Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: Power steering problems started rearing their ugly head in the 2010 Fusion, so you'd think Ford had plenty of time to make sure those problems didn't creep into the 2012. But here we are.

The Electronic Power Assist Steering (EPAS) is a mess. It fails at an alarming rate. Don’t believe us? Take a look at NHTSA’s data on the subject.

And much like the power steering, we’re still seeing the same throttle body failures that started in 2010 continue in 2012.

2012 Ford Fusion steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Ford Fusion:

2012 Ford Fusion Owner Comments (Page 13 of 23)

Oct 282014

Fusion 4-cyl

My cars lost power-assisted steering, causing increased steering effort. The following messages appeared when I lost the power steering "power steering assist failure" and "service advancetrac." This happened when I was driving on a residential street. When I restarted the car the power-assisted steering was functioning, enabling me to drive the car to the dealer. The car is now at the dealer for repair. The dealer experienced the same issue when taking the car out for a test ride. They are ordering a rack and pinion in hopes to repair the car.

- Wilton, CT, USA

Oct 302014

At highway speeds car has a tendency to wonder and not.

- Moscow, ID, USA

Oct 012014

Fusion 6-cyl

2012 Ford Fusion. Consumer writes in regards to loss of power steering on four occasions. The consumer stated the power steering would resume normal operation, after turning the engine off and re-starting it.

- Abbeville, SC, USA

Oct 152014

The contact owns a 2012 Ford Fusion. While driving approximately 5 mph, the power steering became inoperable. The failure recurred several times. The vehicle was taken to the dealer and an independent mechanic for diagnostic testing. The technician stated that the electronic power system assisted module needed to be replaced. The vehicle has not been repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 51,000.

- Gainesville, GA, USA

Oct 282013

Fusion 4-cyl

The power steering on our 2012 Ford Fusion started to sporadically stop working and then start working again on multiple occasions. Ford could not diagnose the problem due to it working at time of service but suggested that it could possibly be due to low tire pressure. After multiple occurrences it finally stopped working completely. The Fusion was towed to Ford service where they found it needed repairs of approximately $1500 to replace a part in the power steering that was not covered under warranty. Ford customer care offered no assistance on repairs for steering failure but only told us it was our responsibility to pay for parts and repairs that were out of the warranty period. There have been no recalls due to power steering failure at the present time. We feel very lucky that the steering failure did not cause an accident.

- Fishers, IN, USA

Oct 182012

Fusion 4-cyl

The electric power steering has failed about 6 times since I received the car new at the end of 2011. Each time the power steering failed a message would appear on the dash stating that the power steering has failed, then the steering wheel becomes very, very hard to turn. Shutting the car off and restarting it corrects the problem until the next time it happens - this could be 10 months or as short a 2 days. The failures have occurred in different driving environment - parking lots twice, town roads, and highways. When the power steering fails the forces required to steer the car are extreme. I'm an average person (5'8" 180lbs) and have barely enough strength to turn the wheel in a failure condition. My sister (5' 2" 105 lbs) will likely crash. Took the car to the Ford dealer today to have the problem repaired, and after $148 for a diagnostic charge they said they found no fault codes in the car computer indicating there had been any power steering failures, and there was nothing they could do about until they physically saw the problem. No fault code registration for such a serious problem is unbelievable - a serious defect in itself. I conceder this car unsafe to drive.

- Bridgewater, NJ, USA

Jul 192014

Fusion 4-cyl

Taking off from being stopped at red light. Power steering assist light came on and my power steering failed. I pulled to safe spot off road while my wife checked vehicle manual. It instructed to turn off engine and wait 10 seconds. We did and vehicle steering was fine. Since my car was due for a 60,000 mile inspection I took the vehicle to the dealer. I explained what happened and they said it may be a computer module that would cost about $125 on top of the routine inspection charges. I was quite surprised and very angry when the dealer called and said it would cost about $2200. What really made me angrier was that the car was 1000 miles or so out of warranty and I just made the last car loan payment. The dealer said they see it with Fusion but usually after they have hit pot holes. The fact that they said, it was something they see on Fusion made me wonder why the company can't get out ahead of the problem, and recall them. I also had a transmission slippage problem when we first bought the car and they said we had a kit to fix it since it happens on the "new Fusion". because of these problems I am done with Ford. My first one and last one!! sorry to say this has once again soured me on american cars. I am going back to imports which I have never had problems with in 40 odd years. Thank you for your attention to this matter and I will look forward to progress on this issue in the future.

- Algonac, MI, USA

Oct 272014

I have been having problems with my 2012 Ford Fusion for approx 6-7 months now. When I start the car I get a message saying "power steering assist failure" and the car is very hard to steer. I will turn it off and the re-start, sometimes having to do this 3 or 4 times before it finally works. As of today, the message appeared, the power steering will not reset regardless of how many times I re-start. It also gives a different message about service required to the stabilitrac.

- Rhome, TX, USA

Sep 252014

Driving down the road and it popped up service power steering now. So I drove it onto the store. Cut the car off came back out of store and cranked my car and it then said service power steering now tried to back up and couldn't. it was very hard to turn. Been sitting in my yard since then because it is such an expensive problem to fix. I personally think there should be a recall and Ford needs to do it soon.

- Bowman , GA, USA

Oct 262014

Fusion 4-cyl

Power steering assist failed. Making wheel unturnable. This has happened and been replaced numerous times.

- Austin, TX, USA

Jul 162014

Within just a couple of miles after 36000 warranty expired the power steering developed a clunk sound every time I was turning left or right from dead center, and it was felt in the steering wheel. It felt like the something was loose in the power steering mechanism. I took it to a mechanic and he told me the it was so bad that he was surprised I made it to his shop without an accident. He told me that the power steering had to be replaced.

- Roswell, GA, USA

Oct 222014

Fusion 6-cyl

I was driving and the power steering went out. The light came on and a message that said it was the power steering. I was unable to turn the wheel. Once I turned the car off and back on it was fixed.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Oct 202014

Fusion 4-cyl

I have a 2012 Ford Fusion and my vehicle has lost power steering due to the advanced trac and power steering assist fault. - I was backing out of my driveway luckily I did not hit anything or anyone. I could not imagine this happening while on the freeway, this is extremely dangerous. This should be a recall, consumers should not have to pay for something like this. Ford needs to step up and take care of this problem - I will never buy another Ford if this is not taken care of.

- Tracy, CA, USA

Oct 192014

When driving the vehicle home on my neighborhood street, the advancetrac/power steering warning came on and I suddenly lost my power steering. I was able to pull in my driveway and park the vehicle. I looked online for possible solutions and found that there were a lot of other people who've had this same problem. I tried to restart the car hoping that would fix it, with no luck. This is a serious safety hazard! not having the ability to steer a vehicle could result in an accident very easily. I drove the vehicle to my local dealership (using a lot of muscle) and am awaiting a response from them. This is something that Ford should issue a recall on. What is more concerning is that they issued a recall on a very similar problem on the Explorer and escapes. Why would they not have done it for the Fusion too!? I hope they get this resolved before someone is badly injured or killed due to this faulty design.

- Jefferson City, MO, USA

Sep 042014

Fusion 4-cyl

Driving down the road and all of a sudden warning signal went off and the warning message said "power steering assist fault" and then "service advancetrac". I had no power steering. I was coming up to a red light, so I was able to stop. I turned the car off and turned it back on and everything was fine. This has happened twice now to me while driving this car. This is very unsafe because you loose all control of steering at the time!

- Gibraltar, MI, USA

Jan 182013

I drove to the bank to cash a check. Vehicle is fine driving there when I went to leave and back out of my parking stall I had no power steering at all.

- Vacaville, CA, USA

Oct 132014

The contact owns a 2012 Ford Fusion. While traveling approximately 60 mph, the power steering failed and sensors illuminated on the instrument panel. The contact indicated that the sensors displayed service advanced trac and service power steering now. The contact merged to the side of the road and turned off and restarted the vehicle. Upon restarting the vehicle, the sensors remained illuminated. The contact parked the vehicle due to the safety concern. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified. The approximate failure mileage was 60,000.

- Mt. Judea, AR, USA

Aug 112014

Fusion 4-cyl

The power steering on this vehicle has constantly lost power. This occurs while driving. The only way to fix the issue is to turn of the vehicle and restart the car. This is very dangerous, especially while driving.

- Charlotte, NC, USA

Oct 132014

I was driving at a speed of no more than 40 mph. I was on my way home from picking Y children up from school when the power steering went completely out on my car. There is a warning light on in my vehicle that says service power steering now and service advantrac. This is the first time this happened. I had my two young children with me the time it went out. The steering became extremely hard to control however no accident occurred. The brakes became hard to apply. If I had been going a faster speed when it happened I feel as though a wreck would have occurred. I haven't tried the restart method because of storms. There is less than 70,000 miles on my car and this is messed up. I have read other complaints about this and I think its something Ford should issue a recall for. I have only had this car about 5 months. I should not have to put 1500-2000 dollars into a repair for it. Thanks for investigating this.

- Golden, MS, USA

Apr 252014

Fusion 4-cyl

I went out to start my car in my driveway and the steering was completely locked up. I had the car towed to my local dealership and was told this had been happening a lot on the 2012 Fusion. The total cost to repair my steering was $1,846. The receipt states the following: "owner reports no power steering and service advance track light on. Towed in. Diagnosed and replaced inoperable epas steering gear. Re-test. Ok." the parts replaced were ae5Z-3504-ce gear asy - steering.

- Franklin, TN, USA