Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: Power steering problems started rearing their ugly head in the 2010 Fusion, so you'd think Ford had plenty of time to make sure those problems didn't creep into the 2012. But here we are.

The Electronic Power Assist Steering (EPAS) is a mess. It fails at an alarming rate. Don’t believe us? Take a look at NHTSA’s data on the subject.

And much like the power steering, we’re still seeing the same throttle body failures that started in 2010 continue in 2012.

2012 Ford Fusion steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Ford Fusion:

2012 Ford Fusion Owner Comments (Page 3 of 23)

May 142016

My power steering assist fault came on while I was driving home last night. It caused me to mess up my front end. I didn't receive any information about a recall, but when I looked up my VIN, I found out it had a open case I need to know what to do next... please help

- Houston, TX, USA

Apr 112016

While driving on a city street the "advancetrac" came on and "power steering needs to be replaced" came on. I was night time I made it home. Once home I turned the car off and the "replace power steering now" I had lost all power steering. This is the second time this has happened the first time my son was driving on the highway. I took it to the mechanic the first time and they said it was nothing wrong I just needed new tires.

- Decatur, GA, USA

May 182015

Lost power steering while driving on a city street.

- Wilson, NC, USA

Mar 012016

The contact owns a 2012 Ford Fusion. While driving approximately 45 mph, the power steering suddenly malfunctioned and the steering wheel became very difficult to turn. The contact crashed the vehicle into a wooded area. During the crash, both the driver and front passenger sustained back injuries. The cause of the failure was not diagnosed or repaired. Medical attention was not required. The manufacturer was not notified. The VIN was invalid. The failure mileage was 104,000.

- Poplarville, MS, USA

Feb 072015

While driving to a family member birthday party less then 15 miles from our residence, we began pulling onto the road and that when it the display said service power steering now and it was hard to turn. As we turned on the the road while driving our 3 young children on the back with no power steering we almost got tboned. The car had only 69K on the mileage it had just passed the warranty repair limit. I thought it might have been a easy fix like most other vehicles they have a chain or belt but this is completely electrical. The part that really has made me upset and frustrated was when my sister in law a close friend with the same year make and model received notices that their cars were up for a recall for the power steering. So I called my local dealer and asked if they could check on if my car was up for recall since my car actually had the power steering go out on it. The dealership responded with a "no, because my car was not on the designated list of a certain time, place and date it was manufactured to be applicable for the recall". it makes no sense that if they are recalling some with the power steering issues why not all, especially the one that are actually have real issues and are a possible threat to the safety of ones family.

- Flowery Branch, GA, USA

Apr 012016

I noticed a knock whenever I turned the wheel while driving down the road or while parked. The steering became increasingly harder as the days passed. The cars warranty had expired so I took it into Goodyear to see what the problem was. They told me the rack and pinion needed to be replaced. The Fusion had only 59,000 miles on it. The mechanic that worked on my car told me he previously worked for Ford and that this was a common problem.

- Mesa, AZ, USA

Apr 022016

On April 2 2016 I drove to our local walmart in oceanside California. After shopping I started my 2012 Ford Fusion and the power assisted steering had failed and I couldnt drive the car. Had it towed to North county Ford where they told me that there was a recall on this problem but not on this car due to its production date of March 6th 2012.the recall was for 2012 Ford Fusion produced before febuaruy 28th 2012. Because my vehicle was produced 6 days after the recall it was not covered thus I was responsible to pay the $1658 repair bill. I contacted Ford Motor Company and they said they couldn't help me due to the production date. I believe the recall needs to be widened to cover all Ford products that have this issue. While this problem did'nt happen while the car was in motion it still seems to me to be a big safety concern as it could have been.

- Bonsall, CA, USA

Apr 112016

Mu 2012 Ford Fusion lost power to the steering on the highway so when I pulled the steering wheel hard so I can get to the side of the highway when I finally got to to the side of the highway I turned the car off and turned it back on the steering wheel will not move and a message on the dashboard appears and say service "power steering know" so I had to call a tow truck and when it got to the dealership they said it is a problem with electronic steering rack and pinion faulty and it would cost me 1,500 dollers to get it fix so I started researching on the NHTSA website and found out it was a recall but my car was not affected and I don't know how cause its alot of people with this same problem with their 2012 Ford Fusion.

- Decatur, GA, USA

Apr 112016

The contact owns a 2012 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that while driving, the vehicle lots power steering without warning. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the power steering control module failed and steering gear needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The contact referenced NHTSA campaign number: 15V340000 (steering). The failure mileage was 90,069.

- Summerville, SC, USA

Apr 052016

Shortly after starting my vehicle, the power steering fails and the alarms sound leaving my vehicle unable to perform safely. This happens randomly and without notice. There are no known contributing factors. I've contacted my dealership and they've stated that my vehicle isn't covered under the recall and to repair the issue could cost up to $1,600

- Montverde, FL, USA

Apr 012016

I had a service advanctrac light on my dash and then a power steering failure light activate on the dash as I was driving down the road at approx. 40mph. I was able to get the vehicle home safely. Arrived home and went online and found a recall for this problem on the 2012 Fusion. I took to Ford and they want me to pay $1600 to replace what they call a rack and pinion issue.

- Louisville, KY, USA

Apr 052016

Every time I turn my car on the steering wheel is very stiff and with light notification saying " power steering assist failed"... my car has power steering fluid in it. I have to turn my car off and wait about 20 mins to try to start it again.

- Sweetwater, TX, USA

Apr 012016

I replaced a flat tire on my vehicle no problems before hand. Once I put the spare on and proceeded to drive my steering was hard to control. I managed to get the vehicle home. I immediately changed the tire and assumed that the lights will be gone. I have a message for service power steering, advance trac. I took it to Ford dealership they said they didn't have a recall. I looked and research and found that there is one but my VIN wasn't under it.

- Augusta, GA, USA

Apr 012016

Driving at 60 mph I could hear friction worsens and car would lose momentum easily because of the friction. Then I start to hear a knocking sound somewhere in the engine perhaps or the wheel unsure and as all that worsens, I can feel the car losing control like it's gotten a flat tire. Power steering got stiffer while the car kind of drifted left and then right as tho I was going to lose control of the vehicle. It was really scary so I immediately slowed down because I had no control on the steering.

- Portland, OR, USA

Mar 252016

The contact owns a 2012 Ford Fusion. While driving approximately 50 mph, the power steering warning light illuminated. Shortly afterwards, the power steering failed. The contact parked the vehicle and examined the power steering fluid, which was still present in the vehicle. The contact took the vehicle to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the power steering failed and the power steering system needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer stated that the repair was no longer covered under the warranty. The VIN was unknown. The approximate failure mileage was 180,000.

- Cape May Court House, NJ, USA

Mar 242016

The contact owns a 2012 Ford Fusion. While turning in a parking area, the power steering failed and the steering wheel was extremely tight. The contact had to apply force to the steering wheel to get it to turn. The contact restarted the vehicle and the condition continued. The VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 15V340000 (steering). The vehicle was to be taken to an authorized dealer for further inspection. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was not available.

- Cooper, TX, USA

Jan 282016

The contact owns a 2012 Ford Fusion. When the contact started the vehicle, the power steering assist warning light illuminated. It was difficult for the contact to steer the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the electrical power steering module failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 12,430. Updated 05/18/16

- Haupague, NY, USA

Mar 042016

The contact owns a 2012 Ford Fusion. While driving approximately 25 mph, the vehicle vibrated uncontrollably. The contact continued to drive and the steering ability seized. The service power steering now warning indicator illuminated. The vehicle was driven to the contact's home and then towed to the dealer. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The VIN was included in NHTSA campaign number: 15V340000 (steering). The approximate failure mileage was 64,000.

- Queens, NY, USA

Mar 072016

The contact owns a 2012 Ford Fusion. While driving approximately 5 mph, the steering column seized without warning. Moments later, the vehicle resumed normal operation. The vehicle was previously serviced under NHTSA campaign number: 15V340000 (steering); however, the remedy was insufficient and the failure recurred. The vehicle was not repaired a second time. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 47,000.

- Basile, LA, USA

Feb 122016

When starting the car, I will get a power steering assist fault warning. The power steering will not work. I turn the car off and on to try to clear the error and reset the power steering. This normally works. Sometimes it takes multiple tries to clear and function normally. I am worried that this error will occur while I am driving and cause an accident. I am also concerned that my vehicle is not included in the recall of Ford vehicles with the same issue. This issue has occurred 6 times in the past week.

- Chesapeake, VA, USA