CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2011 Fusion builds off the 2010's reputation. That's not a good thing.

2011 Ford Fusion steering problems

2011 Ford Fusion Owner Comments (Page 6 of 28)

Nov 012015

Fusion

I filed a previous complaint on this vehicle. I looked into a forum and discovered this particular model has had previous incidents like mine before. I am concerned there had not been a recall for this reason. The power steering going out while driving is dangerous. I am very concerned that it will take a tragedy for a recall to take place.

- Grand Prairie, TX, USA

Nov 012015

Fusion

I was driving the service power steering light came on, then I had no power steering. It was scary. I had my two girls in the car and I was trying to turn into a parking lot without having a wreck. I had no control of the vehicle. I made it, notre I'm currently sitting here waiting in a tow truck. I have tried to restart my car several times. I can't go anywhere. I'm anticipating the cost is more than a single mom can afford. I am thankful my children and I were not hurt. There was no warning at all!

- Grand Prairie, TX, USA

Oct 202015

Fusion

Over the past 4 months my 2011 Ford Fusion started losing the ability to steer my car. It always seems to happen when I am driving under 15mph and turning. This is really getting out of control and unsafe for myself and anyone I am driving around. The first time this happened I was inches away from hitting a little girl and her grandmother as I was turning to park my car at the mall when I suddenly lost control of the car. This has happened at least 15 times since that day and just yesterday I was making a turn onto a rather large street when this happened again. Thank god other cars were able to avoid me as I went into on coming traffic. The car ended up in the ditch. This is becoming very dangerous and I can't do anything about it because Ford says my car was built a few weeks too early and is not covered in the recent recall they did. My car is effected 100% as those cars included by they refuse to repair mine. Something has to be done about this for the sake of everyones safety. I know I am not alone in this, and I would hate to see someone get hurt before they take these complaints serious.

- Montgomery, IL, USA

Oct 192015

Fusion

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Fusion. While driving 40 mph, the service power steering and traction control warning indicators illuminated on the instrument panel. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the electronic power steering assembly failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 78,151.

- Independence, IA, USA

Apr 182015

Fusion

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Fusion. While driving at low speeds, the steering wheel was turned to the right and there was an abnormal noise coming from the front of the vehicle and the steering wheel was difficult to turn. The failure recurred numerous times. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the power steering gear failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and stated that the VIN was included in NHTSA campaign number: 15V340000 (steering). The failure mileage was approximately 123,839.

- Sandia, TX, USA

Jul 062015

Fusion

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Fusion. While driving approximately 25 mph, the steering wheel seized without warning. The failure recurred five times. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where the cause of the failure could not be determined. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The VIN was not provided. The approximate failure mileage was 45,000.

- Penn, PA, USA

Feb 012015

Fusion

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Fusion. While driving at approximately 5 mph, the power steering assist vault warning indicator illuminated and the steering wheel seized. The failure recurred numerous times. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and stated that the VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 15V340000 (steering). The failure mileage was approximately 96,680.

- Sunland Park, NM, USA

Oct 052015

Fusion

I was driving my 2011 Ford Fusion and the ABS and power steering lights came on and then my power steering went out, I was on my srtreet when this occured but I was not able to turn the car left or right and I hit the curb. Now after turning it off and on like most say on the forums nothing has worked I have called Ford and they refused to fix the issue, they stated they do have a recall out for this problem but not for my VIN.

- Pflugerville, TX, USA

Oct 022015

Fusion

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Fusion. While driving at approximately 15 mph and attempting to make a left turn, the power steering failed. The power steering warning indicator illuminated. The contact stated that an independent mechanic arrived at the scene, but was unable to assist due to the vehicle being electric and there was no place to add power steering fluid. The technician stated that the vehicle had to be repaired by the dealer. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 132,437.

- Aberdeen, MS, USA

Sep 112015

Fusion

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Fusion. While driving approximately 50 mph, there was a burning odor coming from the passenger side glove box. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. On another occasion, while turning left or right, the steering wheel became difficult to maneuver without warning. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the technician informed the contact that the vehicle was operating as designed. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 118,000. Updated 11/19/15

- Owensboro, KY, USA

Sep 072015

Fusion

We had a recall on power steering.had it checked by dealer told it was good then few days later power steering went out. The dealer worked on it 3 times then sent it back still tore up. The dealer is ed sherling Ford in enterprise al 36330.

- Enterprise, AL, USA

Aug 042014

Fusion

I was parked in a parking lot when I pulled out of the parking space and stalled and a car hit me. On September 18 I was on my way to work when pulling out of my driveway it stalled then once I pulled on my street at 20mph to 25mph the power steering completely stopped and advanced trac stopped also making it impossible to drive.

- Columbia, MD, USA

Sep 142015

Fusion

Power steering of my car shut off while driving. I was unable to turn the wheel effectively causing an oncoming motorist to swerve to avoid collision.

- Fremont, CA, USA

Aug 202015

Fusion

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that the vehicle was taken to the dealer on August 20, 2015 to complete the recall repair for NHTSA campaign number: 15V340000 (steering). The contact was not experiencing any failures before the recall was completed. Within a week, the advanced track warning light illuminated and the various gauges and warning indicators illuminated on the instrument panel. After the software update, the vehicle had a sudden loss of power. The vehicle was taken back to the dealer who stated that there was an electrical short within the module connections associated with the power steering. The vehicle was at the dealer for weeks as they diagnosed the vehicle. The manufacturer was notified and provided no remedy. The failure mileage was not available. MA 10/25/15

- Port Royal, SC, USA

Aug 032015

Fusion

2011 Ford Fusion. Consumer writes in regards to brake pads and steering wheel issues. The consumer stated when she gently applied the brake, she heard a popping sound. Also, there was a grinding noise coming from the steering wheel when she made a turn.

- Graham, TX, USA

Jun 102015

Fusion

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Fusion. While driving at various speeds, the power steering warning light illuminated. The contact discovered that the power steering assistance failed. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the power steering gear assembly needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 67,000.

- Kettering , OH, USA

Aug 272015

Fusion

My 2011 Ford Fusion SE has had the power steering assist failure light go off and the power steering does not work. I have read previous complaints and have restarted the vehicle after a minute or so and the light goes off, the power steering again works. I had the vehicle to the Ford dealership for an aligment and they had the same power steering issue. There has been a recall issued for this exact problem by Ford, however my particular vehicle is not part of the recall. I have talked to Ford and they have passed on my complaint to customer service who state there isn't anything they can do. I am so disgusted by Ford right now. I do fully understand that the recall is for certain vehicles manufactured at certain plants with certain parts, however I don't understand how a company can ignore someone regarding a safety issue that is exactly the same as the one their recall is for. Very unfair. At this time, I either have to pay out of pocket for the repair or continue to have a vehicle that is unsafe to drive.

- Roscommon, MI, USA

Aug 122015

Fusion

On 2 recent occasions, I lost my power steering while driving my vehicle. I did not get into an accident but nearly went off the road. I received 2 messages on my dashboard. Power steering assist default and service advancetrac. It is my understanding there is a recall ( 15S318) on 2011 Ford Fusion and other Ford vehicles with the same issue. I called Ford on 08/24/2015 and they told me my vehicle was not included in the recall. Approx cost for repair is 1600-2000. The power steering will not reset itself so I cannot drive the vehicle. It would be greatly appreciated if you could look into this matter.

- Sutton, MA, USA

Jul 042015

Fusion

I was driving early in the morning on July 4, 2015 and the steering went out prior to hitting a deer. I tried to avoid hitting the deer but couldn't turn fast enough due to the loss of steering. Since then I have had the subframe and both upper and lower control arms on both sides replaced and a wheel alignment completed as well. Still the loss of steering exists and the local dealership is not wanting to fix the issue. The first time the lost of steering occured I took the car to midas and they replaced the two 50 amp fuses and steering was restored. But Ford dealership is stating they saw no dtcs relating to loss of steering but the loss of steering message still shows up on dash.

- Fort Drum, NY, USA

Jul 012015

Fusion

It appeared to be loss of steering when leaving a parking spot in the parking lot. Steering still worked, but was difficult to turn, was able to get vehicle home by driving very slowly. After one day the car started up and the steering seemed to work ok again, but a steering code flashed in dash. Have not fixed car yet -- was told that repair would be over $1700 by a mechanic.

- North Royalton, OH, USA