Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2011 Fusion builds off the 2010's reputation. That's not a good thing.

2011 Ford Fusion steering problems

2011 Ford Fusion Owner Comments (Page 22 of 28)

May 052014

Our power steering when out as we were driving our daughter to school. Very unsafe and we had warranty that magically didn't cover our power steering. We were told at the dealer that our tires made the rack fall out of place, but when we visited a few other mechanics, they said that was unheard of and that it was a giant glitch. Please don't do a recall on just the floormats...obviously there is a huge flaw in the steering as well and we don't have $2000 to just shell out to get it fixed.

- Sarasota, FL, USA

May 192014

Fusion 4-cyl

Driving vehicle through a parking garage and the power steering went out. No power steering assist available. A prompt came up on dashboard starting "power steering assist failure."

- Sylmar, CA, USA

May 122014

Was driving in an area of stop lights and low speed, service power steering came on as well as service advancetrac. Did not know at the time what it meant, parked car and came back, had no steering. Had the vehicle towed to closest Ford dealership and was estimated at $2000 repair, had it towed to my personal mechanic who has serviced my car since I purchased it. He fixed the part for significantly less and with a warranty. I received my car May 22nd. Last night, June 2nd was driving in low speed area when same warnings came on, decided to drive it 2 hours home so my mechanic can investigate further with the dealership I bought the vehicle from to see what the problem is. I had not even had my car for two full weeks. Very frustrated with the Ford dealership saying that it was my fault for not bringing the car in as soon as the warnings came on the screen, they also accused it of being my fault for "ignoring" a check engine light when my mechanic always checks it and clears it but it continues to appear, it is a "evap" code, meaning I'm not getting the maximum mileage that the car was designed for but it does not affect the performance of the car. I have repeatedly confirmed this as to avoid any car troubles since I am living 2 hours from home at school. Very unprofessional customer service and have decided that I will not be buying Ford vehicles in the future. Very disappointed because I enjoyed driving this car.

- Bremen, ME, USA

Mar 272014

Fusion 6-cyl

My power steering went out around March 27, 2014. I got it fixed on April 31, 2014 and May 1, 2014. Then about thirty days later it went out again so now I have to pay once again to get it fixed. There are multiple complaints online about the Ford Fusion years 2006 to 2013 with the same problem. This is a very unsafe car to drive in this condition.

- Fayetteville, NC, USA

May 312014

Fusion 4-cyl

Power steering assist faults out. Have to turn the car off and turn back on. Very dangerous. Has happened 3 times now.

- Clarksville, TN, USA

Jul 202011

Within months of having my brand new Fusion, I experienced power steering failure where the wheel locked up and the car had to be turned off to reset the steering. This occurred in parking lots, at speeds of 30mph and even on the interstate going 65mph. I recently had a scary incident of losing steering control on the interstate, so I took it in to the Ford dealership and was told it was $1700 to fix, even though it was because it was originally missing a part? not sure how that's my fault, especially seeing how many other complaints there are with the same problem. I paid for the replacement and have had no problems since, but I saw today Ford recalled some cars for this same problem but not the 2011 Ford Fusion! this is obviously a problem they need to address. I asked the man who fixed my car if he'd seen this before and he said at least 6 before me... so hopefully Ford realizes this problem before people have to be injured.

- Boise , ID, USA

May 272014

Fusion 4-cyl

While driving at about 57 mph with cruise control on, the dash showed the following text (approx.) "power steering assist failure" / "service advancetrac" and the steering wheel was very difficult to turn. I pulled off the road approximately 1000ft ahead and shut off the car. Upon restarting the car, the steering seemed to be working fine but my trust in the vehicle's safety just dropped huge.

- Jordan, MN, USA

May 052014

Fusion 4-cyl

I started the car up and a warning read power steering assist fault. Restarted the car and no progressive. A little over two weeks later, I started the car and it then read service advancetrac in addition to previous warning.

- Saint Cloud , FL, USA

May 202014

Pulled out of a parking lot onto a main street when vehicle lost all power. It was dark and the car is black and I feared someone would hit me since the hazard flashers were now inoperative. Vehicle had to be pushed onto a side road. A similar incident occurred in July 2013 but the vehicle was in the garage at the time so it wasn't a safety issue. At that time the dealer installed a new battery since the original had so much corrosion that it ate away at the positive battery post. I no longer feel safe driving this car and will be contacting the dealer tomorrow.

- Warren, MI, USA

May 062014

Power steering failure. Driving at 35mph when service power steering now warning came on. Turned the car off, when turned back on, car had no power steering. Took car to dealer and was told that it needed a new power steering rack and repairs to cost 1500+ dollars.

- Sarasota, FL, USA

Apr 292014

Fusion 4-cyl

I was driving at 35 mph, and slowing down to about 25 mph to make a right hand turn to enter a merge lane, and my Fusion's message center flashed "service advancetrac" and "service power steering now" messages, followed by the audible chimes. I noticed a failure of the power steering system, and it required great strength and effort to get the vehicle to turn right to enter the merge lane, almost took me into the standard lane. Steering was extremely difficult from that point on, especially at low speeds. Ford dealer diagnosed the issue, said the pscm had failed. They had to replace the steering rack because all the electronics are integrated into it.

- Enid, OK, USA

Apr 242014

Fusion 4-cyl

Driving in rain approximately 40 mph on two lane blacktop highway chiming started then error codes, "service advancetrac" & "service power steering now" warnings displayed on dash. Steering became extremely hard to maneuver continued to drive the vehicle approximately 10 more minutes. I then turned the vehicle off and let the vehicle sit for an hour. I never pulled key from ignition. I restarted the vehicle, steering became even more difficult to maneuver. I drove my car approximately 2 more miles and then shut the vehicle off again. I waited approximately 2 more hours this time before restarting my vehicle. The steering wheel became almost impossible to turn. I experienced an extremely unsafe vehicle while driving approximately 25 to 35 mph for 12 miles to reach my destination. This vehicle was then parked and will be towed to a repair facility to trouble shoot this safety issue. I have two young daughters that are in this vehicle on a regular basis and I am tremendously concerned for their safety and that of others who could be harmed if this incident should happen again while driving. I drive 900 miles a week to and from my job. I can not morally put others at risk and after seeing so many complaints online, I believe that this is a severe safety issue that Ford Motor Company should be financially responsible for and address in a timely fashion by recalling and repairing any necessary parts and labor before a serious injury or fatality occurs.

- Cape Girardeau, MO, USA

Apr 172014

Fusion 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that while traveling various speeds, the power steering and stabilitrac warning lights illuminated and the vehicle became difficult to steer. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was found the power steering pump and rack needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was contacted about the failure. The failure mileage was 74,000. Updated 6/10/14

- Fort Meade, FL, USA

Jan 012014

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that the steering wheel seized without warning. The failure was experienced several times. The vehicle was taken to the dealer however, the dealer stated that there was nothing wrong with the vehicle. The VIN was not available. The failure mileage was 22,000 and current mileage was 94,189.

- Freemont , CA, USA

Apr 092014

Fusion 4-cyl

I was on my way to work my son was driving me when the power steering service light came on within 10 minutes after it came on my steering wheel locked had no power steering at all if I had been driving or my daughter we would of not been able to handle the car. I bought my Fusion just 2 years ago and I have no issues with it until now and I get the first warning light and then no power steering. I have seen other consumer complaints with the same issue as me and I am not understanding why Ford has not done anything about this problem its to new of a car for something this major to go wrong with it. It is a safety issue and then the Ford dealership wants to tell me that its going to cost me $1,624 to fix when in my eyes its their problem something is going on with the 2011 Ford Fusion power steering it should not be going out after just a few years.

- Russellville, KY, USA

Sep 102013

Fusion 4-cyl

Power steering went out on the vehicle on several occasions, both while driving and sitting at a stop. The steering wheel would not be able to turn, thus the vehicle would not turn. "power steering assist failure" warning came on during all occasions. Power steering would come back on after turning the car off, but eventually totally went out. The vehicle had to be towed to a local Ford dealership so the electronic power steering rack could be replaced. Luckily my wife was not in heavy traffic during occasions when power steering went out, otherwise the situations could have been very bad. Our toddler was in the car during all occasions as well. I have seen countless other stories on online forums about the power steering failing in 2011 Ford Fusion. There has just been a massive recall for GM vehicles involving the electronic power steering, perhaps they are related. Please help in this matter. Ford needs to address this problem and issue a recall. Hopefully Ford isn't hiding and running from this problem due to money, as we had to pay $1,800 for the repair. Thank you.

- Glen Carbon, IL, USA

Feb 242014

We were driving an the steering wheel locked nd wr lost control of ca and hit a pole. My husband not an injury on his leg and inner thigh and some of us openwound from glasswa.

- San Bernardino, CA, USA

Mar 262014

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that while traveling various speeds, the vehicle became difficult to steer. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not contacted about the failure. The failure mileage was 40,000.

- Apex, NC, USA

Dec 022013

Fusion 4-cyl

I have owned this car for barely 2 years and all of a sudden I have no steering at all. If it is an extremely cold day it may work ok but other than that it doesn't work at all and is unsafe to drive. I did research and was told it is electric steering and will cost roughly $2000 to fix. This car is too new to have that kind of problem. During my search I have found many people are experiencing the exact same thing and there was an actual recall for the 2013 Fusion with this problem. Not sure why the 2011 hasn't also been recalled. I am still researching that because I definitely can't afford $2,000 out of pocket expense on my vehicle right now.

- New Ipswich, NH, USA

Mar 072014

While driving the warning message "service power steering now" appeared at which time the electric power steering went out making the car almost inoperable. After stopping and restarting the car, the steering wheel could not be turned at all. Apparently this is a "known issue" with 2010-2012 Ford Fusion and it is an extremely hazardous "known issue." It is going to cost us $2,200 to repair plus the expense of having the car shipped home; we were on vacation at the time. Why isn't this dangerous defect being recalled?

- Brighton, MI, USA