CarComplaints.com Notes: Power steering problems started rearing their ugly head in the 2010 Fusion, so you'd think Ford had plenty of time to make sure those problems didn't creep into the 2012. But here we are.

The Electronic Power Assist Steering (EPAS) is a mess. It fails at an alarming rate. Don’t believe us? Take a look at NHTSA’s data on the subject.

And much like the power steering, we’re still seeing the same throttle body failures that started in 2010 continue in 2012.

2012 Ford Fusion steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Ford Fusion:

2012 Ford Fusion Owner Comments (Page 9 of 25)

Jun 152015

Fusion

Received a power steering assist fault in the electronic power assisted steering (epas) system losing all steering ability and creating a dangerous situation, researched VIN for Ford recall on issue and was frustrated that manufacture of the vehicle, although at the same facility, was 6 months after Ford VIN range of vehicles placed on the recall list. Ford will not provide cost relief for expected repair cost of $1,600

- Hopedale, MA, USA

Jun 022015

Fusion

On 6/4/15 turned a corner and lost my power steering. I parked the car and turned off the engine to attend to business at my destination. When I returned and started the car, everything returned to normal. On 6/6/2015, the car and steering worked properly the entire day and for a long drive. When I got in the car to drive across the street, the power steering was gone and never returned. The rack and pinion was replace on 6/15/15. I am very displeased that something like this happens and there is no warranty. This is a dangerous issue for a vehicle that is only 3 years old, with low miles. I purchased the vehicle, which was a lease, six months ago.

- Marion, IA, USA

Nov 122014

Fusion

While driving down the interstate at a speed of 70 mph the car lost all power steering.

- Woodbury, TN, USA

Jun 072015

Fusion

It's actually been occurring for a couple months now, but with much greater frequency lately. For example, today, on three separate occasions, I started my car, and some error message about a power steering fault or failure showed up and the power steering went out, and I could hardly move the steering wheel. Each time, I turned the car off and started it again which "fixed" it, not really. The 2nd time this occurred today, I had to shut off and restart the car twice before the power steering would return. There is no excuse for this. In addition, it really pisses me off because I know, if I take it to a Ford dealership, they will try to screw me, make me pay some ridiculous amount of money to remedy their incompetence. It's total garbage.

- Hillsboro, OH, USA

Sep 032014

Fusion

In September of 2014 the power steering went out in my 2012 Ford Fusion. I bought this car new in 2012. Ford agreed to pay half of the cost last year and I paid the remaining $779.58. Yesterday, June 6,2015 the power steering went out again! this needs to be addressed as a safety issue! Ford needs to recall all of these vehicles and fix what should have been fixed when the problem began!

- South Point, OH, USA

Apr 162015

Fusion

Driving on a local road, and all of a sudden the power steering gets really hard to handle. Pulled over to side of road, fear of what could happen if I kept going. This happened again regarding the steering. We called our local Ford dealership to report this problem. They said my car is not covered by the recall, yet I saw on abc news there are recalls regarding the Ford Fusion? can you please help me or keep me informed on information you find regarding the Ford Fusion.

- Yatesville, PA, USA

Apr 262014

Fusion

My car lost power pulling into a parking garage when I went on a road trip to springfield mass, the first time on 4/26/2015 it said it was shouting down that the ABS does this to protect it from over heating and then it would not let me steer, I then took it when I got back to Ford and they could not find any thing wrong with it, the next time it lost power was turning a corner in a parking lot on 5/21/2015 at the rite aid parking lot in rehoboth beach de it said on the screen power steering fault

- Rehoboth Beach , DE, USA

May 222015

Fusion

This is the second instance of my power steering going out. The first was while I was driving. I turned the car off and restarted and that issue went away the second was when I was pulling out of my garage. The power steering goes out and the following errors show on my dash. Power steering assist fault service advancetrac I have tried to restart the car but the issue still persists.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Fusion

I was driving on a highway going about 45mph then the stability control system icon turned on on my dash. I started to slow down and noticed that it took a lot more effort to steer the car. I started to slow to pull over to the side of the road and turning the steering wheel became almost impossible. There were cars behind me that had to come to and unexpected slow as I tried to get off of the road. I was able to pull over onto the side of the road in someones yard and turned the car off. During this time the messages "power steering assist fault" and "service advancetrac" were displaying on my dash. I turned the car off and back on and the same messages would show. I turned the car back off and call aaa to have my car towed on a flatbed to my local Ford dealer, athens Ford. They told me that my rack and pinion needed to be replaced and the wheels realinned. I asked how this happened and johnathan told me that the electrical component was defective and that there was no was for me to prevent it. The cost of the repair was estimated at $1800 and I had to get a rental for 2 days.

- Athens , GA, USA

Fusion

While returning home through neighborhood, the power steering failed and the warning light "service power steering now" and "service advancetrac" came on. No other advance notice and car has received all scheduled maintenance and inspections since purchased new. The car was unresponsive for tight maneuvering (e.g. turns in subdivision). Since speed was low in the neighborhood, the car could be stopped and accident avoided. Car was towed to Ford dealer.

- Spring, TX, USA

Fusion

While driving, the power steering went out and the advancetrack and steering lights came on. After towing to dealer, dealer claims the electronic power steering rack needs to be replaced.

- Elgin, IL, USA

May 042015

Fusion

Gear in steering column causing difficulty in steering at low speeds.

- Macomb, MI, USA

May 182015

Fusion

When I put the car into reverse to take my son to school a warning "power steering assist fault" was displayed on the dash. I shut the car off, turned it back on and the warning went away. I took my son to school in the car and when I returned home did some research. I found this site and saw the numerous issues others are having with the car, and don't feel safe to drive it.

- New Hartford, NY, USA

Apr 102015

Fusion

As I was driving home with my 4 year old granddaughter, the power steering on my 2012 Ford Fusion stopped working. I heard a warning noise and looked at the display panel. The panel reported a "steering assist" malfunction. The steering was very stiff and it was difficult to maneuver the vehicle. I was able to turn the car into a parking lot and stopped the engine. This same problem has happened again on May 15, 2015. I had it towed to nearest Ford service dept where they said they could not find anything wrong with the vehicle and sent me back on the road without any repairs.

- Arkadelphia, AR, USA

May 142015

Fusion

The contact owns a 2012 Ford Fusion. While driving approximately 60 mph, the stabilitrac warning light illuminated and the steering wheel became very difficult to turn. The vehicle was restarted and operated as normal. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 57,000.

- Glen Cove, NY, USA

May 012015

Fusion

I was driving home and while on a highway on ramp traveling approx. 30 mph, I lost power steering and the power steering warning light came across the dashboard and the service advancetrac now light came on. The problem has continued ever since with both lights remaining on as well as continuing to experience no power steering.

- Rochester, NY, USA

Apr 102015

Fusion 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2012 Ford Fusion. While driving approximately 30 mph, the steering wheel seized without warning. The vehicle was driven with caution to the dealer, who replaced the power steering gear. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 70,589. MA 08/17/15

- Madison Heights, MI, USA

May 112015

Fusion

Power steering has became very unresponsive. Steering is very stiff. Light came on saying service power steering. Also service accutrac system

- Valley Park, MO, USA

May 032015

Fusion

Without notice the power steering stops working. By turning the engine off and restarting the engine brings the power steering back to operational. This has happened 3 times within a week. The Ford dealership has determined the power steering module needs to be replaced. This vehicle is about 8 months out of warranty but under the mileage limit.

- Galloway, OH, USA

Apr 012015

Fusion 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2012 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that when starting the vehicle, the steering assist and the advanced trac warning lights illuminated. In addition, the steering wheel was difficult to maneuver. The vehicle was restarted and the vehicle resumed to normal. The failure occurred on another occasion. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 21,000. MA 08/17/15 the consumer stated the failure occurred on multiple occasions. The consumer received a recall notice for the failure. Updated 12/2/2015

- Alexander City, AL, USA