CarComplaints.com Notes: Power steering problems started rearing their ugly head in the 2010 Fusion, so you'd think Ford had plenty of time to make sure those problems didn't creep into the 2012. But here we are.

The Electronic Power Assist Steering (EPAS) is a mess. It fails at an alarming rate. Don’t believe us? Take a look at NHTSA’s data on the subject.

And much like the power steering, we’re still seeing the same throttle body failures that started in 2010 continue in 2012.

2012 Ford Fusion steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Ford Fusion:

2012 Ford Fusion Owner Comments (Page 13 of 24)

Dec 112014

Fusion

First incident was in 2013, driving down freeway and advance trac light came on then the power steering went out on car. Took in for repairs and cost me $2054 for repairs, was told not under warranty. Paid for repair and here it is less than on year later and I have same failures on my vehicle as my husband, son and grandson were coming back from a trip. Thank god no one was hurt. First advance trac light came on followed by power steering fault light came on and they lost the power steering to the car. Tried to turn car off and restart car again and still no power steering available. This is becoming quite common for this model car because my daughter has the same car and had the exact same issue. Something has to be done, before someone gets killed. Always after the issue happens when driving car the engine shifts really hard, RPM's go up and then slams into gear!!!!

- Shreveport, LA, USA

Dec 072014

Fusion 4-cyl

Going the speed of 35 mph my steering got real tight and when I went to make a turn it was very hard to turn. Took to my local Ford dealership they informed me that my steering gear has went out along with the swing arms.

- Cordele, GA, USA

Dec 062014

Fusion

While driving our 2012 Ford Fusion at approximately 45 mph the dashboard warning message "service power steering soon". within about 5 miles the steering became very difficult and it was obvious that the power steering had failed. The mileage was approximately 48,600 miles. We took it to the dealership where we purchased the vehicle and were told that the rack and pinion system needed to be replaced, and that the cost was over $1,700. Fortunately the incident did not lead to an accident.

- Hartville, OH, USA

Jan 102013

Fusion

The contact owns a 2012 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that while driving approximately 10 mph, the steering wheel seized as the advance track warning light illuminated. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 69,001. The VIN was not available.

- Clarksdale, MS, USA

Jun 102014

Fusion

The contact owns a 2012 Ford Fusion. The contact stated while driving approximately 65 mph, the engine stalled and the traction light and power steering light illuminated. The vehicle restart but failed to operate. The failure recurred multiple times. The vehicle was taken to a dealer and independent mechanic. The technician stated that the power steering needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired but the failure recurred. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 80,000.

- Wagsworth, OH, USA

Nov 202014

Fusion 4-cyl

I was driving about 30mph and all of a sudden the "service advancetrac" warning popped up in the cars dash along with "service power steering now". I lost my power steering and this was very odd and dangerous because it left me with no power steering in the middle of driving. Considering the car is only 2 years old and having only 35000 miles this should be a problem that has to be taken care from Ford.

- Livonia, MI, USA

Oct 252013

Fusion 4-cyl

The power steering on my 2012 Ford Fusion went out.

- Detroit, MI, USA

Nov 152014

Fusion

The contact owns a 2012 Ford Fusion. While driving approximately 30 mph, the power steering failed. The vehicle was not taken to a dealer or independent mechanic. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The failure mileage was unknown.

- St. Louis, MO, USA

Nov 142014

Sudden loss of steering.

- Leclaire, IA, USA

Oct 232014

Fusion

Ford Fusion 2012 power steering went out. Car is near impossible to operate. Took it to shop, is going to cost upwards of $1,900 to fix, car is no longer under warranty. Power steering light came on, issue was not corrected upon re-start.

- Louisville, KY, USA

Fusion

The contact owns a 2012 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that while driving approximately 10 mph, the steering wheel became difficult to turn as the service power steering warning light illuminated. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 69,625.

- Marlboro , MA, USA

Nov 042014

Fusion

The contact owns a 2012 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that while driving approximately 50 mph, the vehicle veered to the left causing the contact to crash into a ditch, mailbox and a few small trees. A police report was filed. The contact sustained bruising, a broken tail bone and nose. The middle rear seat passenger sustained lacerations to the head and both passengers¿ required medical attention. The vehicle was destroyed. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 39,500.

- Adrian , MI, USA

Nov 022014

Fusion

The contacts owns a 2012 Ford Fusion. While driving 65 mph, the steering wheel seized and the advanced trac steering and power steering lights illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The technician diagnosed that there was system failure. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 70,000.

- East Hartford, CT, USA

Fusion

As I was driving down the road yesterday, K suddenly lost all power steering in my 2012 Ford Fusion.'the dash reads "service power steering now"... I am a 23 year old female and it takes every bit of strength I have to maneuver the vehicle at this time. Very disappointed that a vehicle 2 years old would need the entire power steering system replaced (according to Ford. This would cost around 2400). This is very dangerous and could cause accidents and/or fatalities! Ford needs to own up and deal with this problem.

- Tellico Plains , TN, USA

Fusion

I was traveling down the interstate at appox. 70mph and the service power steering now, and service advanctrac signal came on, and I lost all power steering. Luckily I did not wreck, but when I called the Ford dealership today they wanted to charge me $100 per message.

- Woodbury, TN, USA

Jul 092013

Fusion 4-cyl

Was in the car at stop light. When I went to step on the gas the warning lights came on and car had no power steering. Car was very hard to steer and could have caused an accident. Got to a parking garage and managed to park and turned off the car. Restarted it and power steering came back on. It happened again about a week later in my driveway as I went to leave. Turned car off and it came back on again. Took car to Ford dealer where they said they had to replace the whole power steering assembly to the tune of $1800 on basically a 1 year old car! sent a complaint to Ford where they blew me off and dealer said there was nothing he could do. This is hazardous and should be recalled.

- Tacoma, WA, USA

Fusion 4-cyl

Slowing down for a stop sign. The power steering went out making it very difficult to steer. Shut off the car and restarted it and the problem went away.

- Maumee, OH, USA

Sep 152014

Fusion 4-cyl

Warning light came on and within the next 3 miles, steering failed, resulting in loss of control and significant increased effort in steering in order to get to safety.

- Rochester, MN, USA

Oct 282014

Fusion 4-cyl

My cars lost power-assisted steering, causing increased steering effort. The following messages appeared when I lost the power steering "power steering assist failure" and "service advancetrac." This happened when I was driving on a residential street. When I restarted the car the power-assisted steering was functioning, enabling me to drive the car to the dealer. The car is now at the dealer for repair. The dealer experienced the same issue when taking the car out for a test ride. They are ordering a rack and pinion in hopes to repair the car.

- Wilton, CT, USA

Oct 302014

Fusion

At highway speeds car has a tendency to wonder and not.

- Moscow, ID, USA