CarComplaints.com Notes: Power steering problems started rearing their ugly head in the 2010 Fusion, so you'd think Ford had plenty of time to make sure those problems didn't creep into the 2012. But here we are.

The Electronic Power Assist Steering (EPAS) is a mess. It fails at an alarming rate. Don’t believe us? Take a look at NHTSA’s data on the subject.

And much like the power steering, we’re still seeing the same throttle body failures that started in 2010 continue in 2012.

2012 Ford Fusion brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Ford Fusion:

2012 Ford Fusion Owner Comments

Sep 182016

Fusion

2012 Ford Fusion recall when coming to a stop sign, I went to put my foot on the brakes and my steering pulled to the right and I could not steer the car and the brake pedal went straight to the floor. There is no broken brake lines. When this happen it steered me into another car that was parked on the street. After the accident I did a safety recall through car max and found out that there is a safety recall 15N01 and 13N03, which showed that they were not done. So I went to the dealer ship that I brought the car from 6 months ago and they said no they did not do the recall only re-programmed the car 15S18B. I tried calling Ford directly but they said that there is nothing that they will do about it. Even after asking the question how can you just re-program medal and steering components? still yet I have no answers from anyone.

- West Bend, WI, USA

Sep 102016

Fusion

On cold starts this summer I back out of my driveway and press the brakes to stop and the brake pedal is rock hard and I can't stop. This is going to be my third time for this problem. The dealership has replaced the brake booster, master cylinder, brake fluid reservoir and brake booster check valve and vacuum hose.

- Dearborn Heights, MI, USA

Dec 302013

Fusion

The vehicle will stop running while sitting still (at light, stop sign), I took it in and to the dealership and they said oh yeah there's a computer update. I was never advised of the update and had to have my car die in the middle of several busy roads. After the update the car did not die any longer but that was a safety issue that should have been addressed I had to come in. The car will bog down when you press on the accelerator, it will bog down then lurch forward. The issue is when starting from a stop or any time you are attempting to accelerate. The shifting of gears seems to be slow to change. I have taken it to the dealer and I am told they can not repeat the "issue". I have had issues with braking as well. The car when in reverse on an incline did not work and I rolled down into the street. I had the brakes checked and again was told they were not able to "repeat the issue". the air conditioner will only work when it wants to. Sometimes it blows cold air sometimes it blows hot air.

- Lexington, KY, USA

Apr 012016

Fusion

Driver seat, heater got super hot to the point of burning a few time, then stopped working altogether by 68K miles. Brakes, right side front completely wore thru outside pad only by 48K miles, right rear did same thing by 70K. In both instances only one pad was shot. Why only one pad wearing to backing plate, looks like pads not releasing. Electrical, all windows, including moon roof, open by themselves while nowhere near car and it's locked.

- Somerset, WI, USA

Apr 192016

Fusion

I went in for a routine oil change and car check up. They told me there is brake fluid leaking from the master cylinder into the brake booster and it rusted. Back brakes and rotors needed, flushing system $1400? they said I was lucky cause they could give out at anytime causing a fatal accident.

- Newark, NJ, USA

Mar 252016

Fusion

The contact owns a 2012 Ford Fusion. The contact that while reversing and depressing the brake pedal, the brakes failed to respond. The contact mentioned that the vehicle was at an incline and she continued to depress the brake pedal but it traveled to the floorboard. As a result, the contact turned violently to the right in order to avoid crashing into the neighbors house and crashed into a fence on the drivers side. The vehicle was towed to the dealer but the failure was undetermined. The approximate failure mileage was 39,000.

- Kernersville, NC, USA

Mar 252016

Fusion

The contact owns a 2012 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that the brake system failed to engage. On one occasion, the contact reversed from the drive way and the brake pedal stuck to the floor board causing the contact to crash into a fence. The vehicle was towed to the local dealer for further inspection. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 39,000.

- Kernesville, NC, USA

Sep 012015

Fusion

The contact owns a 2012 Ford Fusion. While shifting the gear shifter into drive, the contact attempted to depress the brake pedal. The pedal failed to depress and the contact heard an abnormal noise coming from the pedal. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the hydraulic control unit needed to be replaced and reprogrammed. The vehicle was repaired; however, the failure recurred. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who diagnosed that the hydraulic control unit needed to be reprogrammed. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 120,000.

- Douglasville, GA, USA

May 012015

Fusion

What feels like is brakes sticking. 1st noticed when backing out of driveway one morning. I put car in reverse it wouldn't move without acceleration. On good days it moves on it's own. When it's acting up and I let off acceleration, car stops itself abruptly without applying brake. Early this week me and my son were stopped at drive thru window (thank god not at a stop light). When I went to accelerate to leave, my car wouldn't move. Embarrassed I accelerated harder and finally got it moving but it sounded like brakes were sticking, I couldn't go over 15 mph, car wouldn't shift was at 3 RPM, and any time I let off gas pedal the car abruptly stopped dead in tracks. Terrified I drove car a few blocks to my dad and as I was pulling into driveway they freed up. When this happens my brakes get real stiff (hard to press) he could feel the heat rolling off front tires and they smelled really hot. Took to 3 different dealerships and none can find a cause because the brakes aren't acting up at that point in time. They need to see it in action before they can get an idea. So here I am 2 months now still driving like this. This happens at least once a week. Comes and goes. Today I had PCM updated and powertrain replaced and after that when the mechanic got in car to move it, it didn't want to move. He described it as it was like having no power. They hooked it up and it showed power train. So they replaced it. He don't think it was my brakes doing this but yet the other dealership said you can clearly see where my front brakes have been really hot. I'm hoping somehow the update fixed it. Time will tell

- Linton, IN, USA

Jan 192015

Fusion

The contact owns a 2012 Ford Fusion. The contact took the vehicle in to the dealer for a check-up and it was found that the rear passenger side of the brake pads were metal on metal. The brake pads were replaced; however, 5,000 miles later, the brakes started to make a grinding sound again. The vehicle was taken back to the dealer and it was determined that the brakes needed to be replaced again. The dealer stated that the failure occurred because of the snow, but the contact stated the same failure occurred while in Florida with nice weather. The contact spoke to the manufacturer and was informed that this was normal wear for the brake pads. The contact stated that the manufacturer refused to repair the vehicle. Each brake change lasted less then 14,000 miles. The failure mileage was 55,233.

- Middleton, WI, USA

Nov 252014

Fusion

The contact owns 2012 Ford Fusion hybrid. The contact states that while driving approximately 30 mph, the brakes failed. The brake light illuminated after the brakes were applied. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic, who diagnosed a faulty wiring of the anti-theft system. The vehicle was repaired and the manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 57,000.

- Eastdale, CA, USA

Oct 132014

Fusion

I was driving at a speed of no more than 40 mph. I was on my way home from picking Y children up from school when the power steering went completely out on my car. There is a warning light on in my vehicle that says service power steering now and service advantrac. This is the first time this happened. I had my two young children with me the time it went out. The steering became extremely hard to control however no accident occurred. The brakes became hard to apply. If I had been going a faster speed when it happened I feel as though a wreck would have occurred. I haven't tried the restart method because of storms. There is less than 70,000 miles on my car and this is messed up. I have read other complaints about this and I think its something Ford should issue a recall for. I have only had this car about 5 months. I should not have to put 1500-2000 dollars into a repair for it. Thanks for investigating this.

- Golden, MS, USA

Nov 052012

Fusion 4-cyl

I saw on news that you were investigating power steering issues on the Ford Fusion 2012. This is a problem I have been having with my Fusion 2012 almost from the beginning. The vehicle was purchased with less than 10 miles on it and the issue started happening around the second month. I hear a ding and then the power steering goes out, the brakes paddle requires a lot of pressure to engage, and the accelerator paddle is not as responsive. Two error messages appear on the display, "power steering assist fault" and "service advancetrac." I mentioned it to the service department at the Ford dealer and he ask me to take a picture of the messages next time it happens and bring them in. I took pictures and brought them in, I'm then told that I have to bring the vehicle in while the error messages are showing in order for the mechanic to diagnose the problem. This will be almost impossible to do because after a restart the errors go away. I'm glad to see that this issue is finally being investigated.

- Woodbridge, VA, USA

Aug 192014

Fusion 4-cyl

I brought my car in to the dealers for a warranty issue. Upon checking the vehicle, they informed me the rear brake pads were worn to the metal and were damaging the rotors. They suggested it was unsafe as is and I should have the rear pads and rotors replaced asap. I drive long distances each day and usually get 70-80,000 miles before needing the front pads replaced and over 100,000 miles before needing new rotors replaced. I feel there is a major problem/malfunction with the rear brakes on Ford Fusion and they should be investigated and a safety recall issued.

- Meredith, NH, USA

Aug 062014

Fusion 6-cyl

Left for work this morning and first time I used my right turn signal, the signal made that fast clicking sound indicating the vehicle had a bulb that needed to be changed. After work I stopped by autozone to buy a replacement bulb. I removed the socket from the lens, and noticed that the bulb is melted into the socket. The bulb cannot be removed from the socket. I then checked the drivers side rear tail light bulb, and that bulb is also melted into the socket. I took my car to art hill Ford dealership (where I purchased the car), and was told that this would not be covered on my warranty. I was told I needed to make an appointment to have a technician look at it. I asked to have a technician please look at it now because I was concerned about the vehicle safety. The service rep said that could not happen because the technicians would have to be paid $56 just to look. I was shocked, disappointed, and worried. I made the appt. I only have approx 38500 miles on my vehicle. This should be covered under warranty or recall.

- Crown Point, IN, USA

Apr 202013

Fusion

My 2012 Ford Fusion gas peddle accel got stuck full throttle, therefore my brakes were not working properly to stop the vehicle, backing out of a parking spot and back rammed into neighbors wall with structure damage and totaling my vehicle.

- Irvine, CA, USA

Jan 032013

Fusion 4WD 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2012 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that whenever it rained and the vehicle sat overnight, the next morning the brakes would grind for a mile or would seize. The contact stated that after going a mile, the brakes functioned properly. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for inspection and they stated that it was normal and they would replace them. The vehicle was repaired but the failure recurred. The manufacturer was notified but provided no assistance. The failure mileage was 13,000....updated 04/25/13 updated 05/17.2013

- Erlanger, KY, USA