Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2013 Fusion doesn’t have the same track record of power steering failure as the previous 3 model years. Of course, those owners said their steering failed at 60k–100k miles. So this appears to be a classic "wait and see" scenario.

In the meantime, there’s plenty of interior accessory problems to complain about. By themselves, each is a barely a blip on the radar. But combined, they give you that feeling of what the hell have I gotten myself into?

2013 Ford Fusion engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Ford Fusion:

2013 Ford Fusion Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Dec 032015

The contact owns a 2013 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that while driving at approximately 25 mph, the engine stalled without warning. The vehicle did restart. The vehicle was not taken to a dealer. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 77,000.

- Chesaning, MI, USA

Mar 122014

(takata recall) I hereby state that I was in a motor vehicle accident with this vehicle with no fault of my own. At the time of the accident 03/15/2014 this vehicle should have been totaled out but was not done so.the airbags did not deploy with the way and the impact that I was hit by other party. I than took this vehicle numerous of times to hasting Ford in greenville nc where they was suppose to have researched and properly checked and fixed everything detailed. I am yet to this day still having problems with this vehicle shifting gears caused by accident, body is coming apart, camara is not working and I am still suffering from the bodily injuries of my hip being shifted from accident. I am seeking legal attorneys at this time due to I feel that Ford could have taken better care and replaced this vehicle knowingly that this vehicle is not safe to me the custom. At this point I do feel that Ford should be responsible for any suffering and vehicle experience that I am enduring at this time. I would like to say thank you for your moral support. I was traveling down the main highway when another vehicle came from a side road driving 60 mph without breaking speed crashing into my 2013 Ford Fusion.the accident occurred in wake county nc. Around 12:45 P.M.

- Winterville, NC, USA

Oct 052015

The contact owns a 2013 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that the engine overheated and leaked fluid into the wires causing the vehicle to shut off. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the issue. The failure mileage was 72,000.

- Gulfport, FL, USA

Sep 082015

First problem with the car was having problems with first starting it in the morning with it acting as if it wasnt getting gas until I stepped on the accelerator while in park, dealership claimed it was a cracked water pump. Then the check engine light came on while driving, they replaced head gasket and intake gasket due to the code from the check engine light. Then the car stopped accelerating on the interstate and when I pulled over and turned it off it made loud cracking noises and wouldnt start. Dealership says a piece underneath the water pump fell off they believe it was defective because the bolt was half the size it was suppose to be and ruined the engine. First problems started in may until most recent one in Sept.

- Council Bluffs, IA, USA

Jun 242013

The contact owns a 2013 Ford Fusion. While driving approximately 35 mph, the vehicle began to violently vibrate and then stalled. The transmission warning indicator illuminated. The vehicle failed to restart and was towed to the dealer. The vehicle was not diagnosed. The vehicle was previously repaired and the motor mounts were replaced. In addition, while idling, the brake pedal was depressed and the vehicle rolled unintentionally. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 8,900.

- Brooklyn, NY, USA

Jul 072013

The transmissions shutters at all speeds. The car stalls on red lights. The car stalls going around curves. The car stalls going both up and down hills. Ford put out and "extended warrant" but does not have the parts to fix the problem. We have talked to two different dealers and a regional manager for Ford, but nothing is getting done.

- Caryville, TN, USA

Dec 112014

This is a case of multiple incidents, first incident with significant issue was on 12/11/2014. As I was pulling out of my driveway and reversing across two lanes of traffic, my car turned off and said "press brake to start" (I have the push-start-ignition). The car turned off as I was revering across the street, I had to put the car in park in order to restart the car. I restarted the car and drove it to the dealership, which they have never heard of this issue and said they could not get me in for an appointment until 12/15. On 12/14/2014, as I was driving down the road at ~25mph, my car started to act like it was going to quit, before I could pull off to the side of the road, the car turned off and said "press brake to start" I was able to get the car to the side of the road, as I did I put the car in park and tried to restart the car and it just kept rolling over and I had to push the start button to get it to stop, as I did, the brakes and steering wheel locked and I had to have the car towed to the dealership. The dealership had the car for 3 days, could not find an issue. I filed a complaint with Ford and they have closed my case saying there is not an issue. It is now at a 2nd dealership where they can not find an issue. I have been told by Ford to continue driving my car until the issue happens again, which is a major concern for my personal and others safety as I am driving down the road. When the car quits, I have hardly any control over the vehicle and luckily I have been going at slow pace, but I do not feel safe driving this car and feel like Ford has given up on me. This car has been nothing but problems since I've had it with 9 recalls and now this issue, I am concerned that I am not the only person having this issue and would like to have the problem addressed before someone is in a serious accident. Updated 2/11/16

- Snover, MI, USA

Nov 202014

Fusion 4-cyl

I was driving sw bound on hwy 20 in loganville, ga when my car surged and powered off at 50 mph ¿the vehicle turned off on a very busy road. I just bought this car last year. This is the second time this has happened this first time it happened Ford replaced my entire steering column. I had zero steering capability, the engine was off and unresponsive and all of my electronic panels went dark except for a message saying "transmission is not in park" and the engine warning light (yellow) came on. I was able to hit the hazard lights and barely inch to the right side on the highway. There was a truck behind me that had to make an evasive lange change maneuver to the left in order to avoid collision. Once I came to a stop I immediately turned my video camera on my phone and started documenting what was happening in the vehicle. I have this video readily available for you if you need it to further your investigation.

- Loganville, GA, USA

May 232014

Fusion 4-cyl

2013 Ford Fusion SE 2.0lt ecoboost engine - bought March 2014 about 33,000 miles. My issues started around the end of May 2014. 1. when coming to an idle my car always acts like it is going to stall. It idles really hard and the rpms always jump real low. There are never any warning lights/messages that appear. 2. extremely poor gas mileage - this is a 4 cylinder and an ecoboost that should be getting a hell of a lot better gas mileage - city and highway! my 2012 Fusion V6 had wayyyy better mpg. I have read in forums about both of these 2 issues and found related problems. Ford wanted $180 just to 'look' at my driveability. Just to plug my car computer into their scanner. There are no recalls on this for my specific car even though I am finding a lot of the same issues as some recalls on other model Fusion. I should not have to pay for this to be fixed, this is fault of Ford. 3. my A/C system stopped blowing cold air at 36,816 miles!!! still no warnings active and Ford wants $120 just to 'look' at it - and charge me more to fix any issues it has. While reading some forums I have noticed several recalls/same issues for this and some say that the A/C pipe is faulty and leaks. But my specific car does not have those recalls so Ford will not fix issue. And again, I should not have to pay for faulty parts! disgusted!!!!! please correct the recalls so I can drive safely.

- Tucson, AZ, USA

Mar 132014

Fusion 4-cyl

While driving North on I-25 with cruise control set at 75mph, suddenly the vehicle stop forward acceleration and instantly began decreasing speed. Immediately, I stepped on the accelerator to no available power. The engine refused to communication with the accelerator as the RPM would just increase but no actual power was given to the vehicle. I tried multiple times to get the vehicle to respond but eventually had to pull over because no power was available. Even after somehow avoid 3 lanes of constant traffic, I attempted to start driving again without shutting the vehicle down. During this point all that would still happen was the vehicle would rev the RPM's, but not propulsion was available. I had to shutdown the car completely on the highway shoulder in order to get the car to respond to any time of gas demands. I have heard about the throttle body issue many customers have been experiencing and believe I have the same issue. This is a huge safety concern because losing power while in cruise control at 75mph can lead to catastrophic results. I believe that this needs to be looked into because it causes immediate panic from the driver as they attempt to drive safely out of the traffic. This is the second time this has happened to me in this vehicle. The first time, Ford mechanics blamed the problem on the recalled fuel pump and replaced it. Since clearly that was not the remedy to this problem, I believe that more investigation should be done to understand the full scope of the immediate loss of power that myself and many other have experienced.

- Westminster, CO, USA

Mar 072014

Fusion 4-cyl

While driving at slow speeds (0-10 mph) the vehicle accelerates on its own. Sometimes when pressing the accelerator the vehicle doesn't respond, causing me to have to further press the accelerator, and when the vehicle suddenly responds, it rapidly accelerates.

- Irvine, CA, USA

Oct 232013

I was driving my 2013 1.6 liter Ford Fusion on 10/23/2013 and the engine overheated. My vehicle had to be towed to the dealership. I looked up my VIN number on Ford because after this all happened I heard about Fusion being recalled for this same problem. According to Ford my VIN number my was not under the recalled Ford Fusion that had the overheating problem. The dealership said that the coolant had leaked into the engine and had caused it to overheat. This sounds exactly like the recall to me. I had no idea about the recall until after this happen to me so I didn't get out of my car. My car could of had an engine fire like some of the recalled ones have had. I am very upset with Ford. I believe that they still have a problem and more Fusion need to be recalled. It is sad that Ford is selling these cars to people and they could still be unsafe.

- Kearney, MO, USA

Aug 262013

The contact owns a 2013 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds, the vehicle stalled unexpectedly. The failure was sporadically recurring. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where the mechanic was unable to duplicate the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was 9,700. The current mileage was 12,999.

- Grand Prairie, TX, USA

Sep 262013

Fusion 4-cyl

I was driving to an appointment, and ran late because of the failure. I stopped at a stoplight, and tried to take off, but then the car went into "limp home" mode. I hobbled the car across the intersection, and then began to use my obd II code reader that I purchased for a different vehicle, and read the code. It was P2011, and cleared it the car ran fine for a while, but the problem was still there. I went to the Ford dealership the next day, purchased the new "updated" throttle body. I got it over to my uncle's shop, were I replaced the old throttle body with the new one. I have been driving with the new throttle body, and have not had any problems since.

- Barltesville, OK, USA

Aug 252013

Fusion 6-cyl

While cruising at about 45mph the car suddenly decelerated, the orange wrench light came on, and the car would not accelerate. While idling, the engine was shaking abnormally. This is the third time this has occurred, once at 40mph cruising, and once at about 65mph accelerating. All three incidents have happened about 200 miles apart. All three times I was (barely) able to pull over and restart the vehicle. Each time the car took longer than usual to turn over. Previous to this, there were several incidents when downshifting from overdrive into a passing gear. When the car shifted down, the transmission would thump and shift abnormally hard. The orange wrench light would then come on. I could still accelerate but I would have the same "hard" shift every time I accelerated fast enough to for the automatic transmission to switch into a passing gear. When slowing down to a stop, the car would surge forward each time it down shifted. After a restart the problem was temporarily remedied, until I tried to accelerate while in overdrive again.

- Hamburg, NY, USA

Jul 012013

This incident occurred at the beginning of summer.the engine idle does not advance when the airconditioner is placed in service. While stopped in the driveway or at stop signs or red lightes. Engine idles very can feel it in the steering wheel and the gearshift and the floor pan. Have complained to Ford and the local Ford dealership and have been told this is normal, or there is no code to tell the smart techies what to look for.a 25000 dollar car that idles like a model T.I am very disappointed in Ford for not at least trying to correct this problem.turn the air off...engine vibration goes away.I just wondered if anyone else out there in Ford land has this problem.last visit to Ford dealership was 7-25-13. No joy.

- Muscle Shoals, AL, USA

Jun 122013

On two occasions the vehicle spontaneously accelerated while backing out and pulling into the garage. This happened with 2 different drivers and conditions were similar with very low speeds and we were able to stop the vehicle both times by applying the brakes.

- Circleville, OH, USA

May 142013

Ok, I traded in my 2009 Fusion 6 cyl for the 2013 1.8 ecco boost. Obviously when I test drove it I drove under normal conditions. At any rate, when you need to pass and step on the gas pedal the car hesitates and seems to have no power at all. The gas miliage is around 22 mile per gallon highway. No where near what was advertised. I was told this engine was comperable to my V6. No way! has anyone else reported this issue? in addition the sync system keeps freezing up on phone calls.

- Brandon, FL, USA

Nov 122012

Fusion 4-cyl

While driving to work on the highway 65-mph the engine shuts off without warning, the instrumental panel starts acting up as if you are turning on and off the key. They found a lose wire to the instrumental cluster on the second time they replaced the instrumental cluster. It has been taken back six times and now the dashboard shuts down and I lose lights, signals, and other electronic features. I have lost power steering and brakes in between. They offered me an extended warranty"?" it is a shame that a consumer who buys a car from a dealership has to go through the grinder just to get out of their lemon. I just want to get out of this vehicle.

- Coral Springs, FL, USA

Dec 022012

Fusion 4-cyl

While driving on a city road with my foot on the gas at 35-40mph, the transmission erratically shifted into a lower gear on the transmission, causing the engine rpms to near instantaneously to go from 1750-2000rpms to just over 4000rpms. Through the RPM increase the vehicle maintained the previous 35-40mph speed. Ultimately, was forced to brake to bring the engine rpms down.

- Atlanta, GA, USA