Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: Power steering problems started rearing their ugly head in the 2010 Fusion, so you'd think Ford had plenty of time to make sure those problems didn't creep into the 2012. But here we are.

The Electronic Power Assist Steering (EPAS) is a mess. It fails at an alarming rate. Don’t believe us? Take a look at NHTSA’s data on the subject.

And much like the power steering, we’re still seeing the same throttle body failures that started in 2010 continue in 2012.

2012 Ford Fusion lights problems

lights problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Ford Fusion:

2012 Ford Fusion Owner Comments

Oct 082016

Taillights sockets are discolored and burnt looking. The plastic that holds the socket is melted.

- Batesville, AR, USA

Aug 202016

My right rear taillight has burned, causing the bulb to melt in the socket, possible fire hazard I would think. Socket & the bulb have been replaced. Both the Ford dealership & retail auto parts store, have denied any knowledge of this issue.

- Algonquin, IL, USA

May 272016

I am facing electrical issue in my car very frequently. The electrical problem occurs two ways, 1) while running 2) while starting the car while running:- when the electrical issue come while car is running then the below problem occurs, 1. transmission should not be set to parking, if set to parking then we cannot move to neutral or drive. It will be stuck and tow is the only option. 2. turn lights will not work. 3. head lights will not work. 4. door glass sliding will not work. 5. ac will not work 6. car display will not work for clock am/fm 2) while starting the car:- if the problem occurs while starting the car then I will be able to only start the car and the automatic transmission will not work. We cannot move the transmission from parking to neutral or drive. Towing the vehicle is the only option. This is dangerous while driving at night, I got this issue one time at night and I got the tough time in towing the car and getting to service centre. As the service centre is always busy they wont get the time to diagnosis immediately and at the time of they check it work properly. Any way they were not able to find any issues with me car. But when I take the car back to home the electrical issue often occurs. No one assure of the safety, and I am trying my best to drive at night and highways. Extremely dangerous.

- Long Beach, CA, USA

Jul 092014

Transmission slams into gear from first to second, then second to third occasionally. I've had 3 brake calipers seize and 3 rotors replaced as a result. Brake wear is beyond pathetic. Rear turning signal/brake light bulb got so hot that it melted my actual taillight. Paint flakes off fenders from just washing with a brand new sponge.

- Warrenton, VA, USA

Sep 202015

I moved the turn indicator lever up turn right and the quick blinker sound began. From past experience, I knew that a light bulb may be burned out. The bulb could not be checked alone because it wouldnt come out of the socket; the blackened blown bulb was fused to the socket. I replaced the entire socket/bulb set ($30.13 socket and $6 for a set of 2 bulbs). The next day, I moved the turn indicator lever down to turn left and the quick blinker sound began again. Again, the bulb alone could not be removed. The left blackened blown bulb and socket are fused. I have never had a bulb fuse into the socket before, let alone having it happen to two in a span of 24 hrs. The fuses to the lights were not burned out - there was no warning displayed to advise of a potential fire hazard. We spoke to our sales representative, since this was purchased by us 3 months ago as a preowned vehicle w/a 12month warranty. He said he was unaware of any issues and directed us to the service dept. Our call was directed to an answering machine. We will follow through.

- Romulus, MI, USA

Jul 122015

The right rear tail light went out. When I changed it I noticed the plastic socket was a little burnt. The next week the left tail light went out. When I went to change it I noticed it was far worse. It took everything just to get the bulb out. It was burnt. Now the new bulb won't stay in the socket.

- Arden, NC, USA

Apr 292013

Left license plate light socket screw would not tighten. When closing the truck, the lamp assembly would hang down a little on left side. I tightened the screw and found it to be stripped. Took vehicle to Ford dealership. Ford replaced the license plate lamp assembly.

- Carlisle, PA, USA

Aug 152012

Fusion 4-cyl

As I was coming from bible study this night; my car turned off; I saw a screw driver symbol appear and it went dead. After waiting for awhile for my husband, we were able to crank it again and proceed home. Two days later; it did the same thing. We took it to stokes of beaufort, where we purchased it and was told that there was a recall on our year. They advised us to take it to oc welch; and was told there that they recalled Fusion, but not our VIN #, but was told that they checked it and so nothing wrong. We would have to wait tell it stops completely. I do have extended warranty; but they didnt see the need to go any further. Days later, after coming from the laundry mat, the same thing happened again on top of a bridge with my two grand babies in the car, it just stopped. What am I to do"?"

- Beaufort, SC, USA

Sep 232014

Fusion 4-cyl

While driving at. Night headlights spontaneously went off. I took the car to several mechanics who saw condensation behind headlight cover. They directed me to take it to Ford. Several Ford mechanics told me the headlight system would need to be replaced. The condensation wiring was most likely damaged causing the lights to stop working. They told me this only happens when there is a defect and directed me to Ford customer relations. Because I am 2000 miles out of warranty and the service plan I purchased does not cover headlights, Ford will not look further into this issue. The car isn't even 2 years old. Serious safety risk. Now I am forced to borrow the funds to pay to fix the problem.

- Oak Park, MI, USA

Aug 062014

Fusion 6-cyl

Left for work this morning and first time I used my right turn signal, the signal made that fast clicking sound indicating the vehicle had a bulb that needed to be changed. After work I stopped by autozone to buy a replacement bulb. I removed the socket from the lens, and noticed that the bulb is melted into the socket. The bulb cannot be removed from the socket. I then checked the drivers side rear tail light bulb, and that bulb is also melted into the socket. I took my car to art hill Ford dealership (where I purchased the car), and was told that this would not be covered on my warranty. I was told I needed to make an appointment to have a technician look at it. I asked to have a technician please look at it now because I was concerned about the vehicle safety. The service rep said that could not happen because the technicians would have to be paid $56 just to look. I was shocked, disappointed, and worried. I made the appt. I only have approx 38500 miles on my vehicle. This should be covered under warranty or recall.

- Crown Point, IN, USA