CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2011 Fusion builds off the 2010's reputation. That's not a good thing.

2011 Ford Fusion steering problems

2011 Ford Fusion Owner Comments (Page 15 of 28)

Dec 062014

Fusion 4-cyl

My vehicle lost its power steering. A error message came up "power steering assist fault and service autotrac.. I restarted the car hoping it was just a glitch in the system, but it was not. I had no power steering. I took it to the Ford dealer and they told me it was the sensor the cost of the repair is close to $2000. I had no choice but to get it fixed and it was very costly. I have asked other owners of this same vehicle and a few of them have had the same problem. This is a disgrace that Ford does not see this as a issue for a recall. This is my last Ford vehicle.

- Forty Fort, PA, USA

Dec 082014

Fusion 4-cyl

Power steering failed. Received indication of advancetrac needing service as well as power steering failure. I have noticed some issues of this nature for over one year and 15,000 miles as when the car is first started and put into reverse there would be, on occasion, no power steering and I'd get advancetrac needs service warning. By putting the car in drive I could sometimes get the power steering back or if I shut the engine off and restarted. Power steering completely failed now at 43,000 miles and I've been told by the Ford dealership that the module as well as the steering gear--the whole system--has to be replaced per diagnostics.

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

Nov 262014

Fusion 4-cyl

While driving on the interstate at 70 mph the steering wheel went firm and the power steering assist warning started flashing on the dash. I had to struggle to get to the car pulled over, muscled it over with everything humanly possible in me. I shut it off, start it again, warning had cleared, and I continued to drive without problems. This area is mountainous and very dangerous. This has occurred 3 other times while starting the car.

- Fayetteville, AR, USA

Dec 072014

Fusion 4-cyl

When turning on the vehicle, I get a "power steering assist fault" error message. The car loses power steering and I am not able to turn the wheel.

- Macedonia, OH, USA

Mar 072014

Fusion 4-cyl

Power steering has gone out at least 5 times since March at different rates of speed. We have been fortunate that no one has been hurt. Asked the Ford dealership about a recall but was told there was not one even thought this is a widespread problem with 2010 to 2012 models.

- Statesboro , GA, USA

Nov 222014

Fusion

Driving down the road, suddenly my dashboard lights up with bells & whistles saying power steering service now. Also advance track service now. There was no crash (thankfully). Tried to restart car, hopefully to clear out error code but it still shows. No power steering. When we tried to go home, it took both myself and my husband to turn the wheel onto residential streets and our driveway. Thankfully a friend followed us home to avoid an accident caused by lack of control in steering. With only having the car for a year and having 57K miles...it should not have these issues!

- Bedford, TX, USA

Fusion 4-cyl

As the vehicle was being driven down the road the power steer completely went out making it extremely difficult to control and maneuver. I called Ford customer care after learning there has been multiple previous problems with the power assist motor. The agent was polite and concern but offered no help only to say "she hadn't received any info from Ford on any recalls".

- Nixa, MO, USA

Jun 032013

Fusion 6-cyl

Power steering failed while driving. No power until vehicle was shut off and restarted.

- Ivor, VA, USA

Fusion

I was slowing to make a right turn, power steering assist failed, forcing me to steer manually, with great difficulty, to safely stop. Warning light came on indicating power steering assist failure. I turned engine off, then restarted and system functioned properly. Research on the internet indicates I am not the only case. Ford should issue a recall for repair of this potentially dangerous failure.

- Chatham, MA, USA

Oct 012014

Fusion

While driving one Saturday evening out of no where the car idles down to about 5 mph until it stops, the steering wheel and gas pedal locks up and my husband and I are stuck in the middle of the road with traffic behind us, thankfully there was no accident. I then put the car in park, switched to key back to turn it off and back on to try and move it from the road to the gas station that we were right in front of (thank god). We eventually got the car in the parking lot and noticed the wrench light and the check engine light were both on. We did our research and found out it is a problem concerning the throttle body, in which I heard is very costly. The problem stopped for about a week then started again and happens randomly while in traffic, again thank god no accident has occurred. This car is my husband and I only means of transportation right now and I am 4&1/2 months pregnant so we need this car to travel not only to and from work but also my doctor visits. I don't know if anyone else has experienced this problem but it's a huge safety problem and we've only had the car for about 9 months.

- Kennesaw, GA, USA

Fusion

As we were driving home tonight from walmart my display said service power steering now and service advancetrac and we lost all power steering thank god my husband was driving because there was no way I could have been able to control the vehicle. It was the scariest thing that has ever happened to me in a vehicle along with our 6 year old daughter. We were in the middle of a sharp turn if I had been driving we surely would have went over an embankment.

- Cambridge, OH, USA

Nov 172014

Fusion

The power steering assist default has gone out on my car causing my whole steering to lock up it has done it more than once even as I was turning in a intersection.

- Glendale , AZ, USA

Nov 162014

Fusion 4-cyl

While driving I received an alert to service power steering and advance trac. I drove 1 mile and parked at my home, 11/17/2014 started the vehicle to go to work and had no power steering at all. My car is undriveable and is being towed to near by dealership.

- Salem, IL, USA

Nov 082014

Fusion 4-cyl

While turning into a parking lot the steering became very difficult. Once the car was in the parking spot I noticed that several warning lights had come on including the advanced track and power steering lights. The car was turned off then restarted. The advanced track light flashed while the power steering light stayed on. At that point the steering wheel could not be turned and the car had to be towed to a Ford dealership. They advised that the entire rack and pinion assembly had to be replaced. Prior to this event there were no indications of a problem.

- Manassas, VA, USA

Nov 152014

Fusion

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Fusion. While driving approximately 35 mph, the service power steering light illuminated and the steering wheel locked. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The failure mileage was 67,000. The VIN was not available.

- Van Buren, AR, USA

Nov 172014

Fusion 4-cyl

Was driving and my power steering stopped working. Dash indicates power steering assist fault. Service autotrac. I have no power steering and it is extremely hard to turn my steering. I have noticed that this is a problem with multiple Fusion owners and the car is quite new to be having such a serious problem. Not being able to steer or control your vehicle seems very dangerous.

- Eagan, MN, USA

Nov 122014

Fusion 4-cyl

Put car in drive and went to back out of drive way. Steering wheel went stiff and warnings of power assist steering fault and service advancetrac came up. Car has been this way since 11/12/2014 with no changes.

- Fort Oglethorpe, GA, USA

Nov 102014

Fusion 6-cyl

While driving my 2011 Ford Fusion, my power steering suddenly malfunctioned and stopped working. A message on the service dashboard stated "service advancetrac system". this occurred while turning the car. My children were in the car and an accident could have occurred. The car is very difficult to turn without the assisted power steering. I've reviewed the incident on several web sites and require assistance from the NHTSA in advising Ford to look into the issue and to take action to replace this apparent defect. Please visit these sites for additional concerns. www.fordfusionforum.com/topic/8411-service-advancetrac-and-power-steering-failure/ www.carcomplaints.com/Ford/Fusion/2011/steering/power_steering_failure.shtml thank you for reviewing.

- Round Rock, TX, USA

Oct 282014

Fusion

I bought this 2011 Ford Fusion with 42,331 miles. The next day after purchasing it I started it and pulled it out of the garage. There was no power steering. A power steering assist light was flashing. I put the car into park and killed the motor. When I started the car again everything was fine. I called to ask about it and they told me I might have just put the car into drive too quick not letting everything boot up. That was all in good but 2 days later it happened again and it never went off. I had no power steering. I took the car in and had it worked on. They replaced the power steering. 1400 dollars later I read all the other complaints about the same thing and wonder how long it will be before this new steering will go out. Ford if you have a problem step up and do the right thing before someone really gets hurt.

- Unknown, DC, USA

Nov 112014

Fusion

Started my 2011 Fusion to go home after work today. Got "power steering assist fault" in information window. Found power steering was indeed not working. Turned car off and restarted. Didn't get warning this time. Drove 10 minutes to home with no further issues. Very nervous about it happening again at the worst time. After seeing so many complaints here, Ford definitely needs to address this problem. I'm not really convinced that the gearbox replacement is the "fix".

- Huntington, IN, USA