CarComplaints.com Notes: Power steering problems started rearing their ugly head in the 2010 Fusion, so you'd think Ford had plenty of time to make sure those problems didn't creep into the 2012. But here we are.

The Electronic Power Assist Steering (EPAS) is a mess. It fails at an alarming rate. Don’t believe us? Take a look at NHTSA’s data on the subject.

And much like the power steering, we’re still seeing the same throttle body failures that started in 2010 continue in 2012.

2012 Ford Fusion steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Ford Fusion:

2012 Ford Fusion Owner Comments (Page 12 of 25)

Mar 032015

Fusion

The contact owns a 2012 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that while driving at 10 mph, the check engine and the power steering warning lights illuminated. As a result, the contact had to use excessive force to maneuver the vehicle. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 52,000.

- Raleigh, NC, USA

Feb 162015

Fusion

The contact owns a 2012 Ford Fusion. While driving at various speeds, the power steering would suddenly malfunction causing the steering wheel to become very difficult to turn. The contact indicated that the failure was intermittent and a warning message was present indicating "steering failure". the vehicle was taken to the dealer who was unable to diagnose the cause of the failure. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The VIN was not available. The failure mileage was 60,000.

- Carlsbad, CA, USA

Feb 032014

Fusion

Initially the Ford Fusion 2012 would not start. Towed to sawgrass Ford dealer & they fixed it. No mention that it was a recall to fix the throttle body. Our mechanic told us. Repaired car driven home and next day driving at 50 mph the power steering failed. Pulled over, restarted and continued driving to our mechanic without power steering. He advised the dealer should fix this. They refused. We tried to trade in for a Focus. Refused. Wanted $2000 to fix problem. Sold to car max & will never return to a Ford again.

- Weston, FL, USA

Feb 212015

Fusion 4-cyl

The electronic power assisted steering (epas) system failed. This has happened several times and I was able to pull over and restart the vehicle. After restarting the vehicle, it was fine to drive because the system reboot. On February 21, 2015, the epas would not reboot and I could not steer the vehicle. This could have resulted in a serious accident.

- Webster, TX, USA

Feb 232015

Fusion

The contact owns a 2012 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that while making a right turn at approximately 5 mph, the steering became difficult to maneuver as the advance track and the service power steering warning lights illuminated. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 100,000. The VIN was not available.

- Jewett, OH, USA

Feb 162015

Fusion

I stopped at the gas station and got back in my car after getting gas and drove out of the gas station parking lot when my steering wheel became very hard to steer and a few seconds later the advancetrac light came on and remained on the entire drive home, as well as the wheel was very difficult to turn and very scary. I have read about many others with this same complaint online and am wondering why this has not been recalled. This is very dangerous.

- Rowlett, TX, USA

Jan 232015

Fusion

Power steering on my Ford Fusion 2012 failed - I was on a highway off ramp and almost got into a crash as a result. I have contacted Ford several times about the issue, they seem not to care. Please help and look in to this before I actually get into a crash as a result of the powertrac steering failing. I have seen from online reports that many other people have this problem. This is now the sixth time this happened.

- Menlo Park, CA, USA

Jan 222015

Fusion 4-cyl

I was driving on a highway traveling around 65 mph when suddenly a warning light came on saying "power steering assist fault" and the steering wheel became hard turn. I managed to get out of the highway and drove home on streets with very difficult and hard to steer. I since contacted Ford dealer for probably there has been a recall on the problem, but they stated there is not and since my car is no longer under warranty I need to paid for repairs. I believe this issue should be consider for a recall, since the problem happened while I was driving and I easily could had been involved in automobile accident.

- Fontana, CA, USA

Jan 302015

Fusion 4-cyl

While driving the power steering stopped working.

- Glen Ellyn, IL, USA

Jan 142015

Fusion 4WD 6-cyl

While driving advancetrac warning came on along with service power steering soon warning. I drove approx 5 more miles before I got to work. When I left work in the morning, there was no power steering in the car. I had the car repaired (dealership said the system needed reset) on Friday the 16th and the problem recurred on the 20th. I was then told the vehicle would need a new part. I had the car serviced on 1/29/15 and within 5 minutes of leaving the garage, the warning lights were back and the power steering failed. I am currently working with the dealership to get the issue resolved.

- Uniontown, PA, USA

Jan 282015

Fusion

Front passenger tire was low and drove the car 1.75 miles to service station to fill up. During the drive warning messages turned on - service advancetrac & service power steering soon. After stopping the at a store and restarting the car, new messages turned on - service advancetrac & service power steering now. The power steering then turned off and the car was extremely difficult to control. Fortunately, the car was not in a turn or another steering intensive maneuver.

- Augusta, GA, USA

Jan 082015

Fusion

Driving power steering service light came on steering became hard couldn't turn wheel hit a snow mound damaged front bumper.

- Aurora, OH, USA

Jan 152015

Fusion

The contact owns a 2012 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that after starting the vehicle, the power steering warning light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the power steering module needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 50,000.

- Maxton , NC, USA

Jan 122015

Fusion 4-cyl

While driving my 2012 Ford Fusion my power steering went out causing me to lose control of the vehicle while I was turning causing me to side swipe my door against a pole.

- Nashville, TN, USA

Jan 072015

Fusion

Car was driving fine no problems day before. Get up to take child to school start car, says service power steering soon, service advance track soon. Drop child off (less than 5 miles away), go back home park car, go to leave for work (same day) start car again now says service power steering now. Can hardly turn the wheel. Can't drive it like this to dangerous.

- Taylorsville , KY, USA

Jan 062015

Fusion 4-cyl

Turning onto a main highway, power steering went out. Was unable to make the turn, worked very hard to avoid traffic coming from both sides. Steering wheel would not turn. Wound up crashing into a stoplight. Took car to Ford dealer. Said electrical problem and they reset power steering. Drove car home. 12 hours later, on my way to work in the morning, check steering light came on and power steering went out immediately. At Ford dealership now for yet another diagnosis. Extremely dangerous situation.

- Eagan, MN, USA

Jan 152015

Fusion

The contact owns a 2012 Ford Fusion. After starting the vehicle, the transmission was shifted into reverse and the steering wheel became difficult to turn. The service power steering now warning light illuminated. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 71,444.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Jan 122015

Fusion 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2012 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that while driving approximately 35 mph, the steering became difficult to maneuver and the power steering assist warning light illuminated. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 94,000....updated 02/11/15

- Hyattsville , MD, USA

Jan 092015

Fusion 4-cyl

While driving the vehicle the power steering unit failed completely making the vehicle extremely difficult to navigate. Warning lights to service the power steering and advance trac system came on.

- Tomball, TX, USA

Jan 052015

Fusion

While driving home, message board on the dash warns me and says power steering service now and the second message said advance trac now and then the power steering completely goes out. After muscling the steering wheel home I turn it off for a few minutes, still not working I then drive it to the dealership. The dealer explained that it was going to be either the power steering sensor or the whole rack and said that it was going to be $95 just to look at it without fixing anything. I just told him don't worry about it and left.

- Winston Salem, NC, USA