CarComplaints.com Notes: Power steering problems started rearing their ugly head in the 2010 Fusion, so you'd think Ford had plenty of time to make sure those problems didn't creep into the 2012. But here we are.

The Electronic Power Assist Steering (EPAS) is a mess. It fails at an alarming rate. Don’t believe us? Take a look at NHTSA’s data on the subject.

And much like the power steering, we’re still seeing the same throttle body failures that started in 2010 continue in 2012.

2012 Ford Fusion steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Ford Fusion:

2012 Ford Fusion Owner Comments (Page 23 of 25)

Aug 152013

Fusion 4-cyl

Power steering failed when driving in rush hour traffic. Driver got the car into a parking lot and turned off engine and restarted. Power steering was restored. The next day while driving approximately 25 miles an hour power steering quit again. Warning message appeared on display "power steering assist fault. Service advancetrac". restarted vehicle and power steering restored. Drove approximately 4 miles and the power steering failed again. Drove vehicle to a Ford dealership where the steering gear assembly was replaced.potentially dangerous situation. Wife was driving the first time and she didn't have the strength to steer the vehicle very well. If it had occurred on the freeway, could have been catastrophic. Hope Ford deals with this issue.

- West Linn, OR, USA

Aug 152013

Fusion

Waiting to turn left, as I started to go about mid-turn the power steering just stopped working? there was like a rubbing noise as this happened ( very loud) the indicator light came on about servicing the advance trac. I shut the car down and the problem went away for now.

- La Porte, IN, USA

Aug 012013

Fusion 4-cyl

While driving less than 20 mph, I slowed down to pull up next to my mailbox when the power steering failed, nearly causing me to hit the mailbox. The car warning light and dinging sound went off and the instrument panel display said "power steering failure" then changed to "service advancetrac." Took vehicle to dealer the next day, was told some kind of gearbox failed in the power steering and it was replaced under warranty.

- Star, ID, USA

Aug 042013

Fusion 4-cyl

My daughter was driving the car when the power steering quit and a warning dash light turned on. This is a very dangerous situation because it is difficult to control the car without power steering. She drove the car to a friends house and called me. I told her to come home and have her boy friend drive the car. When the car was started the failure cleared. I took it to the dealer and the car drove fine. After the dealer inspection, I was told that the car needed a new rack and pinion at a cost of $2400. If the rack and pinion are bad, why would the code clear? something else is going on.

- Alta Loma, CA, USA

Aug 022013

Fusion

The contact owns a 2012 Ford Fusion. The contact stated while driving approximately 55 mph there was a complete loss of power steering without warning. The steering wheel became difficult to turn. The vehicle was maneuvered to the side of the road where the engine was turned off. Upon restarting, the power steering resumed in normal operation. The failure recurred multiple times before reaching the driver's destination. The vehicle had not been repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 42,000.

- Forney, TX, USA

Jul 212013

Fusion 4-cyl

Was stuck in traffic for over three hours in about 25mph. At about 20 mins left in traffic, info light came on and stated power assist needs servicing and advance trac needs service. Then I was unable to turn easily onto the next few streets. We tried all different things to fix problem. Had to take it to the dealership where they replaced the steering rack but could not isolate the problem. Luckily for me the problem was covered under the warranty. Seems to be driving fine now but I am lucky this was at low speeds and did not cause an accident because I had both my young children and husband in the car. My husband had to drive the car home for two hours after this problem because we were out of town.

- Norfolk , VA, USA

Aug 152012

Fusion 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2012 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that while in reverse, the vehicle violently jerked intermittently. The steering wheel seized with the illumination of the power steering assist failure light. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnosis but they were unable to duplicate the problem. The manufacturer was notified. The approximate failure mileage was 600...updated 12-05-13 the consumer also stated the transmission did not shift correctly and it would slam into reverse.

- Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Jul 232013

Fusion 4-cyl

My wife was getting ready to leave the house and drop the kids off at daycare and then go to work. The power steering went out on her before and I told her to turn it off and back on. Last time it worked to reset the power steering, but this time after attempting to turn the car off and on 5 times the power steering is still out. The scariest part is what could have happened if my wife had been driving with the kids and trying to make a turn?

- Moore, OK, USA

Jul 192013

Fusion 6-cyl

On my way to work in the morning on a back country road, I went around a 90 degree turn, braking before going into the turn. On the way out of the turn, the engine stalled as I was trying to accelerate. I came to a stop, put the vehicle in park, and then it restarted with not problem, but shocked me a bit.

- Lititz, PA, USA

Jul 082013

Fusion

While operating the vehicle at 25 to 30 mph on urban street, the power steering assist stopped functioning as I entered a right hand curve, approximately 100 feet after a left turn. The vehicle had been in operation for approximately 20 minutes in stop and go city traffic. Temperature was approximately 75 degrees, clear and sunny. The "service advancetrac" warning message came up, along with an indicator on the inst. Cluster. Very hazardous and could lead to loss of control. Engine restart cleared the error message and vehicle returned to normal function.

- Seattle, WA, USA

Jun 252013

Fusion

Lost power steering with no warning. Fortunately, I was approaching a stop light. Could proceed ahead, but could not make left turn without great effort. Had to be towed.

- Arlington, MA, USA

Jul 062013

Fusion

Was making a left turn and braking when dummy light came on I could not make the turn locked up and had to turn forcefully to get out of intersection good thing no cars were coming the other way.

- Lakewood, NJ, USA

Jun 292013

Fusion 4-cyl

I backed out of my garage and the steering "locked". I could not turn the wheel. A message appeared on the screen "power steering " etc. I checked the manual and followed instructions to wait 10 minutes and try again. It worked but I did not drive. I brought my car to my dealer on July 1. they ordered parts to arrive next day. My husband picked me up. This is a scary situation !

- Bernardsville, NJ, USA

Jun 262013

Fusion 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2012 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that the power steering warning light illuminated as the steering became very hard to turn. The vehicle was towed to a dealer where it was determined that the electronic power steering unit needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and the current mileage was 52,000.

- North Scituate, RI, USA

Jun 042013

Fusion 6-cyl

While turning a corner the "power steering failure" message appeared and power steering was lost. This has happened several times with no warning and is very unsafe. This condition warrants a recall from Ford as it is a common occurrence. Make a recall happen as this vehicle is unsafe at any speed!

- Sioux Falls, SD, USA

Jun 252013

Fusion 6-cyl

My first incident was driving out of a parking lot, the power steering message appeared with a strange beeping noise followed by an extremely difficult to move steering wheel. When I turned off my car and got it back on, the power steering was back to its normal levels. Later the next day, the car was in movement over 30mph while driving through the highway and the power steering message came on again making my car totally unresponsive causing me to almost crash. It was very difficult to get the car out of the high way in order to have the steering levels back by turn it off and back on again. Today I took my car to the Ford service complaining about this in order to get my car checked but the service manager indicated that there was nothing he could do about this incident for what suggested me to contact roadside assistance during the next incident and have them take in my car to there service to fix it at the moment. I mentioned that if that was to be done my car would obviously have to be turned off and on in the process causing the issue to momentarily disappear for what he would still not be able to witness the incident as he request, just like today. He refused to make any further comments indicating that was the best thing he could do.

- Toa Alta, PR, USA

Jun 132013

Fusion

Driving along doing around 35mph, power steering failure...dashboard read service advancetrac? took it to hall Ford, replacing steering gear...needs to be a recall for this.

- Williamsburg , VA, USA

Jun 052013

Fusion 4-cyl

Driving out of a parking lot steering without warning became extremely heavy and extremely difficult to steer almost resulting in a head on crash. "power steering assist failure" light came on. I turned the car off and back on again and the light went out. The steering returned to normal. I took the car to the livermore ca Ford dealer. They said they found the fault codes but could not verify anything was wrong or duplicate the event. So they said they wouldn't fix anything per Ford's instructions. I googled the issue and tons of complaints came up on exactly what happened to me. Many had the entire steering system replaced. Dealership ignored this when I sent it to them.

- San Ramon, CA, USA

Mar 302012

Fusion

Early part of the year (2013) the service advance trac light will come on and off I contacted the dealer and he stated that it was the stability in the vehicle and also it wasn't nothing to be alarmed about unless the light just come on and stay on. Finally it came on and wouldn't go off I took it to the dealership they said it would be $ 240 to repair the car and I had to wait until the parts come in by that time come to find out they was will to pay the $240. I picked the car up the same day which was the first day the car should have been repaired same problems took the car back on that Monday they so called fixed the vehicle it seem to be okay drove the car for approximately 8 days the same service advanctrac light came back on next service power steering light came on about 15 mins later the service power steering now light came on lost all power and control of the vehicle had the car towed backed to the dealership they check the car and quoted me a job for $ $2,658.12 which was not covered under a warranty.

- Adamsviile, AL, USA

Jun 072013

Fusion 6-cyl

The vehicle was parked and as I started to drive it was extremely hard to steer. The power steering assist fault warning appeared on the dash. I consulted the owner's guide which gave instructions to turn the motor off and back on after 10 seconds. When I turned the car back on, the warning was off and the steering issue was gone. However, I experienced the same problem (*with the dash warning) about 2 hours later when I tried to drive the car again.

- Desoto, TX, USA