CarComplaints.com Notes: Power steering problems started rearing their ugly head in the 2010 Fusion, so you'd think Ford had plenty of time to make sure those problems didn't creep into the 2012. But here we are.

The Electronic Power Assist Steering (EPAS) is a mess. It fails at an alarming rate. Don’t believe us? Take a look at NHTSA’s data on the subject.

And much like the power steering, we’re still seeing the same throttle body failures that started in 2010 continue in 2012.

2012 Ford Fusion brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Ford Fusion:

2012 Ford Fusion Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Dec 242013

Fusion 4-cyl

I was turning onto the street at about 25 mph and as I approached my home, the advance trac system light came on and then the service power steering now light came on. Steering wheel locked up as I tried to turn into the driveway and I ran over the cable box on the curb because it was hard to turn at that point. Prior to this incident, there were problems with air pressure in the tires at least three times. Light continually came on indicating low tire pressure. Car was purchased on November 2, 2013. Dealership offered the extended warranty, we signed papers for it. When it came time to use it, the warranty was not there. We didn't sign any cancellation papers for it. Now we have to deal with a bogus dealership/finance company and pay for a part that may or may not be needed.

- Houston, TX, USA

Sep 102013

Fusion 4-cyl

Service advance track light came on, power steering disabled and traction control disabled. Making turn onto side street incident occurred. No accident involved. First time a simple turn of the key fixed the problem now it is completely disabled. Took to dealer they confirmed it as the power steering gear assembly on the advance track system. Part cost from Ford $900. Outrageous for a well maintained 2012 with 40,000 miles. Please research dealer said they had numerous issues with this... thank you

- Corbin, KY, USA

Oct 042013

Fusion

I took a hard turn to avoid a collision and hit a curb. The steering got hard, the advanced track light came on, and the problem wont go away.

- Homestead, FL, USA

Aug 312013

Fusion 6-cyl

For several months, my 2012 Ford Fusion would occasionally have a power steering failure. Restarting the vehicle would solve this. However, today, the power steering failure is not going away. My hud reads "power steering assist fault" and "service advancetrac" I will be taking it to get serviced at my first opportunity. Searching the internet implies that this is a nearly ubiquitous problem.

- Warner Robins, GA, USA

Aug 142013

Fusion 4-cyl

I was traveling on interstate10 westbound at 65-70mph and my car slowly descended speed as I accelerated! cars behind me became dangerously close to my bumper! I then turned on my hazard lights and pulled over to the right shoulder and called roadside assistance. Thank god I was not hit by an 18 wheeler! the Ford dealership, where I purchased the car in March of 2013, said it was due to a bad 'throttle body unit.' I asked how long was it bad bc I just bought the car 5 months ago! the rep said he didn't know but now the throttle body is out! I had to pay the daily 'taxes' on the rental car the dealership gave me although I didn't think that was fair bc it was their fault that part went bad and it was covered under my certified pre-owned warranty! I had a $100 deductible warranty/policy.

- Katy, TX, USA