CarComplaints.com Notes: Power steering problems started rearing their ugly head in the 2010 Fusion, so you'd think Ford had plenty of time to make sure those problems didn't creep into the 2012. But here we are.

The Electronic Power Assist Steering (EPAS) is a mess. It fails at an alarming rate. Don’t believe us? Take a look at NHTSA’s data on the subject.

And much like the power steering, we’re still seeing the same throttle body failures that started in 2010 continue in 2012.

2012 Ford Fusion steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Ford Fusion:

2012 Ford Fusion Owner Comments (Page 8 of 24)

Jul 082015

Fusion

I experienced complete power steering failure while vehicle in motion approaching curve in road. This was a very scary incident ! nearly crashed head on with a motorcycle. Still next day, no power steering. Car has only a little over 10,000 miles and its three years old. I am afraid to drive this car fearing serious accident potential. When contacting local Ford dealership to inquire about a possible recall issue, they deny any knowledge of steering problems with the Ford Fusion.

- Columbus, MI, USA

May 292015

Fusion

The contact owns a 2012 Ford Fusion. While making a left turn at 35 mph, the steering wheel seized. The power steering default was displayed across the message board. The vehicle was taken to a dealer. The contact was unsure about what part needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The VIN was included in NHTSA campaign number: 15V340000 ( steering). The failure mileage was unknown. The VIN was unavailable.

- Inglewood, CO, USA

Jul 082015

Fusion

As I was making a right hand turn the steering locked. I stopped in the middle of the road and couldn't steer the car. Came very close to getting hit by oncoming cars. Eventually was able to maneuver to the side of the road. The advancetrac warning was on and power steering. After I turned off the engine it went away and got back to normal. This is the second time it happened though. Today I stopped at metro Ford in raynham MA and asked if they knew about this problem. The only answer was that I should make an appointment. Now looking online I see this has been a problem for several model years. Is there any word from Ford?

- Taunton, MA, USA

Jul 062015

Fusion

In the middle of a left turn, in heavy traffic, my car suddenly lost power steering. The power steering remained inoperable to my destination.

- Norfolk, VA, USA

Jul 012015

Fusion

The contact owns a 2012 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that while driving approximately 70 mph, the vehicle became difficult to maneuver without warning. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 35,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Jun 222015

Fusion

While driving car warning indicator on cluster flashed "service advance track now, but car continued to drive fine. Parked car at store and upon return and starting of car pulled out of parking lot and had no power steering almost impossible to steer car at this point, then warning on dash displayed "service power steering now", and "service advanced trak now". was able to get car to dealer, but as of today 7/2/2015 the dealer has not been able to fix it. And has stated over the last week and a half that parts have been ordered and may be in any day, but can not provide a time frame for the parts or the fix.

- Austin, TX, USA

Feb 102015

Fusion

The contact owns a 2012 Ford Fusion. While driving at 20 mph, the steering wheel became difficult to turn. The contact had to apply force to the steering wheel in order to steer the vehicle. The service power steering was displayed across the message board. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the pinion rack needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 70,000. Updated 09/25/15

- Michigan City , IN, USA

Jun 302015

Fusion

The contact owns a 2012 Ford Fusion. The vehicle was included in NHTSA campaign number: 15V340000 (steering), but the contact had not received a recall notification from the manufacturer. The contact stated that the power steering warning lamp illuminated and the steering wheel was extremely difficult to turn left and right. The contact had to apply force to turn the steering wheel. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 96,000.

- Sanford, NC, USA

Apr 272015

Fusion

The contact owns a 2012 Ford Fusion. The contact received a recall notice for the steering; however, the part to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was not made aware of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure. The NHTSA campaign number was unknown.

- Waldorf, MD, USA

Jun 242015

Fusion

Was driving home and came to a stop and the peer steering went out. It came difficult to steer there was a child in the vehicle didn't even feel safe with child in the car had some pick the child up.

- Birmingham , AL, USA

Feb 022015

Fusion

I had been noticing some irregular noises coming from the front suspension of my 2012 Ford Fusion, this is my wife's primary vehicle so I was concerned about her and the kids safety. I took the car to my local mechanic thinking it just needed alignment or a possible tie rod issue....unfortunately that was not the case. My mechanic explained and showed the problem to me ( I myself do mechanic work so he always shows me what he found). It seems the entire rack and pinion assembly was needing to be replaced, and in addition the movement of the said faulty rack had caused wear in the outer drive shaft and lower control arms. Total cost to repair, $2,245! this is a crime!!! the car is three years old, and moderate mileage. Again, I have pretty good mechanical knowledge, in 30 years I have never seen or heard of a rack and pinion assembly failing in such a short period of time, heck brake pads last longer than that! Ford needs to step up and fix this problem as I have found thousands of Fusion owners have had the same problem. I would even consider paying the labor costs if they provided the needed parts...do something Ford, lives are at stake!

- Lumberton , TX, USA

Jun 162015

Fusion

The contact owns a 2012 Ford Fusion. When shifting into reverse or drive, the steering wheel seized. The failure occurred intermittently. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 35,000.

- Dearborn, MI, USA

Jun 212015

Fusion

While driving the vehicle on the evening of 06/20/2015 the power steering slowly started to go out, then after turning off the car and restarting all together I received the notifications "service advancetrac" and "service power steering now" after searching online to no avail, I had to wait until Monday morning to take the car to a local Ford dealership. I waited 2 1/2 hours for a diagnostic to be ran on my car to be told the steering gear was broken and it would be roughly a $1500 fix on top of what I paid for the diagnostic although a recall is currently pending for this exact issue along with the cars internal cpu. When the cars internal cpu was reset this wiped the error codes letting the power steering resume, but this is only a temporary fix as the cpu could notice again at any time that the steering gear is broken. Ford is currently "reviewing" to see if they will pay for these damages as there currently is a pending recall for this issue, but I have yet to hear back.

- Kansas City, MO, USA

Jun 202015

Fusion

When the car was turned on it was showing warning notifications stating "service advancetrac" and "service power steering now" we tried turning the car off and on again, driving it to see if it corrected itself, airing up the tires. Nothing has been able to clear this error.

- Kansas City, MO, USA

Jun 152015

Fusion

Received a power steering assist fault in the electronic power assisted steering (epas) system losing all steering ability and creating a dangerous situation, researched VIN for Ford recall on issue and was frustrated that manufacture of the vehicle, although at the same facility, was 6 months after Ford VIN range of vehicles placed on the recall list. Ford will not provide cost relief for expected repair cost of $1,600

- Hopedale, MA, USA

Jun 022015

Fusion

On 6/4/15 turned a corner and lost my power steering. I parked the car and turned off the engine to attend to business at my destination. When I returned and started the car, everything returned to normal. On 6/6/2015, the car and steering worked properly the entire day and for a long drive. When I got in the car to drive across the street, the power steering was gone and never returned. The rack and pinion was replace on 6/15/15. I am very displeased that something like this happens and there is no warranty. This is a dangerous issue for a vehicle that is only 3 years old, with low miles. I purchased the vehicle, which was a lease, six months ago.

- Marion, IA, USA

Nov 122014

Fusion

While driving down the interstate at a speed of 70 mph the car lost all power steering.

- Woodbury, TN, USA

Jun 072015

Fusion

It's actually been occurring for a couple months now, but with much greater frequency lately. For example, today, on three separate occasions, I started my car, and some error message about a power steering fault or failure showed up and the power steering went out, and I could hardly move the steering wheel. Each time, I turned the car off and started it again which "fixed" it, not really. The 2nd time this occurred today, I had to shut off and restart the car twice before the power steering would return. There is no excuse for this. In addition, it really pisses me off because I know, if I take it to a Ford dealership, they will try to screw me, make me pay some ridiculous amount of money to remedy their incompetence. It's total garbage.

- Hillsboro, OH, USA

Sep 032014

Fusion

In September of 2014 the power steering went out in my 2012 Ford Fusion. I bought this car new in 2012. Ford agreed to pay half of the cost last year and I paid the remaining $779.58. Yesterday, June 6,2015 the power steering went out again! this needs to be addressed as a safety issue! Ford needs to recall all of these vehicles and fix what should have been fixed when the problem began!

- South Point, OH, USA

Apr 162015

Fusion

Driving on a local road, and all of a sudden the power steering gets really hard to handle. Pulled over to side of road, fear of what could happen if I kept going. This happened again regarding the steering. We called our local Ford dealership to report this problem. They said my car is not covered by the recall, yet I saw on abc news there are recalls regarding the Ford Fusion? can you please help me or keep me informed on information you find regarding the Ford Fusion.

- Yatesville, PA, USA