CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2011 Fusion builds off the 2010's reputation. That's not a good thing.

2011 Ford Fusion steering problems

2011 Ford Fusion Owner Comments (Page 9 of 28)

Mar 152015

Fusion

Driving on interstate and steering completely failed, more or less felt like it locked-up. If I was on the next road I was going to, I would have probably crashed. Stopped vehicle and turned it off. Once restarted seemed to clear up but is still harder to steer. Originally I thought it may have been an isolated incident but the problem has re-occurred several times since even with others driving the vehicle.

- Mc Coy, VA, USA

Jul 252013

Fusion

While driving the car the power steering stopped working, turned the car off and restarted and then it worked again. This has happened about 15-20 times since the first incident. Since the error message went away when the car was restarted, a diagnostic would not find the problem. 4 days ago we were backing out of the driveway and it happened again with the error message - power steering assist default- this time restarting the car did not make the message go away. And the power steering was completed gone. We had to have the car towed to the dealership. They said the the entire power steering module has to be replaced for a total cost of $2000. If this would have happened while driving at a high speed, this could of resulted in a very serious accident with injury and damages to the car. The repair of this defect with this car should of been handled by Ford but they are not paying for the repair.

- Virginia Beach, VA, USA

May 012015

Fusion

Power steering suddenly stops working. Has happened several times, and is very scary. Definitely an accident waiting to happen here. I have noticed lately every time I start up the car the power steering does not work for the first 20 seconds or so then kicks in. Have called the Ford dealer to see what they think, and asked about the recalls, but I guess my model was not included, however I see is being investigated, so wanted to get my complaint in before doing so. Hopefully it will help the next guy. Shop says it will most likely need a new rack at like $1600+. I was about to just repair it when I found all these sites with hundreds of others complaining about the same thing which just pisses me off more..wince this was a car that the kids are learning to drive on, and were going to be driving, now have to figure out if we even trust it.

- Henderson, NV, USA

Jan 072015

Fusion

In May 2014 Ford recalled 900,000+ vehicles due to an issue with the power steering torque sensor. It affected escape, mariner, and Explorer models (including model year 2011 on all vehicles). I have a 2011 Ford Fusion and my vehicle has had the same issue several times. Around five times when I've put my car in reverse the power steering has gone out. The first three times it happened there were no lights or anything that prompted me there was an issue. I put the car in park, shut it off and restarted it and then the power steering was back working. The next time it happened, the warning message board on the dash showed a message that said "power steering default". I took the car to the dealer and they said it would cost $1,800 to fix as the torque sensor code appeared in their diagnostic test. The entire steering column needed to be replaced. I've contacted Ford and told them I'm having the same issue as the recalled vehicles; however, they said that because the issue isn't prevalent in my model and year vehicle that they'll just look into a "goodwill" discount on the repair. I've asked them to replace the steering column at no charge which they won't do which confuses me as I'm certain the technology they use in all their vehicles is similar, if not the same, and thus if they fixed the issue in other cars they should fix it for me as well at no cost. I'm now waiting to hear back from Ford or my dealer as to what discount they'll offer off the total repair cost - this however doesn't seem right to me so I'm contacting NHTSA in hopes they can provide some assistance.

- Maple Grove, MN, USA

May 062015

Fusion

The power-assisted steering suddenly failed causing the steering wheel to snatch out of my hands as I was pulling out of a parking lot. It then became harder to steer the vehicle. So I took it back to the Ford dealership that I had just bought it from.

- Lyons, GA, USA

Apr 282015

Fusion

Received a steering warning message and the power steering went out. Turned engine of and the back on and it was fine.

- Round Rock, TX, USA

May 022015

Fusion

While driving 25 mph on a two lane local street the power steering of my 2011 Ford Fusion failed on a curve. The car pulled abruptly to the right, went off the road and hit a curb causing a flat and a dented rim. The warning messages "service power steering now" and "service advance trac" alternately came on. After changing the flat the car still had no power steering. I proceeded with great difficulty to drive to a repair shop. After repeated efforts to reset the electric power steering mechanism, the mechanic got it working again. However, being familiar with the problem, he said it could stop functioning at any time again and was unsafe to drive. He told me there were at least a thousand complaints about the power steering failing in the 2011 Fusion. Should I pay over $2000 to replace the electric power steering system with another of the same faulty design" my car only has about 24000 miles on it. How many will I need" furthermore, I have been driving over 50 years and never have myself or any member of my family had a problem with power steering cutting in and out. I can't recall in my lifetime anyone ever saying his or her power steering had to be repaired. As a mathematician, I would Venture to say the number of failures in such a short time period is statistically significant when compared to the norm.

- Lincoln Park, NJ, USA

May 052015

Fusion 4-cyl

For the third time, power steering failure warning and a notice to service advancetrac, this time while traveling at 55 to 60 mph in heavy traffic. Was able to put car in neutral and restart engine and put back into drive. Issue went away and drove car home safely.

Apr 302015

Fusion

Opened garage door and started car to leave for work. Put car in drive and started to exit garage when "power steering failure" message appeared on dash. Could not move steering wheel. Stopped car and killed the engine. Restarted car and error message went away and power steering was normal.

May 032015

Fusion

I started my car. A warning light started beeping and my steering wheel would not turn. The message said "power steering assist fault". I turned the car off and on three times. The message remained the same. 2 hours later, I started it and the message was gone. While the message was on, I had no control of my car. Luckily, I was in my driveway.

- Seagoville, TX, USA

May 042015

Fusion 4-cyl

Had just navigated a sharp left turn from an exit ramp from an arterial road, and was driving below 40 miles per hour on major parkway/street when traffic light up ahead turned red. Applied brakes to stop with traffic ahead when "service advancetrac and power steering failure" warning messages appeared and stability control light lit up. Car had no power steering and it was difficult to move the wheel and I was unable to move over to the side of the road. When I came to a complete stop, I killed the engine and restarted the car. The warning messages went away and the power steering returned. This could be a potentially deadly problem, as the electric power steering does not behave at all like hydraulic systems do when losing power.

May 012015

Fusion 4-cyl

Power steering assist fault...along with andvancetrac issues....fails....turn off vehicle and used to work again well for a short time and again it would fail...failure occurred either at highway speeds or in parked position.... making steering difficult...

- Berino, NM, USA

Apr 272015

Fusion

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that while reversing at 5 mph, the steering wheel became difficult to turn. The contact had to apply force to the steering wheel in order to turn the vehicle. In addition, power steering assist fault was displayed across the message board. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic, who diagnosed that the power steering rack needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure recurred on numerous occasions. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 74,600.

- Hickory, NC, USA

Apr 302015

Fusion 4-cyl

I started the car and I got a stabilitrac/power steering error message. The power steering will not work. I tried waiting and restarting as I read online that is a way to fix it short term and it does not fix the problem. It has happened in the past but I did not record the date or mileage.

- Desert Hot Springs, CA, USA

Apr 112015

Fusion 6-cyl

As I attempted to pull out of a parking space, the steering wheel of my 2011 Ford Fusion became extremely hard to turn. A message on the dashboard indicated that the power steering assist had failed. After turning off the ignition and restarting the car, the steering seemed normal. Two days later the same thing happened as I prepared to leave a parking lot. The dealer replaced the rack and pinion for $1800. No additional incidents in the last few weeks.

- Modesto, CA, USA

Jun 272014

Fusion 4-cyl

Between June 1st and June 15, 2014, I began having problems with my battery not starting my car. After removing the cables and cleaning them, the car seemed fine for a few days then it went out. I replaced the battery and the car worked fine. A few days later, the power steering quit working. I learned at that time that my car is not equipped with hydraulic power steering after researching online, I also learned that my power steering outage was not unique and that there was an investigation into this problem for my make, model and year model. I have driven without power steering this entire time because I cannot afford to pay the high dealership diagnostic fees and what I'm sure will be expensive repairs since 3 two different calls to the dealership about their experiences with this problem were not answered with anything but "we have to see it first...", even though I asked only about what their recent knowledge and experiences with this problem have been.

- Fort Smith, AR, USA

Oct 012013

Fusion

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Fusion. While driving at 35 mph, the steering wheel seized. The vehicle was taken to a dealer who diagnosed that the electronic power steering gears needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 72,000.

- Sand Springs , OK, USA

Mar 202015

Fusion 4-cyl

The power steering was inoperable, the power steering default light came on. Turned the car off to reset it and it went away temporarily. This happened once in our garage as I was leaving for work and then a day or two later when I was about 30 miles from home. I was able to reset it once more and make it home before it went out completely. My husband was able to drive it in to the local Ford dealer, carefully and slowly.the steering was so difficult to manage I could not steer the car at all. We had it repaired at the cost of $1732.71. I had made the last payment 3/28/2015 and did not think the steering should become inoperable on a 4 year old car. We bought the car new and have taken good care of it, taking it in for all regular oil changes and maintenance. The steering gear assembly had to be replaced. I think the power steering recall should be applied to 2011 Fusion as well.

- Polk, OH, USA

Apr 272015

Fusion 4-cyl

My daughter was driving, made a right turn when the steering got tough. She was able to pull into an immediate driveway on the right when the steering froze up. She was not able to maneuver the car after that. I understand there are multiple complaints for the same issue. Ford has advised they do not have a recall for this so they will not repair.

- Upland, CA, USA

Feb 162015

Fusion

Feb 16, 2015: Upon the first start after replacing the battery, the "power steering assist failure" warning was displayed. This is the first known appearance of this warning. The warning message went away after re-starting the engine. Mid-to-late, March, 2015: Several occurrences of the power steering warning; all went away after re-starting the engine. The warning did not occur at every start of the engine. April 1, 2015: Vehicle taken in to a Ford dealer for service. The power steering control module (pscm) was programmed. April 20, 2015: The power steering warning message displayed again after starting the engine. Message went away upon re-start. April 23, 2015: Vehicle was examined by a Ford dealer. It was determined the pscm needed to be replaced. The part needed to be ordered and the replacement would be done at a later date. May 1, 2015: Vehicle scheduled to have the pscm replaced.

- Hatfield, PA, USA