CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2011 Fusion builds off the 2010's reputation. That's not a good thing.

2011 Ford Fusion steering problems

2011 Ford Fusion Owner Comments (Page 22 of 28)

Jun 162014

Fusion 4-cyl

When I first started my car, I notice the chimes going off letting me know it was an error or warning. I noticed in the dash it read power steering assist fault. I noticed the steering wheel was very hard to turn. I immediately turned off the car and restarted and the message went away. The very next morning the exact same thing happened. So four days later it happened only to find out me restarting would not make the message go away. So now I am without power steering and I have read so many complaints of the same and nothing is being done to correct the issue. Nothing will happen unless someone gets hurt or god forbid killed. Its too late then. Ford does not want to be responsible.

- Cary, NC, USA

Jun 202014

Fusion

Bought car, used 2 weeks ago. Driving straight at approximately 30 mph and the power steering assist warning light came on. The car was very difficult to steer. Had to slow way down and turn car with both hands tugging on the steering wheel and bring it into a parking lot. Turned motor off and waited a minute or so as instructed in the manual. Started car again and the power steering worked. The same thing happened the next day while traveling at approximately 50mph. Repeated maneuver and pulled onto shoulder of the road. Will return to dealer as it is under warranty. Had a 2009 Fusion and loved it.

- Webster, NY, USA

Jun 122014

Fusion

While driving home from work on a 35 mph roadway my power steering quit. The power steering was no longer available. I had to utilize two hands and aggressively turn the steering wheel inorder to turn. I had an extremely difficult time turning the steering wheel and making a turn. Left car on side of roadway until a tow truck took it away.

- Hamburg, NY, USA

Jun 172014

Fusion

The car was diagnosed as needing a new rack and pinion. Car makes loud noises when turning, stopping, and hitting small bumps. Possibility of power steering failure which can lead to crash.

- Blytheville, AR, USA

May 182014

Fusion

While driving the car lost its power steering. The power steering assist fault warning appeared on the dashboard. The car was shutoff and restarted and the power steering had become functioning again. Later, while driving the car again it lost power steering and the power steering assist fault came on as well as the service advancetrac warning. The car is dangerous to operate - this should simply not happen while driving. Please have Ford recognize this problem and take responsibility. There have been frequent complaints about these exact events happening to the Fusion model. Have been informed that the repair bill may be over $2K.

- West Roxbury, MA, USA

Mar 122014

Fusion

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that while driving 25 mph, the steering wheel became difficult to turn. The dealer was contacted who advised the contact to merged to the side of the road and turn off and restart it. The failure recurred and was towed to the dealer. The technician diagnosed that the steering column and a torque sensor were defective and needed to be replaced. The vehicle had not been repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 38,000. The VIN was not available.

- Scituate, MA, USA

May 012014

Fusion

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Fusion. The contact stated while starting the ignition there was a loss of power steering without warning. After turning the vehicle off and restarting it the vehicle would function normally but the failure recurred four times. The most recent failure occurred when the power steering failed to again upon starting the vehicle. The vehicle had not been diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The VIN was unavailable. The approximate failure mileage was 54,000.

- Pittsboro, IN, USA

Jun 132014

Fusion 4WD 4-cyl

Sudden loss of power steering while stopped in traffic..resolved on restart...3rd such incident over the last several months...other incidents of power steering loss have occurred while at freeway speeds and also while waiting at stop lights...resolves on restart...restarts at less than 30 seconds after the failures will not set trouble codes, so that diagnosis is not possible...

- Norco, CA, USA

Oct 092013

Fusion

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that the power steering failed. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the technician diagnosed that the electric rack and pinion needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 100,000 and the current mileage was 125,000.

- Riverside, CA, USA

Apr 172014

Fusion

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that while driving approximately 10 mph, the power steering intermittently failed without warning. The failure was recurring and the vehicle would become increasingly difficult to control. The vehicle was taken to a dealer. The technician diagnosed that the power steering assist needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 60,000 and the current mileage was 69,000.

- West Point , VA, USA

May 052014

Fusion

Our power steering when out as we were driving our daughter to school. Very unsafe and we had warranty that magically didn't cover our power steering. We were told at the dealer that our tires made the rack fall out of place, but when we visited a few other mechanics, they said that was unheard of and that it was a giant glitch. Please don't do a recall on just the floormats...obviously there is a huge flaw in the steering as well and we don't have $2000 to just shell out to get it fixed.

- Sarasota, FL, USA

May 192014

Fusion 4-cyl

Driving vehicle through a parking garage and the power steering went out. No power steering assist available. A prompt came up on dashboard starting "power steering assist failure."

- Sylmar, CA, USA

May 122014

Fusion

Was driving in an area of stop lights and low speed, service power steering came on as well as service advancetrac. Did not know at the time what it meant, parked car and came back, had no steering. Had the vehicle towed to closest Ford dealership and was estimated at $2000 repair, had it towed to my personal mechanic who has serviced my car since I purchased it. He fixed the part for significantly less and with a warranty. I received my car May 22nd. Last night, June 2nd was driving in low speed area when same warnings came on, decided to drive it 2 hours home so my mechanic can investigate further with the dealership I bought the vehicle from to see what the problem is. I had not even had my car for two full weeks. Very frustrated with the Ford dealership saying that it was my fault for not bringing the car in as soon as the warnings came on the screen, they also accused it of being my fault for "ignoring" a check engine light when my mechanic always checks it and clears it but it continues to appear, it is a "evap" code, meaning I'm not getting the maximum mileage that the car was designed for but it does not affect the performance of the car. I have repeatedly confirmed this as to avoid any car troubles since I am living 2 hours from home at school. Very unprofessional customer service and have decided that I will not be buying Ford vehicles in the future. Very disappointed because I enjoyed driving this car.

- Bremen, ME, USA

Mar 272014

Fusion 6-cyl

My power steering went out around March 27, 2014. I got it fixed on April 31, 2014 and May 1, 2014. Then about thirty days later it went out again so now I have to pay once again to get it fixed. There are multiple complaints online about the Ford Fusion years 2006 to 2013 with the same problem. This is a very unsafe car to drive in this condition.

- Fayetteville, NC, USA

May 312014

Fusion 4-cyl

Power steering assist faults out. Have to turn the car off and turn back on. Very dangerous. Has happened 3 times now.

- Clarksville, TN, USA

Jul 202011

Fusion

Within months of having my brand new Fusion, I experienced power steering failure where the wheel locked up and the car had to be turned off to reset the steering. This occurred in parking lots, at speeds of 30mph and even on the interstate going 65mph. I recently had a scary incident of losing steering control on the interstate, so I took it in to the Ford dealership and was told it was $1700 to fix, even though it was because it was originally missing a part? not sure how that's my fault, especially seeing how many other complaints there are with the same problem. I paid for the replacement and have had no problems since, but I saw today Ford recalled some cars for this same problem but not the 2011 Ford Fusion! this is obviously a problem they need to address. I asked the man who fixed my car if he'd seen this before and he said at least 6 before me... so hopefully Ford realizes this problem before people have to be injured.

- Boise , ID, USA

May 272014

Fusion 4-cyl

While driving at about 57 mph with cruise control on, the dash showed the following text (approx.) "power steering assist failure" / "service advancetrac" and the steering wheel was very difficult to turn. I pulled off the road approximately 1000ft ahead and shut off the car. Upon restarting the car, the steering seemed to be working fine but my trust in the vehicle's safety just dropped huge.

- Jordan, MN, USA

May 052014

Fusion 4-cyl

I started the car up and a warning read power steering assist fault. Restarted the car and no progressive. A little over two weeks later, I started the car and it then read service advancetrac in addition to previous warning.

- Saint Cloud , FL, USA

May 202014

Fusion

Pulled out of a parking lot onto a main street when vehicle lost all power. It was dark and the car is black and I feared someone would hit me since the hazard flashers were now inoperative. Vehicle had to be pushed onto a side road. A similar incident occurred in July 2013 but the vehicle was in the garage at the time so it wasn't a safety issue. At that time the dealer installed a new battery since the original had so much corrosion that it ate away at the positive battery post. I no longer feel safe driving this car and will be contacting the dealer tomorrow.

- Warren, MI, USA

May 062014

Fusion

Power steering failure. Driving at 35mph when service power steering now warning came on. Turned the car off, when turned back on, car had no power steering. Took car to dealer and was told that it needed a new power steering rack and repairs to cost 1500+ dollars.

- Sarasota, FL, USA