CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2011 Fusion builds off the 2010's reputation. That's not a good thing.

2011 Ford Fusion steering problems

2011 Ford Fusion Owner Comments (Page 13 of 28)

Jan 292015

Fusion 4-cyl

Power steering went out while exiting the freeway and almost caused an accident. Has happened several times.

- Houston, TX, USA

Jan 282015

Fusion

Turning corner to park, loss of power steering. Service advancetrac light and also anti slip light came on. I took to dealer and they just reset codes. Worked for 3 days andnthen total failure of advanctrac. Suburban Ford now says I need whole new rack and pinion assembly. Looks like this is a major issue with units.

- Bruce Township, MI, USA

Dec 222014

Fusion

While driving on 12/21/14, a service power steering and service advancetrac warning lights came on. I was able to get home but the following morning had no power steering whatsoever. Leo kaytes Ford in warwick, NY performed a software update which seemed to correct the issue but said I would need to replace the ps system at a price of $2200 if it occurred again. On 1/28, the same warning lights came over an hour from home on a busy highway. I was just barely able to get home and lost all power steering altogether as soon as I turned my car off. This is an extremely dangerous situation that seems to impact Ford Fusion from 2010 to 2012. Ford needs to issue a recall.

- Warwick, NY, USA

Jan 242015

Fusion 4-cyl

Vehicle was in motion when the ability to steer failed. As I was turning into a shopping center the steering failed. Nearly missing impact I was able to get the vehicle into a safe spot in the parking lot. This was a complete component failure. Dealer is charging $1,811.95 to make the repair. Called Ford Motor Company customer service. They refused to pay even though the car is a 2011, Ford Fusion with only 40,457 miles.

- Farmington Hills, MI, USA

Jan 232015

Fusion

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that while driving at approximately 35 mph, the steering wheel seized without warning. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 70,178.

- Middlesex, SC, USA

Jan 192015

Fusion

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that while driving at approximately 45 mph, the steering wheel seized as the power steering and check advance track system warning indicators illuminated. The failure recurred numerous times. The vehicle was taken to a dealer, where it was diagnosed that the power steering system needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 87,000.

- Rochester, NY, USA

Oct 022014

Fusion 6-cyl

I took my vehicle to a dealer for evaluation because I got a "power steering assist fault" error message. The steering became very stiff and I turned the ignition off and back on and was able to get steering. The dealer told me that they were unable to duplicate the message and said the steering was fine. I told them that this is a known issue with this vehicle and that in fact there was a class action lawsuit against Ford for it. They claimed no knowledge and repeated there was nothing wrong with the steering. On 12/30/14 I attempted to use my vehicle late in the afternoon. I again got this message and when turning the wheel heard a terrible grinding/groaning noise in either direction. Turning off the ignition and restarting did not resolve so the next morning I called a tow truck to take my vehicle back to the dealer. This time I was told there is indeed a problem and that I need a new steering rack. My repair bill was $1,821.48. Had I been on the road when this occurred who knows what might have happened. I think it is unconscionable that Ford is aware of this issue but refuses to address it.

- Estero, FL, USA

Jan 152015

Fusion

Twice now my vehicle has lost power steering while driving. The lights suddenly come on saying "service power steering now" "service advancetrac". the first time this happened they were able to reset the computer stating it was an issue with the electronic computer. Now it has happened again and it is completely unsafe. This is not the only electrical issue I have had with this car. About a year ago the electronic throttle body sensor went on it. This was an intense safety problem that was thankfully recalled. Ford really needs to realize the implications of electronic issues in this vehicle.

- Mansfield, MA, USA

Oct 232014

Fusion

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that after starting the vehicle, the steering wheel seized. The vehicle was taken to a dealer, who diagnosed that the electrical steering gear needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 103,000.

- Cape May Court House , NJ, USA

Jan 152015

Fusion

I was leaving school and put my car in reverse, a chime came on and a message was shown saying power steering assist fault. I put it back in park and turned it off and back on again and drove straight home. This just happened and by reading the comments I am terrified to drive my car anymore, even to the shop. I do not make enough money to pay for the maintenance. This is definitely a safety hazard and needs to be addressed right away. This sounds to me like it needs to be a recall!!! if it happens while I'm driving I could be liable to hit something or someone else and my car be damaged. I feel a recall is very necessary!

- Sellersburg, IN, USA

Dec 102014

Fusion

Letter from congresswoman slaughter on behalf of constituent re safety concerns with certain Ford automotive products (attn: John pellito). 2011 Ford Fusion. The consumer stated her son was driving, when suddenly the vehicle became difficult to steer.

- Rochester, NY, USA

Jan 072015

Fusion 6-cyl

Without warning the power steering stopped working. I was able to get the vehicle to the side of the road. Power assist steering fault was indicated in the message center. I turned the car off and restarted. The power steering was working again, so I proceeded down the road only to have the same thing occur a short distance down the road. From that point the power assist steering fault came back on and the car has no power steering. I'm thankful I was not traveling at highway speed because the vehicle is extremely hard to steer without the power assist.

- Joppa, MD, USA

Nov 182014

Fusion 6-cyl

I have a 2011 Ford Fusion that started having power steering issues to where I would intermittently have increased steering resistance while driving. This went on for a few weeks but I was still able to steer the car however it was a major annoyance. No warning lights ever came on however eventually it came to where when I went to start my car the wheels would lock up and I could not turn the steering wheel at all. After restarting or warming my car the steering would occasionally come back, but it was extremely frustrating. I had no choice but to take it to my Ford dealership and pay the $1500 to have the steering rack replaced. With 64000 miles on the car this is truly unacceptable and I'm hoping after a recall investigation I will be able to have my repair cost refunded.

- Fairfield, OH, USA

Oct 292014

Fusion

The steering completely locked up in driveway, 3 people tried to turn the tires, stuck at 11 oclock position, we could not turn wheels, and towed to shop. This is the shop writing this.

- Dillingham, AK, USA

May 222014

Fusion

The power steering is not working.the vehicle is hard to make turns. I only had this car almost 3 years and I purchased it used. The power steering is gone and I have seen a lot of complaints about this model with power steering problems. I know there should be some kind of recall on this vehicle. I can not afford to have this fixed. I am hoping that you all will check into this. It is unsafe. I am considering the news about this because I keep getting the run around. I love my car and I just can't afford to have it fixed because of this mechanical problem.

- Erwin, NC, USA

Jan 012015

Fusion

I lost power steering when coming down my street, if I had been on open highway I have no doubt I would have crashed. Now the car sits in my driveway, because I have no warranty to cover the needed work, my first and last Ford !!!!!

- Mdison, WV, USA

Jan 042015

Fusion

While driving on the express way the car lost power steering and the power steering failure light came on. Became almost impossible to turn the vehicle. The dash messaging system read service advancetrac. We tried resetting everything, turning the car on and off, nothing fixed it so we are taking it to the dealership. But read it was a common issue and we believe it should be recalled so something like this does not happen to someone else and end in a fatality.

- Newark, OH, USA

Jan 012015

Fusion 4-cyl

This has happened a few times in my Ford Fusion sel. Usually I will be driving about 10-15 mph, when suddenly the power steering fails and I get a message, accompanied by a loud beep, on the dash, warning me that it has failed. The car becomes almost impossible to control when the steering fails. Most of the times it fails, it does it while turning into a parking lot. A few times it has happened while backing out of a parking spot. This is extremely dangerous and highly annoying, since I still owe money on this car, and I was promised up and down what a safe, reliable, and affordable car it was.

- St. Charles, MO, USA

Dec 292014

Fusion 4-cyl

As I was pulling into my driveway the power steering shut down and the "power steering assist default" warning came on. At that point I was already in my driveway but could no longer steer the car at all. Now I cannot drive the car.

- Brick, NJ, USA

Dec 302014

Fusion

I drove to wal-mart it was fine but when I left wal-mart I drove.back home the service power steering and advantrec light came on I had to struggle turning.the wheel the fastest I was going was 35.

- Fayetteville, NC, USA