Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2013 Fusion doesn’t have the same track record of power steering failure as the previous 3 model years. Of course, those owners said their steering failed at 60k–100k miles. So this appears to be a classic "wait and see" scenario.

In the meantime, there’s plenty of interior accessory problems to complain about. By themselves, each is a barely a blip on the radar. But combined, they give you that feeling of what the hell have I gotten myself into?

2013 Ford Fusion accessories - exterior problems

accessories - exterior problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Ford Fusion:

2013 Ford Fusion Owner Comments

Aug 302016

Windshield wipers. Wipers are way to slow. In the rain it is super hard to see and you have no visibility. All you could do is pull over, which is most of the time inconvenient or hope that you don't get in a accident. Even moderate rain is hard see. Its a shame that older cars is safer than a 2013 Ford Fusion. I was going down a road that has a speed limit of 55 in hard rain, I obviously was doing a slower speed limit due to the danger of the rain and my vehicle's slow wipers. My visibility got so bad that I decided that I had no choice to turn to the right on a road that would give me access to a super walmart. My visibility was so bad that I could not turn in to the walmart parking lot because I could not see anything in front of me in order for me to continue on the road and make a safe left hand turn. I had to put my flashing lights on and use my left window to find my way down the path of the turning lane and out of the straight lanes. At this point I put the defog button on for the window and it helped a little bit. The rain started to slow down so I was able to continue on the road with limited visibility. I live in Florida, it rains a lot here. This vehicle is very dangerous for me driving around here.

- Orlando, FL, USA

Mar 162015

The windshield wiper motors and mounts became loose after only 30,000 miles and now the wipers skip and do not clear the windshield off when it is raining. This happens whether the car is moving or not. I changed wipers 4 times until I took it to a body shop where they determined the cause. Whenever it rains, I have severely limited visibility. I cannot get it fixed because it costs too much.

- Rockford, MI, USA

Nov 192015

I took my 2013 Ford Fusion (then still under warranty) to the dealer in September 2014 because my wipers were sometimes bouncing/ vibrating (at times violently) when the vehicle was running, and would hesitate intermittently as they moved across the windshield. They claimed they could not duplicate the problem and dismissed it. They claimed they didn't know what it was. I videotaped the problem shortly after I picked-up the car and shared the youtube link with the dealer. Video link: Https:// I lived with it until a year later (November, 2015) when the wipers ceased working in heavy rain at speed on the highway. I lost visibility immediately. I was barely able to get off the road. When the rain slowed, I made my way to the dealer again and reminded them of the problem a year earlier. They diagnosed a wiper motor failure and--in spite of my earlier visit under warranty with the wiper problem--declined to fix it unless I paid for the repair as the car was now no longer under warranty. I could not drive the car without the repair, thus I was at the mercy of the dealer for a $533 bill, which I paid. I believe the failure of the wipers on the highway was a very serious safety concern that could have been prevented had the dealer serviced the vehicle when I brought the problem to their attention in 2014. I was fortunate that failure did not cause an accident. I can only assume the dealer failed to make the repair under warranty because of the cost. The failure of the wiper motors was gradual and provided ample warning for the dealer, but they failed to acknowledge it in a timely way. In the future, problems such as the vibration and hesitation that telegraph potential wiper failure should be dealt with immediately when brought to a dealer's attention.

- Eldersburg, MD, USA

Jul 132015

When the car was started it indicated a safety sensor wasn't working. Everything else seemed fine. While driving down the road the air/defrost system stopped working causing windows to fog, I also lost control over the volume and all of the console systems. Only 2 of the windows would go down. Before I was able to pull over (about 5 minutes) everything started working and at the same time while driving my electronic seat started moving forward. Finally stopping maybe in one of the pre-programed positions. We have had prior issues this past winter with losing control over the console controls and the heat shutting off. This is the first time having issues with the seat moving on its own while driving. Nothing was done because we were informed that there was no code given when we brought it in to be fixed and since it was not exhibiting the problem at the time it was in the shop there was nothing they could do. We have been trying to get the electric windows fixed since owning the car. The fact that they only work intermittently may or may not be related to these other incidents.

- Orient, OH, USA

Feb 062015

Fusion 4-cyl

Took vehicle in for a number of issues, two of which were the left turn signal would shut off prematurely to completing a left hand turn and also both side view mirrors (mostly drivers side) would always reset itself to some random position other than the one I set them too whenever the vehicle would receive power, (when car is off and I would either open any door or press unlock on key fob or use keyless entry) mirror issue is easily duplicated (turn car off and open door to cut power, close door, lock car, and must wait at least 1 minute for all power to fully shut off, then unlock car and mirrors would randomly move around, almost as if they were trying to calibrate themselves) dealer witnessed mirror issue as it's easily recreated, did a bunch of updates of various control modules and then said car is fixed. Car was however not fixed as I went to use my turn signal to exit dealer parking lot, the turn signals now would not stay on at all for either turning direction. I must now hold up or down on turn signal lever in order to keep signals blinking, also the mirrors still randomly move when energizing vehicle. Dealer unable to trouble shoot issue further as tech was leaving now much drive my car with malfunction mirrors and even worse turn signal issue caused by the updates they did perform. Unhappy and no courtesy vehicle offered.

- Barrie, CA, USA

Feb 022015

Fusion 4-cyl

The driver side wiper stopped working at 37900 miles.

- Canton, MI, USA

Jan 192015

Fusion 4-cyl

When returning to vehicle I noticed the my Ford touch radio was still on. Went to drive away in car and power steering failed to work. All turn signal indicators failed to work as I drove away. The defrost, heating, and cooling controls failed to work. The speedometer failed to work. The 2 lcd screens on the dashboard with the fuel display and tachometer displayed only a white background. The power door locks failed to work. The radio will not turn off when the vehicle is exited and the problems where also repeated at the vehicle dealership. This is a safety issue when the power steering, turn signals, speedometer and defrost fail to work with no warning.

- White Lake, MI, USA

Oct 102013

Fusion 4-cyl

I was driving on the highway and it started to rain heavily. The wipers at high speed were not clearing the rain effectively and it was hard to see anything on the road. I almost had an accident with a car merging from a ramp on the highway and I couldn't tell that there was one car coming in since I couldn't see a thing. I have had a 1999 century Buick before this and never had such a problem. And it has seen way heavier rains than this one. I went to the dealer and was told that there was nothing wrong with the wipers. This car has a very ineffective wiper system that does not clear the rain and infact is hazardous in pouring rain.

- Bellevue, WA, USA

Jun 202013

Fusion 4-cyl

It began raining hard and the wipers were on high speed, but when they moved outward I could not see because water was blinding me, had to slow down to about 40mph just to avoid running off road or into a car. Could not see out windshield at all. I have never had wipers like these, and I don't feel safe in my car in rain. Going to see if Ford can change intermittent wipers out to what most cars have. If not then we may have to get rid of this car. Driving blind is what it's like driving in heavy rain.

- Pontotoc, MS, USA

Jan 292013

Please note, this form would not allow me to select wipers as the affected part. The only option that appeared was wheels. Please correct if possible. While driving, snow that had accumulated on the roof of the car slid on the windshield. The motion of the wipers pushed the snow down and towards the center of the windshield. The snow prohibited the wipers to move in either direction causing me to not be able to see the road. The design of the wipers appears to allow excess snow to be forced in the lower middle portion of the windshield causing the wipers to not be able to reverse direction if when the control lever is toggled.

- De Pere, WI, USA