Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2011 Fusion builds off the 2010's reputation. That's not a good thing.

2011 Ford Fusion steering problems

2011 Ford Fusion Owner Comments (Page 25 of 28)

Aug 122013

Accelerating modestly from 4 way stop, the power steering just went out. There was a beeping noise and the dash read "power steering assist fault, service advancetrac". could be very dangerous on any sort of turn. Very difficult to steer vehicle at that point.

- Indianapolis, IN, USA

Fusion 4-cyl

Dash board reports power steering assist fault. Difficulty steering. Drive to parking place. Turn car off. Two hours later return to car. Turn on car and the power steering is ok. Second fault at 46045 miles. Car was parked. Turn car on. Power steering assist fault. Turn car off. Turn car on. Power steering ok.

- Concord, MA, USA

Aug 082013

Fusion 4-cyl

I was driving on the expressway early this morning traveling at ~70 miles an hour. Without warning the power steering ceased to work and I got a warning that there was a power assist fault and to service advanctrac. If I would have been taking a curve at that exact moment the results could have been catastrophic. After making it off the expressway I was able to turn the car off and then back on and all was fine and the power steering was once again working. My concern at this point is that I never know, moving forward, if and when this issue may occur again. Based on some online research I see many other Fusion owners complaining of this exact issue. Please don't wait for someone to die before taking action and forcing Ford to analyze root cause.

- Shepherdsville, KY, USA

Fusion 4-cyl

Twice in the last 3 weeks while driving and making a turn my power steering failed without warning. I had to pull over and restart the car and power steering returned to normal.

- Dearborn Hts, MI, USA

Aug 042013

Fusion 4-cyl

Power steering failure makes the car steering control to be very hard. I tried many ways (turn off the car, disconnect battery) but did not work.

- Roseville, CA, USA

Fusion 6-cyl

I was driving and the car was running fine with no warning of any problems. I went through a toll booth, accelerated and all of the sudden the steering wheel locked up and became very difficult to turn the wheel. The power steering assist failure warning came on in the message center. If this were to occur on a corner there would be no way to save it. It is very dangerous and have no other way of getting around. Now every time I get into my car, I am putting my life on the line. Not safe there needs to be a recall on this vehicle as I see now many problems just like mine have occurred to thousands of people. I purchased my car only 8 months ago and have put around 9,000 miles on it.

- Rochester, NH, USA

Jul 182013

My wife was pulling into the parking lot where she works and the power steering quit. On the readout it said power steering assist fault and service advance trac. Also the advance trac light came on. With difficulty she finished parking the car and called me. She then shut the car off and went in to work. I drove to where she parked and checked under the hood for the power steering. Could not find it so looked in manual and found that power steering assist is electronic and not hydraulic. I started car and everything worked normal including steering. Looked online and found many other complaints of same problem on 2011 Fusion. Plugged a diagnostic tool in under the dash and it showed no fault codes stored. Took to a Ford dealer the following week after discussing the problem with them. They kept it 4 days and could not get the problem to come up again. Was told to drive it until it came up again. Picked up the car on Friday the 26th and drove it. The steering went out again on Sunday the 28th of July when I was driving about 20 mph. Pulled over to side of road and shut off. Restarted and everything was normal again. Talked to 2 other Ford dealers and was told to bring it in when it happens again without shutting off so they can check it when it is happening. (but of course it has to be a day and time they are open) I feel this is a safety issue. My wife drives this to work daily and has to travel over roads where there is no place to pull off to reset. Also it would be very difficult for her to keep steering while she is continuing to drive. I called Ford customer service and filed a complaint but with no immediate resolve.

- Hyrum, UT, USA

Jul 112013

Fusion 6-cyl

My wife, son and I was at a stop light getting ready to turn right and all asudden there was no steering at all locked completely up so we pulled over and tried to restart call and message popped up service brake system, check power steering now, service advance track. The electric power steering had went completely out of the car totally not safe at all. When will there be a recall on such a major issue this needs to be addressed I have read other Fusion with the same problem as mine. This vehicle will not be driven anymore not worth the life of my family over something that should have been recalled years ago by Ford still nothing last Ford I will own.

- Frostburg, MD, USA

Jul 262013

Fusion 6-cyl

I was going around a curve at 25 mph when suddenly the steering wheel jerked in my hand and then became almost impossible to turn. A warning display came on that read "power steering assist failure, service advancetrac." I managed to get the car to the side of the road and then turn it off. I restarted the engine and the warning message was cleared and the steering worked fine the rest of the trip. I called the service department at the Ford dealership where I purchased the car and explained what happened. The service manage told me he had never heard of any similar problems and nothing could be done about it if there was no warning code displaying that they could read. Upon researching several sites on the internet, I found hundreds and hundreds of complaints for the same problem being experienced by other Ford Fusion owners. Will major accidents claiming human lives have to occur before this very serious problem is addressed by Ford Motor Company and the NHTSA?

- Sioux Falls, SD, USA

Jul 232013

Fusion 4-cyl

The steering of the vehicle went out and locked while driving. This is a fairly new vehicle and I see some trending of complaints and similar descriptions of the failure. Extremely dangerous. Very thankful I was not on the highway. Was advised by Ford that rack and pinion needed replacement and they could not diagnose cause. $2000 repair. Not covered, outside warranty period of 36K miles. Seems to be more of a recall issue?

- Port Charlotte, FL, USA

Jul 232013

Fusion 4-cyl

I turned the car on while parked in my driveway and the screen flashed "power steering assist fault." I wasn't able to turn the steering wheel at all. This happened once before recently and the problem ceased when I restarted the car. However, after this current incident the steering wheel will not turn, even with force. If this had happened while I was driving, I would have no control of the car and would have most likely resulted in a terrible car accident and/or worse. I demand this problem be fixed immediately as I know that there are several other Fusion owners who have had similar issues.

- Westland , MI, USA

Jul 112013

I wanted to contact you about a serious safety issue in my 2011 Ford Fusion. I took it in for service in January 2013 and was told that the throttle body needed replaced after my car stalled a few times. I was told then the throttle body was backordered. I tried again in June and was told that this is a common problem and they are still backordered. After that, I was told that I could simply take the key out and put it back in after it stalled and it would be fine. And they were backordered from Ford. On July 11th, the car stalled at the corner of I-70 and I-270 in columbus while traveling at 65mph. I pulled off to the side of the road and reset the car. While trying to get off the road, I went off the road to avoid any other cars as their was construction and no shoulder. After restarting it, I got back onto the road and the car stalled and I wasn't able to make it back off the road and nearly was hit by a semi from behind. The car stalled a minimum of ten times during rush hour.

- Hilliard, OH, USA

Jul 022013

Fusion 4-cyl

Power steering stopped working, and brakes acting up, very hard to drive to the side of the road and stop. Warning lights came on for power steering default and service advancetrac. Took my Fusion to the Ford dealer in grand haven, mi. To see what the problem was. Without looking at my car they said they couldn't help me, came back to my daughters home. This has happened 3 times in the last 2 weeks, when I shut the car off for awhile, it seems to correct itself. But there is no way of telling when it will happen again. I'm visiting from Pennsylvania in Michigan, and I guess I'm suppose to take the chance of driving my car the 700 miles to pa without it happening again!! considering all the comments I have seen on the internet about the same issues with other Fusion, it would seem to me that Ford might take a look at the problem and help their customers. I wondered about the Ford dealer, if he noticed my pa. Plates and I'm 77 years old, and that was that!! I hope not! right now I'm still in Michigan, deciding what to do?

- Nunica, MI, USA

Jul 032013

Fusion 4-cyl

While driving on the expressway at approximately 60 mph, power steering stopped working. Vehicle display flashed power steering failure alternating with service advance track. The problem has recurred multiple times under similar conditions, and recently happened on a turn. Took vehicle to dealer on 7/3/13. They could not note anything wrong, but reset sensor anyway. The problem has occurred twice since the sensor was reset. I feel that this could be a dangerous problem, depending on when the malfunction occurs.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Jul 182013

Fusion 6-cyl

***note: This started in May 2013 happened 3 times. Dealership replace an intake sensor and then it happened again as listed below. This is putting me and my daughters in danger everytime this happens without prior warning. ---------------------------------------- July 19, 2013 @ 3:29 am: Without warning this time the "check engine" indicator came on, the car made a weird noise like a dying rumble/purring noise as it became silent and all power left. -she put the care in "P? park -started the engine and it acted normal -------------------------------------- July 19, 2013 @3:28 am: Without warning the ?throttle control/transmission? indicator lit up, the car became silent and all power left. -she put the care in ?P? park -started the engine and it acted normal ------------------------------------------- July 19, 2013 @ 1:20 am : without warning the ?throttle control/transmission? indicator lit up, the car became silent and all power left. -she put the care in ?P? park -started the engine and it acted normal ---------------------------------------------------------- July 18, 2013 @4:30 pm: Without warning the ?throttle control/transmission? indicator lit up, the car became silent and all power left. -she put the care in ?P? park ".I was in the back seat & instructed her what to do. -started the engine and it acted normal ***** Ford dealership service technicians could not find or duplicate the problem. The issue escalated to the Ford engineers. They determined that it was something like the massive intake air flow sensor and installed a new one ( Ford part: Fp 3L3Z-128579-ba sensor assy) June 13 just prior to my business trip on June 17,2013.

- Eugene, OR, USA

Jul 162013

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that while driving approximately 5 mph, the power steering failed as the power steering assist warning light illuminated. The vehicle was shut down and restarted but the failure recurred. The vehicle was towed to the dealer where it was determined that the power steering assist needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was contacted about the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 44,200.

- St. Louis, MO, USA

Feb 272012

Fusion 4-cyl

I brought my Fusion in for service on 2/28/12 (17899 miles) for the first time w/ heavy vibration in steering wheel when applying brakes. I was told they my rotors needed to be machined, & that was covered under warranty. It was not even a month later when I could feel slight vibration in my steering wheel again, & would progress until I finally had to bring in again to be serviced with several other problems w/ my car. On 11/9/12 (32,651 miles) (1.) heavy vibration, they replaced rotors. (2) my advance trac and check braking system message kept coming up, they told me it was due to low battery voltage. (3)vehicle stalls when starting, they replaced battery. (4) skipping gears & stalling, reprogrammed PCM. On 6/15/13 my car loses all power and dies in the middle of highway @ night as I was backing out of a private drive w/ my daughter & her friend in backseat, I had to put it back in gear & jiggle key to turn off, restart car, & be able to drive off all the while cars running off the road to keep from hitting me! brought my car in for service finally again 7/11/12(44158 miles) (waited 2 weeks til they could get me in to diag)with recurring problems above + power loss! (1) car sputters/gears skip/stalling/loses power, & they find a bug mass air flow(as they said) but 1st told me TB then said no & as far as losing power they have no idea! (2)vibration in steering, rotors need to be machined again! never had this much work with rotors on any vehicle. Oh and my whole steering rack assembly needs to be replaced @ 44,158 miles!!! Ford should not be making cars that you can not get at least 100,000 miles before a $2,000+ service needs to be done on car! I told Ford even if they fixed what they said is wrong with my car today, they could not give me $1,000,000 to put myself or my child in it ever again! this car is unsafe, unreliable, and should have recalls & don't trust it!

- Silsbee, TX, USA

Jun 092013

Fusion 4-cyl

Car is having a hard time cranking and idling high, power steering hard to move because of a power steering assist fault and the car is hard to steer it has done it 3 times. Once while driving and 2 other times while parked but car was hard to crank.

- Erwin, NC, USA

Jun 122013

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Fusion. The contact started her vehicle and the "power steering assist fault" warning alert illuminated. The contact restarted the vehicle and it functioned properly. The vehicle was not taken to a dealer for inspection. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 38,000.

- Southfield, MI, USA

Jul 082013

While driving out of a parking lot and turning onto a main road, the power steering became extremely heavy and difficult. I heard beeping inside the car and the message- power steering assist failure light came on. I was able to maneuver the car to the side of the road and turned the car off and back on again and the steering returned to normal. This was scary as it happened with out warning so I immediately called the closest Ford dealer afterwards (Monday) and explained what had just happened and that I was worried it would reoccur and is dangerous but they couldn't take it until Friday. Also, concerned about reading very similar complaints with no recall from Ford to look into and fix before this malfunction causes a dangerous accident. Luckily, I had just made a turn at the time and wasn't moving fast at all but others have written that it happens at higher speeds as well.

- Staten Island, NY, USA