CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2011 Fusion builds off the 2010's reputation. That's not a good thing.

2011 Ford Fusion steering problems

2011 Ford Fusion Owner Comments (Page 17 of 28)

Sep 102014

Fusion 6-cyl

While driving into work, my power steering locked, my "advacetrac" warning light came on, and my dashboard text block stated "power assist failure." Thankfully, traffic was light and I was able to muscle my car onto the side of the road. I turned it off and back on again, and the power steering worked. A little over a month later (October 15), the power steering failed again, this time while I was trying to park. Turning the vehicle off, then back on again corrected the problem. I have spoken with a Ford dealer, who advised me that unless the problem exists when I bring the vehicle in, there's nothing that can be done. This has now happened three times (the first time about a year ago), and this is the second complaint I've filed. Simple internet searches, as well as a search of NHTSA complaints indicates this is a well-documented problem. I'm not sure why it has not yet been addressed.

- South Euclid, OH, USA

Sep 252014

Fusion 4-cyl

Pulling out of driveway, made a left hand turn to main road, power steering locked into place, could not move it. Had to stop car. Happened while driving. Turned car off once it was turned back on it was back to normal again and was able to move steering again.

- Old Bridge, NJ, USA

Oct 122014

Fusion 4-cyl

While driving the car, the power steering light randomly flickered and the front wheels locked. The car started to make a noise and I could barely steer the car to a safe area. I was able to pull over and shut the car off. I decided to turn the car back on and the message had disappeared and the car started to work properly.it was so scary and could have been fatal. This was the second time that this has happened in the last 3 months after seeing the dealer and consulting about this problem. The dealer didn't seem to make a big deal out of the issue but it is a serious hazard to myself and the other drivers around me.

- Louisville, KY, USA

Sep 292014

Fusion 4-cyl

My daughter was driving a 2011 Ford Fusion the state police said she fell asleep because she worked overnight. Yes she works overnight and has been doing it for 6 months. She was on her regular schedule. After dropping her boyfriend off work she was heading to my house on a real popular deer road. I believe she was swerving off the road to try an avoid the deer and lost her steering and hit a tree. I know my daughter she wouldn't have fell asleep. I hope to god this could be proven one day.the engine tires everything on front end was inside the car. I have pieces of the car that was left there her credit card birth certificate was just laying on the ground. I have pictures of the car showing the engine and tire in the car.

- Port Norris, NJ, USA

Oct 132014

Fusion 4-cyl

I was driving around 1:00 pm when message came on display indicating 'check power steering now' and no longer had power steering. Luckily, I was driving at a low speed so was able to safely get home.

- Smyrna, GA, USA

Jun 232014

Fusion 4-cyl

Driving down the road (curvy) heard warning chime and electrical power steering assist failure showed up on dash read out. Very hard to steer. Turned engine off and it reset. Happened 3 times. Took car to dealer they replaced gear assy. Not covered by warranty cost $1454.24.

- Hamilton, OH, USA

Jul 152013

Fusion 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Fusion. While driving approximately 35 mph, the power steering warning indicator illuminated. In addition, while attempting to turn the vehicle, the steering wheel seized and the contact had to use extreme force to control the steering wheel. The dealer stated that the power steering assembly needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired, but the failure persisted. The manufacturer was notified. The approximate failure mileage was 41,015. Updated 7/7/15

- Goodyear, AZ, USA

Sep 102014

Fusion

One month ago my car read default in power steering and the wheel would not turn. I could not drive the car. I turned off the vehicle and restarted and it went away. As a precaution I took it to the dealer who said it was ok and if it happened again bring it back. Well the next week it did and no matter how much I restarted the car it was locked with the same default code. I had it towed to dealer for repairs. They said the repairs were not covered under warranty and since my warranty just expired at the end of July I had to pay for repairs. The part replaced was steering gear assembly. It seems the same parts was defective in a lot of other Ford vehicles. My fear is that it will happened while driving and an accident or death will occur from this problem. I am afraid to drive the car. The car only has 7K miles on it and is in perfect condition otherwise and is serviced regularly for preventative maintenance.

- Baltimore, MD, USA

Sep 082014

Fusion

A few days before the incident I had started my car and the steering wheel would not turn and felt stuck then a message popped up in my dash saying power steering fault. So I turned my car off and let it sit for about 2 minutes and started it back up and it drove fine. Then a couple days later I was arriving to a stop light and the steering just went out and luckily I was right next to a gas station and pulled into the side and turned the car off. I tried letting the car sit and see if it would re start fine just like the last time but this time when I started the car the message would appear again in the dash and the wheel was not turning. I tried multiple times turning the car off and on and it wouldn't change. I then had to get a tow truck and have it towed to a mechanic. I was told I had to replace the rack and pinion and it would take about 2 days for the parts and labor to be done.

- Galveston, TX, USA

Oct 042014

Fusion

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Fusion. The contact stated the service advanced traction and the power steering warning light illuminated as the power steering assist failed. The vehicle was not taken to a dealer. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 86,500.

- Rocky Point, NY, USA

Fusion 6-cyl

I was slowing down to turn the corner and the power steering completely went out. Had to steer hard to get to the side of the road. I re-started the car and it is working fine since. This just happened this morning on my way to work.

- Ellensburg, WA, USA

Fusion 4-cyl

Power steering assist failure while driving. Luckily we were able to get vehicle safely off highway.

- Knoxville, TN, USA

- Knoxville, TN, USA

Oct 062013

Fusion 4-cyl

Was exiting highway and depressed the brake. Car pulled to the left and power steering went out. Advance trac failure message displayed on indicator panel. Pulled off the road, turned off engine, then restarted the vehicle. All systems started normally. Took vehicle to Ford dealer for service on November 1st, 2013. They checked brakes and indicated all was fine. Also indicated no error message was in memory of the service module. As history, car has always had issues with pulling when braking (and sometimes when accelerating). Typically pulls to the left, but sometimes to the right. Never had it thoroughly checked until this visit as symptom is not consistent. Pulling is still occurring sporadically as of this date.

- Scott Depot, WV, USA

Oct 062014

Fusion

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that while driving 65 mph, the power steering suddenly malfunctioned causing the steering wheel to become very difficult to turn. The contact indicated that during the incident the service power steering message had displayed. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The technician diagnosed that the power steering pump was faulty and would need to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was 60,000.

- North Chesterfield, VA, USA

Sep 152010

Fusion

Steering power assist & traction failed while I was in traffic. Power steering assist failed twice before as I backed out of garage.

- Woodridge, IL, USA

Jul 072014

Fusion 4-cyl

After starting the vehicle and attempting to pull out of a parking lot, the steering became very difficult. The car had to be pulled into a separate parking lot and restarted. After restarting, the steering returned to normal. In the following days, when the car was started, sometimes the steering would be very stiff and a warning would display on the instrument panel. In some cases, turning the car off and back on would resolve the problem. Eventually the problem could not be fixed by restarting the car. I took the car to the Ford dealership where I was told that the gear assembly had to be replaced. I had to pay over $2,000 for parts and labor since my car was 1 month beyond its warranty period at the time.

- Fort Mill, SC, USA

Jul 072014

Fusion 4-cyl

When starting, console displayed "power assist steering failure". power steering would not work. Required turning car off and on again (sometimes multiple cycles) to get the power steering working. Ford dealer read code C200D (steering gear internal failure), which required a new power steering rack. Ford did pay half of the bill, but my half was still high at $863. I was told this failure would not occur during driving, however I had read and heard this was not always the case. Therefore I had it fixed before it failed while driving or completely failed which would require a tow. This should not happen with a car with 40,000 miles on it and just over 3 years after purchase. This component has no dealer replaceable parts which means the consumer has an expensive repair.

- Weldon Spring , MO, USA

Jul 312014

Fusion

First occurrence: While driving in urban setting and preparing to make a turn, I lost power steering assist. Having driven cars without power steering, I was able to manually steer to car to our destination. I turned the car off for 10 minutes and when I restarted, the power steering operated correctly. Additional occurrences: When starting the car and trying to move there is no power steering assist. Turning off the key and restarting resets the power steering. Some of the time an error message shows up indicating a power steering failure and sometimes it doesn't.

- Cherry Valley, IL, USA

Oct 052014

Fusion 6-cyl

While driving my 2011 Ford Fusion, in a residential area. My power steering gave out on me. There was no warning, there was no indication until after it happened. I had a car full of minor children because I am a cheerleading coach and it was extremely scary, to say the least for me and the kids.

- Temple Hills, MD, USA