CarComplaints.com Notes: Power steering problems started rearing their ugly head in the 2010 Fusion, so you'd think Ford had plenty of time to make sure those problems didn't creep into the 2012. But here we are.

The Electronic Power Assist Steering (EPAS) is a mess. It fails at an alarming rate. Don’t believe us? Take a look at NHTSA’s data on the subject.

And much like the power steering, we’re still seeing the same throttle body failures that started in 2010 continue in 2012.

2012 Ford Fusion steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Ford Fusion:

2012 Ford Fusion Owner Comments (Page 9 of 24)

Apr 262014

Fusion

My car lost power pulling into a parking garage when I went on a road trip to springfield mass, the first time on 4/26/2015 it said it was shouting down that the ABS does this to protect it from over heating and then it would not let me steer, I then took it when I got back to Ford and they could not find any thing wrong with it, the next time it lost power was turning a corner in a parking lot on 5/21/2015 at the rite aid parking lot in rehoboth beach de it said on the screen power steering fault

- Rehoboth Beach , DE, USA

May 222015

Fusion

This is the second instance of my power steering going out. The first was while I was driving. I turned the car off and restarted and that issue went away the second was when I was pulling out of my garage. The power steering goes out and the following errors show on my dash. Power steering assist fault service advancetrac I have tried to restart the car but the issue still persists.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Fusion

I was driving on a highway going about 45mph then the stability control system icon turned on on my dash. I started to slow down and noticed that it took a lot more effort to steer the car. I started to slow to pull over to the side of the road and turning the steering wheel became almost impossible. There were cars behind me that had to come to and unexpected slow as I tried to get off of the road. I was able to pull over onto the side of the road in someones yard and turned the car off. During this time the messages "power steering assist fault" and "service advancetrac" were displaying on my dash. I turned the car off and back on and the same messages would show. I turned the car back off and call aaa to have my car towed on a flatbed to my local Ford dealer, athens Ford. They told me that my rack and pinion needed to be replaced and the wheels realinned. I asked how this happened and johnathan told me that the electrical component was defective and that there was no was for me to prevent it. The cost of the repair was estimated at $1800 and I had to get a rental for 2 days.

- Athens , GA, USA

Fusion

While returning home through neighborhood, the power steering failed and the warning light "service power steering now" and "service advancetrac" came on. No other advance notice and car has received all scheduled maintenance and inspections since purchased new. The car was unresponsive for tight maneuvering (e.g. turns in subdivision). Since speed was low in the neighborhood, the car could be stopped and accident avoided. Car was towed to Ford dealer.

- Spring, TX, USA

Fusion

While driving, the power steering went out and the advancetrack and steering lights came on. After towing to dealer, dealer claims the electronic power steering rack needs to be replaced.

- Elgin, IL, USA

May 042015

Fusion

Gear in steering column causing difficulty in steering at low speeds.

- Macomb, MI, USA

May 182015

Fusion

When I put the car into reverse to take my son to school a warning "power steering assist fault" was displayed on the dash. I shut the car off, turned it back on and the warning went away. I took my son to school in the car and when I returned home did some research. I found this site and saw the numerous issues others are having with the car, and don't feel safe to drive it.

- New Hartford, NY, USA

Apr 102015

Fusion

As I was driving home with my 4 year old granddaughter, the power steering on my 2012 Ford Fusion stopped working. I heard a warning noise and looked at the display panel. The panel reported a "steering assist" malfunction. The steering was very stiff and it was difficult to maneuver the vehicle. I was able to turn the car into a parking lot and stopped the engine. This same problem has happened again on May 15, 2015. I had it towed to nearest Ford service dept where they said they could not find anything wrong with the vehicle and sent me back on the road without any repairs.

- Arkadelphia, AR, USA

May 142015

Fusion

The contact owns a 2012 Ford Fusion. While driving approximately 60 mph, the stabilitrac warning light illuminated and the steering wheel became very difficult to turn. The vehicle was restarted and operated as normal. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 57,000.

- Glen Cove, NY, USA

May 012015

Fusion

I was driving home and while on a highway on ramp traveling approx. 30 mph, I lost power steering and the power steering warning light came across the dashboard and the service advancetrac now light came on. The problem has continued ever since with both lights remaining on as well as continuing to experience no power steering.

- Rochester, NY, USA

Apr 102015

Fusion 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2012 Ford Fusion. While driving approximately 30 mph, the steering wheel seized without warning. The vehicle was driven with caution to the dealer, who replaced the power steering gear. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 70,589. MA 08/17/15

- Madison Heights, MI, USA

May 112015

Fusion

Power steering has became very unresponsive. Steering is very stiff. Light came on saying service power steering. Also service accutrac system

- Valley Park, MO, USA

May 032015

Fusion

Without notice the power steering stops working. By turning the engine off and restarting the engine brings the power steering back to operational. This has happened 3 times within a week. The Ford dealership has determined the power steering module needs to be replaced. This vehicle is about 8 months out of warranty but under the mileage limit.

- Galloway, OH, USA

Apr 012015

Fusion 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2012 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that when starting the vehicle, the steering assist and the advanced trac warning lights illuminated. In addition, the steering wheel was difficult to maneuver. The vehicle was restarted and the vehicle resumed to normal. The failure occurred on another occasion. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 21,000. MA 08/17/15 the consumer stated the failure occurred on multiple occasions. The consumer received a recall notice for the failure. Updated 12/2/2015

- Alexander City, AL, USA

May 112015

Fusion

This vehicle has had 2 power steering failures in less than a year. Luckily both times were at low speed. It's just a matter of time until it happens at high-speed. This vehicle is only three years old and my wife is scared to drive it. The first time it happened it took all I had just to get it back in the carport. There is no way my wife could control it if it locked on her.I am aware of hundreds of complaints on this steering defect on this model vehicle. It's just a matter of time before someone is injured or killed, if it hasn't happened already.

- Sulphur , LA, USA

May 082015

Fusion

"power steering fault" light came on at startup. Turned vehicle off and started again and light went away. I believe steering rack will have to be replaced at a cost of $1500 to $2000. From my research it appears this is a common problem with Ford Fusion and Ford is not acknowledging there is a problem.

- Poteet, TX, USA

Feb 252015

Fusion 6-cyl

While traveling at low speeds in a parking lot, while steering, the power steering felt to intermittently stop functioning. Steering control required force and additional input. This problem would come and go. This has happened approximately 8 separate occasions and has been addressed at multiple service and repair appointments with my dealership's service department, but so far they have not been able to replicate the problem, therefore the problem has not been identified, and therefore not repaired. Complaint to my service department and Ford customer service has not resolved the matter.

- Gardnerville, NV, USA

Apr 172015

Fusion 4-cyl

I was driving straight down the interstate at cruising speed and a warning chime sounded (like occurs when you reach 50 miles left in the tank). The following messages appeared on the dash "power steering assist fault" and "service advancetrac." I checked and had no power steering. This was the case the rest of the trip (about 30 minutes) and steering was very difficult. Once I arrived at my destination, I turned off the car and then started it again. The power steering worked at that point. It has not happened again to date.

- Urbandale, IA, USA

Apr 162015

Fusion 4-cyl

My Ford Fusion lost power steering which I need to have fixed, very dangerous to drive! when I contacted Ford I was told we are no longer under warranty! which I can't believe they don't stand behind. You don't just loose power steering in a car after so many miles, do you?? with that said, currently its being serviced at a Ford dealership and we are expected to pay 2200- for the repair without a guarantee it won't happen again. I noticed there is a recall on 2013 and 2015 for the exact problem! not a happy camper with Ford at all.... this should be a recall on all years, its a defect!

- Plymouth, MA, USA

Apr 282015

Fusion 4-cyl

Power steering failure, advance track get service message on console. Driving slowly uphill power steering fails in middle of turn almost causing collision with barriers. Luckily no other cars on road in front or behind. Turned car off and back on temporarily fixed.

- Tucson , AZ, USA