Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: Power steering problems started rearing their ugly head in the 2010 Fusion, so you'd think Ford had plenty of time to make sure those problems didn't creep into the 2012. But here we are.

The Electronic Power Assist Steering (EPAS) is a mess. It fails at an alarming rate. Don’t believe us? Take a look at NHTSA’s data on the subject.

And much like the power steering, we’re still seeing the same throttle body failures that started in 2010 continue in 2012.

2012 Ford Fusion steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Ford Fusion:

2012 Ford Fusion Owner Comments (Page 5 of 23)

Nov 242015

The contact owns a 2012 Ford Fusion. While driving 10 mph, the steering wheel seized and the check power steering fluid light illuminated. The failure occurred twice. The vehicle was towed to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the power steering control module failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired, but the failure recurred. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 70,000.

- Monroe, LA, USA

Nov 242015

2012 Fusion and we have already changed the rotors... && multiple tires... always getting the tire pressure symbol && now there is an eletrical problem for the power steering... many of the fuses are missing from where the manual said they should be... may have to pay thousands to get it fixed && still its just a 2012... id expect something like this on a car thats 7-10 years old but not 3...

- Virginia Beach, VA, USA

Oct 152015

The contact owns a 2012 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that while driving at 30 mph, the power steering assist warning light illuminated. The steering wheel became difficult to turn. The vehicle was towed to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the steering gear might need to be replaced and the code needed to be cleared. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 67,000.

- Valley Mills, TX, USA

Jul 162015

Sticky, notchy steering accompanied with loud grinding sounds. This started for no reason. The dealership told me the car has a bad steering rack and is unsafe to drive. No error code is showing, so Ford is not replacing the part.

- Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Nov 072015

The contact owns a 2012 Ford Fusion. While driving 60 mph, the power steering warning light illuminated and the steering wheel became difficult to maneuver. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 15V340000 (steering). The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 100,071.....updated 03-31-16

- Arlington, TX, USA

Oct 102015

Develop a clunking noise in steering system at 82000 miles. Took the car to a ase mechanic in my town and it was diagnosed as a failed epas (power steering rack.) the bill for this is going to be between 1400-1600! I have read elsewhere online of Ford recalling the Fusion for trouble codes in the same steering rack for failed sensors and loss of power assist suddenly making the car difficult to steer and risking a crash as a result. My concern is complete mechanical failure due to the clunking like something is either broken or about to break. This would result in complete loss of control of vehicle and a possible crash. I realize things break out of warranty but this is a safety issue first and foremost. My daughter drives the car and my concern is for her safety. If there is no recall issued I will be forced to repair or trade the car and lose what little equity I had in the car because of its repair bill. The car has been well maintained. This is not an abuse issue. My opinion is that this a faulty part. When I took it to my local Ford dealer, I was told there were no recalls on the car and I would have to pay the bill out of pocket.

- Dublin, GA, USA

Nov 052015

I was driving straight and in the middle of acceleration when my 2012 Fusion sel began to make notification sounds. I read two notifications. The first one included a warning light for "service advancetrac". the second notification read "service power steering now". I continued to drive northbound to the highway. Upon turning and breaking to board the freeway, I realized the steering wheel was extremely tight. It was nearly impossible for me to steer my car towards the freeway with several other cars driving at speeds between 35-50 mph behind us. I had to use both arms and body weight to turn right to get on the freeway. I was afraid to continue on the highway as I had not experienced this before and my two daughters were in the backseat. I went to a dealership to diagnose the issue. I was told the steering gear would need to be replaced. I researched this issue. There are recalls on Fusion made between 2011-2013 for this exact issue. However, my vehicle is not included in the Ford recalls. This is a safety issue for myself and others, especially when I am on the highway often. Ford Motor Co. Has told me three times that my car wasn't included in the recalls, it was not made in the same factory as those recalled, and it was made months after the recall. The cars included in the recall were made in February 2012 while my car was made in June 2012. This is a horrible way to handle consumers. Safety of consumers does not appear relevant to Ford Motor Company. There needs to be a recall for thousands more 2012 Ford Fusion... this should be a safety concern for everyone.

- Shreveport, LA, USA

Jul 092014

Transmission slams into gear from first to second, then second to third occasionally. I've had 3 brake calipers seize and 3 rotors replaced as a result. Brake wear is beyond pathetic. Rear turning signal/brake light bulb got so hot that it melted my actual taillight. Paint flakes off fenders from just washing with a brand new sponge.

- Warrenton, VA, USA

Nov 142015

Driving about 45 mph and the steering began to feel "catchy". a couple of minutes later the service power steering light came on and alternated with the service accutrac.

- Houma, LA, USA

Nov 062015

The contact owns a 2012 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that while at driving 50 mph, the power steering warning light illuminated. The contact mentioned that the vehicle was parked and restarted but the steering wheel became difficult to maneuver. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the lower control needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The VIN was not included in the NHTSA campaign number: 15V340000 (steering). The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 74,600.

- Riddleton, TN, USA

Oct 312015

Saturday, Oct 31st, the low tire pressure was indicated and verified the right-front tire was low when the car was started. I drove the car 3000 feet about 25 mph and service advancetrac and power steering assist fault displayed. Brought the car to the dealership and they claim the tires need replacing. Excluding the low pressure in one tire, there should have not been a failure and the tires are not bald.

- Oakland Park, FL, USA

Oct 252015

The contact owns a 2012 Ford Fusion. While driving 20 mph, the steering wheel seized and an unknown warning light illuminated. The contact stated that the steering wheel required excessive force in order to steer the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the electric power steering assist system failed. The vehicle was repaired; however, the failure recurred. The vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 15V340000 (steering). The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 45,300.

- Alton, TX, USA

Oct 252015

I live in alton, Texas this is the second time I have this incident. 1. time it happened the steering wheel was hard to move at first then was impossible to move. I was on the road close to home and I was able to park halfway in the driveway. Car was taken to dealer and was "fixed". 2. time it happened I was at the parking lot barely going to avenue I decreased speed and was able to get home light went on steering wheel was slightly hard to move

- Alton, TX, USA

Sep 052015

On September 5, 2015 I was on my way to a funeral traveling on 695 in owings mills Maryland and experienced the lost control of my vehicle. While trying to steer back the steering wheel did absolutely nothing and also the trying to shift into gear was always a major problem. The gear shift would stick or sometimes hard to put back in place. From this my car was totalled.

- Gwynn Oak, MD, USA

Sep 082015

While turning into a parking space the steering started making loud noises and was difficult to steer (had no power steering). I took it to a Ford dealer in my town. I explained what it was doing and he ordered a part for it without even looking at the car. He said the part alone would be approx. $1200. He said it was a power steering rack. He also said other 2012 Ford were on a recall for that problem but mine was not one of the recalls. I called that dealership the next day and cancelled the order. How could they know without looking at my vehicle? I then took my car to another Ford dealer in the town where I work (approx. 20 miles from my town). They also said it was the power steering rack (they did examine the car) but they said the part was on back order. They also said the part alone was $1200 and the total bill would be approx. $1550. It took 2 weeks to bet the part in. Meanwhile I had to continue to drive my vehicle with no power steering because they had no loaner cars to give me. They also said my car was not on the recall list even though it had the same problem as those that were recalled!! I bought this vehicle in Aug 2013 and it had 28,000 miles. Now 2 years later and the mileage @ 45,000 I have a bill for for $1550. I truly do not understand why Ford has not included more vehicles in the power steering rack recall since it appears that many many more vehicles have been affected. I would like to know why certain ones are recalled and others are not. I agree with one of the other earlier complaints when they talked about a class action suit for this problem.

- Defiance, OH, USA

Oct 192015

I was driving my 2012 Ford Fusion home from work and was stopped at a stop light. When I resumed driving when the light turned green, my power steering suddenly malfunctioned while driving and I was no longer able to turn the vehicle causing me to crash into a pole. There was no warning, just total power steering failure while driving. It is extremely dangerous, and Ford has recalled half a million vehicles for the same issue, but for some reason my model wasn't included. It makes driving terrifying.

- Nanticoke, PA, USA

Oct 022013

2012 Ford Fusion. Attorney representing consumer writes in regards to vehicle defect associated with recall notice. The driver of the vehicle was involved in a single car accident. Consequently, the driver was burned to death. The lawyer on behalf of the driver, believed the accident was due to a defect associated with the vehicle that was recalled. The lawyer referenced recall # 15V340........updated 12/29/15

- Huntsville, AL, USA

Oct 102015

My steering wheel power is flashing in my dash board and it is hard to turn my wheel. I was putting air in my tire and when I started the car back up the power steering appeared and I wasnt able to turn the wheel.

- Hampton, VA, USA

Oct 032015

Power steering failed suddenly while my daughter was driving on roadway. Almost involved in crash due to inability to steer!

- Columbus, OH, USA

Sep 252015

Lose of power steering when driving it came up as power steering assist fault. Same thing happened to Ford Fusion 2012 that went to Feb, and was recalled. My vehicle should be on recall also before an accident or death occurs.

- Sun Prairie, WI, USA