CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2011 Fusion builds off the 2010's reputation. That's not a good thing.

2011 Ford Fusion steering problems

2011 Ford Fusion Owner Comments (Page 25 of 28)

Sep 022013

Fusion 4-cyl

Driving approx 25 mph and power steering shut down without warning. I narrowly missed hitting another car. Pulled car over (with great difficulty). An error message appeared "power steering assist fault" and "service advance trac." I turned car off for a minute and restarted. Message was gone and car seemed to drive ok. I was one minute away from a major arterial street (50 mph limit) and could have been killed if this happened there!!

- Naperville, IL, USA

Aug 102013

Fusion 6-cyl

I was driving about 40 mph when the service advance trac alarm came on. It said service power steering. When I came to a stop and turned off the vehicle, my Fusion had no power steering whatsoever and I could not even turn the wheel. So I had it towed to the nearest Ford dealership. They first replaced the steering gear assembly which three days later it went out again! I took it back to the dealer where they said it was a glitch in the sensor so they manually reset everything. Well that fixed the problem for maybe 2 days, and it went out on me again. Also, there was a piece of plastic that the dealership failed to put on correctly, thus resulting in the piece of plastic dragging the ground and broke off while I was driving. Nearly scared me to death. They replaced the ABS module and that also did not fix the problem. So I am now at a standstill and I refuse to be humiliated with this situation. Ford has to fix my car or give me a new one because this is completely ridiculous. If this isn't a recall on this model then it should be because there is no way this car should have this problem in the three years I have had it. I am very frustrated with this dealership and also with Ford. Help!

- Chapmanville, WV, USA

Aug 272013

Fusion

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that while driving approximately 25 mph, the trac control and power steering warning indicators illuminated followed by a complete loss of the power steering. The steering wheel became extremely difficult to maneuver. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer, who informed the contact that the failure was contributed to the electronic steering gear. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 42,000.

- Muscatine, IA, USA

Aug 072013

Fusion

On three separate occasions within the last two weeks, (two while pulling out of my driveway, and once while leaving work), my steering has "locked" on me. The code that appeared on the dash was power steering assist fault. Not being too sure of what this was about we took it to the dealer who told us it was the rack and pinion that had gone out. The dealer then stated in order to fix it the rocker arms as well as the rack and pinion would have to be replaced to the tune of 2700 in repairs, that was not including labor and tax. While our vehicle is still under warranty, I feel this should be part of the power train, as without steering you cannot drive. This is also a huge safety issue. I cannot imagine how this would have gone if I had been in traffic, let alone if my children had been in the car. I have seen how many complaints there is about this situation. When will there be results?

- Copperas Cove , TX, USA

Aug 162013

Fusion 4-cyl

While driving down the freeway at 70mph on a straight section of road the power steering assist fault and advance trac fault appeared on the dash and the steering wheel became very stiff (difficult to turn). This has happened a total of 4 times, once about a month ago, and twice on the 16th. 3 were on the freeway and the fourth upon starting the car later on the 16th. Every time it was reset by turning the car off and letting it sit for a minute and restarting.

- Shelby Twp, MI, USA

Jul 302013

Fusion 4-cyl

Power steering stopped working and the dashboard displayed that the power steering fault assembly malfunctioned and the advance track light came on. Vehicle was unresponsive and difficult to maneuver.

- Glen Rock, PA, USA

Aug 172013

Fusion 6-cyl

Vehicle's power steering failed when shifting vehicle into reverse. "power assist" and "advancetrac" notifications appeared on dash. Fluid normal and no visual defects. Turned off and restarted vehicle, and power steering returned. Internet searches revealed this to be a common problem with no certain solution.

- South Euclid, OH, USA

Jun 282013

Fusion 6-cyl

The message center displayed "power steering assist fail" and the power steering to my car stopped functioning. Research as to what may have caused this resulted in numerous instances of this fault reported by other Ford owners with the same model year and the same approximate mileage. This is a serious safety issue and should be acknowledged by Ford and a recall be initiated.

- Ogdensburg, NY, USA

Aug 122013

Fusion

Accelerating modestly from 4 way stop, the power steering just went out. There was a beeping noise and the dash read "power steering assist fault, service advancetrac". could be very dangerous on any sort of turn. Very difficult to steer vehicle at that point.

- Indianapolis, IN, USA

Fusion 4-cyl

Dash board reports power steering assist fault. Difficulty steering. Drive to parking place. Turn car off. Two hours later return to car. Turn on car and the power steering is ok. Second fault at 46045 miles. Car was parked. Turn car on. Power steering assist fault. Turn car off. Turn car on. Power steering ok.

- Concord, MA, USA

Aug 082013

Fusion 4-cyl

I was driving on the expressway early this morning traveling at ~70 miles an hour. Without warning the power steering ceased to work and I got a warning that there was a power assist fault and to service advanctrac. If I would have been taking a curve at that exact moment the results could have been catastrophic. After making it off the expressway I was able to turn the car off and then back on and all was fine and the power steering was once again working. My concern at this point is that I never know, moving forward, if and when this issue may occur again. Based on some online research I see many other Fusion owners complaining of this exact issue. Please don't wait for someone to die before taking action and forcing Ford to analyze root cause.

- Shepherdsville, KY, USA

Fusion 4-cyl

Twice in the last 3 weeks while driving and making a turn my power steering failed without warning. I had to pull over and restart the car and power steering returned to normal.

- Dearborn Hts, MI, USA

Aug 042013

Fusion 4-cyl

Power steering failure makes the car steering control to be very hard. I tried many ways (turn off the car, disconnect battery) but did not work.

- Roseville, CA, USA

Fusion 6-cyl

I was driving and the car was running fine with no warning of any problems. I went through a toll booth, accelerated and all of the sudden the steering wheel locked up and became very difficult to turn the wheel. The power steering assist failure warning came on in the message center. If this were to occur on a corner there would be no way to save it. It is very dangerous and have no other way of getting around. Now every time I get into my car, I am putting my life on the line. Not safe there needs to be a recall on this vehicle as I see now many problems just like mine have occurred to thousands of people. I purchased my car only 8 months ago and have put around 9,000 miles on it.

- Rochester, NH, USA

Jul 182013

Fusion

My wife was pulling into the parking lot where she works and the power steering quit. On the readout it said power steering assist fault and service advance trac. Also the advance trac light came on. With difficulty she finished parking the car and called me. She then shut the car off and went in to work. I drove to where she parked and checked under the hood for the power steering. Could not find it so looked in manual and found that power steering assist is electronic and not hydraulic. I started car and everything worked normal including steering. Looked online and found many other complaints of same problem on 2011 Fusion. Plugged a diagnostic tool in under the dash and it showed no fault codes stored. Took to a Ford dealer the following week after discussing the problem with them. They kept it 4 days and could not get the problem to come up again. Was told to drive it until it came up again. Picked up the car on Friday the 26th and drove it. The steering went out again on Sunday the 28th of July when I was driving about 20 mph. Pulled over to side of road and shut off. Restarted and everything was normal again. Talked to 2 other Ford dealers and was told to bring it in when it happens again without shutting off so they can check it when it is happening. (but of course it has to be a day and time they are open) I feel this is a safety issue. My wife drives this to work daily and has to travel over roads where there is no place to pull off to reset. Also it would be very difficult for her to keep steering while she is continuing to drive. I called Ford customer service and filed a complaint but with no immediate resolve.

- Hyrum, UT, USA

Jul 112013

Fusion 6-cyl

My wife, son and I was at a stop light getting ready to turn right and all asudden there was no steering at all locked completely up so we pulled over and tried to restart call and message popped up service brake system, check power steering now, service advance track. The electric power steering had went completely out of the car totally not safe at all. When will there be a recall on such a major issue this needs to be addressed I have read other Fusion with the same problem as mine. This vehicle will not be driven anymore not worth the life of my family over something that should have been recalled years ago by Ford still nothing last Ford I will own.

- Frostburg, MD, USA

Jul 262013

Fusion 6-cyl

I was going around a curve at 25 mph when suddenly the steering wheel jerked in my hand and then became almost impossible to turn. A warning display came on that read "power steering assist failure, service advancetrac." I managed to get the car to the side of the road and then turn it off. I restarted the engine and the warning message was cleared and the steering worked fine the rest of the trip. I called the service department at the Ford dealership where I purchased the car and explained what happened. The service manage told me he had never heard of any similar problems and nothing could be done about it if there was no warning code displaying that they could read. Upon researching several sites on the internet, I found hundreds and hundreds of complaints for the same problem being experienced by other Ford Fusion owners. Will major accidents claiming human lives have to occur before this very serious problem is addressed by Ford Motor Company and the NHTSA?

- Sioux Falls, SD, USA

Jul 232013

Fusion 4-cyl

The steering of the vehicle went out and locked while driving. This is a fairly new vehicle and I see some trending of complaints and similar descriptions of the failure. Extremely dangerous. Very thankful I was not on the highway. Was advised by Ford that rack and pinion needed replacement and they could not diagnose cause. $2000 repair. Not covered, outside warranty period of 36K miles. Seems to be more of a recall issue?

- Port Charlotte, FL, USA

Jul 232013

Fusion 4-cyl

I turned the car on while parked in my driveway and the screen flashed "power steering assist fault." I wasn't able to turn the steering wheel at all. This happened once before recently and the problem ceased when I restarted the car. However, after this current incident the steering wheel will not turn, even with force. If this had happened while I was driving, I would have no control of the car and would have most likely resulted in a terrible car accident and/or worse. I demand this problem be fixed immediately as I know that there are several other Fusion owners who have had similar issues.

- Westland , MI, USA

Jul 112013

Fusion

I wanted to contact you about a serious safety issue in my 2011 Ford Fusion. I took it in for service in January 2013 and was told that the throttle body needed replaced after my car stalled a few times. I was told then the throttle body was backordered. I tried again in June and was told that this is a common problem and they are still backordered. After that, I was told that I could simply take the key out and put it back in after it stalled and it would be fine. And they were backordered from Ford. On July 11th, the car stalled at the corner of I-70 and I-270 in columbus while traveling at 65mph. I pulled off to the side of the road and reset the car. While trying to get off the road, I went off the road to avoid any other cars as their was construction and no shoulder. After restarting it, I got back onto the road and the car stalled and I wasn't able to make it back off the road and nearly was hit by a semi from behind. The car stalled a minimum of ten times during rush hour.

- Hilliard, OH, USA