Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2011 Fusion builds off the 2010's reputation. That's not a good thing.

2011 Ford Fusion steering problems

2011 Ford Fusion Owner Comments (Page 17 of 28)

Fusion 6-cyl

I was slowing down to turn the corner and the power steering completely went out. Had to steer hard to get to the side of the road. I re-started the car and it is working fine since. This just happened this morning on my way to work.

- Ellensburg, WA, USA

Fusion 4-cyl

Power steering assist failure while driving. Luckily we were able to get vehicle safely off highway.

- Knoxville, TN, USA

- Knoxville, TN, USA

Oct 062013

Fusion 4-cyl

Was exiting highway and depressed the brake. Car pulled to the left and power steering went out. Advance trac failure message displayed on indicator panel. Pulled off the road, turned off engine, then restarted the vehicle. All systems started normally. Took vehicle to Ford dealer for service on November 1st, 2013. They checked brakes and indicated all was fine. Also indicated no error message was in memory of the service module. As history, car has always had issues with pulling when braking (and sometimes when accelerating). Typically pulls to the left, but sometimes to the right. Never had it thoroughly checked until this visit as symptom is not consistent. Pulling is still occurring sporadically as of this date.

- Scott Depot, WV, USA

Oct 062014

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that while driving 65 mph, the power steering suddenly malfunctioned causing the steering wheel to become very difficult to turn. The contact indicated that during the incident the service power steering message had displayed. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The technician diagnosed that the power steering pump was faulty and would need to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was 60,000.

- North Chesterfield, VA, USA

Sep 152010

Steering power assist & traction failed while I was in traffic. Power steering assist failed twice before as I backed out of garage.

- Woodridge, IL, USA

Jul 072014

Fusion 4-cyl

After starting the vehicle and attempting to pull out of a parking lot, the steering became very difficult. The car had to be pulled into a separate parking lot and restarted. After restarting, the steering returned to normal. In the following days, when the car was started, sometimes the steering would be very stiff and a warning would display on the instrument panel. In some cases, turning the car off and back on would resolve the problem. Eventually the problem could not be fixed by restarting the car. I took the car to the Ford dealership where I was told that the gear assembly had to be replaced. I had to pay over $2,000 for parts and labor since my car was 1 month beyond its warranty period at the time.

- Fort Mill, SC, USA

Jul 072014

Fusion 4-cyl

When starting, console displayed "power assist steering failure". power steering would not work. Required turning car off and on again (sometimes multiple cycles) to get the power steering working. Ford dealer read code C200D (steering gear internal failure), which required a new power steering rack. Ford did pay half of the bill, but my half was still high at $863. I was told this failure would not occur during driving, however I had read and heard this was not always the case. Therefore I had it fixed before it failed while driving or completely failed which would require a tow. This should not happen with a car with 40,000 miles on it and just over 3 years after purchase. This component has no dealer replaceable parts which means the consumer has an expensive repair.

- Weldon Spring , MO, USA

Jul 312014

First occurrence: While driving in urban setting and preparing to make a turn, I lost power steering assist. Having driven cars without power steering, I was able to manually steer to car to our destination. I turned the car off for 10 minutes and when I restarted, the power steering operated correctly. Additional occurrences: When starting the car and trying to move there is no power steering assist. Turning off the key and restarting resets the power steering. Some of the time an error message shows up indicating a power steering failure and sometimes it doesn't.

- Cherry Valley, IL, USA

Oct 052014

Fusion 6-cyl

While driving my 2011 Ford Fusion, in a residential area. My power steering gave out on me. There was no warning, there was no indication until after it happened. I had a car full of minor children because I am a cheerleading coach and it was extremely scary, to say the least for me and the kids.

- Temple Hills, MD, USA

Oct 032014

Fusion 6-cyl

Lost power steering suddenly without any warnings. The is the second time in the past year this has occurred.

- Livonia, MI, USA

Oct 012014

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that the power steering failed and the instrument panel warning indicators illuminated. The contact mentioned that it was difficult to maintain control of the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to a dealer. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 62,000.

- Van Buren, ME, USA

Oct 012014

After cranking my car and before putting it into drive, the power steering failed and the "power steering assist failure" message appeared on the dash. I turned the car off and sat for a minute. Turned it back on and was fine. Two days later, I was leaving my home and the same thing happened. However instead of it working after a restart, the power steering assist failure message came on each time. I could barely muscle it back into the driveway. Myself being 5'3" 130lbs found it very scary to try to control the vehicle when the power steering was lost. It was almost impossible for me to get back in the driveway. The driver of the tow truck had to move it back before he could load it. I purchased the car from Ford as a certified pre-owned car with 63,000 miles on it in June. I cannot believe I have already had a $1000 repair on this certified pre-owned. Hugely disappointed. If this had happened to me while driving, I am scared to think of what the result would have been. No way I could have controlled the vehicle if it were in motion and the power steering went out. This issue needs to be addressed and I would like for Ford to reimburse those including myself dealing with their faulty parts.

- Winterville, GA, USA

Oct 012013

Fusion 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Fusion. While driving in reverse, the power steering failed. As a result, the contact had to use extreme force to turn the steering wheel. The vehicle had to be restarted in order to resume normal operation. The failure occurred several times. The dealer was unable to diagnose the cause of the failure. The manufacturer was not notified. The approximate failure mileage was 25,000. Updated 11/20/14

- Farmington Hills, MI, USA

Sep 242014

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that the low tire pressure indicator illuminated and the power steering malfunctioned. The contact had to exert excessive force to turn the steering wheel. The dealer stated that the computer had to be reprogrammed and reset. The manufacturer was notified. The vehicle was repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 37,000.

- Liberty, PA, USA

Jul 042014

Fusion 4-cyl

The steering system stopped in April 2014. I turned car off then back on no more problems so I thought it to be a glitch. Finally July 4, 2014 power assist defaulted again for good. I purchased the car August 22, 2013 from stateline auto group. They're not a Ford dealer so they refuse to do anything stating I need to fix my car problem. It is an estimated $2100 repair. There needs to be a recall for this problem as there are hundreds of people with the same issue. Too bad I didn't see this before hand. Ford is recalling the 2013 Fusion for the same problem. My vehicle according to my VIN..was built in a Mexico fordplant. Please some one help.

- Painesville, OH, USA

Oct 022014

Service advancetrac now - power assist failure lights come on and the 2011 Ford Fusion is difficult to control and steer, this happened twice today. I stopped turned the car off, once I restarted the vehicle the light went out and assisted steering was working. I drove another 30 miles and the warning light came back on and experienced loss of assisted steering. I have had this happen before once about a year ago and once about 6 months ago. I did some research and see their are many complaints about this serious problem. In my research I noted that a class action lawsuit has been filed against Ford in June of 2014 in the us district court of the northern district of California. I hope that NHTSA and the us district court of the northern district of California will prompt and/or force Ford Motor Company to recall the effected vehicles.

- Brooklyn, MI, USA

Sep 262014

Fusion 6-cyl

Wife was driving home from work luckily without my son in the car, power steering assist fault light displayed and then the power steering cut off while she was driving into our apartment complex. I started the car no warnings sounded drove around the block sure enough power steering assist fault light came on again and lost power steering never regaining power steering again. Same song and dance as far as I can find on the net $2000 repair without 100% guarantee of fix or of what the problem actually is. Im sorry but my wife and kid is worth more than that!!! were a blue collar family and this was to be our luxury vehicle now its collecting dust in the drive way thank you Ford, and best count your blessing that no harm came to my family because of this!!!

- Olive Hill , KY, USA

Sep 222014

Fusion 6-cyl

The first time an alarm that sounded like music began playing. It played for awhile and then the car turned off. I was able to stop the car safely. I restarted it and it would not start. I tried again after a few minutes and the car appeared to work normally. The second time I was on the freeway in the fast lane going 65 mph. I heard the music/alarm playing again, so I began working my way to the side. Before I got to the side of the road, the car locked down my steering wheel. A warning light came on, that said something like "service advancetrac". once I got it restarted, it drove normally again. Later that day, I was unable to back out of a parking space because the steering was not working. I took it to the dealer. The dealer stated that the entire power steering system has to be replaced for 2100 dollars. They told me they were not going to address the issue that the car turned off two days earlier because the steering was the current problem. I contacted the Ford company and they opened a case on my car. I do not know the outcome of this situation yet. After reading several accounts on the internet, I want to be sure to report this safety problem as it could have been very dangerous.

- Newcastle, TX, USA

Sep 192014

Fusion 6-cyl

I was approaching an intersection and had just stepped on the brakes to slow and merge into a turning lane when the warning lights and sounds started, and steering became very difficult, as if power steering was gone. It was extremely difficult to steer the car through the turn and pull off the road safely. There were a lot of other vehicles around me that needed to swerve out of the way. Once on the side of the road, I turned the car off. Once I restarted the car, the warning lights cleared and I had normal steering. A month prior, the same thing happened while backing out of a parking space. Turning the car off an on cleared the problem then, too. When this happened while driving, resulting in a dangerous situation, we took the car to the dealer. They advised the power steering rack needed to be replaced, for a cost of $1,700. This car was 2 months out of warranty. We live in an area with many winding roads, so this problem is a serious safety concern. If this had occurred while driving on interstate or on a winding road, I don't think I could control the car to keep from running into oncoming traffic or off the road entirely. I paid for the repair, and am surprised to now see lots of other complaints about this issue.

- Staunton, VA, USA