attempt to get the vehicle off the road safely. Turned the car off; then restarted and the system reset. Second occurrence a few days later when is started the vehicle. I put it in reverse and again the indicator lights came on with the same error message. Restarted the vehicle and the system reset.

- Slippery Rock, PA, USA

Dec 102014

While pilling out of a parking space the steering assist failed making the vehicle difficult to steer. Car had to sit and be restarted before regaining steering. Since the incident there are steering assist warnings on the dash. The problem appears randomly and very concerned steering will be lost at high speeds or hit someone or something at low speeds.

- Washington, DC, USA