CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2011 Fusion builds off the 2010's reputation. That's not a good thing.

2011 Ford Fusion steering problems

2011 Ford Fusion Owner Comments (Page 28 of 28)

Oct 262011

Fusion 4-cyl

I have 2011 Ford Fusion, it has happen several times since I got the car, but everytime I turn it off it would reset itself, but yesterday I was going to my nieces house and I was in a turn and power steering went out and it was hard to turn the steering wheel. I have been reading how there been a lot people been having the same problem I have been having. I don't know why there has not been a recall to get this fix.

- Jewett, TX, USA

May 242012

Fusion 4-cyl

Yesterday, as I was driving up an on ramp, my advance trac light and alarm came on and the power steering failed. Steering was very difficult as the steering wheel was basically frozen. I was able to pull off to the side of the road.I turned the car off and back on and everything seemed to go back to normal and the power steering worked. Today I took it to a dealer to get it repaired. At first they told me my car must have stalled while I was driving and they replaced the throttle body. I insisted the car did not stall or turn off or decelerate and that only the power steering was not working. I left the dealership. Later in the day they contacted me after discussing the problem with some peers, they realized what the problem was and asked me to return. I took it back and they told me I would need the power steering rack replaced. I'm really surprised that there has not been a recall--in doing a google search, I see that it is not a new problem with Fusion and it has happened to quite a few people. I spoke to 2 colleagues today with the same car who also had their power steering malfunction.

- Windermere, FL, USA

May 202012

Fusion 6-cyl

Started to drive and suddenly error light message of power steering assist needs serviced, and there was no power steering. Luckily I was going at a low rate of speed and was not on a major road at the time. Drove car with no power steering for approx 1.5 miles, pulled over turned car off and then back on and error was gone and the power steering seemed fine again. Took car to the dealership today and they cannot get the issue to happen again? they state Ford has not issued any technical bulletins or recalls about this, however in researching on-line it seems this has been a common issue for other Ford Fusion owners.

- Huber Heights, OH, USA

Apr 292012

Fusion

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Fusion. The contact was in a parking lot driving at very low speeds when the power steering assist failed. The contact shut off and restarted the vehicle, and the power steering has reset independently. The contact took the vehicle to the dealer and was told there was nothing wrong with the vehicle. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and the current mileage was 28,649.

- Rocky Mount, NC, USA

Aug 172011

Fusion 4-cyl

While driving the vehicle the steering will turn off. Driver will get a beeping message followed by this error message on display power steering assist fault. Service advancetrac the car will operate normally just without any power steering at all. If you turn the vehicle off and back on, the error will disappear with no errors be logged in the computer memory. The car will operate as normal (until the next occurrence). This has happened 5 times in a year with our 2011 Ford Fusion. Two of the times my wife was on the highway doing 60mph when the steering just cuts off. Dealer has done nothing to resolve the issue. Without an error code they will not replace any parts or attempt to fix it.

- Oviedo, FL, USA

Jun 122011

Fusion 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Fusion. The contact stated while driving at any speed, the vehicle steered to the left abnormally. In addition, the contact stated that the front driver and passenger seat head rests were made too close to the head, forcing the contact to sit in an uncomfortable position. The vehicle was taken to the dealer and the manufacturer was contacted. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 200 and the current mileage was 3200. Updated 12/16/11 the consumer also stated the vehicle pulled to the left while braking. Updated 01/19/12

- Fishers, IN, USA

Aug 062011

Fusion 4-cyl

Driving car on 100 degrees in Texas the power steering light came on. Parked the car at home and could not steer the car. Towed car to the dealer. They clear code returned the car and again 5 days later same problem towed to dealer. They kept the car for 3 days returned the car and now its handle like a truck. Different steering. Now going for third time tomorrow to see what happen. Very disappointed with the vehicle.

- Texas, TX, USA

Jul 302011

Fusion

2011 Ford Fusion 3300 miles. Power steering and stabilitrac failed. Taken to Ford garage where three components were replaced. Steering now requires excessive wheel pressure to respond and then tends to over steer.

- Crossville, TN, USA

Jul 282011

Fusion 4-cyl

Drove my brand new 2011 Ford Fusion with 5,000 miles on it on vacation. The trip was approx 400 miles. During the trip I drove the car, and one afternoon the service power steering light came on, and the advance track warning came on as well. By the time I made it back to the place I was staying the vehicle had no steering and had to be towed to the nearest Ford dealer. It was returned to me the next day and the service manager said it was "all set", although when I drove away the steering still felt "off" to me. I was almost home from my trip and the lights lit up again, the car became increasingly difficult to steer, so even though it was Saturday I drove it directly to a Ford dealer near my home and left it there, by the time I parked it the steering was gone again. Car is at Ford dealer and I am waiting for a status.

- Voorheesville, NY, USA

Jul 092011

Fusion

2011 Fusion, just over 1000 miles, drove 1 hr in 100 deg temp. Power steering warning came on. Parked returned to vehicle while later, fix power steering now was the new warning, steering wheel did not budge, had to have it towed.

- Meadowlakes, TX, USA

Apr 092011

Fusion

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Fusion. The contact was exiting a parking space when the steering failed and became abnormally tight. The power steering came warning light did not illuminate until after the failure. The contact took the vehicle to the dealer where he was awaiting diagnosis of the failure and possible repairs. The VIN was unavailable. The failure and current mileage was 1,200.

- Columbus, GA, USA