CarComplaints.com Notes: Power steering problems started rearing their ugly head in the 2010 Fusion, so you'd think Ford had plenty of time to make sure those problems didn't creep into the 2012. But here we are.

The Electronic Power Assist Steering (EPAS) is a mess. It fails at an alarming rate. Don’t believe us? Take a look at NHTSA’s data on the subject.

And much like the power steering, we’re still seeing the same throttle body failures that started in 2010 continue in 2012.

2012 Ford Fusion steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Ford Fusion:

2012 Ford Fusion Owner Comments (Page 5 of 24)

Feb 112016

Fusion

My name is marcos orbegoso, I have a Ford Fusion 2012, I am the owner from this car, but my brother in law is the principal ( wagner alvarez ). im spending too much money about this car and Ford always has a excuse so that they dont want to cover the warranty. My problem always is the same ( power steering get hard and my engine flashing it needs to be check),I dont have money to resolve every two month when my car is not working. The last problem was two days ago, the same problem, they told me I had to make alignment that why my steering power steering got hard, I went to store repair ( Firestone to fix ), when I went back to Ford, they was telling different excuse about my steering power. My last problem with my car I was recording all conversation, but they didn't notice it, in this conversation is included the manager carlos becerra, his secretary lidia radford, mechanics, telling that's why my car is not working. I recorded everything. This is the fourth time that my car has the same problem. Now I asked lidia radford, why my engine is flashing ? she told, before to see what happens with my car, I had to pay $79 if I want to know about it. My car has 97000 miles, my car still has warranty. I hope you can help with my case, because I dont know what to do to fix my car. I cant drive my car now. I dont speak english so much, but my brother in law, he can speaks better. I have all documents and history showing how many times my car had problems and I also I had the audios the last conversation with them!. I bought my car here : 1350 E yorba linda blvd, placentia, ca 92870 wagner alvarez 4818 liverpool St yorba linda ca - 92886 telefono : 714-5616068 email : ossianalvarez@hotmail.com

- Yorba Linda, CA, USA

Feb 082016

Fusion

"Ford recall" my Ford fushion steering switched to automatic without warning. This caused my vehicle to be difficult at time almost impossible to steer. My vehicle was fine when I parked it after work one evening, when I left to go to work the next day I couldn't steer it. When I took it back to the Ford dealership they confirmed that it was indeed the same issue mentioned in the recall.

- Forest City, NC, USA

Feb 092016

Fusion

Turned my car on and an alert came across the screen of my dash. Power steering malfunction. The driver's airbag light was also on at this time.

- Peoria, AZ, USA

Dec 292015

Fusion

The contact owns a 2012 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that while attempting to turn left or right at 30 mph, an abnormal noise was heard coming from the steering column without warning. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the power steering control module had failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 15V340000 (steering). The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 78,000.

- Westminster, CO, USA

Jan 222016

Fusion

The contact owns a 2012 Ford Fusion. While driving approximately 40 mph, the power steering assist warning light suddenly illuminated and the steering wheel became very difficult to turn. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the power steering assist was faulty and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 67,000.

- Hastings, MI, USA

Jan 022016

Fusion

I was in motion on 83-S driving 55mph. All at once, all of the dashboard lights illuminated and I was unable to steer my car like I am able to normally. As a result, I crashed into the cement barrier on the side of the highway. Due to this crash my car has been declared a total loss.

- Baltimore, MD, USA

Jan 152016

Fusion

Power steering assist went out and blew fuse #42 upon ignition start up. Also activated warning lights service advancetrac. ABS, traction control and brake lights constantly on. Same problems under NHTSA campaign # 15V340000 recall, but when I took to dealership they said my VIN missed by one month. It will cost $2000 to repair. Looked on internet and may same complaints with same VIN # sequence. Mileage was around 60,000. Also called Ford to complain cas-8612152. New fuse and system reset only solves problem for small amount of time. Second time, I was stationary at a stop sign. Thankful that I wasn't driving at the time. Parked the vehicle in garage at that time.

- Centerville, MN, USA

Dec 282015

Fusion

The contact owns a 2012 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that while driving approximately at 68 mph, the power steering failed without warning. The vehicle was restarted and the vehicle resumed to normal. The contact mentioned that the service power steering and the service advance trac warning lights illuminated. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 85,550. The VIN was not available.

- Tampa, FL, USA

Jan 052016

Fusion

The contact owns a 2012 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that the power steering failed and caused the steering wheel to become extremely tight. The contact had to apply force to the steering wheel and the service power steering now warning light flashed. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 15V340000 (steering). The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 62,000.

- Henderson, NC, USA

Jan 032016

Fusion

The contact owns a 2012 Ford Fusion. While driving 70 mph, the service power steering and service advanced trac warning lights illuminated, and the power steering seized. The vehicle was taken to the dealer to be diagnosed and repaired. The vehicle was repaired under NHTSA campaign number: 15V340000 (steering); however, the failure recurred. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 92,177.

- Oklahoma City, OK, USA

Sep 012015

Fusion

Turning the steering wheel makes a loud grating noise whether the car is sitting still or in motion. We took the car to the dealer for the problem. After checking the car, the mechanic said the rack and pinion is defective. When we contacted the Ford Motor Company in September 2015, I explained the problem and inquired about a recall. The man said some 2012 Fusion had been recalled for the steering, but this VIN was not. The warranty ended in August 2015, the problem appeared the first week of September 2015.

- New Marshfield, OH, USA

Jan 012016

Fusion

Pulling out of driveway...noticed the steering was not feeling right. Turn left, turn right both way is a heavy "clicking" feel. Took to Ford Fusion 2012 to dealer, they said the steering gearbox was bad.....they are waiting to fix it if extended warranty pays for it. This should be a Ford recall, fixed for free. It is clearly a defect in the product. My Fusion doesn't even have 20K miles on it yet.

- North Richland Hills, TX, USA

Dec 032015

Fusion

Complete power steering failure on a car with 20000 miles. Car was stationary when I turned it on the the warning came on. I could not drive

- Towson, MD, USA

Dec 082015

Fusion

I purchase this car used with 15000 km on, issue occurred at 73000km. Ford Fusion 2012 sel AWD I was driving to work and the steering locked up, it was extremely hard to steer. I drove it directly to the dealership. Benton fry Ford belleville, on they inspected it and indicated that the controls arms needed to replaced. I told them to go head the approx.. cost was $1000. However it is still possible that I would need to replace the power steering rack which would cost $2200. The resolution was that they would replace the controls arms and not do the alignment, to see if the power steering would go again within a week. I drove it for a week and found nothing wrong with it. So I drop it off for the alignment to be completed. At the dealer ship the mechanic test drove it and found that the power steering rack need to replace. I was advised that my car was out of warranty as of June 13, 2015. The service advisor offer to investigate further to see if there was anything they could do on their end. They were not able to help it was so they directed to Ford customer service who then escalated the issue to Ford regional management, who in turn offered to over 55% of the $2200 as a final offer. Who treated me like I should be soooo grate for this. This issue has been recalled on May 27, 2015 by Ford in 2011 to 2013 Fusion. Since Ford stated this car is not part of their recall, they deflect their responsibility of selling me a defective product. The issue occurred just like the recall, but because Ford will not recognize this issue, I am stuck paying for their defective product, as they conceal the fact this is a unknown issue and they should be held responsible for this defect. I hope this helps other people because there is a lot of Fusion on the road and the very fact that they steering can go at any given time is a very scary thought

- Trenton, OH, USA

Dec 252015

Fusion

The contact owns a 2012 Ford Fusion. The contact started the vehicle and experienced a loss of power steering without warning. The vehicle was repaired according to NHTSA campaign number: 15V340000 (steering); however, the failure recurred after the repair was performed. The contact mentioned that the remedy was insufficient. The vehicle was towed to the dealer. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 97,000.

- Lagrange, GA, USA

Dec 272015

Fusion

The contact owns a 2012 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that while driving various speeds, the steering wheel became extremely difficult to maneuver without warning. The VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 15V3400000 (steering). The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 78,000. The VIN was not available.

- Knoxville, TN, USA

Oct 202015

Fusion

The contact owns a 2012 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that while driving approximately 50 mph, the traction control and power steering warning indicators illuminated. The failure recurred twice. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the steering gear needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure and the VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 15V340000 (steering). The failure mileage was 65,000. The VIN was not available. Updated 02/10/16

- Romulus, MI, USA

Sep 052015

Fusion

The contact owns a 2012 Ford Fusion. While driving at an unknown speed, the power steering failed and two warning lights illuminated. The contact had to restart the vehicle to loosen the steering wheel. The failure recurred five times. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the ball joints and tie rod needed to be repaired. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 15V340000 (steering). The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 21,000.

- Cleveland, OH, USA

Nov 242015

Fusion

The contact owns a 2012 Ford Fusion. While driving 10 mph, the steering wheel seized and the check power steering fluid light illuminated. The failure occurred twice. The vehicle was towed to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the power steering control module failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired, but the failure recurred. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 70,000.

- Monroe, LA, USA

Nov 242015

Fusion

2012 Fusion and we have already changed the rotors... && multiple tires... always getting the tire pressure symbol && now there is an eletrical problem for the power steering... many of the fuses are missing from where the manual said they should be... may have to pay thousands to get it fixed && still its just a 2012... id expect something like this on a car thats 7-10 years old but not 3...

- Virginia Beach, VA, USA