Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2011 Fusion builds off the 2010's reputation. That's not a good thing.

2011 Ford Fusion steering problems

2011 Ford Fusion Owner Comments (Page 15 of 28)

Oct 282014

I bought this 2011 Ford Fusion with 42,331 miles. The next day after purchasing it I started it and pulled it out of the garage. There was no power steering. A power steering assist light was flashing. I put the car into park and killed the motor. When I started the car again everything was fine. I called to ask about it and they told me I might have just put the car into drive too quick not letting everything boot up. That was all in good but 2 days later it happened again and it never went off. I had no power steering. I took the car in and had it worked on. They replaced the power steering. 1400 dollars later I read all the other complaints about the same thing and wonder how long it will be before this new steering will go out. Ford if you have a problem step up and do the right thing before someone really gets hurt.

- Unknown, DC, USA

Nov 112014

Started my 2011 Fusion to go home after work today. Got "power steering assist fault" in information window. Found power steering was indeed not working. Turned car off and restarted. Didn't get warning this time. Drove 10 minutes to home with no further issues. Very nervous about it happening again at the worst time. After seeing so many complaints here, Ford definitely needs to address this problem. I'm not really convinced that the gearbox replacement is the "fix".

- Huntington, IN, USA

Oct 012014

TL-the contact owns a 2011 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that while making left hand, the steering wheel became seized and the power steering assist failure warning light illuminated. The contact would have to shut the vehicle off and restart to resume normal. The failure occurred on numerous occasions. The vehicle had not been diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 44,000.

- Batavia, OH, USA

Oct 252011

Fusion 6-cyl

As I was making a left turn after stopping at a stop sign, the steering wheel locked as I was midway through the turn. I could not move the steering wheel at all. I was able to stop the car thus avoiding a crash. At the suggestion of the motorist behind me who stopped to ask what the problem was, I then turned off the engine and restarted the car. The steering then worked. A day later, as I was driving at night, the headlights would not turn to bright. The next day, the problem did not reoccur.

- Oakland, CA, USA

Oct 172014

About 3 weeks ago I was driving on highway 60mph service power steering and service advance trac popped up in my message center I stopped at store went in then came out not even 5 mins later crunk car up then it said service power steering now tried to turn and the wheel was real tight. I've tried everything cutting it off disconnect battery etc nothing worked this is ridiculous just got car a month ago plus have two small boys two months N three years old jus by the grace of god they wasn't wit me cause that's dangerous something got to happen.

- Charlotte, NC, USA

Oct 292012

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that while driving 10 mph, the steering wheel became difficult to turn. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The technician diagnosed that the power steering was faulty. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The VIN was unavailable. The approximate failure mileage was 100,000.

- Abernathy, TX, USA

Nov 042014

Son driving southbound interstate 25 from greeley, co to denver, co. Power steering failed without notice. Warning light on dash reads "service advance trac power steering assist fault". son continued to destination, turned vehicle off. Once restarted, power steering returned, but failed again on return to greeley, co. Same warning light. System will no longer reset. Reviewed possible causes on line and found numerous incidents identical to mine.

- Greeley, CO, USA

Oct 252014

Fusion 4-cyl

When putting vehicle in reverse to back out of driveway, the power steering assist fault alert sounded and the vehicle lost power steering. I shut vehicle off and restarted it and put in reverse and it happened again. Shut if off again and restarted and was able to drive without alert sounding. Happened again next day, so I called Ford dealer and they said to bring in for analysis. Took vehicle to dealer and was told the rack and pinion needed to be replaced. Was told they cleared the codes and it would be okay to drive. Drove home from dealer (35 miles) and next day same thing happened when backing out driveway. Went online and found there are numerous complaints about this problem some happening when vehicle had low mileage. This problem could be dangerous because some people complained about vehicle losing all power steering while driving. Ford needs to take these complaints seriously and this should be a recall. My safety should be a high priority with Ford. I will have to pay $1,300 to replace these parts.

- Leitchfield, KY, USA

Nov 282013

While driving my 2011 Ford Fusion I lost all power steering to the vehicle. I couldn't control the steering and immediately turned the vehicle off to see if this resolved it. This happened two other times, and the issue resolved itself after I turned off the vehicle and turned it back on. This last time was a different story. The power steering went completely out, and it has never come back. I was driving to a restaurant, and got my vehicle parked okay, and I thought that the problem would be resolved after I turned it off and back on. This time it didn't. I had to have my vehicle towed home! (this was the occurrence on October 28, 2014. I have had my battery checked to make sure that it is not losing power, but the power steering is still out! I've seen lots of reports about this, and am hoping for a recall. I cannot afford to get this fixed if it costs as much as some of the other posts say (upwards of $2,000 to fix it) Ford needs to help all of these customers now!

- Atwater, CA, USA

Jul 012014

Fusion 4-cyl

Power steering failed numerous times, the latest of which was today. Usually it happens when just departing the driveway, but it once happened while moving on a street - it's scary. I understand the power steering is electrical. I had to replace the battery a couple months ago and I thought that might have taken care of the problem, but it has recurred within the last couple of weeks. I bought the car used and purchased the extended warranty which is still in effect, but the dealer was unable to replicate the problem so no cure was able to be undertaken. The dealer said if we wanted to, they could replace the steering mechanism for about $2,000 which we declined.

- Mechanicsburg, PA, USA

Nov 022014

While exiting the highway my car suddenly become extremely hard to steer my wife, child and myself where in the car at the time. I have bad the car looked at the can not find anything wrong with the rack assembly.

- St Louis, MO, USA

Nov 012014

Fusion 4-cyl

Power steering assist fault. Over the last 3 months, have had multiple random power steering assist faults. By shutting down vehicle and restarting, these have cleared in the past, but on Nov.2, 2014, upon start of vehicle, power steering assist fault occurred and would not clear. Was forced to drive car home without power steering and almost crashed multiple times. In addition, this fault sometimes has occurred at same time as advancetrac warning. Appears that whatever electrical device is failing is related to both systems.

- Anderson, SC, USA

Oct 272014

Fusion 4-cyl

While driving to doctors appointment, electric power steering failed and caused extreme discomfort to right wrist with existing disability; which requires power assisted steering.

- Willard, OH, USA

Oct 302014

Fusion 6-cyl

The first two times, I was backing out of a space and then start to turn the wheels while driving away and the steering locks. I can drive back forward into the space, then turn off the car and turn it back on and things are fine. The third time, I was simply turning out of my subdivision and the steering locked again.

- Orlando, FL, USA

Oct 302014

Fusion 4-cyl

My wife was driving then car she went into a parking lot and the power steering went out. Now she has to drive the car another forty five miles to our house with the baby and my younger son and I worry for their safety.

- Taft, CA, USA

Aug 202014

Driving and power steering goes out and am unable to steer vehicle warning lights come on stating advance service trac and power steering. Has happened 3 times first time power steering came back on after car shut off. Next 2 car was taken to Ford.

- Fruita, CO, USA

Apr 112014

Fusion 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that while driving at approximately 5 mph, the steering wheel became difficult to turn without warning. The vehicle was taken to a private mechanic where it was diagnosed that the power steering rack and pinion needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 51,717. Updated 12/17/14 updated 6/2/2015

- Oskaloosa, IA, USA

Oct 162014

Fusion 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Fusion. While driving 25 mph, the steering wheel seized and the power steering vault light illuminated. The dealer stated that the power steering gear needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 90,000. Updated 7/9/15

- Pontotoc, MS, USA

Aug 012014

The power steering assist is failing. It will continually fail and vehicle is hard to steer/control. Numerous complaints this vehicle needs to have a recall issued.

- Kennesaw, GA, USA

Oct 112014

Fusion 4-cyl

First, we received a "power steering assist failure" message followed by a "service advancetrac" message. Then the power steering went out and the car became extremely difficult to control. I am thankful that my wife was not driving at the time; I don't know that she would have had the strength to maintain control and maneuver the car safely to the side of the road.

- Pensacola, FL, USA