Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: Power steering problems started rearing their ugly head in the 2010 Fusion, so you'd think Ford had plenty of time to make sure those problems didn't creep into the 2012. But here we are.

The Electronic Power Assist Steering (EPAS) is a mess. It fails at an alarming rate. Don’t believe us? Take a look at NHTSA’s data on the subject.

And much like the power steering, we’re still seeing the same throttle body failures that started in 2010 continue in 2012.

2012 Ford Fusion drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Ford Fusion:

2012 Ford Fusion Owner Comments (Page 1 of 4)

Sep 082016

Lose of power. Must stop and restart car. Very close calls on highway with children in car. Both on highway and in town. Not safe to drive, 3rd time in 2 days.

- Ofallon, MO, USA

Aug 012016

Harsh shifts between 1-2 and or 2-3, flares when accelerating at times..... clutches seem to be slipping inside the tramsmission at times during hard acceleration....harsh downshifts... when slowing down for a traffic light but not coming to a complete stop and trying to accelerate the car acts "boggy" when the air is on. It seems like it can't decide which gear it should be in.

- Eau Claire, WI, USA

Aug 132016

So with in the pass week of 8/8/2016 thru 8/13/2016. I have had a wrench light come on 3 different times and car almost shut off, while driving down the street. So pull over and shut off and crank it back up and go on. However, its becoming a problem and come to find out this maybe throttle control/transmission issue. Somebody gonna get hurt, cause you never know when it gonna cut out on you. Also both door latches will not either open or lock from the inside. Causing existing issue.

- Rossville, GA, USA

Jul 262016

Over the past week my 2012 Ford Fusion decelerated, idled roughly, lost power steering and power breaking and the wrench dummy light came on. All 4 times it occurred below 30 mph in clear conditions. The car is extremely hard to handle and luckily I was in areas where I could pull over safely. Once pulled over I was able to restart the car and resume driving. I have brought in my car twice to a local mechanic who could not find any error messages on the computer. I have an appointment at the local Ford dealership to do more diagnostics. I am very concerned about the safety of this vehicle and its reliability.

- Lansing, IL, USA

Oct 182015

I purchased a used 2012 Ford Fusion with 30K miles on it in 2015. While driving on the freeway at 70mph the vehicle lost all power causing me to almost crash. The throttle body was diagnosed as the issue and was supposedly fixed under Ford customer satisfaction 13N03. Fast forward to July 15th, 2016 and the same thing happened while on the freeway. My car is now sitting at my local Ford dealership and either the dealership isn't fixing the car correctly or Ford has more issues they are hiding.

- Holtville, CA, USA

Dec 302013

The vehicle will stop running while sitting still (at light, stop sign), I took it in and to the dealership and they said oh yeah there's a computer update. I was never advised of the update and had to have my car die in the middle of several busy roads. After the update the car did not die any longer but that was a safety issue that should have been addressed I had to come in. The car will bog down when you press on the accelerator, it will bog down then lurch forward. The issue is when starting from a stop or any time you are attempting to accelerate. The shifting of gears seems to be slow to change. I have taken it to the dealer and I am told they can not repeat the "issue". I have had issues with braking as well. The car when in reverse on an incline did not work and I rolled down into the street. I had the brakes checked and again was told they were not able to "repeat the issue". the air conditioner will only work when it wants to. Sometimes it blows cold air sometimes it blows hot air.

- Lexington, KY, USA

May 272016

I am facing electrical issue in my car very frequently. The electrical problem occurs two ways, 1) while running 2) while starting the car while running:- when the electrical issue come while car is running then the below problem occurs, 1. transmission should not be set to parking, if set to parking then we cannot move to neutral or drive. It will be stuck and tow is the only option. 2. turn lights will not work. 3. head lights will not work. 4. door glass sliding will not work. 5. ac will not work 6. car display will not work for clock am/fm 2) while starting the car:- if the problem occurs while starting the car then I will be able to only start the car and the automatic transmission will not work. We cannot move the transmission from parking to neutral or drive. Towing the vehicle is the only option. This is dangerous while driving at night, I got this issue one time at night and I got the tough time in towing the car and getting to service centre. As the service centre is always busy they wont get the time to diagnosis immediately and at the time of they check it work properly. Any way they were not able to find any issues with me car. But when I take the car back to home the electrical issue often occurs. No one assure of the safety, and I am trying my best to drive at night and highways. Extremely dangerous.

- Long Beach, CA, USA

May 092016

When I'm either taking off or in motion riding down any type of road or highway a wrench light comes on some time. I look the icon up and it says something about the power tran or transmission. While in motion it feel as if I lost speed and then the wrench icon pops on. When taking off I can feel a jerk as if it can't get the power to shift and go.

- Orangeburg, SC, USA

Apr 012015

The vehicle has a hard shift between 1st and 2nd gear. Also the car will have a hard jerking while driving.. this doesnt happen all the time but is getting noticbly worse.

- Maxton, NC, USA

Sep 302014

It normally happens when accelerating.sometimes it will happen while vehicle is already in motion. It feels like the transmission is slipping. It jerks very hard when shifting. I had this issue address at the Ford dealer on 30 Sep 2014 and they state they could not find the shows mileage in and mileage out as the same. Doesn't appear that they drove it to find the issue.

- Proctorville, OH, USA

Mar 092016

Transmission shifting erratically, completed Ford reflash of tcm (tsb# 12-6-12) and made the transmission flare and gear pause go away. However now the vehicle after driving it a few hundred miles shifts very hard. This also causes the vehicle to accelerate forward in an inconstant manner (example - pushing on the gas pedal the same amount 2 different times from a stop resulted in a jack rabbit start and the other accelerated more smoothly without the sudden jolt.) the vehicle will do this repeatedly but only in light throttle applications, 1/2 throttle and above the transmission shifts perfect. The 6F35 transmission should be recalled for issues as the 2010-2016 model Fusion / escape vehicles have these issues when searching for common issues or remedies for the issues I've experienced.

- Nuevo, CA, USA

Jan 042016

As I put car in drive to take off the trans made a loud bang sound and didn't want to go forward. Reved up high and then took off.

- Mechanicsville, MD, USA

Nov 302015

The contact owns a 2012 Ford Fusion. While attempting to accelerate from a stop light, the vehicle jerked and sounded as if it would stall. The vehicle suddenly accelerated and was taken to a local dealer, but no failures could be found. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and referred the contact to NHTSA to file a complaint. The failure mileage was 25,000. The VIN was not provided.

- Mustang, OK, USA

Jul 092014

Transmission slams into gear from first to second, then second to third occasionally. I've had 3 brake calipers seize and 3 rotors replaced as a result. Brake wear is beyond pathetic. Rear turning signal/brake light bulb got so hot that it melted my actual taillight. Paint flakes off fenders from just washing with a brand new sponge.

- Warrenton, VA, USA

Feb 202012

While merging onto a busy highway it became necessary to slow down to approximately 25 mph and then to speed up to achieve the 55 mph traveling speed of traffic that I was merging with, the car hesitated for several seconds and then "clunked" into gear and sped up with overdrive engaged. The traffic behind and next to me was continuing at the speeds they were traveling at causing a potential collision. This continues even though I have had my dealer check out the transmission several times. It appears to be a problem when my car has to downshift and then immediately upshift to attain speed quickly as when the car in front of me slows prior to merging with oncoming traffic. I have narrowly avoided a collision three times as a result of this hesitation.

- Louisville, KY, USA

Jan 012014

At first the RPM's would increase ( around 500 RPM's) when the car upshifted when it was cold. As the motor and transmission warmed up the increase in RPM's upon upshift lessened. It appeared to me that the transmission was "slipping" as it went through the could hear the engine speed up and watch the tach to confirm what I was hearing from the engine. I took car to dealer and they checked it out. They said everything was functioning normally however the car still does it. Note that the car was under the 3 year bumper to bumper warranty at the time and the service advisor said that the car has a 60K powertrain warranty anyway. I did not like his statement. The problem seems to be getting worse as it sometimes revs between shifts when it is warmed up. Ford should step up and review my problem further. I plan to take the car to another Ford dealer to see what they say. Please advise.

- Wqake Forest, NC, USA

Aug 102015

I was traveling down a surface street when the car suddenly lurched forward and then lost all engine power. I was able to coast to a turn lane and shut the car off safely. The engine idle was extremely rough and sputtering. After restarting the car it operated normally until I reached my destination. This was the 2nd time today that the car malfunctioned in the same manner.

- Loganville, GA, USA

Dec 032013

I have had numerous problems with stalling, loss of acceleration, dying with my Fusion. It hesitates when driving and stalls when driving and stopped. The wrench and engine light are on again. I am very concerned for my safety due to these issues as there is never any warning of when it's going to occur. I have previously had my throttle body repaired/replaced but the same problems continue.

- Saint Charles, MO, USA

May 012015

What feels like is brakes sticking. 1st noticed when backing out of driveway one morning. I put car in reverse it wouldn't move without acceleration. On good days it moves on it's own. When it's acting up and I let off acceleration, car stops itself abruptly without applying brake. Early this week me and my son were stopped at drive thru window (thank god not at a stop light). When I went to accelerate to leave, my car wouldn't move. Embarrassed I accelerated harder and finally got it moving but it sounded like brakes were sticking, I couldn't go over 15 mph, car wouldn't shift was at 3 RPM, and any time I let off gas pedal the car abruptly stopped dead in tracks. Terrified I drove car a few blocks to my dad and as I was pulling into driveway they freed up. When this happens my brakes get real stiff (hard to press) he could feel the heat rolling off front tires and they smelled really hot. Took to 3 different dealerships and none can find a cause because the brakes aren't acting up at that point in time. They need to see it in action before they can get an idea. So here I am 2 months now still driving like this. This happens at least once a week. Comes and goes. Today I had PCM updated and powertrain replaced and after that when the mechanic got in car to move it, it didn't want to move. He described it as it was like having no power. They hooked it up and it showed power train. So they replaced it. He don't think it was my brakes doing this but yet the other dealership said you can clearly see where my front brakes have been really hot. I'm hoping somehow the update fixed it. Time will tell

- Linton, IN, USA

Feb 102015

Transmission shifts very hard - particularly at lower gears (1st to 2nd, 2nd to 3rd). It is a hard enough shift to jolt the passengers at times. This happens whether you accelerate rapidly or slowly. The transmission was evaluated at two separate dealerships soon after the vehicle was purchased (as a cpo vehicle). The second evaluation was mediated by Ford corporate customer care. Both times I was told that the hard shifting was "a known issue" and that its behavior was typical for this 6F35 transmission. Its hard to believe that Ford would knowingly allow this issue to continue without trying to resolve it. My primary concern is that this "known" issue will cause the untimely failure of my transmission due to the hard shifting.

- Irvine, CA, USA